Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confederate Flag

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

jimgoose wrote: »
    Umm, or maybe harking back to the fact that it's the same colour as Cork GAA, and symbolizes for many stoic, ferocious resistance in the face of an impossible opponent?

Waterford?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

hmm, a quick check of who currently rules this country says otherwise. Besides the confederate flag represents failure on many levels not just militarily.

Nice Euro ignorance there, America is not one monolithic entity. The South has it's own heritage and culture, hence many feel an affinity for the old battle standard.

Irish tricoulour represents failure too. How's that united Ireland working out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Why are the Irish suddenly so offended by this flag? Just because it's in the American media?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, strange to be carrying the flag of failure, all right.
    It isn't a question of doing what one likes and feck anyone to tells you otherwise. Its offensive to black people. That's why one does not use it.

We again have the mealy mouthed lecture from the GAA county chairman, that we heard 3 years ago. Do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    Nice Euro ignorance there, America is not one monolithic entity. The South has it's own heritage and culture, hence many feel an affinity for the old battle standard.

Irish tricoulour represents failure too. How's that united Ireland working out?

a heritage and culture built on discrimination and bigotry. something to be proud of i'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

seachto7 wrote: »
    Why are the Irish suddenly so offended by this flag? Just because it's in the American media?

Oh, I forgot, we don't have any black Irish people, so no one in this country can get offended.

a heritage and culture built on discrimination and bigotry. something to be proud of i'm sure.

And? Every culture has dark sides. You ever hear about the New York draft riots? Where the Irish lynched blacks because they had no intention of dying for black slaves.

Better not take pride if you're a Turk. Pretty big history of slavery there.

Who's offended? Most are just pointing out that they're being contrarian arseholes flyingbthat flag despite it being clearly explained what it actually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Who's offended? Most are just pointing out that they're being contrarian arseholes flyingbthat flag despite it being clearly explained what it actually means.

And? The perpetually offended need to take offense like others need to breathe.

• Advertisement

So, all black people are perpetually offended???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

seamus wrote: »

But distance changes persective. In Asia, Hitler and the Nazi symbol are more associated with strength and authority than genocide and hatred, and will appear on clothing without a hint of irony.
    In their defence the swastika has been used in Indian and Asian cultures for centauries to symbolise the four compass points, four winds, and harmony in all things. Dunno about Hitler though.

Because it's recently gone from being basically a quick way to spot a racist redneck to being an active symbol of Neo Nazis and White Supremacists, Holocaust deniers, and all-round racist dicks.

My friend who lives in Birmingham Al told me his friend hangs a huge Confederate flag in his bedroom. He also regularly brings home black girls.

God knows what they make of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

jimgoose wrote: »
    No it doesn't. What it says is the Northern Virginia battle-flag was used in the top-left canton of the CSA flag between 1863 and 1865, the rest of the flag being white.

Beat me to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What did or does the british flag say about slaves and non-whites?

Nothing.

The only thing that set the confederates apart from the other states was their anti-abolition status. That's what the flag stood for.

The only thing that sets Britain aside from other countries is geography. Or if you want to be pedantic, fealty to the throne. Therefore that's what the british flag stands for.

There are people out there eternally offended. People in Ireland getting worked up about the confederate flag clearly have little to be worrying about. Likewise people getting worked up about a british band flying a british flag clearly need to get a hobby.

On the flipside it says a lot about the Irish people who would fly the confederate flag in a positive context. They were racist hicks who got their arses handed to them in a civil war. Why you would place yourself under that flag is beyond me, unless you're just a moron.

But distance changes persective. In Asia, Hitler and the Nazi symbol are more associated with strength and authority than genocide and hatred, and will appear on clothing without a hint of irony.

I'm sure there are Chinese people aghast at Chairman Mao's face appearing jovially on posters and clothing in Ireland. And plenty of South Americans bewildered at the proliferation of Che as the image of a honourable revolutionary.

The British flag may say lots about slaves depending who you ask. What do native Americans think of the US flag?

The Confederacy was also based on geography.

It's patently obvious it represents south pride and separatism to a lot of people rather than racism.

So no more dukes of hazard :(

Or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

PDVD_030_orig.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, but those guys couldn't even spell their band name correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Always wondered why Native Americans don't kick up more fuss about statues of Sherman, Lincoln, Jefferson, Andrew Jackson etc when it comes to themselves as those people murdered lots of Native Americans under the US flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

The swastika predates Hitler and the Nazis by a huge amount. It's use in Asia has absolutely nothing to do with Hitler or Naziism. It's a religious symbol associated with good luck and well-being.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, but those guys couldn't even spell their band name correctly.

..which is why they made their first album a helpful guide to pronouncing their name correctly. :D

610f0a903bd2a9629d77fceebd81db7f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

seagull wrote: »
    The swastika predates Hitler and the Nazis by a huge amount. It's use in Asia has absolutely nothing to do with Hitler or Naziism. It's a religious symbol associated with good luck and well-being.

Yeah I heard of this as well, the negative connotations associated with it came about due to Hitler and co. hijacking it during the last century but before that this was the original association.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

There a pub in Kells called the Kelltic. On the stained glass at the front door it reads "KKK", got a few funny looks during the Sondheim Cup a few years back when there were lots of Murican ladies around

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

I feel a Johnny Rebel song comin on

Here's a genuine question: do you think ANYONE protesting in Charlottesville at the moment, on EITHER side of the controversy there gives a rat's ass that somebody who speaks in an accent they could not understand, brings a flag to a game they could not understand because of its extremely oblique reference (the word "rebel") to a cause about which they know nothing?

I think they have more immediate concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Here's a genuine question: do you think ANYONE protesting in Charlottesville at the moment, on EITHER side of the controversy there gives a rat's ass that somebody who speaks in an accent they could not understand, brings a flag to a game they could not understand because of its extremely oblique reference (the word "rebel") to a cause about which they know nothing?

maybe, they seem to feed off outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Infini wrote: »
    Yeah I heard of this as well, the negative connotations associated with it came about due to Hitler and co. hijacking it during the last century but before that this was the original association.

He is probably referring to this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_imagery_in_Thailand not the use of the Swastika in Buddhism and a few other religions. They actually have SS styled t-shirts and everything, mad altogether but need to remember that the Nazi's had nothing to do with that part of the world and they only look at it for an image point of view. Its no different to how Che Guevara is seen as a hero in Western European/America compared to how he is seen in south America.

As for the Confederate flag, I have no idea why any ejjet feels the need to bring that to a GAA match, same for the Rising Sun Japanese flag. I certainly wouldn't assume they were racist anyway, ignorant of what the US Civil War and the following civil rights movements perhaps but this recent controversy just seems to be jumping on the bandwagon from America. The flag has been floating around for a long time, why are they suddenly so upset by it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Here's another genuine question: does anyone think its appropriate for a neo-Nazi, racist symbol to be waved at sports events?

kylith wrote: »
    Here's another genuine question: does anyone think its appropriate for a neo-Nazi, racist symbol to be waved at sports events?

How about the morality police stay out of it and let the fans be?

Resist ZOG wrote: »
    How about the morality police stay out of it and let the fans be?

That's not an answer.

• Advertisement

That's not an answer.

It is. So yer offended? Grand, go blog about it so.

Advertisement