Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Visa Cards in 2113 more like... Slow bank is slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Bps wrote: »
    Just spoke to Aib card centre and they said the date has been pushed back to October now !
    Which means it probably won't happen in 2012 after all! :p

It was always October. From 3rd September, the pilot begins (as per Graciefacey's comments), and then national roll-out a few weeks later. You have to remember that they have over a million cards to replace - it ain't gonna happen overnight

To put it into perspective, even if they did 2,000 cards a day, it would still take more than 2 years to get to everyone. Obviously, they intend to go faster than that (I think I remember them saying that they hoped to have everyone rolled over by next summer) - so it is a phenomenal amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^

I thought they were only issuing as requested, or as card expires.

Basq wrote: »
    ^

I thought they were only issuing as requested, or as card expires.

Can't remember where I read a detailed timeline. Looking at this article, it's saying they hope to complete the rollout within 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

i am wondering why people are making such a fuss about this ?

do none of you people have a credit card ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

green123 wrote: »

No, for example banks dont give me a credit card, have been living here for 3 years, and everytime i apply, i get an answer, you dont have credit history, we cant give you a credit card.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Is not as easy as that. Credit Cards can tempt people into spending money they may not have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

No, and I don't want a credit card, too tempting to be spend-happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Because maybe they want to use it as a debit style card rather than a "credit" one and spending money they don't have.

Also, credit card companies are more selective about issuing credit cards to people now and tend to decline people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bps

Some of us can't afford credit cards anymore. Hence the desire to have a visa debit card. Visa is much more widely accepted. Particularly abroad. I can afford to spend what I have. Not what I don't have on credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Is not as easy as that. Credit Cards can tempt people into spending money they may not have
    Vahevala wrote: »
    Because maybe they want to use it as a debit style card rather than a "credit" one and spending money they don't have.

anybody who cant control their own spending needs to be told to cop on and grow up.

Some of us can't afford credit cards anymore. Hence the desire to have a visa debit card. Visa is much more widely accepted. Particularly abroad. I can afford to spend what I have. Not what I don't have on credit card.

credit cards dont cost anything if you use them properly and pay them off in full every month. if you dont have the money to pay it off in full then dont spend it.

of course visa is much more widely accepted so get a visa credit card and learn how to use it properly.

and if you dont have the money to afford credit cards anymore then how can you afford trips abroad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

anybody who cant control their own spending needs to be told to cop on and grow up.

credit cards dont cost anything if you use them properly and pay them off in full every month. if you dont have the money to pay it off in full then dont spend it.

of course visa is much more widely accepted so get a visa credit card and learn how to use it properly.

and if you dont have the money to afford credit cards anymore then how can you afford trips abroad ?

Criteria for issuing credit cards have become DRASTICALLY tougher since the financial crisis. A lot of people simply cannot get them anymore.

Also, a large % of the global population find credit cards too tempting to be able to manage them properly. They're also lethally dangerous to give to teenagers etc who have perfectly valid reasons to want to shop online (within a budget).

Telling everyone to 'grow up' won't really help the situation.

However, well done on managing your credit card so well.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Vahevala wrote: »

Lucky for you the recession isn't affecting you. I had a visa credit card an got rid of it. I travel with work and need to pay for hotels using a credit card. Laser is not accepted abroad. If you have a problem with people who can't afford a credit card but require a visa debit card for certain things you should stop looking at this forum. People are discussing when Aib are going to issue the card. Nobody asked to be criticised. You don't know people's personal circumstances so less of the high and mighty attitude towards people and their ability or inability to pay off credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommytwotimes

Got my VISA Debit card from BOI at the weekend, gives you two months to cancel your old card or they will do it for you, then refers you to the terms and conditions page, where you can accept the T&C's or not. If not, they will cancel your old card anyway.
    No choice really so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Has anyone gone to AIB asking for a visa yet ?? What's the story with them issuing the cards from today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

I am a grown up and I control my own spending and don't expect such ignorant comments when I post on this site.

I am a grown up and I control my own spending and don't expect such ignorant comments when I post on this site.

Well said head_honcho.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..and with that, we all stopped sniping and went back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭marko_polo1234

Told you guys it wasnt coming out til October

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Told you guys it wasnt coming out til October

Is this confirmed?

• Advertisement

Nolimits wrote: »
    Is this confirmed?

It's available since yesterday in certain branches, with all branches offering it from October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

dotsman wrote: »
    It's available since yesterday in certain branches, with all branches offering it from October.
    do you know what branches

Random wrote: »
    do you know what branches

Don't have a definitive list, but Graciefacey's comments above sound about right.
    Bankcentre, lynchs castle, and few Dublin/kildare. Few weeks later and its national roll out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Rang AIB Stillorgan yesterday as my current laser expires at the end of the

month to see if I would be issued with Visa debit the answer was No new Laser

will be issued until roll out of Visa debit in Oct.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Has anyone gone to AIB asking for a visa yet ?? What's the story with them issuing the cards from today.

I asked in the drogheda branch today and she said sometime in january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I rang Santry branch , was told they have no plans to issue them at present but definitely by first half of 2013

L5 wrote: »
    I rang Santry branch , was told they have no plans to issue them at present but definitely by first half of 2013

Seems there is no consistency in what people are being told.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

L5 wrote: »
    This is absolutely definitively untrue. All staff received visa debit training in the past month so I can't understand the utter inaccuracy of this statement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

On the phone to the local branch. They're replacing cards that have expired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

On the phone to the local branch. They're replacing cards that have expired.

What branch is that?
    What about "lost" cards do you know?

Advertisement