Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,382 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jaydoxx wrote: »
    Hi I just set up an account with AIB yesterday and I'm to get my card in the coming week. My question is can I switch to a Visa debit card or am I stuck with this until it expires? If I can get a visa debit card, will I be charged to replace it?

I know the thread title and your question relate to AIB but for what it's worth, I just got a BOI Visa Debit card and the covering letter says that in order to activate it, I need to use it for any transaction in a BOI ATM at which point my old ATM/Laser card will be cancelled and if I don't use the new card, my existing card will expire in two months time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

That wouldn't be too bad, I rarely use my laser cards anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

is there any word on when AIB will issue visa debits?
    just got my laser debit, which i dont see myself using as ive got a TSB visa so was wondering if theres any word on this as AIB is much more convenient for me

TheGunns wrote: »
    is there any word on when AIB will issue visa debits?
    just got my laser debit, which i dont see myself using as ive got a TSB visa so was wondering if theres any word on this as AIB is much more convenient for me

Yeah I was in AIB only an hour ago and they said they're planning to switch everyone over in October. They're aiming for the first week. And I've read here that they'll issue the new cards to any account opened from the 1st of September, I didn't get confirmation on that date exactly, but she did say that if you really want one before you're entitled to receive one, that I should just say I lost the card!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

haha yeah it sure is a wonder how they can't manage a single switchover that makes so much sense in the modern world, laser simply wasn't a good investment was it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

jaydoxx wrote: »
    Yeah I was in AIB only an hour ago and they said they're planning to switch everyone over in October. They're aiming for the first week. And I've read here that they'll issue the new cards to any account opened from the 1st of September, I didn't get confirmation on that date exactly, but she did say that if you really want one before you're entitled to receive one, that I should just say I lost the card!:p

Would this have anything to do with all cashsave accounts being changed over to current. I'd much rather a visa debit card , even some places (mostly online) that display Maestro dont accept laser.

handy enough though as theyll just send out the cards in a month or two and dont have to get it myself, at least i hope!
    Laser was/is a terrible idea, visa would have been so much handier rather than investing in a payment method only accepted in Ireland. Visa Debit are awfully handy though so thank god AIB have seen the light

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

im confused ?
    i got a new card today

a laser maestro with aib
    they said they will be sending me out a new visa debit card
    this card is not a visa!!! its a ****ty laser card which i cant buy anything online with

i dont understand at all haha
    they said they will be sending me a visa debit card
    and yet i get a laser/maestro debit card?
    makes no sense to me at all

saiint wrote: »
    im confused ?
    i got a new card today

a laser maestro with aib
    they said they will be sending me out a new visa debit card
    this card is not a visa!!! its a ****ty laser card which i cant buy anything online with

i dont understand at all haha
    they said they will be sending me a visa debit card
    and yet i get a laser/maestro debit card?
    makes no sense to me at all

Thanks god you said that. I thought i misread the letter and they said a laser card. I knew it was supposed to be a visa debit coming not laser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Hiya the visa debit cards haven't started being issued out just yet shouldn't be too long more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

cazzak79 wrote: »
    Hiya the visa debit cards haven't started being issued out just yet shouldn't be too long more

does that mean when i get the visa debit card
    i can throw away this laser one? or that this laser one is only a replacement for my old debit card until the visa one comes?
    they havnt exactly explained it
    and i cant get into them due to my work hours
    might have to give them a call.... just so confused over this
    wish they didnt send me out the laser card
    i dont even know the pin for it cause i was never givin a pin for the thing unless its the same as my old debit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

saiint wrote: »

does that mean when i get the visa debit card
    i can throw away this laser one? or that this laser one is only a replacement for my old debit card until the visa one comes?
    they havnt exactly explained it
    and i cant get into them due to my work hours
    might have to give them a call.... just so confused over this
    wish they didnt send me out the laser card
    i dont even know the pin for it cause i was never givin a pin for the thing unless its the same as my old debit card?

The card you have now is the replacement for your old debit card, which was probably a laser card too? The pin number for this one is the same as the old one. AIB aren't issuing anybody Visa Debit cards until September. So next week they'll start giving people an AIB Visa debit when their old laser card expires. You won't be sent a new Visa Debit unless you specifically ask for one because you just recieved a new laser. But when they do send you a new Visa Debit card you can just throw away the laser card you have now.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've a very dodgy Laser card I recieved last month..

.. blindly rejected in various Laser and ATM machines.

Will be waiting til September to call them about a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Mr.S wrote: »
    Any confirmed date?

Also my laser doesn't expire till 2014, could I just ring them up when they start issuing them and ask for a visa debit, or should I just "break" my laser card and request a new one :pac:

Im going to call them mid September to see what can be done. Mine expires in 2015 but if i have to break it or lose it. I will glady do so.

Some are saving that AIB are issuing the Visa Cards regardless of when the laser expires. So once you use the new Visa, the laser card will be made inactive.

Got my maestro laser this morning, when do you think its safe to 'lose' my card? Monday the 3rd at 10:01am? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Laser is too easy to be frauded, I shall be "losing" my laser card very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

Vahevala wrote: »

But does visa debit have the same fraud protection that credit cards have? I didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭marko_polo1234

I believe aib visa debit cards are being issued in October...

I believe aib visa debit cards are being issued in October...
    Got a courtesy call from AIB about a half hour ago.. and she confirmed that they'll be issued from Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

bren50c wrote: »
    But does visa debit have the same fraud protection that credit cards have? I didn't think so.

Pretty much. That's one of the advantages over Laser.

Vahevala wrote: »

I'm more worried about the RFID tags in the new cards tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

Basq wrote: »
    Got a courtesy call from AIB about a half hour ago.. and she confirmed that they'll be issued from Monday.

Basq, do you know are they coming out in the post automatically or do you need to request a Visa Debit from AIB?

Didn't ask but got the impression they need to be requested - as she asked me to ring their office next week to get my replacement..

.. could be way off though!

EDIT: Interesting thread here though... could be a reason to hold onto a Laser card if accurate!
    AIB have increased the currency commission fee minimum to 2.00 EUR from 1.27 EUR (a 57% Increase) for non EUR cash ATM withdrawals, with Visa Debit, from 1 September 2012 with Visa Debit cards.

AND (you pay both)

AIB have standarised their currency conversion fee at 2.50% for all currencies rather than a variable fee like before. This will typically mean that you will pay more in conversion fees unless you travel to a 'far flung' country.
    The new AIB fee hikes apply with Visa Debit cards from 1 September 2012 and not with Laser cards.

All customer will have Visa Debit cards later in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Come Monday morning do you just ring up and say can I have a visa debit card pretty much or is there any more to it?

Suppose if they say no I'll just loose it in the next 15 minutes and ring up asking for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Six branches are being piloted with automatic issue of visa debit in September. All other branches will be mid October and will initially be just renewals/replacement cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Six branches are being piloted with automatic issue of visa debit in September. All other branches will be mid October and will initially be just renewals/replacement cards.

Any idea which branches Gracie? Can't find much info. from the AIB website

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Any idea which branches Gracie? Can't find much info. from the AIB website
    Bankcentre, lynchs castle, and few Dublin/kildare. Few weeks later and its national roll out

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bps

Just spoke to Aib card centre and they said the date has been pushed back to October now !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

Which means it probably won't happen in 2012 after all! :p

Advertisement