Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

oh i see, duh!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

Mr.S wrote: »
    Wouldn't hold your breath, just order a replacement card now and then when they finally start issuing, you could be waiting weeks.
    Girl at my bank says there have been technical issues with the card, pushed back a month....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Boots are now using Contactless payments. I can see more businesses starting to adopt the it too. Hopefully AIB get the finger out. The amount is under €15 btw. Anything over and I think you need a pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

It's ridiculous how long AIB are taking. I got one with BOI and I have to say it's brilliant for online shopping, I set up a Paypal with my BOI Visa Debit and it's accepted everywhere! I'll be using my BOI as my main bank a/c from now on, me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

For contactless payments the limit is €15 as is set by VISA Europe for Ireland (for VISA branded cards). Individual retailers do not have an option to change this limit.

Over €15 a pin entry is required. Also when a user racks up €45 worth of contactless transactions a pin entry will be forced. For example one could make 45 €1 transactions before a pin request or 3 €15 transactions.

There will also be random pin requests based on the fraud algorithms the issuing banks have implemented.

Contactless payments are charged at a lower rate to the retailer than the normal major scheme branded card payments which is meant to encourage acceptance of cards for low value goods.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got a unexpected letter from AIB today.

Felt a card through the envelope. I gasped. Could it be?

Visa Debit card finally in my hands!

woohoooo. Didn't request it, laser card only expires in 2014.

Main bankcenter branch in Ballsbridge btw.

So they've started issuing cards then? :D

Looks like it, probably on a branch by branch basis.

Can you upload a pic, of the card that is not the branch :)?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Hiya it's branch by branch starting with bankcentre branch in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Any idea when these will be hitting the Limerick branches?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

user1842 wrote: »
    Can you upload a pic, of the card that is not the branch :)?

From p.19

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/219339/221598.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

So, that's the final nail in the coffin for Laser then! You'll join that grave yard of obsolete stuff like WWII ration books, cheque guarantee cards, CallCards, telex machines and analogue mobile phones that looked like bricks.

You'll be remembered fondly as that weird card that would never work online no matter how much Maestro branding you had :D

*RIP*

I'll miss you like the way I miss the days when cafés used to serve instant coffee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

I'm in the ballsbridge branch all the time, wonder if I can get em to gimme a sneaky debit card?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

U have to have a bank account in the bank centre branch

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

If I lose my card today, I wonder if the replacement will be laser or Visa Debit?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shylock16

if you do "lose" your card your replacement one should be visa debit ! my local branch applied for a replacement one for me , should be here Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Shylock16 wrote: »
    if you do "lose" your card your replacement one should be visa debit ! my local branch applied for a replacement one for me , should be here Monday :D

Keep us posted.

I was in my mams house yesterday and my sister opened her post and I got very excited when I seen she had been sent a Visa debit card and hadnt requested it. Very excited until I realised she's BOI :mad:

I hope I get mine in the next few weeks , I'm going to Liverpool and much rather use my card over there than changing money before I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Karen23 wrote: »
    Keep us posted.

I was in my mams house yesterday and my sister opened her post and I got very excited when I seen she had been sent a Visa debit card and hadnt requested it. Very excited until I realised she's BOI :mad:

I hope I get mine in the next few weeks , I'm going to Liverpool and much rather use my card over there than changing money before I go.

Just so you know, while your waiting, laser cards work fine in the UK :)

Keep us posted.

You are better off charges wise to use your credit card (if you have one) in the UK rather than your debit card as the UK is not a Eurozone country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Just so you know, while your waiting, laser cards work fine in the UK :)

Really , I tried using it before and very few places would accept it , ended up going to an ATM and taking out cash. That's why I hoping to have the visa debit in time knowing its accepted everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Really , I tried using it before and very few places would accept it , ended up going to an ATM and taking out cash. That's why I hoping to have the visa debit in time knowing its accepted everywhere.

Any store that accepts Maestro will take it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Asked in the UCD branch today what was going on with the Visa cards. One branch is currently doing a trial, should extend to all branches by the end of the month. If you want one in a "hurry" call into your local branch at the end of October/start of November and tell them "Your laser card isn't working anymore" (Direct quote from AIB clerk) and they'll send you out a Visa Debit in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ballyheigue

Just received a new card in the todays post. My laser expires at the end of the month.

Guess what the new card is ...... Another Laser card.

So, don't know what they are playing at. Do I change this again in a few weeks when the debit cards come out in Kerry??

Nuts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Got a new card in the post today, laser also! :mad: After being sworn black and blue in the face in the Killarney branch that I'd be getting a Visa Debit!! FFS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I was working for a company who did a lot of online card payment up to Aug 11 and worked closely with AIB. Reason they were taking so long with Visa debit was the fees Visa wanted to charge and AIB wern't happy so a long slow protracted negotiation process. Visa debit is an expensive card type for retailers and AIB did not want to face doing this without best possible rates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Received a new card in the post this morning............ A new shagging laser card :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Brendan Mason

New card in post today in Limerick....crappy laser. Le sigh.

Limerick say it'll be a few weeks, that the roll out has been delayed. Even the card dept haven't got a date from upstairs yet so it'll be Nov me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Asked in the UCD branch today what was going on with the Visa cards. One branch is currently doing a trial, should extend to all branches by the end of the month. If you want one in a "hurry" call into your local branch at the end of October/start of November and tell them "Your laser card isn't working anymore" (Direct quote from AIB clerk) and they'll send you out a Visa Debit in 2 days.

Bankcentre Branch is issuing them. I have mine since last Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

My sister was told she could order one in 2 weeks.but how many times have we heard that

• Advertisement

Will there be different fees for a Visa Debit as opposed to a Laser? I think I was only paying like €5 a year for my Laser, will/are fees different for a Visa Debit?

Advertisement