Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just a qucik question about this card. I presume it will have the exact same use as a visa credit card in that you can make purchases on any site that accepts visa online and that you can only purchase something in you have the funds available in your account unlike a credit card raking up debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭yer man!

billyhead wrote: »
    Just a qucik question about this card. I presume it will have the exact same use as a visa credit card in that you can make purchases on any site that accepts visa online and that you can only purchase something in you have the funds available in your account unlike a credit card raking up debt?
    Correct, however you may not be able to rent a car with it or book into some hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭yer man!

You know the way most shops have a sign up saying you must spend more than €10 to use a laser or credit card? well does that mean the contactless feature on this means you need to buy over €10 worth of stuff to use it too? seems kinda pointless if we have contactless payment cards that work for amounts under €15 but you have to spend over €10 to use......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Tardis wrote: »
    My friend sent me a pic of her AIB visa debit. Simple design but nice. BOI one's nicer lookin though

can you give us a bit more info?

was her card due for renewal and it was replaced with the new Visa Card?
    or
    Did she ring and ask for the new card, was she charged for the new card if this was the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Karen23 wrote: »
    So they have started to issue them ?
    Cool. I'll be ringing first thing Monday :)
    Ste_JDM wrote: »
    Awesomeness! I wonder when my branch will be getting the roll out. Shall ring monday to find out
    johndoe99 wrote: »

or
    Did she ring and ask for the new card, was she charged for the new card if this was the case?

As per my above post, it will be October before they are being rolled out to the general public. At the moment, they are still carrying out the pilot.

The attached scan is the latest article I've seen regarding the rollout...

221640.jpg
    yer man! wrote: »
    You know the way most shops have a sign up saying you must spend more than €10 to use a laser or credit card? well does that mean the contactless feature on this means you need to buy over €10 worth of stuff to use it too? seems kinda pointless if we have contactless payment cards that work for amounts under €15 but you have to spend over €10 to use......
    The reason for the €10 minimum is that merchants pay a set minimum transaction fee each time a card is used (different retailers would negotiate different rates with their banks). Thus, there was no profit (and possibly a loss) using the card for a smaller purchase (ie on something for €2). With the contact-less transactions, the transaction charges will be much lower, so shops should have no minimum spend. At the moment, there are very few shops supporting the contact-less transactions, but that should change over the coming months/year. Basically, it is a chicken and egg situation and most shop owners/managers will only begin to offer the service when they see customers asking for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

johndoe99 wrote: »

or

The owner of this card is AIB staff. Staff are testing them out and they'll be rolled out December/January, according to her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Tardis wrote: »
    The owner of this card is AIB staff. Staff are testing them out and they'll be rolled out December/January, according to her

Oh for **** sake....

:mad:

Now you never know things could be brought forward. But 1.5 million cars won't be rolled out in a week or so it'll be a big project. I'm unbelievably frustrated myself as i've never been able to buy anything online. But since my friend actually works for AIB i'm taking what she says as sound. Didn't appreciate her texting me that pic rubbing it in :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Recieved my brand new replacement LASER debit card yesterday what a bunch of clowns.

I guess we give it till mid october....if nothing by then....December/Jauary it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i understand that turning out 1.5 million cards is a massive undertaking, and that they need to be fully tested beforehand, but i mean like they told us about the new card in July 2011, thats 14 months ago.

I'm hoping they have at least half if not more of these cards already mass-produced and ready to be sent when they get the green-light.

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I phoned my branch last week when enquiring about my upcoming card renewal.

My card expires at the end of September. I asked would I be getting a new laser or a visa and I was told:

"The Visa cards will be rolled out in October. You will get a laser card but you can order a visa when they become available".

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

I will try to get one from them in October, if that's not possible I've had it with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

As far as i can figure out in order to set up or amend a standing order in aib online banking you have to have a card reader and also have a debit card. You need a card reader to transfer money to an 02 card

So will they not have to give everyone who wants to do above a debit card

From AIB
    AIB plans to migrate the authentication of the following transactions from the AIB Code Card to the AIB Card Reader during 2012:

- Once off Funds Transfers

- International Payments

- Setting up new Mandated Accounts for payments

- Setting up & Amending Standing Orders

- Setting up new Credit Card for Bill Payments

- Credit Card Services

- To register and view e-Statements
    And
    You must have an AIB Debit Card to use the AIB Card Reader

So will they not have to give everyone who wants to do above a debit card. It says from 30 Sept the above will be mandatory for current account holders but I cannot transfer to 02 now without a card reader

EDIT will the laser debit do for the above, the laser is debit isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

AlarmBelle wrote: »
    EDIT will the laser debit do for the above, the laser is debit isn't it?

Yes, the laser is very much a debit card. Visa and Laser are just "brand names" for want of a better phrase. (Visa being part of the global duopoly with Mastercard, while Laser was just an Irish one). All the small, national level card processing companies have been forced out of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AlarmBelle

dotsman wrote: »
    Yes, the laser is very much a debit card. Visa and Laser are just "brand names" for want of a better phrase. (Visa being part of the global duopoly with Mastercard, while Laser was just an Irish one). All the small, national level card processing companies have been forced out of the market.
    thanks so then i only need the reader

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Was in the bank yesterday sorting out my account and quizzed the lady there about the Visa Debit cards. Basically I was told that anyones card thats expiring Oct/Nov onwards will be getting a Visa Debit card. That's what she's being told by people above her. And that's in the Killarney branch in case ye're wondering. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I wouldn't be in any great hurry to receive one straight away - January would be fine for me. That way any teething problems should be ironed out. At least with Laser you know what you get, as limited as it is, so no surprises when attempting to make a purchase.

I wouldn't be in any great hurry to receive one straight away - January would be fine for me. That way any teething problems should be ironed out. At least with Laser you know what you get, as limited as it is, so no surprises when attempting to make a purchase.

Yea, those PIN codes can be a fickle mistress alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

I can make a lodgement with my AIB Laser card by handing it over with cash/cheques and entering my pin ..... no form filling .... very convenient. I presume that that paperless convenience will disappear with visa debit cards.

To lodge to Ulster Bank, I have to fill in a form .... my visa debit is no good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

eirman wrote: »
    I can make a lodgement with my AIB Laser card by handing it over with cash/cheques and entering my pin ..... no form filling .... very convenient. I presume that that paperless convenience will disappear with visa debit cards.

To lodge to Ulster Bank, I have to fill in a form .... my visa debit is no good.

Ah FFS.. the only time I go into a branch is to lodge something and now I'll have to fill out forms? Does this mean the similar facility in the Post Office will change/disappear as well?

I still don't get the obsession here with these cards. If you don't have a credit card (ok, I do) and want to shop online, just use an O2 card or (better yet in my opinion) a PayPal a/c. I genuinely don't see what the big panic is on getting one
    ...card reader

Now THAT to me is something to complain about. You either have to carry the thing around with you all the time and not break it, or can only do certain transactions when you're at home/work/wherever you've left it.

Yea I know you can order a 2nd (chargeable) but the old Code Card system worked just fine. Sure these given "better security" but to get into the Online Banking site anyway you need the Reg number, PIN and Phone/Card details... Like the new lodgement requirements, overkill at the expense of functionality I think.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've never had to do do it with Ulster, and I don't see why anything would change in AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I've never had to do do it with Ulster, and I don't see why anything would change in AIB.

Completely agree. I lodge with my TSB visa and never fill in anything and you are always encouraged to use the machines for lodgements.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bps

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Ah FFS.. the only time I go into a branch is to lodge something and now I'll have to fill out forms? Does this mean the similar facility in the Post Office will change/disappear as well?

I still don't get the obsession here with these cards. If you don't have a credit card (ok, I do) and want to shop online, just use an O2 card or (better yet in my opinion) a PayPal a/c. I genuinely don't see what the big panic is on getting one
    ...card reader

Now THAT to me is something to complain about. You either have to carry the thing around with you all the time and not break it, or can only do certain transactions when you're at home/work/wherever you've left it.

Yea I know you can order a 2nd (chargeable) but the old Code Card system worked just fine. Sure these given "better security" but to get into the Online Banking site anyway you need the Reg number, PIN and Phone/Card details... Like the new lodgement requirements, overkill at the expense of functionality I think.

Kaiser2000, one reason I want one is for paying for hotels on work trips. Unfortunately we have to pay and claim back later. I have recently gotten rid of my credit card so for hotels etc its not possible to use PayPal. I had an O2 Visa card and they can be awkward. To top it up online can take days. Visa debit is a simple solution.

Mr.S wrote: »
    While I don't have any urgent need for Visa Debit (the only beneficial use I'll have is the contactless payments) its a bit silly how AIB are all over the place with this, every branch i've asked has given me a different answser and no one seems to know anything concrete.

Speaking of contactless payments - I wonder if retailers will pick up on it? I know Londis/Spars are getting them installed (some have them already) and Tesco have the option for "contactless payments" on the self check out machines, but its greyed out so not activated i'm guessing.

Hopefully retailers will wave the €10 minimum transaction for card payments when it comes to contactless, or else it because a bit pointless

I thought that the contactless could only be used for payments under 10 euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I thought that the contactless could only be used for payments under 10 euro?

And some retailers only allow card transactions worth over €10, catch 22!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

My bank of Ireland visa debit works for over the counter logements.

Ulster Bank just have primitive technology in their branches. It's nothing to do with using visa debit. AIB will still have that service and are planning on enhancing the post office services as they plan to close branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

Lads anyone who gets a Visa Debit card can they let us all know on here A.S.A.P please, my laser decided to crack the day before payday and won't work in the ATM...

Don't want to get another laser and then have to re-apply for a Visa Debit card so trying to hold off until I'm sure I'll get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

What is contactless payment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Neilinhio wrote: »
    What is contactless payment?

Something like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yzbjAyh0DE

Advertisement