Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 King Leer

I wonder how much they'll charge for the privilege..

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I got my Visa Debit Card from Bank Of Ireland in the post this morning.
    I hadn't asked about it or applied for it.
    My Laser card is not due to expire until 2013.
    It's snazzy looking but does not have the contactless feature which I suppose I can live with. I don't know what you need to have or do to qualify for the contactless card.
    Anyway - we have a joint current account but my OH's card hasn't arrived yet.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

King Leer wrote: »

My thoughts exactly :( but at the same time how long would it take to be issued one have been already waiting far too long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niq

King Leer wrote: »

Surely they'll send them out for free, considering it would be cheaper to send them all out around the same time and they don't want to be operating laser/maestro cards for the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

niq wrote: »
    Surely they'll send them out for free, considering it would be cheaper to send them all out around the same time and they don't want to be operating laser/maestro cards for the next few years

from the email i received i assume its for new customers, you have to drop into your branch or phone for the new card. Probably a charge for the new card if you want one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 fitzach

I called about them yesterday and I was told everyone is being posted a card from 1st September, as far as I'm aware the laser card is becoming obsolete altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The Laser Card scheme will probably be wound-up fairly soon as there are no longer any banks using it from later this year onwards.

Gone to Visa debit - cards available and active:
    Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, Permanent TSB

Gone to Mastercard debit - cards available and active:
    EBS Building Society ( http://www.ebs.ie/daily-banking/ebs-debit-card.html )

AIB's due to rollout Visa Debit soon and National Irish Bank's announced it's switching to Visa Debit too.

So, that's it for Laser once those are complete.

Visa Debit and MasterCard debit are pretty much identical btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

fitzach wrote: »
    I called about them yesterday and I was told everyone is being posted a card from 1st September, as far as I'm aware the laser card is becoming obsolete altogether!

Is this regardless of the expiry date on the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shinerrs

Either ways you can walk in to any branch and request a new card, They will ask what is your reason, I will be replying with "Because I want to upgrade to the Visa Debt card". No other word will be said after this and I will get my visa card xD

that or I just leave their bank to ANY other bank, because AIB are last to roll out the visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

AIB are going to roll out their new visa debits from 1st September. Staff are trialling them from 1st August, then in September a launch is planned for customers of a selected number of branches and then from 1st October they are doing a nationwide rollout with the rollout being completed by October 2013. Customers will receive their new cards depending on their expiry date. However if you want a new visa debit card before a new one is issued to you, you can request it in your branch from October 1st unless your branch is one of the selected branches for rollout in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Shinerrs

In that case if I dont have my Visa by september Bank of Ireland has made a new customer for life and AIB can enjoy their taking their sweet time. Seriously how hard is it to release the visa cards for them. TSB, Bank of Ireland and ulster bank all have them

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Shinerrs wrote: »
    In that case if I dont have my Visa by september Bank of Ireland has made a new customer for life and AIB can enjoy their taking their sweet time. Seriously how hard is it to release the visa cards for them. TSB, Bank of Ireland and ulster bank all have them

They've been in the uk for the last 7 or 8 years too. It's hardly something that's been suddenly sprung upon them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Shinerrs wrote: »

i was told by my branch to come back in to them in september and they will issue a visa debit card for me, my laser will continue to work until i chop it up when the visa debit arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

I hope the new cards from AIB will have the 'contactless' feature that the new BOI cards have.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

dubmick wrote: »
    I hope the new cards from AIB will have the 'contactless' feature that the new BOI cards have.
    they do

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

I really hope they come out in September. I have an Ulster Student acc just for the visa debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

im moving to oz next month and contacted AIB last week asking would they be issued before mid-September, and apart from being an advertisement for how not to succeed in customer service, he finally informed me that it will be October before they are rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fitzach

Debs91 wrote: »
    fitzach wrote: »

Is this regardless of the expiry date on the card?

Yes I think so, as mine does t expire till 06/14 they said mine will be posted in September, my current card is not in good condition and I'm now holding off for te visa debit hoping it will be here as soon as promised so here's hoping

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My current AIB card expires 09/12 and I still haven't received a new one. What's the deal with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think when you see what can happen when a bank screw-up their IT systems i.e. Ulster Bank, you can appreciate why the likes of AIB are slow to roll out any new system.

The cards are apparently on schedule to arrive in September, and they are testing them at the moment.

I have one from Bank of Ireland and it's definitely very handy for online stuff.

That being said, I had no problem using my AIB Laser / Maestro card in all sorts of locations in Belgium and France recently. It works perfectly as a chip & pin debit card.

A lot of the continental banks, especially in France, Germany, Belgium etc, are very concerned that Visa and MasterCard are becoming too dominant. There's a project under way to bring out a pan-European alternative scheme for debit cards.

They've been ridiculously slow off the mark with this project though. Laser Card was part of some of the earlier schemes like "The Berlin Group" but, it seems the Irish banks lost interest in the project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_Alliance_of_Payment_Schemes

Their idea is that banks should have more choice of cards and should be able to shop around for better deals. A duopoly isn't a good thing.

However, like a lot of things in Europe, the inter-bank projects are moving at a pace that would make a snail seem fast so a lot of banks are moving away from national schemes like Laser and towards MasterCard and Visa Debit.

The UK, Ireland, Spain etc all seem to now use Visa or MasterCard debit systems.

There are a few exceptions like in Belgium Bancontact/MisterCash & Proton (electronic purse contactless) cards are still dominant. It's amazing that in Brussels, one of the most internationally-focused cities in Europe, you still can't purchase a train ticket with a Visa / MasterCard debit/credit card at a lot of locations as they only accept the local debit card scheme!

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    My current AIB card expires 09/12 and I still haven't received a new one. What's the deal with this?

your card will be valid till 30th September, so on the 1st of September they'll send you the new card. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

awec wrote: »

Indeed new cards are normally dispatched 2/3 weeks before the end of the expiry month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DJDontaz

On the 18th of July this year, AIB said that in the 2nd half of this year, all AIB customers with Laser cards will be issued with Visa Debit cards, but does anyone have any idea exactly when this may be?

Bank of Ireland customers have had their Laser cards replaced with Visa Debit cards just this month, so, may AIB follow quickly?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I rang them last month as I needed to get a replacement Laser card and wanted to know how long it'd be before they'd issue the Visa Debit cards too.

I was told VERY late in the year (October / November was indicated as most likely).

Hmm ok that's a pity.

A lot of people are tired of not being able to use their Debit cards online so the Visa Debit card will be given a big welcome.

Thanks for your input :)

AIB seem to always push it back..dafuq

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

They would really want to hurry on! I have a list of things I want to buy on sites that take Visa Debit and not Laser! Getting very impatient!

aoife1991 wrote: »
    They would really want to hurry on! I have a list of things I want to buy on sites that take Visa Debit and not Laser! Getting very impatient!

same here.

knowing AIB, september will come and go, and then they'll say another few months. I hope I'm wrong, i so want that new card. :D

Just emailed AIB. They can conform that they will begin issuing Visa Debot Cards to all customers from the 1st of September.

• Advertisement

I will believe it when I have an AIB Visa Debt Card.

Wasnt it first to come out in september 2010...then 11.. now 12..

Advertisement