Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

If your laser isn't due to expire until 14 or so, you will only get one if you apply for one they won't be automatically released

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

I ''lost'' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

DJDontaz wrote: »
    Just emailed AIB. They can conform that they will begin issuing Visa Debot Cards to all customers from the 1st of September.

I really hope so!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Don't know if this has been posted before but their terms and conditions seems they'll be rolling out the Visa debit card scheme.

Seems like its happening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Can we assume they'll be contactless cards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Murky Waters

blubloblu wrote: »
    Can we assume they'll be contactless cards?
    The term 'Contactless Transaction' is mentioned in the new T&Cs so I'd say it would be safe to assume they'll be contactless cards.

Edit: They later mention ''If your card is enabled to effect a Contactless Transaction...'' so maybe not all cards will be enabled with the facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I opened a new account at AIB in Dublin today, and was told that they start roll out Visa Debit cards from 1st september. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't see the fuss/rush to be honest.. Laser works fine for now on most Irish sites and for the rest I've got a Visa Credit Card anyway.

I know - "what about those of us who don't have a credit card?". Well from my (admittedly fairly limited) experience, these Debit cards aren't universally accepted yet either? What's the plan there? Better yet.. how can you tell if a site that just says "Visa" for example as a payment method will support both Debit and Credit versions?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most do automatically. While nothing is universal, pretty much anywhere that accepts Visa credit cards can accept Visa debit cards. This is what makes them infinitely more useful than Laser both online and outside Ireland.

my mother got a new Laser card today.. oh...lulz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    my mother got a new Laser card today.. oh...lulz

It's August - what did you think would happen? Tell her to do without a card until they roll out the visa debit cards?

dotsman wrote: »
    It's August - what did you think would happen? Tell her to do without a card until they roll out the visa debit cards?

Her current card does not expire til 10/12

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    Her current card does not expire til 10/12

Yes, but expired cards are replace 1 to months in advance. If her card was due to expire in 11/12, then it would have been replaced next month and would have been a visa debit. Any card being issued in August is still going to be a Laser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I don't see the fuss/rush to be honest.. Laser works fine for now on most Irish sites and for the rest I've got a Visa Credit Card anyway.

I know - "what about those of us who don't have a credit card?". Well from my (admittedly fairly limited) experience, these Debit cards aren't universally accepted yet either? What's the plan there? Better yet.. how can you tell if a site that just says "Visa" for example as a payment method will support both Debit and Credit versions?

Visa Debit cards are universally accepted where Visa's taken.
    If the retailer's not setup for Visa Debit (where they can save on % charges), the card's processed as a credit card at the same rates.

It's a very flexible setup from a consumer's perspective. As far as the retailer's concerned, it's just 'visa'. However, a retailer in Ireland (or elsewhere) will be able to process it specifically as a debit card and have Laser-like charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

Will people with AIB laser/maestro debit be automaticaly updated to the aib visa debit or would one have to apply.? Would there be an extra charge for the visa debit/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I automatically just received my visa debit card this morning to replace my old laser card. I did not apply for it and only joined BOI in May of this year. There's no extra charges for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

Got a new card sent from AIB today and the letter attached said 'Welcome to your AIB Debit Card'...it is identical to my old laser card though....so is it a Visa Debit or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

DoctorDre wrote: »
    Got a new card sent from AIB today and the letter attached said 'Welcome to your AIB Debit Card'...it is identical to my old laser card though....so is it a Visa Debit or not?
    If it doesn't says Visa on it, then it ain't!

If it has a Laser logo on it, it's a Laser card.

Visa Debit cards have a big VISA logo on them :)

Laser is a Debit Card. Visa is merely a different "middle man". Debit cards being issued by AIB from next week will be on the Visa network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

dotsman wrote: »
    Laser is a Debit Card. Visa is merely a different "middle man". Debit cards being issued by AIB from next week will be on the Visa network.

Wonder if I'll get another new one.....

For physical transactions where you stick your card into a chip and pin terminal or an ATM, Visa Debit and Laser are pretty much exactly the same.

Laser was also usable abroad as Maestro. I've used it plenty of times in Belgium, France, Germany, the UK etc.. and it works fine. You get the odd weirdo in the UK who looks funny at the card because it's branded with an odd logo i.e. Laser, but the machines read it.

Where Visa debit's totally different :

1) E-commerce online - almost all websites that accept Visa accept it.
    2) Contactless payment (where available)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Solair wrote: »
    For physical transactions where you stick your card into a chip and pin terminal or an ATM, Visa Debit and Laser are pretty much exactly the same.

Laser was also usable abroad as Maestro. I've used it plenty of times in Belgium, France, Germany, the UK etc.. and it works fine. You get the odd weirdo in the UK who looks funny at the card because it's branded with an odd logo i.e. Laser, but the machines read it.

Where Visa debit's totally different :

1) E-commerce online - almost all websites that accept Visa accept it.
    2) Contactless payment (where available)

3) visa verification security for online purchases too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Solair wrote: »
    Visa Debit cards are universally accepted where Visa's taken.
    If the retailer's not setup for Visa Debit (where they can save on % charges), the card's processed as a credit card at the same rates.

Don't think so, I just got a Visa Debit card from BOI to replace my ATM/Laser card and I don't have a Visa credit card account so how can it work the way you claim?

The debit card has no relationship to my credit card which is Mastercard and is physically a different piece of plastic. If a vendor can't handle my Visa debit card I would need to either fall back on cash or tender my Mastercard instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

coylemj wrote: »
    Don't think so, I just got a Visa Debit card from BOI to replace my ATM/Laser card and I don't have a Visa credit card account so how can it work the way you claim?

The debit card has no relationship to my credit card which is Mastercard and is physically a different piece of plastic. If a vendor can't handle my Visa debit card I would need to either fall back on cash or tender my Mastercard instead.
    He means that if they retailer isn't set up for visa debit to get the lower charges then the transaction will proceed as if it were a credit card you were using. The visa debit card will still be accepted its just the retailer will get charged the same amount as if it were a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

Wonder if I'll get another new one.....
    That is what I meant.If people who get a new laser now want a visa debit next month can they apply will there be a charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

yer man! wrote: »
    He means that if they retailer isn't set up for visa debit to get the lower charges then the transaction will proceed as if it were a credit card you were using. The visa debit card will still be accepted its just the retailer will get charged the same amount as if it were a credit card.

But if the retailer isn't setup for Visa debit then where is the money for the sale going to come from since I don't have a Visa credit card? The card isn't Laser or Maestro so how can he get paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭28064212

coylemj wrote: »
    But if the retailer isn't setup for Visa debit then where is the money for the sale going to come from since I don't have a Visa credit card? The card isn't Laser or Maestro so how can he get paid?
    The money will come from the exact same place as it would if the retailer was set-up for Visa debit. The only difference is the charge to the retailer.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Hi I just set up an account with AIB yesterday and I'm to get my card in the coming week. My question is can I switch to a Visa debit card or am I stuck with this until it expires? If I can get a visa debit card, will I be charged to replace it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

jaydoxx wrote: »
    Hi I just set up an account with AIB yesterday and I'm to get my card in the coming week. My question is can I switch to a Visa debit card or am I stuck with this until it expires? If I can get a visa debit card, will I be charged to replace it?
    AFAIK they haven't started to issue the Visa Debits yet so the chances are that you'll be sent a Laser. I assume if you ask to change before you have been automatically issued a Via Debit that you'll be charged.

Of course if the Laser were to get accidentally lost or damaged after they have begun to issue they might not charge for a replacement Visa Debit, though if the account is very new they might.

Advertisement