Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

As far as I know, if you don't request a new one, ie just get it, you keep your old PIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

BroLo wrote: »
    As far as I know, if you don't request a new one, ie just get it, you keep your old PIN.

Yeah, that's how mine worked anyway.
    I didn't request one, it arrived in the post and the PIN was unchanged i.e. exactly the same as if it were a replacement Laser card.

If you request a new card, they cancel your old card and a new PIN will issue too.
    Obviously, you can go to an ATM and change the PIN back to your preferred settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Just rang Card Services and asked to be upgraded to the new card.
    Just told them I wanted a new visa debit card now before my branch rolls them out (Mid 2013 for mine it would seem)
    Didn't see the point in lying to them saying I lost the current one or it "broke"
    It's on it's way to me now :D

I had no choice but to order a Visa Debit card. The magstripe is peeling off my Laser and they advised me not to use it as it could get stuck in an ATM. Was no issue though, she put through a request and I should have it mid next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

You can bend my laser in half so ordered it there. Took a while to get hold of someone ( I guess thats because it is lunch hour) but once I did it was ordered in less than 2 minutes.

• Advertisement

Got my card last week. Just a couple of things I noticed.

I withdrew cash from a BOI ATM on Saturday. It's still showing up in my Pending Transactions. Second, I withdrew cash from an Ulster Bank ATM today. After entering my PIN I got a warning that I may be charged cash advance fees (as if I was using a credit card).

Is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

i get the warning about cash advance fees most of the time with both my ub visa debit and my aib visa debit. seems normal to me and never get charged extra.

the pending transactions for atm seems a bit odd but at least its showing up. i usually find aib pretty quick to update for atms so not sure why that would be

i love this contactless payment thing although ive only used it abroad with my card so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

My sister rang for one today , she said she was going on holiday and needed the visa and they wouldn't send her one. They said her branch won't be sending them out until May and she'll have to wait until then unless her card is lost but then they will deactivate her laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Karen23 wrote: »
    My sister rang for one today , she said she was going on holiday and needed the visa and they wouldn't send her one. They said her branch won't be sending them out until May and she'll have to wait until then unless her card is lost but then they will deactivate her laser.

Who did she ring - Card Services or her branch? If she rings Card Services, they should issue her one, no problem. To be safe, she could lie and say her card is damaged but, as per many posters here, simply saying she wants one is usually enough...

Random wrote: »
    i get the warning about cash advance fees most of the time with both my ub visa debit and my aib visa debit. seems normal to me and never get charged extra.

the pending transactions for atm seems a bit odd but at least its showing up. i usually find aib pretty quick to update for atms so not sure why that would be

i love this contactless payment thing although ive only used it abroad with my card so far!

The one from Saturday went through today. I also found this:

https://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/track-your-transactions

"Visa debit transactions at non AIB ATM machines will appear in pending transactions on AIB Internet Banking until they are debited to your account.

That's a bit of a setback compared to the Laser cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Karsini wrote: »
    The one from Saturday went through today. I also found this:

https://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/track-your-transactions

"Visa debit transactions at non AIB ATM machines will appear in pending transactions on AIB Internet Banking until they are debited to your account.

That's a bit of a setback compared to the Laser cards.

Does the date & time of the transaction show up on your internet banking since changing cards?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Does the date & time of the transaction show up on your internet banking since changing cards?

No, it only shows the date that the ATM transaction cleared. For example, the withdrawal I did on Saturday is showing up with yesterday's date. It was originally in my Pending Transactions as "ATM LONDIS" or something similar (the College Green store) but is now showing up in the statement as "VDA-BANK OF IRELAN"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭batistuta9

No, it only shows the date that the ATM transaction cleared. For example, the withdrawal I did on Saturday is showing up with yesterday's date. It was originally in my Pending Transactions as "ATM LONDIS" or something similar (the College Green store) but is now showing up in the statement as "VDA-BANK OF IRELAN"

yeah mines the same

i wouldn't really care about it staying in pending transactions for a bit as long as it showed the original date & time

+ it just showing up as "VDA-AIB/BOI/UB" instead of LONDIS or whatever is annoying too if you're trying to remember/keep track of things

dotsman wrote: »
    Who did she ring - Card Services or her branch? If she rings Card Services, they should issue her one, no problem. To be safe, she could lie and say her card is damaged but, as per many posters here, simply saying she wants one is usually enough...

She rang the number on the back of her card. She did say the card had a crack in it and that was why she wanted a new card before going away but the person on the phone said they would cancel the card immediately and she would have no access to her account by card until the new one was sent and activated. She uses her card daily so said no , not to cancel her card and was then told you'll have to wait 'til it's your branches turn to roll out the card. I told her to try again , she could have just been unlucky with the person who answered the phone because my husband rang and got one no problem and his laser was left active for 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Karen23 wrote: »
    She rang the number on the back of her card. She did say the card had a crack in it and that was why she wanted a new card before going away but the person on the phone said they would cancel the card immediately and she would have no access to her account by card until the new one was sent and activated. She uses her card daily so said no , not to cancel her card and was then told you'll have to wait 'til it's your branches turn to roll out the card. I told her to try again , she could have just been unlucky with the person who answered the phone because my husband rang and got one no problem and his laser was left active for 14 days.

Yeah that number is right, customer service. She probably just got unlucky with the person she asked.

Tell her to ring up again and say the chip or the magnetic strip is scratched and they will issue her a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭_vti

Thats pretty stupid... My memory is always jogged when looking over my statement and seeing company name. Its going to be a nightmare, especially if multiple purchases are made, to personally track fraud.

Wouldnt it be a better idea to include the abreviated name of the company AND their bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Ordered mine 2 weeks before xmas and arrived no problem. The laser was free to take out money from ATM in the uk, Visa are charging me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 m.kot

Anyone having problems with Visa Debit payments?? Card readers like Dunnesstores has dont't accept the card and it needs to be swyped. Talked to girl at the checkout-she's getting the same problems.

Also it didn't work at UK in some shops with the same card readers, which was pretty annoying. Barlclays', HSBC atms refused cash withdrawals...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

m.kot wrote: »
    Anyone having problems with Visa Debit payments?? Card readers like Dunnesstores has dont't accept the card and it needs to be swyped. Talked to girl at the checkout-she's getting the same problems.

Also it didn't work at UK in some shops with the same card readers, which was pretty annoying. Barlclays', HSBC atms refused cash withdrawals...

Is there something wrong with your card (dirt/scratches), specifically the chip?. Haven't had any problems with mine, and have shop regularly in 2 different Dunnes shops with it.

I haven't had any problems with mine , either here or in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Does anyone know if AIB are replacing Laser Cards with Visa Debit Cards?

I know Bank of Ireland have done this.

Alot of Irish websites are not taking Laser payments anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

All mine are now Visa debit, if you get a new card or replacement from AIB it'll be Visa debit.

They're replacing them on a phased basis, depending on what branch your account is based in. They're also issuing Visa Debits to anyone who has their card lost, stolen or damaged, irrespective of branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Just received my new AIB issued Visa Debit Card to replace my Lasercard.
    Thought there were to be no changes in use and costs.

I regularly used my Lasercard in the UK to obtain goods in stores and to obtain cash from ATMs. When doing so my fees were as follows:
    POS stores 0.10% by MasterCard
    Cash from ATM no charge from MasterCard (only a charge from ATM company)

Here are the new Visa charges when using in the UK:
    UK POS stores Visa 1.75%
    Cash withdrawal commission Visa 1%
    Currency Conversion Fee Visa 2.5% of Euro Value
    These Visa charges are clearly shown on page 2 of the new Terms and Conditions.

Very unhappy. The change is good for AIB and good for Visa but not good for me. I’ll miss my old Lasercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Given that Mastercard have nothing to do with Laser, you don't really know what you're talking about. The fees for Laser and Visa Debit are practically the same: http://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/Debit-Card-Fees-and-Charges

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

28064212 wrote: »
    Given that Mastercard have nothing to do with Laser, you don't really know what you're talking about. The fees for Laser and Visa Debit are practically the same: http://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/Debit-Card-Fees-and-Charges

Ermm, Laser is Co-branded with Maestro (Mastercard), so that users may use the cards in shops and ATM's abroad, so, do you really know what you are talking about ? :rolleyes:

the watchman has missed out on a number of charges/fees from on the Laser/Maestro card though and I agree for all intents and purposes that the fees are the same.

But the real kicker is the Minimum Commision going up from 1.27 to 2.00 eur for Cash transactions. This is where the cream is for AIB.

Ermm, Laser is Co-branded with Maestro (Mastercard), so that users may use the cards in shops and ATM's abroad, so, do you really know what you are talking about ? :rolleyes:
    Touche :o Not quite "nothing", but co-branding is about a weak a relationship as you can get. And certainly they have never been charged any fees by MasterCard on their Laser card

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Scuba_Scoper

28064212 wrote: »
    Touche :o Not quite "nothing", but co-branding is about a weak a relationship as you can get. And certainly they have never been charged any fees by MasterCard on their Laser card

Apart from Affinity relationships, co-branding is the strongest relationship you can have in the credit card industry. It enables a closed debit card system like Laser to be used in terminals outside the Republic of Ireland.
    Without it, Laser could not operate on POS terminals as Laser uses the Maestro/Switch network for Authorisations and uses Mastercard SecureCode for customer verification - all in all not really a weak relationship.

From your own link in your above you can see that there are scheme fees attached to non-euro transactions on Laser cards so I am not sure what you mean in the quoted text.

Even if you don't see them the charges are there. I am surprised really that the CBI has not insisted on these charges being a bit more transparent. And don;t get me started on exchange rates.:D

From your own link in your above you can see that there are scheme fees attached to non-euro transactions on Laser cards so I am not sure what you mean in the quoted text.
    I was referring to the watchman's claim that they had been charged fees by MasterCard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Think theres a little confusion. I was refering to the use of my lasercard in the Uk and not in Ireland. Hope that helps.

Incidently I did take bank statements to my bank manager showing previous fees that I had paid and he agreed with me that the fees in the new Visa contract were higher (as shown in my previous post).

Advertisement