Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I suppose it's who answers your call, some owl biddy who had no sleep might tell you to bugger off or you might get someone who is in a jolly mood and happily order you a visa debit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

New Visa Debit card arrived yesterday.. so tell me, I know they say it's accepted anywhere they take Visa CC, but is that really the case - particularly online?

I'm thinking sites like Amazon UK & DE, eBay, Micksgarage etc .. though as a rule I try to use PayPal where possible anyway.

Cheers

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    New Visa Debit card arrived yesterday.. so tell me, I know they say it's accepted anywhere they take Visa CC, but is that really the case - particularly online?

I'm thinking sites like Amazon UK & DE, eBay, Micksgarage etc .. though as a rule I try to use PayPal where possible anyway.

Cheers

Yes anywhere that display's the VISA logo accepts it. Only difference is the money comes from your account and not from a virtual limit set on a credit card.

Only reasons I can see for sites declining your visa debit is if there isn't the right amount in your bank at the time of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Cheers

Bought a watch on Amazon today, however it hasn't yet been taken from my account balance and there seems to be a 1 euro fee which is odd as im on a student account! Any ideas guys?! Should the transaction have taken the money straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Bought a watch on Amazon today, however it hasn't yet been taken from my account balance and there seems to be a 1 euro fee which is odd as im on a student account! Any ideas guys?! Should the transaction have taken the money straight away?

could it be currency exchange fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

yer man! wrote: »
    could it be currency exchange fee?

Alls good rang AIB, its an Amazon charge the first time you use a card! Its refunded back to you

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Apparently you could be waiting up to 11 months if you do nothing and just wait for them to send you out a card so I rang them up about it and ordered a new visa debit card.

All the better for me - I don't want it.

Amazon don't charge you until the item has been dispatched, did you get an email saying it was dispatched?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most likely just an authorisation to check the card is valid and has funds. It will clear in due course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

My contactless AIB Visa Debit card arrived this morning without asking for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

is there a freephone number for aib where I can request one of the new cards? really dont want to put a tenner on my phone just for a 2 minute "can I have new card, yes. thanks very much. bye" phone call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Card Services are 01 6685500, not a freephone but cheaper than one of those 'locall numbers'. Freephone is quite often not free from a mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Staff in my local aib branch were very impressed with my visa debit card yesterday , they haven't received theirs yet.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

is there a freephone number for aib where I can request one of the new cards? really dont want to put a tenner on my phone just for a 2 minute "can I have new card, yes. thanks very much. bye" phone call
    I was on the phone for about 60 seconds to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dearg Dubh

batistuta9 wrote: »

McDonald's have it in most of their places now, not advertised as it's not fully rolled out yet. Used in the Blanch Drive through the other day, really fast and no messing with PIN in the lashing rain. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

You can go into any branch and use their phone and online banking phones to report your "lost" or "broken" card:P
    Took me less than a minute:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I ordered my card today i didnt tell them my card was lost or broke i just said i wanted the new card, i will have it by thursday :D i dont think you have to tell them that your card is broken or lost. My GF done the same today aswell with no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

went into branch on thursday, said i wanted a Visa debit, i signed a form and they said i would have it within next few days, PIN landed today and said card would be here ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Just got my 2 Visa Debit Cards today...they look the business easily pleased.

Reason I got them, thought I lost my wallet then found it 2 days later, was one of those weeks last week.

Just got my 2 Visa Debit Cards today...they look the business easily pleased.

Reason I got them, thought I lost my wallet then found it 2 days later, was one of those weeks last week.

Why two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I got mine last week. Is there any point in keeping my visa credit card? I only use it for online purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

I jusr rang them up there, said my card had a big crack on it, she said it'll get replaced no problem, but it will be a Visa Debit card. I pretended to sound surprised about it :) Lady was very nice, call was over in 2 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Received my Visa Debit card a while back as a replacement for an expired card. Chuffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Smashing, just rang up and asked to get the Laser swapped for a Debit. No problems, just the usual security verifications etc.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

Was in Aib Blanch yesterday and the cashier knew nothing about the roll out.
    Found out here that being issued. So....
    Rang card services and ordered Visa Debt card. Just asked for it and no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I used my BOI contactless card in Boots this morning and it processed the transaction near instantaneously.
    Much like uisng an Oyster Card or something like that.

I've also noticed that on AIB, my transactions pending are now showing details within a few seconds of making a purchase. i checked my mobile banking having paid in a coffee shop with chip and pin on a Visa Debit and the full details were there by the time I sat down with my coffee.

It used to take days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Solair wrote: »
    I've also noticed that on AIB, my transactions pending are now showing details within a few seconds of making a purchase. i checked my mobile banking having paid in a coffee shop with chip and pin on a Visa Debit and the full details were there by the time I sat down with my coffee.

It used to take days!

That's been around a while now. Nothing to do with the Visa Debit rollout. All pending transactions are shown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

dotsman wrote: »
    That's been around a while now. Nothing to do with the Visa Debit rollout. All pending transactions are shown.

Not for me on my laser. Since using the Visa Debit, the details of the pending transaction have been showing. On the laser the amount paid was deducted from my balance but no details were available until 4 - 5 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Yawns wrote: »

Not for me on my laser. Since using the Visa Debit, the details of the pending transaction have been showing. On the laser the amount paid was deducted from my balance but no details were available until 4 - 5 days.

I've had pending transactions showing almost instantly with my Laser for a couple of months.

Advertisement