Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Visa Debit Card roll out thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

28064212 wrote: »
    I was referring to the watchman's claim that they had been charged fees by MasterCard.

From my AIB Statement for a laser transaction:

27/08/12 MSP-PUBLIX SUPERMA 27.87
    27/08/12 34.20 USD@1.227125
    27/08/12 Incl. MasterCard
    27/08/12 Charge of 0.39%

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

mine arrived today. seems more geared towards online purchases. i wonder will i still need my credit card if the new card can do all online needs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Has anyone had any issues with contactless payments not going through, I used it twice and haven't had these payments go through or show up under pending transactions? It was McDonalds where I had this issue :o

Vahevala wrote: »
    Has anyone had any issues with contactless payments not going through, I used it twice and haven't had these payments go through or show up under pending transactions? It was McDonalds where I had this issue :o

How long ago was this? I know it can take a while for them to show up at all.

Karsini wrote: »
    How long ago was this? I know it can take a while for them to show up at all.

I had one transaction probably at least a week/2 weeks ago and it isn't even in pending transactions :confused: I had another one on Saturday so I realise that may take longer..

• Advertisement

I had one transaction probably at least a week/2 weeks ago and it isn't even in pending transactions :confused: I had another one on Saturday so I realise that may take longer..

That's odd, it should only take 2-3 days apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

I called up AIB last Friday and said I wanted a Visa Debit Card was no bother and was a very quick process.I got my PIN this morning.My card doesn't expire till September I didn't want to have to wait that long for the rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Didn't want to start a new thread...so sticking this in here.

Long story short - moved house and changed address with AIB for credit card, forgot to change for current a/c. New Visa debit card was sent out to old address and bounced back. This all came to light when the 90 day expiry on my Laser card ended the other week.

Went into AIB last Monday and updated address and requested a new card. Still no sign of it. Should it take this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Baz IRL

Debs91 wrote: »
    I called up AIB last Friday and said I wanted a Visa Debit Card was no bother and was a very quick process.I got my PIN this morning.My card doesn't expire till September I didn't want to have to wait that long for the rollout.

Did u ring the number on the back of ur laser card or did u ring ur branch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Just got my new visa debit card today.

What's with the expiry date? Its jul 2014. It doesnt seem that long. Do they get replaced yearly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kevinbad2010

What's with the expiry date? Its jul 2014. It doesnt seem that long. Do they get replaced yearly?

That's weird my expiry date is about 2016 and I get it today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Baz IRL wrote: »

I rang 0818 724 724 (Phone banking)

Followed the options to speak to a member of customer care & asked for the new card and she said yes straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Debs91

Baz IRL wrote: »

I rang an 01 number I had it already stored in my phone.

It was the Dublin branch she asked me all the usual details etc and I received the card within a week.

The number was 01 2695022.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

Hey lads,

Got a Visa debit card and just wondering about cancelling my credit card. Does the debit work abroad for hotels and so on? Can it fully replace my credit card?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It'll work anywhere Visa credit will generally.

Bear in mind though, that hotels etc often put a hold on funds over and avove your room cost to ensure that any incidentals are paid (room service). You won't be able to access that money until the hold falls off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It'll work anywhere Visa credit will generally.

Bear in mind though, that hotels etc often put a hold on funds over and avove your room cost to ensure that any incidentals are paid (room service). You won't be able to access that money until the hold falls off.

I do a lot of travelling and find that many hotels simpy won't accept a visa debit card.

The other thing I've noticed and haven't queried yet is when I withdraw cash from an ATM abroad using the AIB visa debit it throws up a warning about 'your bank may charge you for this transaction' whereas that never happened using the laser card. It may just be that the ATM sees the visa flag but ill be annoyed if I am being charged more now.

Andip wrote: »
    The other thing I've noticed and haven't queried yet is when I withdraw cash from an ATM abroad using the AIB visa debit it throws up a warning about 'your bank may charge you for this transaction' whereas that never happened using the laser card. It may just be that the ATM sees the visa flag but ill be annoyed if I am being charged more now.
    This even happens on domestic Ulster Bank ATMs. It's odd.

Mine is the same.. weird...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

I rang my branch today to request a debit card. She asked was there a problem with my laser card and I said no I just wanted the debit card! She first checked to see when my branch would be 'moving over to the debit card', I think, but then she put me straight through to someone who was in charge of the cards or something. This person clarified again that I wanted the laser card and now everything's sorted!

Pin coming tomorrow in the post and the card on Tuesday!
    Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Mine is the same.. weird...:(

Could be that it replaced a card, so keeps same expiry date as old one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hiwazup

Hey so I received a card today as a replacement for a bank link I've had for years and there isn't any NFC symbol on it. Do ye think this means it doesn't have it? (I would presume so) Also, how would you go about getting the new on if it isn't.
    Note: The card is a new Visa Debit and is identical to the ones in the pictures except for the lack of the NFC symbol.

Hiwazup wrote: »
    Hey so I received a card today as a replacement for a bank link I've had for years and there isn't any NFC symbol on it. Do ye think this means it doesn't have it? (I would presume so) Also, how would you go about getting the new on if it isn't.
    Note: The card is a new Visa Debit and is identical to the ones in the pictures except for the lack of the NFC symbol.

Sounds like it doesn't have NFC. I know they have cards without NFC that you can request if you don't want it. Maybe it was a mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Hiwazup wrote: »

I would ring them. My one certainly has it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Do you have to ring and request the visa debit card or are sending them out to all customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Do you have to ring and request the visa debit card or are sending them out to all customers?

In time they will be sent to all customers but if you want one now you can ring the number on the back of your card and request a new one. You will get a new pin.

If you hang on you might have a bit of a wait as my branch still haven't issued any yet unless they were replacement cards or new accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Karen23 wrote: »
    In time they will be sent to all customers but if you want one now you can ring the number on the back of your card and request a new one. You will get a new pin.

If you hang on you might have a bit of a wait as my branch still haven't issued any yet unless they were replacement cards or new accounts.

Yep, the other half got hers as part of the rollout, I was impatient so called up asking about getting it, they asked what the expiry date on my current one was, 2015, so they said "ok, new one is on the way" :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Karen23 wrote: »

I was at a bank link earlier and a msg came up saying "everyone will be getting a visa debit in the coming months" or something to that effect anyway.I might actually order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Between parcel motel, amazon, sports direct, the bloody thing is costing me a fortune. :pac:

Just too easy to use..... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Karlitto wrote: »
    Yep, the other half got hers as part of the rollout, I was impatient so called up asking about getting it, they asked what the expiry date on my current one was, 2015, so they said "ok, new one is on the way" :)

Me and my Husband are with the same branch , he was impatient too and requested a new one as soon as they became available and got it with no problems. I waited and still haven't heard anything.
    Al Capwned wrote: »
    Between parcel motel, amazon, sports direct, the bloody thing is costing me a fortune. :pac:

Just too easy to use..... :D:D

Agreed :rolleyes: but if you see above I have to use the other halfs ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I would ring them. My one certainly has it.

Mine had the NFC....i recently used it to buy a happy meal :D

Advertisement