Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More proof of Healy Rae gombeenism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

kippy wrote: »
    Thats the point I am making.
    Without ethics and morals, worrying about this level of money is pointless.
    These things need to change.
    It is becoming more obvious by the day that the majority of people don't see a problem with these people in politics.
    Your right.People dont seem too bothered.What happened here was downright cheating.The act of an immoral buffoon(thats what he is-lets call a spade a spade).A buffoon who has a say in how this country is governed.Thats the sad thing here. He should be thrown out on his ear.As should his father have been years ago.Slimy, arrogant me-feiners.

From The Journal:

"INDEPENDENT TD MICHAEL Healy-Rae won a celebrity television competition after winning over 3,500 votes that were generated from an Oireachtas phone in 2007, it has emerged."

A resigning offence?

http://www.thejournal.ie/healy-rae-won-tv-show-after-thousands-of-calls-from-the-dail-164750-Jun2011/
    No way he'll resign.Much too arrogant for that. I actually caught a glimpse of that programme when it was on and thought to myself "Jayzez I'd love to hit that fella a belt".Stupid cap and all:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What seems like the most likely outcome of this is that an auto-dialer wasn't in use and that most likely, JHR sent a couple of emails and everyone used the phones in Leinster house to vote for MHR for the craic and did so, probably about 10-20 times each with some way higher I imagine such as JHR himself.

It would explain why MHR paying for it, draws a line under the issue somehow. Only to those involved....

It is becoming more and more clear that our politicians might as well still be in secondary school and have not grown up since they left.

They seem to have a warped mindset different to those that work for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

thebman wrote: »
    What seems like the most likely outcome of this is that an auto-dialer wasn't in use and that most likely, JHR sent a couple of emails and everyone used the phones in Leinster house to vote for MHR for the craic and did so, probably about 10-20 times each with some way higher I imagine such as JHR himself.

It would explain why MHR paying for it, draws a line under the issue somehow. Only to those involved....

It is becoming more and more clear that our politicians might as well still be in secondary school and have not grown up since they left.

They seem to have a warped mindset different to those that work for a living.
    no wonder the country was going down the drain, when those who were supposed to be doing a job and being paid, decided to have a bit of fun and be paid for it while at it and putting bill on ordinary joe soap, who wo,uld not have one third the wage of them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

You're getting hammered on this thread for saying that but I do understand your point......

The figures aren't essentially the issue (in this case).
    Its the ethical, moral and legal issues that surround what was done that are far more worrying and are an indictment of quality of the people we elect - not just JHR/MHR but ALL politicians. Very few have demanded an investigation and most have made it clear that in their opinion, paying back the money has drawn a line under it - which it plainly hasnt.

If the ethics, morals and legal side of the politician is warped, one has to wonder whether the amount involved really doesnt matter to these guys and that they have no second thought about acting wrongly in whatever happens in their role.
    I know for a fact that without an investigation no one will know what happened. With an investigation someone should be found at fault.
    Thanks for comment and I dont mind at all getting hammered, that is the nature of web sites. The reason I distinguish between the two of these types of issues, is that the phone in is a once off type of thing that we all know to be wrong and indefensible - even the Healy Raes know that. The Independent payments are more serious because whilst they were brought in by Ahern simply to buy support, they have now been institutionalised by the very opposition parties whose role was to manitain vigilance over the actions of Government. So now the new Government has validated and continued essentially corrupt( to my mind) practices for which there can be no defence and which the country simply cannot afford. The Healy Rae phone issue was simply plain wrong but it has not corrupted the system. To my mind the Independent payments do. Enda Kenny has allowed Bertie Ahern to enmesh him and his party in the same kind of deviousness that was the hallmark of FF.

• Advertisement

Thats the point I am making.
    Without ethics and morals, worrying about this level of money is pointless.
    These things need to change.
    It is becoming more obvious by the day that the majority of people don't see a problem with these people in politics.
    I suspect that many of us simply despair of ever seeing integrity in Irish politics. For my part, I will make a token gesture and boycott the ludicrous 'Presidential Election'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If there was a general election tomorrow the people of Kerry would vote him back in. The politicians get the okay to act the way they do from the people who vote for them.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    If there was a general election tomorrow the people of Kerry would vote him back in. The politicians get the okay to act the way they do from the people who vote for them.
    Yes.Parochial gombeenism.Its the Irish way. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Unfortunately we all get those politicians :(

But I do sympathise with people from Kerry for the portrayal and references to them; Dublin had Ahern, Tipp has Lowry, Limerick even stuck O'Dea back in despite his dodgy slurs.

Then again, Kerry had both Healy-Rae and O'Donoghue simultaneously, so maybe they do have a bigger problem.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

But I do sympathise with people from Kerry for the portrayal and references to them; Dublin had Ahern, Tipp has Lowry, Limerick even stuck O'Dea back in despite his dodgy slurs.

Then again, Kerry had both Healy-Rae and O'Donoghue simultaneously, so maybe they do have a bigger problem.
    Clare had and have Dooley. How he got re-elected is beyond comprehension. He toed the party(ff) line and voted against Shannon Airport.And the gob****es here voted him in for another term.Beyond belief.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I always wondered what type of moran rang those line, obviously the type that isnt paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Why would you sympathise?

These politicians have done looked after their areas very well.:confused:

cast_iron wrote: »
    Why would you sympathise?

These politicians have done looked after their areas very well.:confused:

I sympathise with those who have standards and voted elsewhere but are still tarred by the same brush.

Mind you, you're wrong in relation to O'Dea......he dd nothing for Limerick and voted against Shannon despite all his promises.

I dont know if you have ever passed through Kilgarvan, but it has fine wide roads leading into it and out of it. Kilgarvan itself is a miserable little village that has little to recommend it. Even the ' Quill Commeration Centre' on the edge of the village has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I sympathise with those who have standards and voted elsewhere but are still tarred by the same brush.
    I don't see why they would care to be honest. It's not like every single person voted for these people and no one really knows how people voted.
    Liam Byrne wrote:
    Mind you, you're wrong in relation to O'Dea......he dd nothing for Limerick and voted against Shannon despite all his promises.
    He must do something for them. Bar the last election, he's been a poll topper by quite a margin.

cast_iron wrote: »
    I don't see why they would care to be honest. It's not like every single person voted for these people and no one really knows how people voted.

He must do something for them. Bar the last election, he's been a poll topper by quite a margin.

Can't speak for other areas but O'Dea has done nothing worthwhile, be it parochailly for Limerick or nationally.

Rumour has it that he gets some people what they're "entitled" to in our warped system, acting as a councillor or citizens' advice rep, but if those people actually opened their eyes and stopped fawning for a sec they'd see that that's not a TD's job and that they'd get those anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Can't speak for other areas but O'Dea has done nothing worthwhile, be it parochailly for Limerick or nationally.

Rumour has it that he gets some people what they're "entitled" to in our warped system, acting as a councillor or citizens' advice rep, but if those people actually opened their eyes and stopped fawning for a sec they'd see that that's not a TD's job and that they'd get those anyway.

Do they not have a citizens information centre in Limerick :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

bamboozle wrote: »
    i see your 45 gardeners and raise you the 2 thousand or so of HR staff employed* in the HSE

* I didnt use the words work or working as there is not enough work in the HSE to keep 2000 staff staff busy.

I certainly cannot agree with the rather sweeping last statement you made re the HSE.I can guarantee you I've more than enough work to keep me and many other clinical staff WORKING.I do agree with the you that the HSE is top heavy with administrators.
    My main point is only slightly off subject with regard to the inappropriate use of public funds.But seriously Greece is absolute joke,if you think Ireland was partying non stop/wasting public funds,well Greece takes the biscuit when it comes to unaccountable,lavish spending of public monies with no concerns for public debt consequences.This is a country where corruption is rife,the black economy thrives at a rate that would make our sorry nation blush!Until the troika arrived there existed a scheme whereby some Greeks could retire in their forties.All they had to do to receive it,was present them annually at a bank.Children of thousands of Greeks had been receiving their parents pensions ,some for decades.
    Using satellite imagery,tax inspectors discovered 16,974 unregistered/untaxed swimming pools in Athens alone.Random checks revealed 6,000 people with incomes declared under 10K owned car worth in excess of 100K.Only 5,000 people claim to earn over 100K in a country with a population of 11 million.The government has failed to tackle the endemic failure to pay taxes,utilities and reform a lavish pension/retirement regime.It would be nice to retire at 50,pigs will fly in Ireland!The 8 billion paid over the past 12 years into the pension fund of 25,000 power workers.
    Greece has failed to reform the closed shop/barriers to competition in specific labour markets.Some 250 professions from electricians to solicitors benefit from "special regimes".Whether they work or not civil servants can claim bonuses for punctuality,washing their hands regularly,or having to use a Xerox machine.Some state enterprise employees get up to 5 days a year stay in a luxury hotel.This is the surreal world of Greece,home of ancient civilisation,founders of democracy.
    Certainly the politicians have had their heads in the trough,MPs who are paid 16 monthly salaries a year!Political parties receive 10 euro annually for every election vote,German equivalent subsidy 70 cent!Ministries where only half the staff bother to turn up for work and others who are paid to do nothing.Until now parties were allowed to offer expatriate Greeks free tickets home to have a holiday and vote in elections,no taint of influencing one's vote there!This is one of the reasons Olympic Airways went bust,as the parties never paid the bills.The list goes on and on.Without doubt I empathise with the ordinary workers who have paid their dues and not benefitted in this bankrupt in many ways system/country.Peaceful protest I'm all for,but not these yobs engaging in violent protests.These 2 day national strikes are a joke,they need to put the axe to the wheel and work to get their country out of it's quagmire,not make it worse.They should be grateful that their German fiscally sensible paymasters(who must to be sick to the teeth)/troika have'nt turned off the tap and emptied the ATM machines and examine their own consciences.To be honest with the criteria(fiscal rectitude) etc for admission to the single currency/Euro zone my mind boggles how the Greeks were allowed in the door.A default on their part is going to be really bad for us.
    Ireland is having to perform the same examination but believe me we are starting from a much better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

seligehgit wrote: »
    I certainly cannot agree with the rather sweeping last statement you made re the HSE.I can guarantee you I've more than enough work to keep me and many other clinical staff WORKING.I do agree with the you that the HSE is top heavy with administrators.
    My main point is only slightly off subject with regard to the inappropriate use of public funds.But seriously Greece is absolute joke,if you think Ireland was partying non stop/wasting public funds,well Greece takes the biscuit when it comes to unaccountable,lavish spending of public monies with no concerns for public debt consequences.This is a country where corruption is rife,the black economy thrives at a rate that would make our sorry nation blush!Until the troika arrived there existed a scheme whereby some Greeks could retire in their forties.All they had to do to receive it,was present them annually at a bank.Children of thousands of Greeks had been receiving their parents pensions ,some for decades.
    Using satellite imagery,tax inspectors discovered 16,974 unregistered/untaxed swimming pools in Athens alone.Random checks revealed 6,000 people with incomes declared under 10K owned car worth in excess of 100K.Only 5,000 people claim to earn over 100K in a country with a population of 11 million.The government has failed to tackle the endemic failure to pay taxes,utilities and reform a lavish pension/retirement regime.It would be nice to retire at 50,pigs will fly in Ireland!The 8 billion paid over the past 12 years into the pension fund of 25,000 power workers.
    Greece has failed to reform the closed shop/barriers to competition in specific labour markets.Some 250 professions from electricians to solicitors benefit from "special regimes".Whether they work or not civil servants can claim bonuses for punctuality,washing their hands regularly,or having to use a Xerox machine.Some state enterprise employees get up to 5 days a year stay in a luxury hotel.This is the surreal world of Greece,home of ancient civilisation,founders of democracy.
    Certainly the politicians have had their heads in the trough,MPs who are paid 16 monthly salaries a year!Political parties receive 10 euro annually for every election vote,German equivalent subsidy 70 cent!Ministries where only half the staff bother to turn up for work and others who are paid to do nothing.Until now parties were allowed to offer expatriate Greeks free tickets home to have a holiday and vote in elections,no taint of influencing one's vote there!This is one of the reasons Olympic Airways went bust,as the parties never paid the bills.The list goes on and on.Without doubt I empathise with the ordinary workers who have paid their dues and not benefitted in this bankrupt in many ways system/country.Peaceful protest I'm all for,but not these yobs engaging in violent protests.These 2 day national strikes are a joke,they need to put the axe to the wheel and work to get their country out of it's quagmire,not make it worse.They should be grateful that their German fiscally sensible paymasters(who must to be sick to the teeth)/troika have'nt turned off the tap and emptied the ATM machines and examine their own consciences.To be honest with the criteria(fiscal rectitude) etc for admission to the single currency/Euro zone my mind boggles how the Greeks were allowed in the door.A default on their part is going to be really bad for us.
    Ireland is having to perform the same examination but believe me we are starting from a much better position.

are you suggesting that the 2000 or so staff working in HR in the HSE have sufficient work to keep themselves busy? not for a second do i believe this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

bamboozle wrote: »
    are you suggesting that the 2000 or so staff working in HR in the HSE have sufficient work to keep themselves busy? not for a second do i believe this.

No,totally agree with you on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Joan Burton has fired him from the Citizens' Information Board.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0703/healyraej.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Great news. On you bike you money grabbing sponger.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

There is a very good chance he won't get re elected anyway, in my opinion one of the reasons his father was so succesful was he supported succesive governments with slim majorities and/or excessive amounts of cash to spend during the boom years.
    FG probably couldn't even care less about that gob sh*te and certainly wouldn't be minded to give him credit for roads, piers etc the same way his father was pandered to by FF.
    If he delivers less to the people of south Kerry they might just see him as an average politician and think twice about re electing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

The timeline of this is - a Minister asks Healy Rae to step down from the board of a quango, he publicly refuses and a week later damaging reports about a 4 year old incident appears in a newspaper discrediting him(not that that was very difficult). He is then sacked.

It's right this information was made public and it is right he was sacked, but it makes you wonder what other potential scandals are being swept under the carpet- like this one would have been if Healy Rae had done what he was told. This story should have been made public when it was discovered in 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Rubik. wrote: »
    The timeline of this is - a Minister asks Healy Rae to step down from the board of a quango, he publicly refuses and a week later damaging reports about a 4 year old incident appears in a newspaper discrediting him(not that that was very difficult). He is then sacked.

It's right this information was made public and it is right he was sacked, but it makes you wonder what other potential scandals are being swept under the carpet- like this one would have been if Healy Rae had done what he was told. This story should have been made public when it was discovered in 2007.
    That's interesting, it is indeed very curious how this information was ever dug up in the first place. I cannot imagine that it was just 'happened upon'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

later10 wrote: »
    That's interesting, it is indeed very curious how this information was ever dug up in the first place. I cannot imagine that it was just 'happened upon'.

Ahh gosh, you'd have to be awful cynical to think that politicians mainly only get caught for wrongdoing when other politicians have something to gain from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Ken Foxe has an article in the mail today detailing the amount of money this family(Healy Rae's)have been paid by the tax payer....€8m!!!!! What a total disgrace this includes both MHR and JHR claiming maximum expenses where ever possible. The family plant hire business were also granted contracts for over €5m by kerry county council.....I happened to be visiting a hospital last week and everywhere patients care was under serous stress due to cutbacks!yet we still have money for the wages and expenses of theses clowns(and dont get me started on how much o donoghue and his wife screwed from the taxpayer on 5* hotels and 1st class travel!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

a gangster like that on a citizen information board really was a very misguided choice in the first place, fox looking after the chickens comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

later10 wrote: »
    That's interesting, it is indeed very curious how this information was ever dug up:D in the first place. I cannot imagine that it was just 'happened upon'.

Someone should probably call Batman before this goes any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

bonzos wrote: »
    Ken Foxe has an article in the mail today detailing the amount of money this family(Healy Rae's)have been paid by the tax payer....€8m!!!!! What a total disgrace this includes both MHR and JHR claiming maximum expenses where ever possible. The family plant hire business were also granted contracts for over €5m by kerry county council.....I happened to be visiting a hospital last week and everywhere patients care was under serous stress due to cutbacks!yet we still have money for the wages and expenses of theses clowns(and dont get me started on how much o donoghue and his wife screwed from the taxpayer on 5* hotels and 1st class travel!!!)

€8m a year, sickening. I see Danny Healy Rae 'inherited' his uncles seat on Kerry County Council upon MHR's election to Dail Eireann.

I propose for the next Dail if there are going to be 10-13 less seats South Kerry lose out on 1 seat for consistently electing self serving money grabbing me feiner gombeens, and in the meantime those hats they wear should be banned in Dail Eireann.

Advertisement