Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More proof of Healy Rae gombeenism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I should hope so but no I don't think anything will be done. He was probably entitled to do it :rolleyes:

Nothing illegal so he'll brass neck it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

thebman wrote: »
    I should hope so but no I don't think anything will be done. He was probably entitled to do it :rolleyes:

Nothing illegal so he'll brass neck it out.

Will 'Dad' take the wrap?

The yahoos down there will only love him more because of this, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

unreal, its like something out of val falvey

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

A complete and utter GOB****E. How the fu*k can people in Kerry elect nóinses like Healey-Rae and his father ><

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

From The Journal:

"INDEPENDENT TD MICHAEL Healy-Rae won a celebrity television competition after winning over 3,500 votes that were generated from an Oireachtas phone in 2007, it has emerged."

A resigning offence?

http://www.thejournal.ie/healy-rae-won-tv-show-after-thousands-of-calls-from-the-dail-164750-Jun2011/

I wouldn't think so especially in this country????
    If it turns out to be the da, he'll just brassneck it out and keep drawing his pensions and being awarded Kerry CoCo contracts.
    See, what's missing in this country is accountability for the 'little' things like this which lends itself to no accountability everywhere which leads to mammoth clusterfcuks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

and poor micheal didnt take his NTPF board appointment for some strange reason. - maybe cos it's being disbanded?

handy board that.
    wrote:
    There was correspondence from Government Buildings too with former Taoiseach Brian Cowen writing to Mr Healy-Rae last June with some good news. 'Following our recent discussions on the matter, I now wish to confirm that I have spoken to my colleague Ms Mary Harney... who has agreed to appoint Cllr Michael Healy-Rae to the board of the National Treatment Purchase Fund.
    'I am sure that Michael will make a fine contribution to the workings of the board.' he wrote.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0605/healyraej.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

patar wrote: »
    A complete and utter GOB****E. How the fu*k can people in Kerry elect nóinses like Healey-Rae and his father ><
    em, read the rte article, maybe that'll help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its crazy and ill bet his supporters will see nothing wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It isn 't that there is nothing wrong here, I just find the image of J.H.R. sitting at his desk in Oireachtas Eireann re-dialling and re-dialling a phone-in reality tv show pretty amusing.

What was he thinking?

Maybe the Prince of the Kerrymen enjoyed immense popularity in Leinster House?

Anyway, while a revelation of this nature might be embarrassing to some 'serious' politicians, I am sure that it will not faze Mr Healy Rae. It certainly isn 't a resigning offence, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

and they shot Michael Collins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

later10 wrote: »
    It isn 't that there is nothing wrong here, I just find the image of J.H.R. sitting at his desk in Oireachtas Eireann re-dialling and re-dialling a phone-in reality tv show pretty amusing.

Shame on you - a disgraceful suggestion.

He would have got one of his (taxpayer funded) aides to do it!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

He wont be resigning over it and all he can say is that the calls came from leinster house,Have they nothing better to be doing in there and that's a lot of dialing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I honestly think it might have been worse and someone was paid to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Let's find out what happened here in this case first before we go nuts

What we should be going nuts in is how the hell you can dial premium numbers from DE or any other state org. The cost of these numbers normally mean they are blocked in the private sector.

Put MHR to one side for now. What I would like to know is how much has been spent on prem nos from DE for say the last 12 months and then also what the spend has been for all of the public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

realies wrote: »
    He wont be resigning over it and all he can say is that the calls came from leinster house,Have they nothing better to be doing in there and that's a lot of dialing.

The suggestion is that it was done using some kind of repeat dial divice/software. I find it highly unlikely that the obvious suspect was able to manage to set that up on his own. He doesn't strike me as as much of a tekkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Gombeen Junior was on Newstalk this morning defending himself cause every penny went to charity, the poor fella didnt seem to realise that idiotic and arrogant waste of tax payers money cannot be justified by saying it went to charity.....at least thats what i think he was saying, he always ramps up the accent when on de wireless.

Between himself and the bull the voters of Kerry South could do us all a favour and not vote in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Did we really need any more proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

bamboozle wrote: »
    Gombeen Junior was on Newstalk this morning defending himself cause every penny went to charity, the poor fella didnt seem to realise that idiotic and arrogant waste of tax payers money cannot be justified by saying it went to charity.....at least thats what i think he was saying, he always ramps up the accent when on de wireless.

Between himself and the bull the voters of Kerry South could do us all a favour and not vote in the next election.

I was listening to that earlier and I couldn't believe he was actually being serious.

Is he a complete idiot or what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭GSF

Do we think it will hurt his dad's chances of becoming President? :eek: How's that campaign going these days anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bamboozle wrote: »

said the same thing on morning ireland as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What was he thinking?

Maybe the Prince of the Kerrymen enjoyed immense popularity in Leinster House?

Anyway, while a revelation of this nature might be embarrassing to some 'serious' politicians, I am sure that it will not faze Mr Healy Rae. It certainly isn 't a resigning offence, in my opinion.

Ah now,
    No doubt this will be added to the long line of political inepitude and skulduggery that we have come to expect in this country and the people who carried it out will get away with it, however it certainly is a resigning offence.
    While the money that is involved may be small fry in the scheme of things, at some point our politicians (and indeed we) need to start making examples of this type of behaviour. No doubt leglistation exists that these people can be charged with.
    If this is let go, like everything else, we've shown that we've learned nothing from the past and are willing to accept the same future. I'd love to see a complete review of all of these Healy Rae expenses in the past few years (as well as some other politicians as well to be honest). If this type of thing was done who knows what other stuff was goin on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

This is just another small example of the malignant rot at the centre of Irish power that eminates outwards and permiates the entire structure.

Why are premium numbers not banned from official phones, anyway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wouldn't be looking for a resignation, but I would be looking for premium numbers to be blocked from those phones and him possibly paying the money back or donating a personal amount himself to charity as a gesture?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wouldn't be looking for a resignation, but I would be looking for premium numbers to be blocked from those phones and him possibly paying the money back or donating a personal amount himself to charity as a gesture?

:eek:

So you're saying that you want him to essentially admit that he's in the wrong by paying the money back but he shouldn't be punished for it? Absolutely shocking tbh.

That's one of the biggest problems with Irish Politics, absolutely no accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

bluewolf wrote: »

Thats not the standard we should expect from our elected representatives.
    Yep - block premium rate numbers if that is required (there may be a reason they aren't)
    Giving the money back or donating to charity - fcuk that. If this hadnt been reported we'd never have known. God only knows what other skullduggery is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nijmegen wrote: »
    This is just another small example of the malignant rot at the centre of Irish power that eminates outwards and permiates the entire structure.

Why are premium numbers not banned from official phones, anyway?

It was mentioned at 9 that the premium rate lines were now blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

GSF wrote: »
    Do we think it will hurt his dad's chances of becoming President? :eek: How's that campaign going these days anyway?

Thank fook the whole country votes for the President and not just the people of Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

The problem is, as Michael Healy-Rae stated that he was on the programme for the whole week, and can thus prove he was nowhere near Dublin, let alone Dail Eireann for the week. Its has obviously been arranged by someone who knows him but if it was his father he is long gone out of the Dail. I'm afraid the only people who can do anything here are the voters of South Kerry

The suggestion is that it was done using some kind of repeat dial divice/software. I find it highly unlikely that the obvious suspect was able to manage to set that up on his own. He doesn't strike me as as much of a tekkie.

The problem is that people like yourself totally underestimate people like Michael H-R, they are usually written off as country buffoons coming up to Dublin and being totally confused by the "big schmoke". Its an image they love to project and nurture. It works both ways: some people believe them to be idiots and thus incapable of installing, or arranging for installation of a basic computer programme. They are intelligent people, they would not be where they are if it were not for some cunning and intelligence.

Secondly, they can nurture this image at home in Kerry with the whole "them against us" and "look at what the media are writing about us, we are the only people who ye can trust".

Its essentially a win-win situation for them living off peoples gullibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

BaZmO* wrote: »
    :eek:

So you're saying that you want him to essentially admit that he's in the wrong by paying the money back but he shouldn't be punished for it? Absolutely shocking tbh.

That's one of the biggest problems with Irish Politics, absolutely no accountability.

Given everything else that's happened then I think resigning is a bit much for abuse of the phone lines?
    What else do you think should happen or do you think he should resign too? And how likely is that given that as someone else said, he was nowhere near Dublin anyway so nobody could prove it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

mike65 wrote: »
    It was mentioned at 9 that the premium rate lines were now blocked.
    Just a pity that it takes reaction to something going wrong for things to be fixed.

Proactivity. We've heard of it.

Advertisement