Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More proof of Healy Rae gombeenism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yep, spinning the whole thing to try make him look good - the guy should be hanging his head in shame and tendering his resignation over this phone issue and the issue over the directorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

A very simple question would resolve all of this, "Did you arrange for more than 3,000 phone calls to a premium rate number to be made from Leinster House, and if you claim that you did not, then how do you explain this, as the only person who could possibly benefit from this act???"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

A very simple question would resolve all of this, "Did you arrange for more than 3,000 phone calls to a premium rate number to be made from Leinster House, and if you claim that you did not, then how do you explain this, as the only person who could possibly benefit from this act???"

He has been asked variations of this repeatedly and we all know what his answer would roughly be: "I didn't make any calls, I don't know who did make these calls and I had nothing to do with it. I am not responsible for the actions of others." Repeat ad nauseum.

There's not a hope he'll be drawn on it or give a straight answer.

GerM wrote: »
    He has been asked variations of this repeatedly and we all know what his answer would roughly be: "I didn't make any calls, I don't know who did make these calls and I had nothing to do with it. I am not responsible for the actions of others." Repeat ad nauseum.

There's not a hope he'll be drawn on it or give a straight answer.

The state of the little runt, he is a dispicable person from a dispicible family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

There's hardly a business in the country that hasn't premium rate calls barred on their phone lines ... why were they not barred on Oireachtas lines & have they been barred now?

Might be an idea to have a look at what other Premium Rate numbers were called .... not just the competition ones I mean! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

later10 wrote: »
    I am just questioning why a dozen calls from Ned O Sullivan is worthy of a Mammy Wilson inquest and an RTE news update.

Well I'm a bit confused about it... From what he is saying it could be a possibility that Jackie Healy Ray pressurised a number of people within the building (i.e. not just one single person which seemed to be the initial assertion) to make the calls..

I dont think there is any way that this situation is good for anybody though.. Either a) the calls were made by loads of people within the Iarachtas buildings, in which case you would wonder have they all really nothing better to be doing as the economy was unfolding around them... or b) One person either manually or using and autodialling machine, misused the resources of the Government and has not been held accountable for doing so..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I only caught the end of the Last Word but I think he said that Daddy Rae sent around an email drumming up support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

On the radio earlier, he said that as a Charity benefitted, a lot of good came from this scandal!

Misuse of taxpayers money is not good!
    Misuse of Oireachtas privileges is not good!
    Using these privileges to raise his profile is not good!

Paying the bill and saying he is not responsible is not acceptable. He will recoup the money via expenses , no doubt.

His ilk will never resign, because they have a neck harder than diamond!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I only caught the end of the Last Word but I think he said that Daddy Rae sent around an email drumming up support.

He did send around letters.. Joe Duffy got Joe Taylor to read them (complete with Jackie Healy Rae accent) on yesterday's Liveline.. Should be up on the podcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I despise any voter who betrays their country by voting in these weasels, what the hell is wrong with the Irish voter is the system that flawed or are we the problem, either way it needs to be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

rasper wrote: »
    I despise any voter who betrays their country by voting in these weasels, what the hell is wrong with the Irish voter is the system that flawed or are we the problem, either way it needs to be changed

Because basically we get the democracy we deserve.

If the people of South Kerry want to elect a 'Sugar Daddy', then a sugar-daddy they will have.

Not only does it reflect badly on them, but it reflects badly on Irish Democracy in general.

The country may be going down the tubes, but at least the parish-pump is flowing in South Kerry.

Shame on you all as Irishmen and Irishwomen. I pity anyone who can't think beyond his or her country boundaries in the context of the challenge we all face as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Its more than 3,000 calls that was just the peak amount noticed. According the the Irish Daily Mail , could be up to 26,000 calls from leinster house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If this was the UK he would have resigned by now. It's something our politicians don't possess, dignity and morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Because basically we get the democracy we deserve.

If the people of South Kerry want to elect a 'Sugar Daddy', then a sugar-daddy they will have.

Not only does it reflect badly on them, but it reflects badly on Irish Democracy in general.

The country may be going down the tubes, but at least the parish-pump is flowing in South Kerry.

Shame on you all as Irishmen and Irishwomen. I pity anyone who can't think beyond his or her country boundaries in the context of the challenge we all face as a nation.

Agree with you but the real problem is not with local voters who logically voted for their 'sugar daddy' the problem is with the power hungry elite who created the sugar daddy culture by giving in to his every whim regardless of cost or logic just so they could stay in power. If Ahern, Cowan & Co had the balls to say feck off Jackie, Michael et al & shove your wish lists there wouldn't be a sugar daddy in Kerry, Tipp, North Central or anywhere else.

Ah but then that would have taken a degree of statesmanship alien to this country .. poor old Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

InReality wrote: »
    Its more than 3,000 calls that was just the peak amount noticed. According the the Irish Daily Mail , could be up to 26,000 calls from leinster house.

When we look back at what was going on in 2007, the debts rising and the banking crisis in its glory and the likes of the bored morons in Leinster House voting for son of the biggest Gombeen we have ever had, its no wonder our country went down the tubes. Pay up son of Gombeen and shut the F*ck up.

Have to say, bad and all as things have gone to in Ireland since 2007, I've never seen as much justified disgust, outrage and hate towards one politician on the forum in all the years I've been on this site. Even Callery, Dempsey, Harney or Cullen were not held in such contempt...

Have to say, bad and all as things have gone to in Ireland since 2007, I've never seen as much justified disgust, outrage and hate towards one politician on the forum in all the years I've been on this site. Even Callery, Dempsey, Harney or Cullen were not held in such contempt...

I have to say, I had more contempt for Callelly - but this comes close - either way, both guys that this country should not have as representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Please tell me that FF was not behind this latest cheating / lies / misrepresentation / abuse of power.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0629/healyraem.html

Again it looks like this may have been the work of FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Ha, Daily Fai....

Oh wait not this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

raymon wrote: »
    Please tell me that FF was not behind this latest cheating / lies / misrepresentation / abuse of power.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0629/healyraem.html

Again it looks like this may have been the work of FF.

Yeah probably. I heard they rigged X Facor as well. Cher Lloyd was robbed.

Someone should probably call Batman before this goes any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

later10 wrote: »
    Yeah probably. I heard they rigged X Facor as well. Cher Lloyd was robbed.

Someone should probably call Batman before this goes any further.

???

Because it is you later10 , I'm sure there is something condescending in there somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Has anybody actually looked at the timeline to see what was going on when this competition was on in the Dail?

It could be that JHR email was not just a request but a reminder that he wasn't going to vote with the government unless a mass phone in happened.

If JHR smelled the government collapsing, knowing an election would be coming up and MHR would be running and not him, this would be massive profile raising exercise.

The government would never admit to it happening as it would one of the most embarrassing things to ever happen a government I'd imagine.

Lets face it the only real alternative is an auto-dialer when you look at the volume of calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

kippy wrote: »
    I have to say, I had more contempt for Callelly - but this comes close - either way, both guys that this country should not have as representatives.

still have more contempt for Callely, often see him swanning around the prom in Clontarf...obviously spending more time in DUblin since losing his seanad seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

if Eircom had blocked the calls after 3,500 calls came a state line and the use of an autodialler had to be considered , would it not be realistic to assume that this was a criminal action to defraud the taxpayer , why only a letter with no reply, if this was a clerk in a county council would this not be referred to the Gardai is it not theft

Are we in some kind of crazy upside-down land here? I mean, WTF?

Why isn't this crook resigning??? We have been robbed in his name. If you saw this in a film you wouldn't believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

kippy wrote: »

To be fair the two issues are not even close. Callelly is the dirt on my shoe. Healy rae is a gombeen.

rasper wrote: »
    if Eircom had blocked the calls after 3,500 calls came a state line and the use of an autodialler had to be considered , would it not be realistic to assume that this was a criminal action to defraud the taxpayer , why only a letter with no reply, if this was a clerk in a county council would this not be referred to the Gardai is it not theft

It should be deffered to the Gardai ANYWAY - they are the only ones that can investigate and send a case forward to the DPP if one exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Is it reasonable to surmise that JHR knows where many of the Dail bodies are buried given how lightly this is being investigated.

• Advertisement

Is it reasonable to surmise that JHR knows where many of the Dail bodies are buried given how lightly this is being investigated.

100% - thats not the point however - politicians should not be accountable to other politicians.
    The Gardai should investigate - if JHR has issues with politics in this country and has bodies to dig up, let him off. It might help tidy up the body politic and at least show the citizens of this country what has been happening.
    After that the Gardai can investigate them as well.

If we dont have enough Gardai, a unit should be set up to investigate political corruption, abuse of power and fraud. The same unit that is looking at Anglo etc.......
    Every politician I have heard comment on this has said that paying back the money will draw a line under it.
    NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Email sent to elected TD's in Galway today, CC'd to party leaders:

To whom it may concern,
    For the past 100 odd days the new government have been making the right noises and attempting to turn around this country. However in the past few days a story has come to light that will really test the resolve of the government and indeed the body politic. Lots have promises have been made about accountability and efficiency. Now we have a "test case".
    A FULL and FAST investigation needs to take place on the phone calls that were made from the Oireachtas in 2007 in order to determine if a case is there for the DPP to prosecute on. This HAS to be done by the Gardai and NO ONE ELSE. I don't beleive it is moral, ethical or indeed legal (as we have seen in the past) for politicians to be investigated by politicians. This practice has to change.
    Someone has broken a number of laws (not just a minor infringement here) in order to vote for MHR and sadly most politicians I have heard comment on the subject have suggested that repaying the money will draw a line under it. It shouldnt if we are to have learned anything from the past.
    I implore you to request the assistance of the Gardai in this matter at once and to make it public that you and the party you represent are not happy with the repayment of monies only or you wont be getting mine and my wifes vote next time out,
    Kind regards,
    Poster.
    I

Advertisement