Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More proof of Healy Rae gombeenism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

bamboozle wrote: »
    still have more contempt for Callely, often see him swanning around the prom in Clontarf...obviously spending more time in DUblin since losing his seanad seat.

Callely is a contemptuous cretin. With that said, he ended up getting the deserved treatment of a contemptuous cretin. The people of his constituency made their opinions count and he was not reelected. His scummy mate saw that he was put into a senate position but he's gone from that now also and, I'm told, is in financial difficulty and his public image is in tatters. He has reaped what he sowed.

MHR is as shameless as he is useless. He treats the public in a disrespectful manner and is in politics just to squeeze every penny he can as highlighted by his refusal to resign from a public board despite being requested to do by a government minister simply to pad out his €92k salary with a further €6k with expenses on top of that. And the very worst thing he would be reelected tomorrow undoubtedly in my mind. I'd even suspect that he has managed to twist this so he has actually increased his popularity in his constituency.

Depressing stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

sollar wrote: »
    To be fair the two issues are not even close. Callelly is the dirt on my shoe. Healy rae is a gombeen.

Both the attitude to both is the same when it comes to being held to account, "fúck you"...

sollar wrote: »
    To be fair the two issues are not even close. Callelly is the dirt on my shoe. Healy rae is a gombeen.

I'm not so sure. Healy-Rae's family are just as dirty. South Kerry politics are riddled with them through appointments. His sister is in a government appointed role, two family members are councillors, father former TD. MHR refuses to resign from a position that he has no business being in as it gives him a handy €6k a year plus expenses. His father refused free transport so he could claim expenses between Kerry and Dublin throughout his time in office. JHR gave his support to the bail out to keep in bed with the FF government. The family plant hire company, purely coincidentally, is a major winner of Kerry council contracts. All on top of the latest fiasco. They're a corrupt, backwards and self serving dynasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

Lapin wrote: »
    Just heard he's decided to stump up the cash for the phonecalls. 24 hours too late now imo. Reputation tarnished for life.Resign - And good riddance.

Just goes to show what type of person he really is. He didn't even have the brains to think of the potential future consequences by refusing to pay up when this story broke.

Did he look at damage limitation? It appears not. Instead he went on the defensive and got thick over it & then did what politicians are good at.... he did a U turn (probably after getting some sound advice to actually pay up).

Considering his father was approached about this back in 2007 and either refused or declined to comment about the initial query I have no doubt that MHR has been aware of this since 2007.

People,

Politicians are like bread. They come out of the same oven but just wear different wrappers & after a while they go stale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

it's my understanding that micheal healy rae was a kerry councillor at the time.

so why is he paying back on calls made from a Dail phone?

i'm as angry as everyone else here but why is it michael dealing with this when surely it's his father who should be?

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    it's my understanding that micheal healy rae was a kerry councillor at the time.

so why is he paying back on calls made from a Dail phone?

i'm as angry as everyone else here but why is it michael dealing with this when surely it's his father who should be?

The spotlight is falling upon him as he was the beneficiary and he's footing the bill because it will paint him in a good light if he manages to spin it correctly i.e. not his fault or responsibility but, because wrong was carried out and he's associated with it, he'll take the hit for other people's misdeeds to ensure the public are not out of pocket. People's champion.

With his father in his eighties now and no longer in the public eye, he can simply wash his hands of it despite being the likely culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Anyone hear Gift Grub this morning on the MHR phone scandal in it MHR states that his father did make a phone call but had to call over 3000 times as they could not understand him.:D about the only thing that's funny about this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

kippy wrote: »
    100% - thats not the point however - politicians should not be accountable to other politicians.
    The Gardai should investigate - if JHR has issues with politics in this country and has bodies to dig up, let him off. It might help tidy up the body politic and at least show the citizens of this country what has been happening.
    After that the Gardai can investigate them as well.

If we dont have enough Gardai, a unit should be set up to investigate political corruption, abuse of power and fraud. The same unit that is looking at Anglo etc.......
    Every politician I have heard comment on this has said that paying back the money will draw a line under it.
    NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Email sent to elected TD's in Galway today, CC'd to party leaders:

To whom it may concern,
    For the past 100 odd days the new government have been making the right noises and attempting to turn around this country. However in the past few days a story has come to light that will really test the resolve of the government and indeed the body politic. Lots have promises have been made about accountability and efficiency. Now we have a "test case".
    A FULL and FAST investigation needs to take place on the phone calls that were made from the Oireachtas in 2007 in order to determine if a case is there for the DPP to prosecute on. This HAS to be done by the Gardai and NO ONE ELSE. I don't beleive it is moral, ethical or indeed legal (as we have seen in the past) for politicians to be investigated by politicians. This practice has to change.
    Someone has broken a number of laws (not just a minor infringement here) in order to vote for MHR and sadly most politicians I have heard comment on the subject have suggested that repaying the money will draw a line under it. It shouldnt if we are to have learned anything from the past.
    I implore you to request the assistance of the Gardai in this matter at once and to make it public that you and the party you represent are not happy with the repayment of monies only or you wont be getting mine and my wifes vote next time out,
    Kind regards,
    Poster.
    I
    Well, good on you for sending the email, but you have little chance of success. The Gardai only become involved in serious criminal cases and simply can't afford to involve themselves in trivial matters. Things like supposedly "harmless" paintings of fat politicians need the Guards full attention and deservedly so.

Given their proven record in pursuing Dail cheats such as Ivor Callely - what do you expect :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

another thing that annoyed me was the fact that MHR was claiming his father was too busy to be making these calls what with the affairs of the govt voting being very important at that time....however JHR wasnt too busy to email all the TD's and senators at the time begging for votes for MHR.

Well, good on you for sending the email, but you have little chance of success. The Gardai only become involved in serious criminal cases and simply can't afford to involve themselves in trivial matters. Things like supposedly "harmless" paintings of fat politicians need the Guards full attention and deservedly so.

Given their proven record in pursuing Dail cheats such as Ivor Callely - what do you expect :confused:

if a criminal complaint is made with the Gardai they are obliged to follow it up, complaints were made to Gardai about Ivor Callely which they were obliged to follow up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

GerM wrote: »
    The spotlight is falling upon him as he was the beneficiary and he's footing the bill because it will paint him in a good light if he manages to spin it correctly i.e. not his fault or responsibility but, because wrong was carried out and he's associated with it, he'll take the hit for other people's misdeeds to ensure the public are not out of pocket. People's champion.

With his father in his eighties now and no longer in the public eye, he can simply wash his hands of it despite being the likely culprit.

i'd view michael healy rae paying the bill is a bad move on his part.

he was the beneficiary of the calls but not the culprit.

in an ideal world the two outcomes i'd like would be who ever made the calls should be found, and the ability to make these type and quantity of calls again should be stopped.

i'd view simply paying the money and even asking for the money to be repayed as populist and pointless. the potential for this to happen again is still there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 character

I'm not one of those people who talks about political correctness gone mad, but I miss the days when you could have used words like "retards" "complete spa" to vent anger at these people. Only "f**kwit" has anything like the force you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Indeed, however I have more chance of success with it than being involved in a discussion on the matter here(as much as I do like discussion here), and I guarantee if enough citizens emailed/talk to their local representatives about the matter the success would become more likely.
    I am not sure whatever happened the investigation into Callely or if it is still ongoing - there was a complaint made and I believe the Gardai were investigating - but then we had the debale of the "investigation" and "punishment" he was given by his peers.

Incidentally, I dont believe an incident/complaint has to be reported to the gardai for it to be investigated - there are units that deal with areas of criminality that do not work of public complaints.

Indeed, however I have more chance of success with it than being involved in a discussion on the matter here(as much as I do like discussion here), and I guarantee if enough citizens emailed/talk to their local representatives about the matter the success would become more likely.
    I am not sure whatever happened the investigation into Callely or if it is still ongoing - there was a complaint made and I believe the Gardai were investigating - but then we had the debale of the "investigation" and "punishment" he was given by his peers.

Incidentally, I dont believe an incident/complaint has to be reported to the gardai for it to be investigated - there are units that deal with areas of criminality that do not work of public complaints.
    Well the system is rigged against the plebs, it needs a serious heave to get it moving. I support your actions of course.
    For the guards to investigate politicians, it would have to be very serious to get over the hurdles of subservience within their ranks. I make no insult against individual Gardai but the force overall is politically corrupted from day one with the appointment of the Garda Commissioner. And from on high comes the subservient attitude. I know for a fact the same thing went on in the tax office that some people were OFF LIMITS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

bamboozle wrote: »
    if a criminal complaint is made with the Gardai they are obliged to follow it up, complaints were made to Gardai about Ivor Callely which they were obliged to follow up.

Yes and they promptly rang him and asked him did he do it.

He said no.

They said are you sure and everything and he still said no :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Gardai and Dpp will not go after politicians. They would be put in their place .

Look at how scared they were of Callely . Where does this fear come from?

Callely will never go to court for forgery. Never

If I stole a loaf of bread , I'm sure the gardai would be on the scene in a flash.

If I didn't pay my tv license, I could go to jail.

Politicians have a very high degree of immunity, theft is tolerated , corruption rewarded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

raymon wrote: »
    Gardai and Dpp will not go after politicians. They would be put in their place .

Look at how scared they were of Callely . Where does this fear come from?

Callely will never go to court for forgery. Never

If I stole a loaf of bread , I'm sure the gardai would be on the scene in a flash.

If I didn't pay my tv license, I could go to jail.

Politicians have a very high degree of immunity, theft is tolerated , corruption rewarded

Actually if you stole a loaf of bread, the guards would turn up 40 minutes after the call was made, take a statement from the shop owner and then go back to what they were doing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

now if you couldnt afford a TV licence when they can happily show up at your doorstep at their leisure and when the time is right to get in some overtime, now thats a different story

Well the system is rigged against the plebs, it needs a serious heave to get it moving. I support your actions of course.
    For the guards to investigate politicians, it would have to be very serious to get over the hurdles of subservience within their ranks. I make no insult against individual Gardai but the force overall is politically corrupted from day one with the appointment of the Garda Commissioner. And from on high comes the subservient attitude. I know for a fact the same thing went on in the tax office that some people were OFF LIMITS.
    Well, nothing will change if no one does anything.......
    Discussing things here on threads such as this change nothing. Nice for venting but that is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

thebman wrote: »
    Actually if you stole a loaf of bread, the guards would turn up 40 minutes after the call was made, take a statement from the shop owner and then go back to what they were doing :P

Nothing or playing snooker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

I understand the fuss about this issue, but it pales into insignificance compared to the €40,000 a year 'Leaders allowance' paid to independednts - this payment is essentially corrupt - it is simply paid to buy the support of independents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Nothing or playing snooker.
    Or by the look of the RTE News tonight, preparing your defence for an upcoming court case...

It really is no surprise that every Irish person by nature moves heaven and earth not to pay tax, when you see what those in charge do with the money that is collected...

anymore wrote: »
    I understand the fuss about this issue, but it pales into insignificance compared to the €40,000 a year 'Leaders allowance' paid to independednts - this payment is essentially corrupt - it is simply paid to buy the support of independents.
    interesting but unless we can see an instance where it is withheld due to non cooperation it's not necessarily corrupt.
    If it's just a blanket payment to encourage more independents.... ok .. maybe.

I'll need to find out more about this, have you more info?
    Ta
    It really is no surprise that every Irish person by nature moves heaven and earth not to pay tax, when you see what those in charge do with the money that is collected...

Not true, it's another case of "sure we all caused the downturn" the media is spinning. Fair few exceptions though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

It was Bertie Ahern introduced it to keep the Independent onside - as I say, it was nothing other than bribery - cant understand why FG/Labour have continued it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

well the guys in my office calling premium rate numbers went on for a long time.
    maby things have improved, i hope so.

they guys even had an excel spread sheet on their pcs, over months they wrote down all the questions on the premium rate competition phone line and all the answers

remember these answers were collected over many months of ringing the competition line

much as i agree with you i still feel every cent spent by this state needs to be spent wisely and be fully accounted for, look after your pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.

in fairness to the new govt they have started the slow process of reducing waste and silly costs since coming to power, it wont happen over night but at least some of the rights steps are being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

That is exactly the attitude that has permeated politics & the public service in recent years ... 'sure it's only a pittance, it won't be noticed & even if it is no one will be bothered about it'.

Very simply would you say the same thing if someone hacked your bank accout and took a few thousand?

:mad:

You're getting hammered on this thread for saying that but I do understand your point......

The figures aren't essentially the issue (in this case).
    Its the ethical, moral and legal issues that surround what was done that are far more worrying and are an indictment of quality of the people we elect - not just JHR/MHR but ALL politicians. Very few have demanded an investigation and most have made it clear that in their opinion, paying back the money has drawn a line under it - which it plainly hasnt.

If the ethics, morals and legal side of the politician is warped, one has to wonder whether the amount involved really doesnt matter to these guys and that they have no second thought about acting wrongly in whatever happens in their role.
    I know for a fact that without an investigation no one will know what happened. With an investigation someone should be found at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

You're getting hammered on this thread for saying that but I do understand your point......

The figures aren't essentially the issue (in this case).
    Its the ethical, moral and legal issues that surround what was done that are far more worrying and are an indictment of quality of the people we elect - not just JHR/MHR but ALL politicians. Very few have demanded an investigation and most have made it clear that in their opinion, paying back the money has drawn a line under it - which it plainly hasnt.

If the ethics, morals and legal side of the politician is warped, one has to wonder whether the amount involved really doesnt matter to these guys and that they have no second thought about acting wrongly in whatever happens in their role.
    I know for a fact that without an investigation no one will know what happened. With an investigation someone should be found at fault.
    Ethics and morals dont apply to politicians in this great little country. Never have actually, and probably never will.Those Healy-Raes are despicable.The latest in a long ,long line of despicable politicians.Some of the stuff that goes on beggars belief.It really does.

• Advertisement

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Ethics and morals dont apply to politicians in this great little country. Never have actually, and probably never will.Those Healy-Raes are despicable.The latest in a long ,long line of despicable politicians.Some of the stuff that goes on beggars belief.It really does.

Thats the point I am making.
    Without ethics and morals, worrying about this level of money is pointless.
    These things need to change.
    It is becoming more obvious by the day that the majority of people don't see a problem with these people in politics.

Advertisement