Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More proof of Healy Rae gombeenism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

raymon wrote: »
    Someone should probably call Batman before this goes any further.
    Sure thing Commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The whole issue reminds me of what Stalin once said - One death in a tragedy, one million deaths is a statistic.

Compared to the general €150m wastage with the failed PPARS system, €3,000 is nothing to write home to South Kerry about.

In fact, if it displays anything, it only displays a total lack of imagination and talent on the part of the Healy-Rae clan to really work the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

hey have a lot to learn from the bull on how to milk the system, then ask how much dempsy and the ex minister from waterford, need i say any more buy the healy raes are small time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

bamboozle wrote: »
    €8m a year, sickening. I see Danny Healy Rae 'inherited' his uncles seat on Kerry County Council upon MHR's election to Dail Eireann.

I propose for the next Dail if there are going to be 10-13 less seats South Kerry lose out on 1 seat for consistently electing self serving money grabbing me feiner gombeens, and in the meantime those hats they wear should be banned in Dail Eireann.

This was mentioned on the radio during the week about a TD seats going and how Kerry N/S looked likely to be merged into one constituency.

Can't help but think it will be an attempt to punish the voters of South Kerry for their choices over the years.

Can't help but think the decision of which constituencies are affected should be left out of the hands of those trying to get elected either. A kind of a conflict of interest there I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

thebman wrote: »
    This was mentioned on the radio during the week about a TD seats going and how Kerry N/S looked likely to be merged into one constituency.

Can't help but think it will be an attempt to punish the voters of South Kerry for their choices over the years.

Can't help but think the decision of which constituencies are affected should be left out of the hands of those trying to get elected either. A kind of a conflict of interest there I would think.

I suppose if the business people of South Kerry started to worry that irish people in protest intended to boycott South Kerry,. it might ' soften thier cough' a little. By coincidence, this is the first year in many years that I havent visited the Killarney, Kenmare region - I think I will avoid it altogether this year. Maybe I will head to Dingle instead and give my money to North Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

The whole issue reminds me of what Stalin once said - One death in a tragedy, one million deaths is a statistic.

Compared to the general €150m wastage with the failed PPARS system, €3,000 is nothing to write home to South Kerry about.

In fact, if it displays anything, it only displays a total lack of imagination and talent on the part of the Healy-Rae clan to really work the system.

for this country to get back on its feet every cent needs to be fully accounted for, every cent spent by the state needs to be legit and fully vouched. A system where 2 counciller brothers can claim 200k a year in expenses in utterly reprehensible in the current climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You can already see their defense in it and it is obviously something planned as a defense.

I said "give us your vote" but I meant will you vote for me.

I'm sure other politicians try this trick too and wouldn't be above stealing peoples postal votes if they thought they could get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

anymore wrote: »
    I suppose if the business people of South Kerry started to worry that irish people in protest intended to boycott South Kerry,. it might ' soften thier cough' a little. By coincidence, this is the first year in many years that I havent visited the Killarney, Kenmare region - I think I will avoid it altogether this year. Maybe I will head to Dingle instead and give my money to North Kerry.

Hope your trip doesn't go through Drumcondra or Tipperary, so!

Just to clarify - not excusing the 2 in question - just pointing out that if we were to avoid all constituencies in which lying con-men were elected, we'd all be travelling in boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Just to clarify - not excusing the 2 in question - just pointing out that if we were to avoid all constituencies in which lying con-men were elected, we'd all be travelling in boats.

totally agree,
    Theres no point boycotting these places.
    I mean not all people would have voted for these guys anyway and as you say theres not many constituencies that havent at least in some stage in the past elected a clown of ethical and moral low standing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

bonzos wrote: »
    Ken Foxe has an article in the mail today detailing the amount of money this family(Healy Rae's)have been paid by the tax payer....€8m!!!!! What a total disgrace this includes both MHR and JHR claiming maximum expenses where ever possible. The family plant hire business were also granted contracts for over €5m by kerry county council.....I happened to be visiting a hospital last week and everywhere patients care was under serous stress due to cutbacks!yet we still have money for the wages and expenses of theses clowns(and dont get me started on how much o donoghue and his wife screwed from the taxpayer on 5* hotels and 1st class travel!!!)

Don't forget MHR 'broke his heart' to get elected to that place (our parliament)
    I bet he bloody did when his family can 'earn' 8.5million over 14 years - all off the back of public funds.

Apparently, MHR signed up for an Oireachtas-run course for parliamentary assistant with very generous expenses attached - the only person who arrived every day, promptly signed in and left after three minutes was MHR.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Fortunately with the dual carriageway/motorway, there is absolutely no reason or need to stop in Tipperary anymore.
    I disagree with you on the question of avoiding areas or even boycotting them as a protest against Gombeen politics. One has to start somewhere and to be quite honest the increasing ' urbanisation of parts of the Ring of Kerry combined with the ' industrialisation of parts of it and degradation of other parts mean, for me anyway, that visits to Kerrty are becoming less and less enjoyable. If they dont care enough about Kerry's environment and are happy to elect the people they do, then I am not sure I want to spend my money there anymore.

kippy wrote: »
    totally agree,
    Theres no point boycotting these places.
    I mean not all people would have voted for these guys anyway and as you say theres not many constituencies that havent at least in some stage in the past elected a clown of ethical and moral low standing.
    Again I disagree with you on boycotting. Here is one constituency where many people from outside the constituency actuaally do contribute directly to the economy of the area. Those from outside the area who try to comment on matters in the area, for example the environment, are frequeantly told to ' mind our own business and that we dont understand the country'. Well I see nothing wrong with literally taking my business elsewhere. It is irrelevant whether there are people who didnt vote for them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Fortunately with the dual carriageway/motorway, there is absolutely no reason or need to stop in Tipperary anymore.
    I disagree with you on the question of avoiding areas or even boycotting them as a protest against Gombeen politics. One has to start somewhere and to be quite honest the increasing ' urbanisation of parts of the Ring of Kerry combined with the ' industrialisation of parts of it and degradation of other parts mean, for me anyway, that visits to Kerrty are becoming less and less enjoyable. If they dont care enough about Kerry's environment and are happy to elect the people they do, then I am not sure I want to spend my money there anymore.

I'm sure they'll manage without your few euro if the price you expect them to pay is to halt development, keep the popiulation low, restrict industry/jobs. Should the permanent residents freeze the county in time so that you can enjoy it on a couple of days per year?
    Go elsewhere.

Again I disagree with you on boycotting. Here is one constituency where many people from outside the constituency actuaally do contribute directly to the economy of the area. Those from outside the area who try to comment on matters in the area, for example the environment, are frequeantly told to ' mind our own business and that we dont understand the country'. Well I see nothing wrong with literally taking my business elsewhere. It is irrelevant whether there are people who didnt vote for them or not.

Thats where we disagree, I am glad tourists to ireland dont take your view of such matters......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

Thats where we disagree, I am glad tourists to ireland dont take your view of such matters......

Well I think we're all glad, but if we continue to degrade our product by allowing permission for one off housing to be made by "gombeen politicians" that "understand the country side" then eventually they will stop comming. Sort of the reverse of if you build it they will come

uriah wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll manage without your few euro if the price you expect them to pay is to halt development, keep the popiulation low, restrict industry/jobs. Should the permanent residents freeze the county in time so that you can enjoy it on a couple of days per year?
    Go elsewhere.
    The majority of my holidays as an adult over 25 years have been spent in kerry as well as weekends/days away, so I am one of those people who put thier money where their mouth is. However there is often a tendency to ignore or thake for granted the views of those who business is taken for granted. I am not at all opposed to development - I merely opposed rampant development that will kill the golden goose that tourism has been for areas like Kerry. There are many areas in kerry quite suitable for development, be industrial, green energy or large retail development. Howver there are sensitive environmental areas which once developed will result in the loss of vital revenue from the tourist industry. I have often admired how Muckross House has been able to expand its facilities to cater for the very volumes of people which visit it without taking away from the rutal charm of the place. There are other areas, for example the gardens of Daniel O Connell's house in Derrynane which could certainly be developed further to bring in further tourism. But if people are simply going to plonk bungalows, usually holiday homes owned by non-locals who bring most items even groceries, into the area from shops outside the area, on the crest lines of hills adjacent to the shoreline, then forget it. The tourist trade will be hurt

Well I think we're all glad, but if we continue to degrade our product by allowing permission for one off housing to be made by "gombeen politicians" that "understand the country side" then eventually they will stop comming. Sort of the reverse of if you build it they will come

I dont think you get the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

I dont think you get the point.

I think his point is that he wants to punish the locals for voting for gombeen politicians. And the response is that we're glad foreign tourists don't. However the end result will be the same, electing gombeen politians leads to a degrading of the country side which will effect the tourist industry if left unchecked. So it doesn't really matter what the motive is the end result will be the same, fewer tourists

I think his point is that he wants to punish the locals for voting for gombeen politicians. And the response is that we're glad foreign tourists don't. However the end result will be the same, electing gombeen politians leads to a degrading of the country side which will effect the tourist industry if left unchecked. So it doesn't really matter what the motive is the end result will be the same
    Yep, thats the point, we are a country that has elected some right idiots

Boycotting areas of the country because of who they elect is daft. It's that simple.
    I wouldn't be able to holiday in this country at all.
    What however does work and has been proven to work, is that those in the country that care, put pressure on the people they have elected, to change laws, tighten up monitoring and ensure that there is a level of accountability to the whole electorate, not just the guys that elect you.
    Degrading the country side is the very least of our worries at this stage. One of housing for residents of areas has not and is not the major issue the country faces but if people want to muddy the waters then let them at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Politicans are corrupt all over the world.
    The difference is countries which have agencies that have an agenda/vested interest that can counter-balance them.

Setting up HIQA to be a counter-balance to the HSE is a good example of how to do this. HIQA is not perfect , but has potential.

The US for example is quite good at going after pols.
    Here we have no strong agency to do this.

Its the only way but will any pol set something like that up here ?
    Could easily come back to haunt him or her personally , say they made a genuine mistake , and that became one of the first test case of the new agency.....

Thats as far as my analysis for reform goes. Hope someone can figure out the next step !

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

gambiaman wrote: »
    Don't forget MHR 'broke his heart' to get elected to that place (our parliament)
    I bet he bloody did when his family can 'earn' 8.5million over 14 years - all off the back of public funds.

Apparently, MHR signed up for an Oireachtas-run course for parliamentary assistant with very generous expenses attached - the only person who arrived every day, promptly signed in and left after three minutes was MHR.

So have the rules on the expenses been changed to actually staying for the full amount including signing on afterwards,
    Sometimes we need a chancer to point out the flaws in a system, but its to our shame if these loopholes arent close off, this goes for the above, social welfare, refugee status, medical cards and all our "entitlements"

Yep, thats the point, we are a country that has elected some right idiots

Boycotting areas of the country because of who they elect is daft. It's that simple.
    I wouldn't be able to holiday in this country at all.
    What however does work and has been proven to work, is that those in the country that care, put pressure on the people they have elected, to change laws, tighten up monitoring and ensure that there is a level of accountability to the whole electorate, not just the guys that elect you.
    Degrading the country side is the very least of our worries at this stage. One of housing for residents of areas has not and is not the major issue the country faces but if people want to muddy the waters then let them at it.
    I think you will find most of us here are capable of dealing with a multitude of issues, so dont worry about 'us muddying the waters'. If it is an issue for you, why not just stick with the topics you think you need to focus.

I think you will find most of us here are capable of dealing with a multitude of issues, so dont worry about 'us muddying the waters'. If it is an issue for you, why not just stick with the topics you think you need to focus.

I am and do.

What is happening here is exactly what happened with Callelly, O Donohoe, O Dea, Aherne, etc etc

I think its a bit like bringing up a child. If a child starts crying, a simple act of distraction usually makes them forget why they are crying and they simply move onto the next issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

This family is embarrassing on so many levels. I used to love Ciarraí and spent numerous summers in the gaeltacht there, but ever since the loyal lieges of Dingle came out against An Daingean - "we'll lose tourists!" - I just view the mass of the Kerry people as, in cultural terms, slower West Brits than the rest of the country. It was never principled cultural resistance, but rather it was the same mé féinerism which marked the peasantry in the rest of Ireland sometime around the year 1885. Slow people, not "cute".

As such, there is no better people in Ireland to represent Kerry people than the Healy-Rea family and its extraordinary corruption and gombeenism. They are a perfect example of representative democracy, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Rebelheart wrote: »
    This family is embarrassing on so many levels. I used to love Ciarraí and spent numerous summers in the gaeltacht there, but ever since the loyal lieges of Dingle came out against An Daingean - "we'll lose tourists!" - I just view the mass of the Kerry people as, in cultural terms, slower West Brits than the rest of the country. It was never principled cultural resistance, but rather it was the same mé féinerism which marked the peasantry in the rest of Ireland sometime around the year 1885. Slow people, not "cute".

As such, there is no better people in Ireland to represent Kerry people than the Healy-Rea family and its extraordinary corruption and gombeenism. They are a perfect example of representative democracy, in fact.

Any chance we might be able to annex Kerry before Gombeenism spreads and infests the rest of the country? Is there any cure for it.....the symptoms are two p*icks going around with stupid caps stuck to their baldy heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Any chance we might be able to annex Kerry before Gombeenism spreads and infests the rest of the country?

As I stated above, it's far too late for that.

When is the Moriarty Tribunal due to report anyway ? It's over 2 years late at this stage, which is an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Some of the gross generalizations about Kerry I'm reading here are hilarious. MHR got 15% of the first vote preferences and people on this thread are acting like the entire county voted for him. The majority of Kerry people I know have little time for him, and his clan these days. It's an unfortunate consequence of our proportional representation system that guys like him have a decent shot at getting enough votes to get elected. Besides, there was no bigger cute hoor in this country than Bertie Aherne, and that didn't stop the good people of Drumcondra voting for him.

Some of the gross generalizations about Kerry I'm reading here are hilarious. MHR got 15% of the first vote preferences and people on this thread are acting like the entire county voted for him. The majority of Kerry people I know have little time for him, and his clan these days. It's an unfortunate consequence of our proportional representation system that guys like him have a decent shot at getting enough votes to get elected. Besides, there was no bigger cute hoor in this country than Bertie Aherne, and that didn't stop the good people of Drumcondra voting for him.
    Well actually we are mainly talking about South Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Well actually we are mainly talking about South Kerry
    Obviously not if we have people making generalisations about the entire county.

Advertisement