Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More proof of Healy Rae gombeenism

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

The majority of Kerry people I know have little time for him, and his clan these days.
    ]

These days !

Dude it took them an awful long time to come to that conclusion !

That this family of backwoods gombeens ever got elected anywhere is a sad reflection on those who "woted"" fer them.

And to think not so long ago J.H-R was seriously considering running for President.

Kerry or South kerry I don't care which...your a thunderin disgrace for ever electing these greasy reptiles.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

]

These days !

Dude it took them an awful long time to come to that conclusion !

That this family of backwoods gombeens ever got elected anywhere is a sad reflection on those who "woted"" fer them.

And to think not so long ago J.H-R was seriously considering running for President.

Kerry or South kerry I don't care which...your a thunderin disgrace for ever electing these greasy reptiles.....:eek:

Ha ha good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

who was the campaign manager that ask ned o'sullivan to ring the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

MHR got 15% of the first vote preferences
    Yes, but his real vote taking in all preferences was closer to ¼ of the valid poll.

And we don't know how many spoiled votes went to MHR where the voter failed to fill out the ballot properly. One might have a theory, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

later10 wrote: »
    Yes, but his real vote taking in all preferences was closer to ¼ of the valid poll.
    What exactly is your point here? 75% of the electorate didn't vote for him, and now we are suppost to be gombeens too?
    And we don't know how many spoiled votes went to MHR where the voter failed to fill out the ballot properly. One might have a theory, though...
    You're right. We don't. Which is why that is pointless speculation.

• Advertisement

What exactly is your point here? 75% of the electorate didn't vote for him, and now we are suppost to be gombeens too?
    No, that it is worrying that one voter in every 4 put mark beside his name, and because it was established early on that MHR could not be caught after John O'Donoghue would be eliminated, this indicates that a lot of these voters were giving MHR fairly high preferences

MHR was only 5% behind the man who topped the poll in South Kerry in 1st preference terms, that's a pretty small margin.

No, that it is worrying that one voter in every 4 put mark beside his name, and because it was established early on that MHR could not be caught after John O'Donoghue would be eliminated, this indicates that a lot of these voters were giving MHR fairly high preferences

MHR was only 5% behind the man who topped the poll in South Kerry in 1st preference terms, that's a pretty small margin.
    I don't see how you can damn an entire constituency for the actions of a minority of voters whatever way you selectively quote the voting stats.

I'd say 25% of the electorate in any constituency are idiots. It's not like the Bertie Ahernes, Liam Lawlors, and Michael Lowrys of this country weren't voted in time after time again elsewhere in the country. So that phenomenon is not exactly unique to Kerry South.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't see how you can damn an entire constituency for the actions of a minority of voters whatever way you selectively quote the voting stats.

I'd say 25% of the electorate in any constituency are idiots. It's not like the Bertie Ahernes, Liam Lawlors, and Michael Lowrys of this country weren't voted in time after time again elsewhere in the country. So that phenomenon is not exactly unique to Kerry South.

People seem to be very slow to hammer the voters of North Country Dublin (among other places) for letting Bertie in for decades. The guy has done more damage to this country than the healy raes ever will (no excusing them).
    The difference,
    he doesn't wear a cap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

kippy wrote: »
    People seem to be very slow to hammer the voters of North Country Dublin (among other places) for letting Bertie in for decades. The guy has done more damage to this country than the healy raes ever will (no excusing them).
    The difference,
    he doesn't wear a cap.

Bertie was Dublin North Central...not that it makes much difference...The North County voters put in Raymond Burke esq for decades.!

Your point is valid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Bertie was Dublin North Central...not that it makes much difference...The North County voters put in Raymond Burke esq for decades.!

Your point is valid

Bertie was Dublin Central, dont be dissing us voters of Dublin North Central with having elected Bertie....you can diss us for electing Ivor Callely & Charles Haughey instead!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

bamboozle wrote: »
    Bertie was Dublin Central, dont be dissing us voters of Dublin North Central with having elected Bertie....you can diss us for electing Ivor Callely & Charles Haughey instead!!

Haughey, shamefully, was elected repeatedly. The only thing I can say in our defence is that Ireland was a more insular and blind country at the time. We've grown up and opened our eyes a lot more since then. It's worth noting that after Callely's indiscretions and abuses came to light he was rejected in the next election. Not to be sneezed at considering he was a long established TD and it was still in the midst of the Celtic Tiger with FF riding high.There is some small amount of justice in the world.

GerM wrote: »
    Haughey, shamefully, was elected repeatedly. The only thing I can say in our defence is that Ireland was a more insular and blind country at the time. We've grown up and opened our eyes a lot more since then. It's worth noting that after Callely's indiscretions and abuses came to light he was rejected in the next election. Not to be sneezed at considering he was a long established TD and it was still in the midst of the Celtic Tiger with FF riding high.There is some small amount of justice in the world.

Am sure a few people voted for callely though........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Indeed and in my memeory there were a number of long protacted battles within FF to try to get rid of Haughey and of course the party fractured into FF /PDs. Contrast that with the supine manner in which Ahern was allowed to continue in office for so long.
    It isnt surprising that this country is in the condition it is given the shock and horror that is expressed when some very modest course of action is suggested - truly deserve the politicians we get ! .

Nobody is 'damning' Kerry South and nobody was excluding other counties, I think you are taking criticism of voter behaviour far too personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

he went from being a poll topper in '97 to losing his seat in '07 despite the most elaborate GE campaign i've seen, then his son had an even glitzier campaign for the local election's in '09, giant lifesize posters of the son with the facebook logo more prominent than the FF logo. It was great to see them unceremoniously rejected. Hopefully South Kerry will respond in the same manner to the healy-rae's at the next opportunity.

anymore wrote: »
    Indeed and in my memeory there were a number of long protacted battles within FF to try to get rid of Haughey and of course the party fractured into FF /PDs. Contrast that with the supine manner in which Ahern was allowed to continue in office for so long.
    It isnt surprising that this country is in the condition it is given the shock and horror that is expressed when some very modest course of action is suggested - truly deserve the politicians we get ! .
    Modest?
    Is this the course of action of everyone avoiding holidaying in South Kerry for a couple of years you are talking about?
    That's about as modest as a kick in the face although the issue I have is more the rationale behind it rather than the action itself.

Nobody is 'damning' Kerry South and nobody was excluding other counties, I think you are taking criticism of voter behaviour far too personally.

I dunno later10, when you see people here advocating a total boycott of south kerry based on this incident without too much talk of the other areas in question, I think its fair to say that the area is being "damned".

Modest?
    Is this the course of action of everyone avoiding holidaying in South Kerry for a couple of years you are talking about?
    That's about as modest as a kick in the face although the issue I have is more the rationale behind it rather than the action itself.
    Oh please get a grip ! " everyone avoiding holidaying in South Kerry for a couple of years " Lets stop being so overly dramatic. The reality ia that the mere discussion of a boycott would be more than sufficient to focus minds and that in itself would produce some good. Bear in mind that there are many rural areas, and indeed urban ones as well, throughout the country which do not have the same political leverage as this particular one and have been deprived of their fair share of resources so that the 'South Kerry's of ireland can be bought off politically. Well not everyone voted for Healy Rae ( and indeed 'Lord O Donoghue) but most have benefitted from the largese bestowed upon the area.

Whislt many rural areas are seeing severe cutbacks in local hospitals, the good people of kenmare, a few miles down the splendid wide road from Healy Raes village of Kilgarvan are having a new ' Community Hospital open
    I am delighted that the Government are honouring their commitment to me with regard to new Community Hospital for Kenmare.
    http://www.mylocalnews.ie/articles/438/8/jackie-healy-rae-1870/healy-rae-welcomes-kenmare-community-hospital-17414/

I am delighted that the Government are honouring their commitment to me with regard to new Community Hospital for Kenmare.

There has been good progress made over the last few months. The Brief in nearing being finalised and they should be in a position to go to tender in the next 4 weeks.

All going well with the planning process they will be ready to commence work in November. This is all keeping with my original agreement with the Taoiseach and following on from my announce before the Budget in December 2009.

The details of the work will be a 40 Bed Community Hospital, A Day Care Centre for Older People, A Day Care Centre for Mental Health Issues and a proper Ambulance Base.

Yours sincerely

Jackie Healy-Rae T.D.

Here is an extract from an Irish Indo on the potential closure of the public swimming pool in Killareny which was paid for by the taxpayer.:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/odonoghue-pet-project-on-verge-of-closure-1858546.html?FORM=ZZNR
    " CEANN Comhairle John O'Donoghue's €16m pet project in his own constituency is on the verge of closure, just one year after it opened to the public.
    The former Arts, Sport and Tourism Minister was one of the main supporters of the Killarney Sports and Leisure project, despite several question marks raised over its viability in a tourist town that already had 15 swimming pools......."

Oh please get a grip ! " everyone avoiding holidaying in South Kerry for a couple of years " Lets stop being so overly dramatic. The reality ia that the mere discussion of a boycott would be more than sufficient to focus minds and that in itself would produce some good. Bear in mind that there are many rural areas, and indeed urban ones as well, throughout the country which do not have the same political leverage as this particular one and have been deprived of their fair share of resources so that the 'South Kerry's of ireland can be bought off politically. Well not everyone voted for Healy Rae ( and indeed 'Lord O Donoghue) but most have benefitted from the largese bestowed upon the area.

Whislt many rural areas are seeing severe cutbacks in local hospitals, the good people of kenmare, a few miles down the splendid wide road from Healy Raes village of Kilgarvan are having a new ' Community Hospital open
    http://www.mylocalnews.ie/articles/438/8/jackie-healy-rae-1870/healy-rae-welcomes-kenmare-community-hospital-17414/

There has been good progress made over the last few months. The Brief in nearing being finalised and they should be in a position to go to tender in the next 4 weeks.

All going well with the planning process they will be ready to commence work in November. This is all keeping with my original agreement with the Taoiseach and following on from my announce before the Budget in December 2009.

The details of the work will be a 40 Bed Community Hospital, A Day Care Centre for Older People, A Day Care Centre for Mental Health Issues and a proper Ambulance Base.

Yours sincerely

Jackie Healy-Rae T.D.

Get a grip on what?
    Of course we are only discussing it - but surely discussion is only relevant if what is being discussed is realistic.
    Discussion does nothing to "focus" the minds, especially discussion of such a ridiculous boycott.

• Advertisement

Get a grip on what?
    Of course we are only discussing it - but surely discussion is only relevant if what is being discussed is realistic.
    Discussion does nothing to "focus" the minds, especially discussion of such a ridiculous boycott.

Well it does appear to have focussed your mind on the issue very much :D
    So it would be interesting to see what effects a wider ranging discussion on the matter would have. Not that this weather would make one think bout going to Kerry anway !

Well it does appear to have focussed your mind on the issue very much :D
    So it would be interesting to see what effects a wider ranging discussion on the matter would have. Not that this weather would make one think bout going to Kerry anway !

Of course it has, because it is a completely retarded thing to do.......

Of course it has, because it is a completely retarded thing to do.......
    I see on the thread on Vat reuctions you are all in favour of ' direct actions' !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Eeejits all over this country voted in eejits for far too long. Dubliners voted in Charlie Haughey, Bertie Ahern, Ivor Callely, Ray Burke, Liam Lawlor etc.

Kildare eejits voted in the man who should be in jail more than anyone else, IMO, Charlie McCreevy. Offaly eejits voted in Brian Cowen, then voted in his brother. Tipperary eejts voted in Michael Lowry and Mattie McGrath. Galway eejits voted in Frank Fahy. The list goes on and on ...

Obviously not if people are talking about boycotting the entire county. I have no problem taking personal critiscism for who I voted for. My problem is people giving myself and others in the county flack for who we didn't vote for

The immediate area I live in has treble the population of Kilgarvan and has appalling roads but the road into and out of Kilgarvan is wide and wonderful - as the Christy Moore song says, " you could use it to land a 747 ". Why .? beacuse we dont have political clout .. which is funny as the constituency had a Minister ...perhaps we lived in the wrong part !
    As I said about the new ' Community Hospital in Kenmare and the swimming pool in Killarney, the more resources ' Special Constituencies' like South Kerry get, the less there is for others. So this year I am skipping South Kerry as a holiday destination - they already get quite enough of my tax money as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Here is an extract from an Irish Indo on the potential closure of the public swimming pool in Killareny which was paid for by the taxpayer.:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/odonoghue-pet-project-on-verge-of-closure-1858546.html?FORM=ZZNR
    " CEANN Comhairle John O'Donoghue's €16m pet project in his own constituency is on the verge of closure, just one year after it opened to the public.
    The former Arts, Sport and Tourism Minister was one of the main supporters of the Killarney Sports and Leisure project, despite several question marks raised over its viability in a tourist town that already had 15 swimming pools......."

15 swimming pools :confused:

Does that include hotels?

I assume most of these 15 pools are attached to sports facilities hotels - most would have acess, i.e paid access, to the public, sports clubs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I assume most of these 15 pools are attached to sports facilities hotels - most would have acess, i.e paid access, to the public, sports clubs etc.
    of course it includes hotels, it is the town with the most pools, there was no need for any more

• Advertisement

I see on the thread on Vat reuctions you are all in favour of ' direct actions' !

Two completely different matters.
    I am amazed that you cannot see that...........

Advertisement