Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More proof of Healy Rae gombeenism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

It's probably just as well it's so hard to get a gun here, there'd be a sh*tload of assasinations by now if they were easier to get a hold of :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Lapin wrote: »
    Just heard he's decided to stump up the cash for the phonecalls.

24 hours too late now imo. Reputation tarnished for life.

Resign - And good riddance.

good news, the cynic in me though wonders if he'll do a Fingleton on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The more he clings on to that gig at the Citizens info board, the more credibility he loses.

I think he's dirtied his bib too much now - to the point where, even people in South Kerry are embarrassed by him.

Even if he does manage to slither and snake his way through the remainder of this Dáil term, I can't see him ever being re elected in the future.

The very fact that he buckled under pressure to pay us back for the cost of those phonecalls suggests that he is now aware that we are sick of the type of fúckology and gobshítery he peddles.

This is one political career that is destined to end in failure.

And the sooner the better.

I wish it was the end of his career. I thought the same thing several times about his father.

He will probably have more people in South Kerry voting for him now. Must something in the water down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

I can't believe this guy has the cheek to ask someone how they're voting!!

I'd have told the thick pr1ck to go fcuk himself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Writers for Val Falvey or The Thick of It are probably marvelling and taking notes.
    I heard JHR dismiss it as a hullabaloo.
    Contemptible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I hope he adds inflation and interest onto that repayment...

won't hold my breath though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Rumours floating about that 24k+ calls to that number were made over the period of the tv show from Leinster House

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭naoise80

Why is he repaying over €2600?

The cost to the taxpayer of the calls was €2,181.60 based on the reported 3636 calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

naoise80 wrote: »

The cost to the taxpayer of the calls was €2,181.60 based on the reported 3636 calls.

The price quoted of 60c per call is ex VAT, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭naoise80

And where does the VAT end up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I really can't get over this. He should repay, of course he should but the discourse seems to imply that a repayment will be the end of it. Surely it should begin with repayment and end with some sort penalty based on abuse of public funds for personal gain. I'd advocate resignation but many would condemn me for being too harsh. I don't think it's harsh at all. Why am I getting the impression that all will be well if he pays back the money and that'll be the end of it? Why treat the symptom while ignoring the cause? Politics in Ireland eh...we score well on the corruption index but it's a pity there's no cronyism meter. Our standards for accountability should be up there with the best otherwise they will never be good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

This gobs•ite will probably submit this payment as an expense and claim for it down the line.
    How the people of south Kerry vote this family in it beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

And where does the VAT end up?

That's not the point. If they did this on their own phones they would have had to pay the VAT - just like everyone else who phoned the show.
    The Healy-Raes are not entitled to VAT free phone calls, as much as they probably like to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

coolbeans wrote: »
    I really can't get over this. He should repay, of course he should but the discourse seems to imply that a repayment will be the end of it. Surely it should begin with repayment and end with some sort penalty based on abuse of public funds for personal gain. I'd advocate resignation but many would condemn me for being too harsh. I don't think it's harsh at all. Why am I getting the impression that all will be well if he pays back the money and that'll be the end of it? Why treat the symptom while ignoring the cause? Politics in Ireland eh...we score well on the corruption index but it's a pity there's no cronyism meter. Our standards for accountability should be up there with the best otherwise they will never be good enough.

If Lowry and Callely can get away without any punishment , the Healy rae has nothing to fear.

There is no accountability

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Anyone job in the world, apart from 'Irish Politician', and you would be guaranteed to be fired for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭GSF

Offer to repay :rolleyes: - I'll believe it when we see the cash and not before. :mad:

and of course that should not be the end of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Even if he does manage to slither and snake his way through the remainder of this Dáil term, I can't see him ever being re elected in the future.

The very fact that he buckled under pressure to pay us back for the cost of those phonecalls suggests that he is now aware that we are sick of the type of fúckology and gobshítery he peddles.

This is one political career that is destined to end in failure.

And the sooner the better.

Meh... stupid people have short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 prokofiev

...I'd advocate resignation but many would condemn me for being too harsh. I don't think it's harsh at all. ...

Not at all. I agree...the only remnant of a honourable end to this sorry saga is his resignation.

It is obvious that his supporters made these phonecalls from leinster house. This was to cheat on a national contest in order to gain positive publicity for himself at the expense of the public purse. The fact that these actions have been brought to light begs the question whether more of his cronies placed in public institutions within the sphere of Kerry Co Co/The Healy-Rae commonwealth also used the phone systems at their disposals to make similar amounts of phonecalls.

This is disgraceful. I want to do more to make my protest heard. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭ebbsy

And thats before we talk about all the gobs**tes that voted for him as well......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If we don't have accountability it's our own fault. It's not like politicians in other, better run countries volunteered to implement the various systems that are in place to keep them in check. They were demanded by the public as a basic right and that's how it should be here. In the same vein John O'Donoghue should have been prosecuted for misuse of public funds. If there is no legislation in place to allow for this it should have been put in place and prosecutions then applied retrospectively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Tarnished in the eyes of whom?

South Kerry? You must be joking. You can rest assured that this will not be the cause of the downfall of any Healy Rae in South kerry. M.H.R., like his father had, has one political constituency only, and ultimately it is the opinions of the constituency that matter in relation to his re-election and his future political career - not the opinions of boards.ie users, nor the national electorate.

It would be absurd for MHR to resign his post given that he would probably be forcefully returned to Dail Eireann by the South Kerry natives, and thereafter elevated into the béaloideas. In generations to come some wet young clerk employed with the Folklore Commission, would come down from Dublin into the little townland of Reacaisleach to hear the litriocht bheil of the legend of Michael Healy Rae, the Prince of the Kerrymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kennypowers

With about 15 per cent of the vote mhr only represents a minority of the electorate.Sadly I think that the 15 per cent who voted for him will be galavinised by this event and create a seige mentality of 'us against them'.He will paint himself< in an exaggerated Kerry accent> as a martyr and they will lap it up.
    Being from the area I dont think we have a disproportinate amount of" slack jawed yokels", willing to vote for a gombeen,every county has them.Maybe our pr electoral system needs to be looked at or as mentioned before ,the qualityof candidate the other parties run in these elections needs to improve,but in the meantime the cancer that is the healy raes will only continue to grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

later10 wrote: »
    It would be absurd for MHR to resign his post given that he would probably be forcefully returned to Dail Eireann by the South Kerry natives, and thereafter elevated into the béaloideas.

Again, another aspect that we should demand gets changed; if someone brings the house into disrepute - like Ahern, Callely, Lowry, Cooper-Flynn, etc - then they should be banned from running for election again.

Of course, that's "the system" too, and no-one elected is going to vote for anything that fixes it, because it would either turn their colleagues against them or work to their disadvantage when they need the current lack of accountability some day themselves.

As I said, do we have 166 people in the country with backbone, common sense and ethics ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ned O'Sullivan on with Mary Wilson NOW explaining that about a dozen of the texts and phone calls were his..

The accompanying story
    Ned O'Sullivan admits reality TV calls

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Totally agree.
    He's not the only one who believes this will draw a line under it either. There was a labour and a independent politician on Newstalk this morning saying the same thing and an interview with Joan Burton this afternoon seemed to suggest the same thing.
    There was no talk of the potential criminal charges that should be undertaken against whoever was involved in this, nor were any parties condemning the healy-raes.
    That said, the Cean Choirle (sp) has said that an investigation will take place anyway but it remains to be seen if anything will come of it. I emplore all readers of this post to email/call their elected TD's and make an issue of the fact that MHR and JHR is trying to draw a line under this with a payment when it is obvious that:
    a. More people may be involved.
    b. We have laws against this sort of thing.
    I know, as in posts above, if I did this in any job I have ever been in, I would be at best fired, at worst facing criminal charges, as well has having the expectation to pay back the money.

MHR made the point this evening that all calls should be investigated - fair enough - do that.
    The guy and his increasing stubbornness over the board of the CAB and now this issue really sickens me - we have a standards and ethics in public office bill, don't we?

He tries his damdest to squirm out of things and turn on them on its head. He was trying to maintain he was paying this money back out of the goodness of his heart in the absense of someone owning up, then advised he though that the timing of this versus the move to remove him from a board was suspect and finally said that he was paying it in order to move on and get on with the real problems this country faces (without realising the irony in this statement)

Ned O'Sullivan on with Mary Wilson NOW explaining that about a dozen of the texts and phone calls were his..

The accompanying story
    Ned O'Sullivan admits reality TV calls

Around a dozen?

12 is a dozen. Not 3,600.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

With about 15 per cent of the vote mhr only represents a minority of the electorate.Sadly I think that the 15 per cent who voted for him will be galavinised by this event and create a seige mentality of 'us against them'.He will paint himself< in an exaggerated Kerry accent> as a martyr and they will lap it up.
    Being from the area I dont think we have a disproportinate amount of" slack jawed yokels", willing to vote for a gombeen,every county has them.Maybe our pr electoral system needs to be looked at or as mentioned before ,the qualityof candidate the other parties run in these elections needs to improve,but in the meantime the cancer that is t
    he healy raes will only continue to grow.
    Hopefully Kerry South is one of the constituencies that will lose a TD in tomorrows proposed shake up in the next elections - that being said there are other suspect TD's that one would wonder how they ever got in.
    Would agree with you as well Liam Byrne, something has to be done about this. These guys have free reign. The laws need to be used against these guys (the laws are there) and the Gardai need to investigate them, not their peers with limited and as we have seen, unconstitutional power.......
    We've yet to see any one of these guys face any repercussions for their actions, indeed we've yet to see anything even being investigate by the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

later10 wrote: »
    Around a dozen? 12 is a dozen. Not 3,600.

That's why I said a dozen and not 300 dozen..

I know, that wasnt a criticism of you, I am just questioning why a dozen calls from Ned O Sullivan is worthy of a Mammy Wilson inquest and an RTE news update. Is it the silly season so soon? Maybe Neidin misses the limelight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Someone on another forum made an interesting point earlier, suggesting that we should maybe consider the possibility of vote rigging in Kerry South earlier this year. He only got in on the final count.

You could never be sure 100% with the Healy Raes.

Advertisement