Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More proof of Healy Rae gombeenism

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Oireachtas really ought to go over their bills and determine who exactly made these calls. What a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

It’s funny how irate people are getting at this, should we really be surprised..? A load of media storm and it will all blow over..
    As much as I cannot stand the Healy Raes I commend them for playing the Irish system so well and getting some good deals for the people of Kerry, I wish my town had someone like them! this is small fry compared to what some of our political leaders are up to and the scams that are in operation in Dublin, don’t hate the players hate the game! The Healy Ray's are fairly cute and fair to them for having the balls, there are far bigger gombeens in Leinster house and the Civil Service that are a much bigger embarrassment to this country and a lot more crooked imo but they talk with suave accents and talk the talk so people buy into it
    This is Ireland, corruption is rife and it will not change for another generation, live with or move to a foreign country :cool:

You do not understand national politics. TD's are supposed to be doing work on a national scale. If you want them to look after their own area and interests then elect them as Councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

This is Ireland, corruption is rife and it will not change for another generation, live with or move to a foreign country :cool

Nonsense. Someone needs to be fired for this, ideally Mr. Healy-Rae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

And the outcome of this outrage will be?

Based on previous trends?

And why?

You know already. This country isn't crawling out of the toilet anytime soon.

Dermo wrote: »
    You do not understand national politics. TD's are supposed to be doing work on a national scale. If you want them to look after their own area and interests then elect them as Councillors.

exactly! but what do they do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

exactly! but what do they do...

Are you helping by giving the advice "Just live with the corruption, bad politicians and bad politics or get out"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

But it's not fraud.

There is no offence in making calls to a premium number from the number it was made from.

Is it wrong, of course it is.
    Should the person involved be sacked, of course they should.
    Should these number be blocked, of course they should.

But at the end of the day noting criminal happened so you do not need the guards involved.

I despise MHR and told him as much when I meet him on the campaign trail.

It is a really pity that Tom Sheehan the incumbent FG TD is South Kerry was such a plank that he could not keep his seat and leave MHR out in the cold.

It would be fraud if you were working for me, as it would be a breach of your contract and your terms and conditions of employment to use a company asset that may bring serious detriment to my company or to use a company phone for any reason that is not directly connected, (pardon the pun!), to business that you have to undertake as part of your job.

So, why are similar common sense rules not in place in Lenister House. If a TD were to run up 10K calling a premium rate sex line, would the bill still be paid, "in line with the contractual obligations of the house"???

If it is not a breach of a rule to make calls to a premium rate celebrity contest number, or a premium rate sex line number, that are clearly completely unconnected to the public work of a TD, then the problem here is even greater than I first assumed it to be.

markesmith wrote: »
    Nonsense. Someone needs to be fired for this, ideally Mr. Healy-Rae.

What we need is a new form of government, accountability and a constitution

Sacking Healy Rae will make us all feel better but it will make no difference in the grand scheme of things, the system is f*cked

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It would be fraud if you were working for me, as it would be a breach of your contract and your terms and conditions of employment to use a company asset that may bring serious detriment to my company or to use a company phone for any reason that is not directly connected, (pardon the pun!), to business that you have to undertake as part of your job.

So, why are similar common sense rules not in place in Lenister House. If a TD were to run up 10K calling a premium rate sex line, would the bill still be paid, "in line with the contractual obligations of the house"???

If it is not a breach of a rule to make calls to a premium rate celebrity contest number, or a premium rate sex line number, that are clearly completely unconnected to the public work of a TD, then the problem here is even greater than I first assumed it to be.

But if I were working for you and breached contract by making these calls surely the course of action would be for you to sack me, rather than calling in the guards to investigate a fraud.

The job here is to audit all public service phones and ensure that premium rate numbers are blocked.

You know already. This country isn't crawling out of the toilet anytime soon.

I made a point the other day in a thread in AH, that this country was the most backward, slim infested shíthole, hopelessly suffocating under the helpless choking stench of corruption, that you could be unfortunate enough to find yourself stuck in. People are literally soul shaken by the endless stories of greed, slyness and wanton stupidity that passes for general incompetence in Ireland.

And of course wasn't I the unpatriotic lad for saying this who should go live somewhere else, and then another week comes along and we are listening to more of it again, and next week it will be something else...

• Advertisement

But if I were working for you and breached contract by making these calls surely the course of action would be for you to sack me, rather than calling in the guards to investigate a fraud.

The job here is to audit all public service phones and ensure that premium rate numbers are blocked.

Yes I'd fire you, and stapled to your P45 would be a bill for 2,639 Euro with 24 hours to pay it. If you didn't, I'd call in the Gardai and have a complaint made against you for defrauding me, (I'd probably do this anyway). And I'd have the company solicitor initiate proceedings against you for the recovery of 2,639 Euro plus costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I made a point the other day in a thread in AH, that this country was the most backward, slim infested shíthole, hopelessly suffocating under the helpless choking stench of corruption, that you could be unfortunate enough to find yourself stuck in. People are literally soul shaken by the endless stories of greed, slyness and wanton stupidity that passes for general incompetence in Ireland.

And of course wasn't I the unpatriotic lad for saying this who should go live somewhere else, and then another week comes along and we are listening to more of it again, and next week it will be something else...

There are many fine people in this country and many fine things we as a people have going for it. I wouldn't let the few high profile cases distract me from that.
    Our main issue as a nation, however, is, as you say, our inability to punish those that do wrong.

kippy wrote: »
    There are many fine people in this country and many fine things we as a people have going for it. I wouldn't let the few high profile cases distract me from that.
    Our main issue as a nation, however, is, as you say, our inability to punish those that do wrong.

I fail to see any of the positivities that you can see. This isn't a handful of high profile petty dismeanours. The whole country is being held to economic ransom due to the systemic greed that runs through this country and this recent development is just another example of what has this country in the shíts.

Dermo wrote: »
    Are you helping by giving the advice "Just live with the corruption, bad politicians and bad politics or get out"

I used to beat myself up over it, feel physically sick etc but I have learned to try and ignore it the best i can.. that is just how things operate in Ireland... The majority of people here are quite happy to do things crookedly and not think/care about the consequences but give out like stink from the other side of their mouth.. think of any of the protests that were aired on the news in recent times and how many people actually attended them.. Paddy doesnt give two sh!ts if Mick and his family are starving as long as his nest is lined.. demonstrated in fine fashion again by the DAA last week

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Can't be too long before BBC pick up on this story and it becomes a Paddy joke

Yes I'd fire you, and stapled to your P45 would be a bill for 2,639 Euro with 24 hours to pay it. If you didn't, I'd call in the Gardai and have a complaint made against you for defrauding me, (I'd probably do this anyway). And I'd have the company solicitor initiate proceedings against you for the recovery of 2,639 Euro plus costs.

Well sadly that is not going to happen in this case.

In the public service I'd imagine you would have to commit murder before you are sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

In the public service I'd imagine you would have to commit murder before you are sacked.

If you have the right connections, you might keep your job too! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Michael Healy Rae making statements today saying he didn't make the calls.......
    NO SH!T SHERLOCK!!! :rolleyes:

Not saying much about his daddy though........

Why not??? Do you think we have 2,639 Euro to be paying for some stupid insufferable fúckhound to be voted to win an RTE celebrity show???

Yet again, the same problem that has the country in absolute bits, is still there, LACK OF PROPER REGULATION, LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY!

I fail to see any of the positivities that you can see. This isn't a handful of high profile petty dismeanours. The whole country is being held to economic ransom due to the systemic greed that runs through this country and this recent development is just another example of what has this country in the shíts.

You're not looking in the right places.
    There are many fine people and aspects to this country - sorry if you dont see that.
    I obviously agree that the country is in the sh1ts and that people need to hold their hands up but you cant just say the country has no redeeming features at all........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

how long do these things take per call?

say even with the redial button it takes 10 seconds per call then 3500 x 10 = 35000 seconds = 584 mins = nearly 10 hours!

so if 2 people made the calls its 5 hours each. 4 people and its 2.5 hours each.

madness!

Why not??? Do you think we have 2,639 Euro to be paying for some stupid insufferable fúckhound to be voted to win an RTE celebrity show???

Yet again, the same problem that has the country in absolute bits, is still there, LACK OF PROPER REGULATION, LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY!

I'm not saying it's right I just saying that the current situation where it is very hard to get fired from the public service.

If you want that changed then lobby Minister Howlin till the cows come home to make the reforms you want.

kippy wrote: »
    You're not looking in the right places.
    There are many fine people and aspects to this country - sorry if you dont see that.
    I obviously agree that the country is in the sh1ts and that people need to hold their hands up but you cant just say the country has no redeeming features at all........

I think it's long since past time that we stopped congratulating ourselves on being the self appointed masters of the universe here in Ireland and that everyone automatically loves us because of "who we are"...

We need a serious period of self reflection here in this country, credibility has to be hard earned, how do people look at us when these kind of disgusting news stories hit the internet, and then insult is piled high upon injury when the person at the very centre of the story, the only person who stood to gain from these calls being made, then turns around to the whole country on the national airwaves and basically says, "fúck you Paddy, it wasn't me, sure wasn't I up a mountain somewhere when those calls were made?!?"...???

I'm not saying it's right I just saying that the current situation where it is very hard to get fired from the public service.

If you want that changed then lobby Minister Howlin till the cows come home to make the reforms you want.

And I'm saying that this is exactly where the problem lies, you can do whatever the fúck you want in the PS and you are accountable to nobody. Then we wonder why we are literally strangled with inefficiences, obstructionist work practices, union diktats, work to rules, "for the file" beaurocratic mindsets, whick allows taxpayers money to get utterly píssed about wantonly all over the place...

We can't have it both ways, we can't allow these things to happen and the bills associated with same to be paid without question, and also complain then subsequently that we have no money left at the end of the day to run a country along policies that are associated with a civilised society, because we have chosen to allow the former to happen.

We can be about one or the other, but we cannot be about both.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

bijapos wrote: »
    The problem is that people like yourself totally underestimate people like Michael H-R, they are usually written off as country buffoons coming up to Dublin and being totally confused by the "big schmoke". Its an image they love to project and nurture. It works both ways: some people believe them to be idiots and thus incapable of installing, or arranging for installation of a basic computer programme. They are intelligent people, they would not be where they are if it were not for some cunning and intelligence.

Secondly, they can nurture this image at home in Kerry with the whole "them against us" and "look at what the media are writing about us, we are the only people who ye can trust".

Its essentially a win-win situation for them living off peoples gullibility.

This^ As a foreigner I'd never even heard of Michael Healy-Rae until a couple of weeks ago when I heard him on the radio defending his right to be on some board by basically implying Joan Burton only wanted him to give it up so she could give it to one of her mates (with the implication that that was the most normal thing in the world I might add). He played the simple country fella card to the hilt (that accent is a joke right?), but it was clear what a thoroughly devious fecker he is, and also that he had no concept of "conflict of interest". This episode is just more evidence. A thoroughly dodgy individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mal1 wrote: »
    Can't be too long before BBC pick up on this story and it becomes a Paddy joke
    We need a serious period of self reflection here in this country, credibility has to be hard earned, how do people look at us when these kind of disgusting news stories hit the internet
    Why, in this country do we worry so much about what other people think about us?

the only person who stood to gain from these calls being made, then turns around to the whole country on the national airwaves and basically says, "fúck you Paddy, it wasn't me, sure wasn't I up a mountain somewhere when those calls were made?!?"...???
    Kind of reminds me of the bit in The General where Martin Cahill goes to the local police station and settles down for a nights sleep in the reception area while his cronies were off pulling some stroke.
    When the news comes in the following morning about the robbery Cahill, when asked does he know anything about it by the desk Sargent, says, "Sure what would I know about it? I was asleep here all night"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

List of prime suspects:

1: Jackie Healy-Rae
    2: John O'Donohue

Please add to the list if you like.:D

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why, in this country do we worry so much about what other people think about us?

Because it matters. Perception matters, if we portray ourselves as an island full of neanderthal corrupt brass necked arsehóles, then that is what we will be viewed as.

People around the world, Irish people who might ever have been inclined to come here to create jobs, who might have some wealth, do you think you would make a positive investment decision in relation to this place when this is how we present ourselves???

We can't borrow on the financial markets because our credibility is in absolute tatters and we have let ourselves look like a bunch of incompetent stoogies, then it turns out that even though we are completely dependent upon the goodwill of others now just to run the country every day, that we allow this kind of waste to go on???

Then as I said, insult is piled upon injury, further damaging our reputation and shaming the whole country, where the person who is at the very centre of this, comes out on the airwaves and says it has nothing to do with him?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

dpe wrote: »
    This^ As a foreigner I'd never even heard of Michael Healy-Rae until a couple of weeks ago when I heard him on the radio defending his right to be on some board by basically implying Joan Burton only wanted him to give it up so she could give it to one of her mates (with the implication that that was the most normal thing in the world I might add). He played the simple country fella card to the hilt (that accent is a joke right?), but it was clear what a thoroughly devious fecker he is, and also that he had no concept of "conflict of interest". This episode is just more evidence. A thoroughly dodgy individual.

good synopsis of the Healy-Rae dynasty, as a family/dynasty they seem to fail to realise that they are elected to serve the state and not themselves.

time and again the worrying aspect to a story like this is that people seem to think 'ah sure its only 2k, we're billions in debt its gonna make no difference'
    in reality we need to make sure every cent the state spends is spent in the best interests of the country, if we look after our pennies the pounds will take care of themselves (eventually)

surely each TD has to follow some code of ethics upon entering the dail and making these phone calls or instructing your parliamentry assistant (who i'm sure was also a relative) to make these calls is hardly ethically responsible.

Once again bravo to the good folk of south kerry for continuing to elect self serving politicians.

• Advertisement

I think it's long since past time that we stopped congratulating ourselves on being the self appointed masters of the universe here in Ireland and that everyone automatically loves us because of "who we are"...

We need a serious period of self reflection here in this country, credibility has to be hard earned, how do people look at us when these kind of disgusting news stories hit the internet, and then insult is piled high upon injury when the person at the very centre of the story, the only person who stood to gain from these calls being made, then turns around to the whole country on the national airwaves and basically says, "fúck you Paddy, it wasn't me, sure wasn't I up a mountain somewhere when those calls were made?!?"...???

I never said anyone loves us because of who we are........
    Look, I understand your anger but your earlier comments about this country and it's people are completely unwarranted. I take great offence to them.

Yep, there are crooks all over the shop and yes, we have issues in bringing them to task,

Advertisement