Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride - Embarrassing or Empowering?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Dudess wrote: »
    but there's still something that kinda bugs me about a lot of the protestors when the Palestine solidarity movement holds marches on a Saturday.
    That's because they aren't pro palestine, they are anti USA, it's the usual rentacrowd.

On topic, I wouldn't define myself by my sexuality, and if I did I doubt anyone would care. I've loads and loads of friends who are gay, bi, and lesbian, not to mention some truly outrageous (in a good way) drag queens, and it really doesn't bother me where they sleep at night. If they are nice people, they are alright with me. Do I think a gay pride march is a good thing? Sure, why not, but I don't think anyone really cares - this ain't the 1950s anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

I dont care too much about parades but would rather not see lads walking down the street in PVC suits with the arse cheek gone out of them, gay or straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

I'm sorry if this offends but I find the whole "Gay Pride" event totally embarrassing...how the hell can you be proud of a crap parade? The whole thing of parading your sexuality is just strange to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

montane wrote: »
    I dont care too much about parades but would rather not see lads walking down the street in PVC suits with the arse cheek gone out of them, gay or straight.

what about women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

At least they do it in summer because pride comes before a fall.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Just because you're gay, doesn't mean you should act like anything less than a man.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Just because you're gay, doesn't mean you should act like anything less than a man.

How does a man act?

efb wrote: »
    How does a man act?

In many ways. But not how some will act at the gay pride parade.

The women?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

and?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

And it is beneath them to act in such ways.

And it is beneath them to act in such ways.

as defined by whom?

as defined by whom?

It ought to be defined by themselves through self respect.

It ought to be defined by themselves through self respect.

So I determine how I act is manly, and respect myself for that.

So I determine how I act is manly, and resect myself for that.

Acting like an attention seeking entertaining poodle rolling over to get it's belly scratched does not make a man. A love between two men is a powerful thing. These displays of "pride" by the minority are superficial self defacing crap.

Acting like an attention seeking entertaining poodle rolling over to get it's belly scratched does not make a man. A love between two men is a powerful thing. These displays of "pride" by the minority are superficial self defacing crap.

So you define it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

A love between two men is a powerful thing.

How Greek. :rolleyes:

A love between two men is a powerful thing.

So you define it then?

That would take some writing. Respect is a huge part of being human. Be it as a male or a female . Those public displays of this behaviour flies in the face of it. Being gay shouldn't mean to reduce oneself to that. Luckily for most it doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

So the issue with anycommitting attention seeking behavior, by your definition, or just when gay people do it?

Because I've could have sworn that I saw a guy on Dame Street on Saturday night on his back looking for his belly to be scratched...

That would take some writing. Respect is a huge part of being human. Be it as a male or a female . Those public displays of this behaviour flies in the face of it. Being gay shouldn't mean to reduce oneself to that. Luckily for most it doesn't.

"Those Public Displays"- what are those?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

as defined by whom?

Dsmythy - moral arbiter

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

diddlybit wrote: »
    Because I've could have sworn that I saw a guy on Dame Street on Saturday night on his back looking for his belly to be scratched...

What was he doing on his back??? We all know what he should be doing...

diddlybit wrote: »
    So the issue with anycommitting attention seeking behavior, by your definition, or just when gay people do it?

Ha ha no doubt.

The behaviour and mindset and the society that creates it irks me, regardless of who is doing it and why. When the local authorities spend money on an organised expression of it, it's worse.

"Those Public Displays"- what are those?

Males not acting like men as mentioned.
    Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Dsmythy - moral arbiter

How ya doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

as a gay person i find it cringey
    Nothing against anyone who takes part in it each to their own and all that.
    I just find playing up to negative stereotypes that you try to banish is counterproductive at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

as a gay person i find it cringey
    Nothing against anyone who takes part in it each to their own and all that.
    I just find playing up to negative stereotypes that you try to banish is counterproductive at the very least.

I agree. The other day someone commented that I was very "straight acting". The tacky campy crap of pride only reinforces the notion that gay people are mincing fairies who love colourful trash. They don't represent me, and they're so prominent that everyone assumes they do.

Zillah wrote: »
    I agree. The other day someone commented that I was very "straight acting". The tacky campy crap of pride only reinforces the notion that gay people are mincing fairies who love colourful trash. They don't represent me, and they're so prominent that everyone assumes they do.

Is 'Straight acting' something gay people should aspire to?

Were any of you the Gay Pride Parade last year? There were far more people marching in civvies, like me, than there were in colourful costume, but they did look more fabulous ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

rochey84 wrote: »
    Its about achieving equal status, as it stands, gay people cannot get Married, or adopt children in the eyes of the state, Gay Pride is initally about that! When straight people are treated like second class citizens then maybe there will be a straight pride parade

Straight people are treated as second class citizens in many other areas of life. A man's legal right to decide the right to life of his unborn child and the likelyhood of looseing custody if a relationship breaks up.

But let them march if they want to march, democratic right and I hope they enjoy the day out.

Advertisement