Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride - Embarrassing or Empowering?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

efb wrote: »
    Is 'Straight acting' something gay people should aspire to?

You're missing the point. Partly due to the camp theatrics of pride, people have gotten it into their heads that that is how gay people behave, and if you do otherwise you are "straight acting". Apparently I am supposed to prance around looking fabulous or I'm just imitating straight people.

I dislike it because I'm being misrepresented.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should be stopped, and I think other events are a great idea (gay film/theatre festival etc), but I don't like how it warped people's perceptions.
    voz es wrote: »
    Straight people are treated as second class citizens in many other areas of life. A man's legal right to decide the right to life of his unborn child and the likelyhood of looseing custody if a relationship breaks up.

Not because they're straight though. It's not like they would let that man make the decision if it turned out he was gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Just on the issue of 'pride': not sure why people are objecting to its being called 'gay pride' (as opposed to straight pride blah blah disingenuous rabble) since I've always taken it to mean, as opposed to being ashamed of one's sexuality. That gay people shouldn't be ashamed of themselves, or hide their true sexuality away, but be openly gay and comfortable with that, be proud to stand up for the rights and equality that gay people deserve.

I do think that dressing up outlandishly and being over the top possibly doesn't further the agenda - I just think that a bigot or homophobe, far from being able to see past sexuality and identify with the people behind that one aspect of their genetic make-up, it would further alienate them and therefore make it less likely to be able to identify with the needs and rights of gay people. I mean, if I were marching for women's equality, I wouldn't dress up in an apron, or dress up in a bikini or anything that would distract from my message or give the exact kind of people against whom I am struggling any excuse take me less seriously. That said, I know that that's a separate issue, and if some people do want to dress up etc etc then who's to stop them? I just question how that furthers their cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Straight people are treated as second class citizens in many other areas of life. A man's legal right to decide the right to life of his unborn child and the likelyhood of looseing custody if a relationship breaks up.

But let them march if they want to march, democratic right and I hope they enjoy the day out.

There you are talking about fathers' rights moreso than straight persons rights. And I do believe fathers rights are being denied in this country and would support their claim to them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

But let them march if they want to march, democratic right and I hope they enjoy the day out.

Unless the mother of the child is always a lesbian, that's not a dscrimiation based on sexual orientation and your argument falls apart.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

What you're talking about there is totally different, the "gay agenda" as it being known as is to achieve the equal status in terms of Marriage and Adoption. A father's right to custody of a child should a relationship break up is also a gay issue should we ever get the right to adopt a child!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

rochey84 wrote: »
    What you're talking about there is totally different, the "gay agenda" as it being known as is to achieve the equal status in terms of Marriage and Adoption. A father's right to custody of a child should a relationship break up is also a gay issue should we ever get the right to adopt a child!

rochey84 - the Gay Pride parade acheives nothing in this respect. What does achieve something?

Contributing by political lobbying using groups such as GLEN and Marriage Equality and listening to those who disagree with you without hurling ad-homine ms and taking seriously any objections that others may have and thinking constructively about how to resolve these objections.

The second any LGBT campaigner chucks in the "homophobe" card instead of listening and contributing valid argument it is akin to shooting onesself in the foot with a shotgun as far as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

ellloisa wrote: »
    y durante la siesta del bebé, la casa Ropa interior Calvin Klein necesita recogió y la ropa se acumula alta. Al final del día, "Jane" se siente como una sirvienta, un chofer, una cocinera y una nodriza. Nada se asemeja a una mujer dinámica y Calzoncillos Calvin Klein sexy está en la descripción de su trabajo diario. Por lo tanto, es un excelente ejemplo de por qué las mujeres compran lencería. Cuando "Jane" se desliza sobre el traje de seda, ella es una mujer, en primer lugar.

From Google Translate:
    and during the baby's nap, the house needs to Calvin Klein underwear and clothes picked accumulates high. At the end of the day, "Jane" feels like a maid, a chauffeur, a cook and a nurse. Nothing resembles a dynamic woman and sexy Calvin Klein Underwear is a description of their daily work. Therefore, it is an excellent example of why women buy lingerie. When "Jane" is slipped over the silk dress, she is a woman first.

A woman first indeed....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

There are many ways to earn respect. Mincing down the street on a float shaped like a giant penis while wearing ill fitting hotpants and blaring Kylie tunes is not one of them.

philologos wrote: »
    rochey84 - the Gay Pride parade acheives nothing in this respect. What does achieve something?

Contributing by political lobbying using groups such as GLEN and Marriage Equality and listening to those who disagree with you without hurling ad-homine ms and taking seriously any objections that others may have and thinking constructively about how to resolve these objections.

The second any LGBT campaigner chucks in the "homophobe" card instead of listening and contributing valid argument it is akin to shooting onesself in the foot with a shotgun as far as I see it.

I'm inferring a hostile tone there where I'm sure there isn't but I'll respond accordingly.

I responding to the post made about straight people being treated as 2nd class citizens, what does gay pride achieve you ask? I agree it has very little political influence if any, but as a previous poster suggested it is about empowering the people who do feel like they have to hide, its about showing those that are scared, lonely, suicidal directly because of their sexuality, that there is light at the end of that tunnell (I should know I was one of these people) it is about celebrating those that up until 1993 had to hide in dark ally's, parks, and couldn't be themselves and take pride in themselves for fear of the Law, to be PROUD of the achievements so far!

Any other questions?

I'm inferring a hostile tone there where I'm sure there isn't but I'll respond accordingly.

I responding to the post made about straight people being treated as 2nd class citizens, what does gay pride achieve you ask? I agree it has very little political influence if any, but as a previous poster suggested it is about empowering the people who do feel like they have to hide, its about showing those that are scared, lonely, suicidal directly because of their sexuality, that there is light at the end of that tunnell (I should know I was one of these people) it is about celebrating those that up until 1993 had to hide in dark ally's, parks, and couldn't be themselves and take pride in themselves for fear of the Law, to be PROUD of the achievements so far!

Any other questions?

So would you suggest that the Government and the city should facilitate marches for all demographics that feel the need to be empowered and demonstrate this publically? Or are there limits, and if so why are there limits?

I don't see why one should be proud of a sexual orientation. It's always confused me as to the idea that people can derive an identity from sexuality.

Ultimately I don't mind as I can just ignore the Pride Week events but there's a lot about it that I'm not sure of.

I don't know how you got a hostile tone out of that post by the by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,258 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There are many ways to earn respect. Mincing down the street on a float shaped like a giant penis while wearing ill fitting hotpants and blaring Kylie tunes is not one of them.

Earns mine. Rather a bit of free expression than some self-important twat wearing a pinstripe suit driving a BMW.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So would you suggest that the Government and the city should facilitate marches for all demographics that feel the need to be empowered and demonstrate this publically? Or are there limits, and if so why are there limits?

I don't see why one should be proud of a sexual orientation. It's always confused me as to the idea that people can derive an identity from sexuality.

Ultimately I don't mind as I can just ignore the Pride Week events but there's a lot about it that I'm not sure of.

I don't know how you got a hostile tone out of that post by the by.

I'm sorry for inferring the hostile tone, however can I ask where you have proof the the government or city don't allow other parades/protests/ marches in the city/country? Every demograph as you state it is fully entitled to this I believe provided they organise it and pay for it themselves. Again I ask that you read my previous post, its not a pride of sexual orientation as such its pride in the steps toward equality that we have acheived in less than 20 years, its pride in the fact that people can truly and fully be themselves. I can understand how the language of my previous post may have led you the belief that we are proud of our sexuality.

Do you understand the concept of pride now?

I'm sorry for inferring the hostile tone, however can I ask where you have proof the the government or city don't allow other parades/protests/ marches in the city/country? Every demograph as you state it is fully entitled to this I believe provided they organise it and pay for it themselves. Again I ask that you read my previous post, its not a pride of sexual orientation as such its pride in the steps toward equality that we have acheived in less than 20 years, its pride in the fact that people can truly and fully be themselves. I can understand how the language of my previous post may have led you the belief that we are proud of our sexuality.

Do you understand the concept of pride now?

I don't say that they don't. I'm asking if lines should be drawn or should every group be able to march wherever and whenever they want?

I don't think that is entitled, there has to be some merit in it in order to close streets and so on. By the by, the Pride Parade is funded by Dublin City Council / The Government I'm fairly sure.

I don't say that they don't. I'm asking if lines should be drawn or should every group be able to march wherever and whenever they want?

I don't think that is entitled, there has to be some merit in it in order to close streets and so on. By the by, the Pride Parade is funded by Dublin City Council / The Government I'm fairly sure.

But every group can march whenever and whereever they want provided they sumbit the neccessary paperwork in time for the required date. If the government do fund Pride (I couldn't be sure of that) I'm sure the organisers of Pride would be happier with that money going to achieve the equal status. Also on side note, Pride is no longer JUST about LGBT community although it is primarily it is a festival that is open to ANYONE, hence it being known as Pride and not "Gay Pride"

I accept all your argument against Pride however I will ask you to show me another group of Irish Citizens that are refused the right to a family with the partner they love? or another group of Irish citizen that in the last 18years have only achieved a legitimate stance in the eyes of the law, or a group that had to bring the Irish Government to court in Europe to achieve that legitimacy?

I accept all your argument against Pride however I will ask you to show me another group of Irish Citizens that are refused the right to a family with the partner they love? or another group of Irish citizen that in the last 18years have only achieved a legitimate stance in the eyes of the law, or a group that had to bring the Irish Government to court in Europe to achieve that legitimacy?

That s nothing to do with the Pride parade really. It has to do with how the State deals with family units. I don't believe that it is a "right" to adopt. It is a right to be considered for adoption.

That s nothing to do with the Pride parade really. It has to do with how the State deals with family units. I don't believe that it is a "right" to adopt. It is a right to be considered for adoption.

Fair point on the adoption thing I had assumed that it would be inferred. But The Parade and Pride is to celebrate how far we've come to reward those that have fought for those rights and to remind others that we aren't done yet.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

Fair point on the adoption thing I had assumed that it would be inferred. But The Parade and Pride is to celebrate how far we've come to reward those that have fought for those rights and to remind others that we aren't done yet.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

I do, but I think we could do with a more subtle reminder really :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

polygamysts...as far as I know they haven't actually achieved any legitimate stance as of yet. Should they though?

Never really thought about it before. Hmmm...

I do, but I think we could do with a more subtle reminder really :pac:

Maybe but you have to remember that as stated previously it is not just reminder but a celebration, people party as a way of celebrating hence the big party. If Dublin won the All Ireland and had a parade down O'Connell Street, would you complain because we as Dubs don't need the party or the reminder?

Wompa1 wrote: »
    polygamysts...as far as I know they haven't actually achieved any legitimate stance as of yet. Should they though?

Never really thought about it before. Hmmm...

Really weak argument and I'm hoping it was actually a joke, considering to the best of my knowledge pologomy isn't a human right or something you're born with, its something you choose and its against the constitution and they have yet to bring the government to the European courts to attempt gaining legitimacy here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭whiteboy

why can't we have a pride parade for conservatives?

whiteboy wrote: »
    why can't we have a pride parade for conservatives?

See my previous posts, apply for the permit pick a date and fill in the neccessary paperwork, get a committee to organise it, but wouldn't any kind of parade for conservatives be against the very nature of being conservative?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Pride.

What is the opposite of pride? Shame.

For years people were "Gay"(LGBT) were told they should be ashamed of who and what they were, their sexuality, the people they loved. If they were public about their sexuality they faced jail, to shunning, to being attacked, burned out of their homes.

Many people forget the grip the RCC had on society and dictated how people behaved and how they mistreated other people. Still to this day there are people who will say that they don't know a 'gay' person, to this day we have people beaten up due to being 'gay' and we have 'gay' couples who can't hold hands walking down the street or do any of the normal acts of affection which couples do in public due to ignorance and intolerance.

It would be great some day that there was no longer a need for a Pride festival.
    That young people growing up would know that being 'gay' is not wrong or shameful.
    But we are not there yet.

Yes it would be nice if the media would report the events over the whole week instead of 90 seconds of footage which picks out the most 'colourful' parade participants but that is not the parades fault or that of those in it.

Anyone who says that Pride based on that 90secs does not represent them is just as ignorant. I suggest you go and have a look and see all the normal ordinary people who will be there taking part. The point of the Parade is to let people know there are a hell of a lot more LGBT people out there then they know.
    We are not the tiny minority people think and invisible people have invisible rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭whiteboy

See my previous posts, apply for the permit pick a date and fill in the neccessary paperwork, get a committee to organise it, but wouldn't any kind of parade for conservatives be against the very nature of being conservative?

It could be more of a rally

Really weak argument and I'm hoping it was actually a joke, considering to the best of my knowledge pologomy isn't a human right or something you're born with, its something you choose and its against the constitution and they have yet to bring the government to the European courts to attempt gaining legitimacy here.

It wasn't a joke. You asked for an example. I'm sure some of them feel like it's their right to have as many partners as they so choose.

Also on that whole born with it thing, my ex g/f left me for a woman. She did a psychology Phd and left me because she was a lesbian...she had sent me artciles about fluidity in sexuality which claimed for some people it's not something you are born with. Who do I listen to!?!?

Maybe but you have to remember that as stated previously it is not just reminder but a celebration, people party as a way of celebrating hence the big party. If Dublin won the All Ireland and had a parade down O'Connell Street, would you complain because we as Dubs don't need the party or the reminder?

The example you have provided represents a much larger subset of the population. Again this is more an argument for arguments sake because I don't really mind it, I just don't see the point.

Sharrow wrote: »
    For years people were "Gay"(LGBT) were told they should be ashamed of who and what they were, their sexuality, the people they loved. If they were public about their sexuality they faced jail, to shunning, to being attacked, burned out of their homes.

Any links on gay people being jailed because of their sexuality in Ireland? never saw anything about that happening here. Had heard about it in England

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I am not going trawling for links, the law was on the books here and it was only removed in 1993 so not even 13 years ago. if you want to go digging for case law do it yourself.

The example you have provided represents a much larger subset of the population. Again this is more an argument for arguments sake because I don't really mind it, I just don't see the point.

Either way the argument is valid, it doesn't matter the size of the subset, it is still a celebration, would you object to it then? ask for a more subtle celebration or reminder?

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    It wasn't a joke. You asked for an example. I'm sure some of them feel like it's their right to have as many partners as they so choose.

Also on that whole born with it thing, my ex g/f left me for a woman. She did a psychology Phd and left me because she was a lesbian...she had sent me artciles about fluidity in sexuality which claimed for some people it's not something you are born with. Who do I listen to!?!?

Well for me personally and most gay people I know it was something they were aware of from puberty. I'm sorry to hear about your ex leaving ya for a woman, however I would say bisexuality is fluid, maybe asexuality. And they may feel its a right but they are not repressed the same way LGBT people were, you're arguments are really weak man!

Advertisement