Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride - Embarrassing or Empowering?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

As far as I can see its an excuse for a big session.

And who doesn't like a big session?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Saying the same percentage of hetero people experience the same difficulties as that of gay people is disingenuous rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

rochey84 wrote: »
    Also on a side note, this thread is not "Do You Agree With Gay Pride" so I'm asking both sides of that agrument to tone down the political aspect and keep the thread light hearted.

That's a little difficult, especially if you are one of the people that happens to be a "source of embarressment". You also cannot disentangle Pride form politics, as you said so yourself, it's necessary because we still haven't achieved full equality.

*leaves to find smallest pair of shiny hotpants imaginable and get my rainbow on*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

steve06 wrote: »
    Not all gay guys want to shag you... :D

I know that haha. Did you not read my post where I said that the guys were chatting them up? That usually means they DO want to shag you...:rolleyes:

*I have had a few isolated issues with lesbians*

Did they try to get a toaster out of you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

diddlybit wrote: »
    Did they try to get a toaster out of you?

I find alot of the one s i have come across to be worse then fellas for fighting.

I know there not all the same but getting the face pulled off me for no good reason at all by a woman who knew well i couldnt touch her back wasnt much fun.

I dont see the sexy part of lesbians either as most men would i see them the same as any other woman unless they act different.

If i am out with a gay friend in a gay club and i for example say hi hows things to a lesbian working in the coat room and because i am a straight man she stares a hole right threw me then wheres the respect in that??

Things like this are reason i have more time for gay men then women.

I presumed you were a girl, hence the toaster reference. Oops.
    I find alot of the one s i have come across to be worse then fellas for fighting.

I know there not all the same but getting the face pulled off me for no good reason at all by a woman who knew well i couldnt touch her back wasnt much fun.

I dont see the sexy part of lesbians either as most men would i see them the same as any other woman unless they act different.

If i am out with a gay friend in a gay club and i for example say hi hows things to a lesbian working in the coat room and because i am a straight man she stares a hole right threw me then wheres the respect in that??

Things like this are reason i have more time for gay men then women.

I don't think you can base your opinion on a whole group of society on these incidents. Personally, I've never seen a fight in a gay club but then that isn't to say that they don't happen.

I presumed you were a girl, hence the toaster reference. Oops.

I don't think you can base your opinion on a whole group of society on these incidents. Personally, I've never seen a fight in a gay club but then that isn't to say that they don't happen.

I know i tend to not tar everyone with same brush as they say but i think ive come across maybe 2 lesbians in Ireland that didnt treat me like ****e and they where me mates lol.

Theres probley loads out there who would be just like anyone else and be harmless but im basing things on my experience only and ive had enough of it that i tend to just stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Theres probley loads out there who would be just like anyone else and be harmless but im basing things on my experience only and ive had enough of it that i tend to just stay away.

Do you come across sleazy? :D because my best made is a lesbian and I go out with her, her gf and her friends a lot and I've never seen any trouble or never got in trouble. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

That's a little difficult, especially if you are one of the people that happens to be a "source of embarressment". You also cannot disentangle Pride form politics, as you said so yourself, it's necessary because we still haven't achieved full equality.

*leaves to find smallest pair of shiny hotpants imaginable and get my rainbow on*

Ok I retract the statement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

homophobia, from a homosexual?

Yes -

"Nancy queers dressed like morons giving the rest of us a bad name" - his words. He despises the Louis Spence's of the world because they're an embarrassment to what he is.

This is homophobic

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Do you come across sleazy? :D because my best made is a lesbian and I go out with her, her gf and her friends a lot and I've never seen any trouble or never got in trouble. :D

Act same as i do any other night and no thats not sleazy either :P

I guess its the same with anyone of any gender or sexual nature that u get pricks in all circles of life i tend to just have bad experiences with lesbians and ive no idea why cause i get on well with gay men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I couldn't care less really.

A gay mate of mine never goes because he says they are primarily attended by those 'who identify as gay people' rather than 'people that just happen to be gay', and he doesn't have much time for them. Not sure if this is a common view or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Yes -

"Nancy queers dressed like morons giving the rest of us a bad name" - his words. He despises the Louis Spence's of the world because they're an embarrassment to what he is.

This is homophobic

So if I say "Look at that sleazy pr!ck over there drooling over every woman in the bar giving us all a bad name" is that hetrophobic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Here comes the drama again :rolleyes:

Well, here comes that shit mongo icon - in lieu of saying something intelligent - again but I'm not complaining am I?

Redlion wrote: »
    No I didn't, however I did get bullied for my physical appearance. Ginger hair can lead to that.

Right ok - so you haven't got bullied because you are straight - fair enough
    I believe anyone who has suffered from any form of bullying had them thoughts cross their mind at some stage, being homosexual does not make you a special case of that.

The incidences of parasuicide and suicidal thoughts as well as mental health problems have been proven to be very high amongst LGBT people
    No, I have not, but I have been bullied because of other unchangeable aspects of my life such as physical appearance. On top of that, I have not witnessed a homophobic attack in my life(That's not saying it doesn't happen though)
    - It happens - I know one guy who badly beaten up by his father when he came out.

No, but I have yet to see widespread society deem homosexual relationships unworthy either. Of course there are intolerant people out there, but they are a stable in ALL aspects of society, criticizing EVERYTHING.
    - Lack of access to any form of legal recognition of relationships is a major way of deeming them unworthy

No I have yet to come across this problem. However I do have problems letting people know who the real me is, and that I find it hard to show my real self to people..I belief these would be in the same vein. One lad came out in my school last year, in a 6th year with about 100 lads. No-one said anything, cause no one cared about the sexuality of the guy sitting beside them.
    Well that's great for you that you haven't come across it - again it happens - the workplace, the schoolyard and the home are often unsafe place for LGBT people - In particular they can be places of violence (not just physical but cultural and material as well)
    I have gay friends, and believe me, they have **** all concern about people being judgmental about their relationships, much like any of the people I know in straight relationships.
    Well that might be true and that's great but they might also not discuss these things in depth with you
    No, but I have yet to hear of a widespread epidemic of this occurring.
    I would love for you to give me a link on this, because it does not appear to be a widespread issue.
    Lack of legal recognition for relationships, parenting, acquired gender, allowing religious based employers to be exempt from equality legislation
    Yeah, I really do, because I've been started on regardless of who was accompanying me and what we were doing. Doesn't matter a lot of the time if you're gay or not, scumbags are gonna be scumbags, regardless.

So basically you are saying that you fear targets attacks because you are part of a heterosexual couple and you fear being beaten up because you are with your opposite sex partner
    Do you see the angle I'm coming from?

Frankly no - I see that you are in the privileged position of being cisgender and heterosexual and that you are unable to comprehend anything outside of that privileged life experience

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

rochey84 wrote: »
    Its about achieving equal status, as it stands, gay people cannot get Married, or adopt children in the eyes of the state, Gay Pride is initally about that! When straight people are treated like second class citizens then maybe there will be a straight pride parade

What if we just want a straight pride just for the sake of being proud about being straight?
    I wouldnt bother going on the march because Im a lazy fooker and couldnt give a shiete what sexuality a person is so rather sit at home drinking a few cans :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yes -

This is homophobic

Not sure I agree.

Sounds like they're just making a point albeit inelegantly.

seanybiker wrote: »
    What if we just want a straight pride just for the sake of being proud about being straight?

Every day is a straight pride parade

But guess what - you can have a straight pride parade

When you get bullied because you are straight
    When heterophobic bullying makes you suicidal
    When you are physically assaulted because you are straight
    When society abolishes straight marriage and you want to get married
    When you fear coming out as straight; at home, in the workplace, in school
    When you get kicked out of home by your parents being straight
    When you fear walking down the street in certain areas with your STRAIGHT partner

Then - you can have a straight pride parade

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

People should stop being gay, it sounds like really hard work

When you fear walking down the street in certain areas with your STRAIGHT partner

Cool.

Then after that you can tell us when we are allowed have our "Condecending Pride" march which I'm sure by your tone, you are also an expert on.

As a straight, white, male in my 20's, it seems like my opinion is invalid if it differs with yours. If I disagree, I am told that I will never know the "hardship" that you suffer.

Perhaps not, but in the same respect, you do will never know what hardship I or anyone else has to suffer on a daily basis.

Back on topic: I am all for equality and the right to march and protest for it, but personally I see the over the top and in your face "campness" to be a step backwards in garnering acceptance.

And as for a gay person being called up for reinforcing homophobia for calling Louis Spence a Nancy Queer? I do not think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

You go girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

False Dichotomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

seanybiker wrote: »
    I wouldnt bother going on the march because Im a lazy fooker and couldnt give a shiete what sexuality a person is so rather sit at home drinking a few cans :pac:

The gay pride parade isn't about just for the sake of being proud of being gay though. So what exactly is your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

So unless I've had the worst possible experience being straight then I'm not allowed be proud about it?

Lovely opinion to have. What happens when someone who is gay comes out to everyone, it all goes perfectly fine and they're happy? Are they now allowed be proud about it now because they didn't suffer hardships?

Society is already moving on. The parade is just embarassing now.
    Edit: For the record, a straight pride parade would be stupid. What exactly does being straight mean, as in what would be involved in such a parade? It would just be a bunch of people walking down the road, because there are no events, stereotypes or groups associated with being straight. There shouldn't be stereotypes for Gay/Bi/Tran people either, and all this parade seems to do is enhance the stereotypes they're trying to hard to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

think we need a gay bashing parade to even things up a little

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

^^^^
    Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I'd say if you were after coming out and had met loads of new friends and were finally happy with yourself then it'd be empowering.

But I reckon if you were a straight fella on your way home from work and you had to cross the road just as the parade was being filmed by RTE cameras then it could be fairly embarassing

• Advertisement

Then after that you can tell us when we are allowed have our "Condecending Pride" march which I'm sure by your tone, you are also an expert on.

Oooh, put your handbag down sister.
    As a straight, white, male in my 20's, it seems like my opinion is invalid if it differs with yours. If I disagree, I am told that I will never know the "hardship" that you suffer.

What opinion? As far as I can tell, this is your first post in this thread, so forgive me if I've missed it. The post as to which are referring was simply to elucidate why Pride exists, noone said anything about one persons opinion being invalidated by anothers by merit of their sexual orientation.
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    But I reckon if you were a straight fella on your way home from work and you had to cross the road just as the parade was being filmed by RTE cameras then it could be fairly embarassing

I would say that guy might be a little too easily embarrassed!? I have vision of straight guys in suits now hiding their shame with their breifcases.

Advertisement