Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride - Embarrassing or Empowering?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Bit of craic for all concerned, I'm sure. and some decent passing trade for businesses that will be delighted (largely) with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

why cant we have a straight pride parade???
    Yes we do, its called Paddy's day. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

i dont see why they must have a gay pride parade, there is not much anti homosexuality left in ireland anymore as far as i can, we are a very accepting bunch.

When gays can marry I'll agree wiht that. I was goign to add march 17th for straight pride, but I see it's already been mentioned.
    Redlion wrote: »
    Why are people proud of their sexuality? It's not something they have achieved or worked for, especially in such a Western nation. I'm not proud of being straight, it's just who I am.

And no, I'm not intolerant or homophobic. I even have mates who are gay.

Why are people proud of their nationality? It's not something they have achieved or worked for, especially in such a Western nation...
    (Not saying you personally are nationalistic, but either it's acceptable to go out and public in colourful costumes and express something you are, or it isn't)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

i dont see why they must have a gay pride parade, there is not much anti homosexuality left in ireland anymore as far as i can, we are a very accepting bunch.

Isn't everyday a straight pride day?

When a guy can get the ever loving sh*t kicked out of him for doing no more than holding his partner's hand as they walk through the city, you can't really say that society is very accepting.

In saying that, things have moved on spectacularly, but there is still a ways to go.

On the subject of Pride, I have no beef with it. If people want to march and wear ridiculous clothes, and have a drink, who am i to complain? Frankly, if i wasn't in work, I'd go for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I remember when a friend of mine came out to me, and I remember being kind of shocked but also pretty "meh" about it, in the sense that to be honest I couldn't give a fiddler's who my friends like gettin' jiggy with, men or women or both, etc.

Just less than a year later, we were having drinks on Christmas Eve and he turns to me and says "You know I really AM gay? You never talk to me about it". I felt kind of bad because maybe he needed someone to talk to, and because I didn't feel it was that big a deal, I never really brought it up with him. I guess for me the "Pride" festival is like that- I understand the whole notion of wanting to celebrate the fact that gay people in Ireland can be out and proud etc in a way that wasn't possible in the past. But what I don't get is the need to have that element of loud, brash, in-your-faceness that can go along with Pride.

Then again, I always equate OTT camp behaviour with the likes of straight men who are all "Phwaaooor, get your tits out for the lads"- both are too in your face and it's obnoxious behaviour. Nothing to do with being gay or straight, just too in your face.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Why are people proud of their nationality? It's not something they have achieved or worked for, especially in such a Western nation...

Excellent point, Ikkypoo.

I am not saying this as a joke but i see more discrimination towards "gingers" You dont see them marching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Its empowering to a degree, and embarrassing to another degree.

The idea and concept behind it is good, and the parade acts somewhat as a rebuttal to the discrimination that some LBGT people face.

Having said that, any news reports you see on the day have Muscle-Marys gallivanting around in hotpants dressed as angels and devils, who are clearly just there to get a ride that night, and that's damn embarrassing.

I remember at that huge civil marriage march a few years back, guest speaker Brendan Courtney stands up (after some moving speeches by gay couples and activists) and says "WHO'S GETTING THEIR HOLE TONIGHT?!!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

I am not saying this as a joke but i see more discrimination towards "gingers" You dont see them marching.

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not racist but.....

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Dublin isnt San Francisco. While everyone is allowed free speech these types of parades do nothing but give the chance for gay people to parade around like clowns in their hoards. I really dont see the point of it. So your gay big deal. I would put it in the same category of the 'marches' up north during the summer season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

rochey84 wrote: »

So good people of AH let me know how you feel.

I feel there should be one in Iran...*

Runs for the door, with ear muffs.
    and yes i do know what those stone age tools do to gays in Iran

*supposed to be a poor, poor joke...

Probably would have been funny had you not of said "I am not saying this as a joke but"

alas you just came off as desperately clutching at straws :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Gays can do pretty much nearly anything they want these days.
    Nnnnno. No they can't. And "these days"? God be with times past when they faced discrimination and prejudice and even being criminalised, eh...?
    Here comes the drama again :rolleyes:
    Wah, wah Mammy! Somebody doesn't like what I said! Expect it and get over it if you're going to be posting stuff like "Gays can do pretty much nearly anything they want these days" and not backing it up.

That said, while I'd be very supportive of equal rights and not having to face hate (anyone who says rights are equal and there's virtually no prejudice now "and I'm not homophobic" is talking arse... and protesting a bit too much) I don't know whether the extreme pandering to stereotype is of benefit, as has been mentioned. Some may say it's defiance, but many gay people hate it and feel misrepresented. Nobody should ever feel they have to hide the fact they're gay (and that still happens unfortunately - people still have to leave rural communities in Ireland because of being gay) but being an OTT stereotype is kinda playing into the bigots' hands. Then again though, people have the right to wear what the **** they want and act how the **** they want once it doesn't harm anyone - and certainly without being told they asked for it if they are assaulted. Some of the attitudes here would have me fully supporting the wearing of pink wings and feather boas and tiaras just to annoy the detractors. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Do you get bullied because you are straight?
    No I didn't, however I did get bullied for my physical appearance. Ginger hair can lead to that.
    Are you suicidal because of that bullying?
    I believe anyone who has suffered from any form of bullying had them thoughts cross their mind at some stage, being homosexual does not make you a special case of that.
    Have you been physically assaulted because you are straight?
    No, I have not, but I have been bullied because of other unchangeable aspects of my life such as physical appearance. On top of that, I have not witnessed a homophobic attack in my life(That's not saying it doesn't happen though)
    Has society deemed your relationships (upto now) unworthy of recognition?
    No, but I have yet to see widespread society deem homosexual relationships unworthy either. Of course there are intolerant people out there, but they are a stable in ALL aspects of society, criticizing EVERYTHING.
    Do you fear coming out as straight? at home? in the workplace? in school?
    No I have yet to come across this problem. However I do have problems letting people know who the real me is, and that I find it hard to show my real self to people..I belief these would be in the same vein. One lad came out in my school last year, in a 6th year with about 100 lads. No-one said anything, cause no one cared about the sexuality of the guy sitting beside them.
    Do you feel that you can't discuss your private (straight) life because someone might be judgmental?
    I have gay friends, and believe me, they have **** all concern about people being judgmental about their relationships, much like any of the people I know in straight relationships.
    Have you been kicked out of home by your parents because you came out as straight?
    No, but I have yet to hear of a widespread epidemic of this occurring.
    Does the law treat you in many ways as a 2nd class citizen because you are straight?
    I would love for you to give me a link on this, because it does not appear to be a widespread issue.
    Do you fear walking down the street in certain areas with you partner?
    Yeah, I really do, because I've been started on regardless of who was accompanying me and what we were doing. Doesn't matter a lot of the time if you're gay or not, scumbags are gonna be scumbags, regardless.

Do you see the angle I'm coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Strange thread. How can anyone get embarassed by it? :confused:

I do remember walking through town a few years back when the parade was in its early days. It was lashing rain so the turnout was poor. The entire "parade" consisted 1 truck with a flatbed trailer, with about 10 blokes dressed in pink dancing on it. Hope it has improved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe they should be forced to wear a pink star in public?
    bonerm wrote: »
    Ah, better times.
    The above are ironic. I'm guessing certain "thanks" of them aren't though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

No I didn't, however I did get bullied for my physical appearance. Ginger hair can lead to that.
    I believe anyone who has suffered from any form of bullying had them thoughts cross their mind at some stage, being homosexual does not make you a special case of that.
    No, I have not, but I have been bullied because of other unchangeable aspects of my life such as physical appearance. On top of that, I have not witnessed a homophobic attack in my life(That's not saying it doesn't happen though)
    No, but I have yet to see widespread society deem homosexual relationships unworthy either. Of course there are intolerant people out there, but they are a stable in ALL aspects of society, criticizing EVERYTHING.
    No I have yet to come across this problem. However I do have problems letting people know who the real me is, and that I find it hard to show my real self to people..I belief these would be in the same vein. One lad came out in my school last year, in a 6th year with about 100 lads. No-one said anything, cause no one cared about the sexuality of the guy sitting beside them.
    I have gay friends, and believe me, they have **** all concern about people being judgmental about their relationships, much like any of the people I know in straight relationships.
    No, but I have yet to hear of a widespread epidemic of this occurring.
    I would love for you to give me a link on this, because it does not appear to be a widespread issue.
    Yeah, I really do, because I've been started on regardless of who was accompanying me and what we were doing. Doesn't matter a lot of the time if you're gay or not, scumbags are gonna be scumbags, regardless.

Notice the way you answered "no" to all those questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Paparazzo wrote: »
    thread. How can anyone get embarassed by it? :confused:

I beg and I plead, but every year I just can't stop the aul boy from going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

cosmicfart wrote: »
    give the chance for gay people to parade around like clowns in their hoards.
    What the fsck are you talking about?! :mad: :confused:

The vast vast vast majority of people in the parade are dressed in their workaday clothes, and just walk!

Yes there are a few who bring a bit more colour to the event than that (what parade doesn't have extroverts who bring colour to it?), and yes those are the people that certain sections of the media focus on (presumably for their shock and possibly even bigotry value), but that isn't the reality of the day!

Don't buy into the media prejudice of what they day is actually like!!!

I'll be marching with the trans contingent. I'd like to go in a summer dress, but the weather looks like it is going to dictate jeans and tee-shirt. :rolleyes: And I won't be doing anything more than walking and maybe making a bit of noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Notice the way you answered "no" to all those questions?
    If you read the questions properly, you'd understand that I was making the point that not only people who are gay suffer bullying. They are not a special case, as Johnnymcg seemed to be implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I believe anyone has suffered bullying had them thoughts cross their mind at some stage, being homosexual does not make you a special case of that.

But the levels of bullying direcetd towrds LGBT youth are much higher.
    On top of that, I have not witnessed a homphobic attack in my life(That's not saying it doesn't happen though)

They do.

?!? Do you not read the homophobic bashing of civil partnerships that pop up on a weekly basis in the national mainstreeam newspapers? Also note the fact that I said civil partnerships not civil marriage. If denying people full rights isn't widespread intolerence I don't know what is.
    One lad came out in my school last year, in a 6th year with about 100 lads. No-one said anything, cause no one cared about the sexuality of the guy sitting beside them.

Anedoctal experiences do not speak for the experiences of all.

No I'm confused. You can change the colour of your hair, you cannot change your sexual orientation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Strange thread. How can anyone get embarassed by it? :confused:

My brother is gay. He loves to have a laugh and will go to the pride parade but 1 thing he hates with a passion is "Nancy queers dressed like morons giving the rest of us a bad name" - his words. He despises the Louis Spence's of the world because they're an embarrassment to what he is.

If a few guys turned up to the million man march dressed like cotton pickers and all tv coverage was of them, I'm sure the rest would be pretty embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

steve06 wrote: »
    "Nancy queers dressed like morons giving the rest of us a bad name" - his words. He despises the Louis Spence's of the world because they're an embarrassment to what he is.

There is room for us all at the parade, not matter how outlandish or boring we are. Using teh terms "nancy queers" perpetuates homophobia, which is exactly what we do not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

who really cares!? its like they are marching to say look we are the same as everyone else, which they are, but by marching they are being counter productive in their overall goal, if your the same as everyone else your the same, no need to go on a feckin song and dance about it...

i think to some gay people its a bigger deal to them than anyone else that they are gay! no one cares at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I don't care what they do as long as I don't get approached in a more than friendly way... :eek:

haha there was a gay pride festival on the weekend my friends and I went to Newcastle and my friends were chatted up by gay fellas in a club. I was roaring laughing (they are straight) but I'd feel very awkward if that was me!

Disclaimer : Don't go f*cking calling me homophobic now cuz I know someone will. I'd be the same around girls that I'm not attracted to if they made any advances!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I was talking about something else during the week with a co-worker..not about gay people. His response was sure we're all in a minority. I have grey hair, you're short etc. people will find something to label you for. Get over it.

I felt that way before too, but him saying it was kind of re-enforcement. My ex studied human sexuality and I helped her try and get participants at last years gay pride festival. Most people there were decent, others just like on Paddys Day were inappropriate.

Personally I think the Pride parades will do more harm than good. It re-enforces negative stereotypes and gives that minority of inappropriate people a spotlight to show off on which will ultimately damage the gay cause. Neil Patrick Harris, Ellen Degeneres, David Hyde etc.

Gay people have many good spokes people, get behind them and articulate your cause rather than make a holy show of yourselves.

Also I don't like seeing straight couples getting jiggy up against a wall or in public, same applies to gay couples which seemed to be a theme on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

steve06 wrote: »
    My brother is gay. He loves to have a laugh and will go to the pride parade but 1 thing he hates with a passion is "Nancy queers dressed like morons giving the rest of us a bad name" - his words. He despises the Louis Spence's of the world because they're an embarrassment to what he is.

If a few guys turned up to the million man march dressed like cotton pickers and all tv coverage was of them, I'm sure the rest would be pretty embarrassed.

That was the point of the "embarrassing" angle in the thread and the poll.

Also on a side note, this thread is not "Do You Agree With Gay Pride" so I'm asking both sides of that agrument to tone down the political aspect and keep the thread light hearted.

By the way the joke about Iran was funny and Apt, there should be 1 in Iran Pride on a whole will continue to happen where it can until there is a worldwide acceptance and equal status!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

diddlybit wrote: »
    There is room for us all at the parade, not matter how outlandish or boring we are. Using teh terms "nancy queers" perpetuates homophobia, which is exactly what we do not need.

homophobia, from a homosexual?
    yupyup7up wrote: »
    haha there was a gay pride festival on the weekend my friends and I went to Newcastle and my friends were chatted up by gay fellas in a club. I was roaring laughing (they are straight) but I'd feel very awkward if that was me!

Not all gay guys want to shag you... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I know two or three girls *Lesbians* who will probley be at the one in Dublin.

If they all want to have one day set aside to have a little celebration in there country then whats the harm its not like causing anyone else any hassle. Im very open minded person i usually have no problems with the gay lesbian community *I have had a few isolated issues with lesbians*

End of the day id have more respect and time for gay pride then i would for example bloody internationals womens day or similar ****e.

Enjoy it sure fook what anyone else thinks :pac: .

Advertisement