Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride - Embarrassing or Empowering?

Options
  • 23-06-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

This thread is inspired by a Dublin Radio show discussing this today, with the iniment Pride Parade happening on Saturday in Dublin, I would like to know boardsies, do you find the Pride Parade to be Embarrassing, Empowering, or Do you give a sh1t? do you all know what it REALLY stands for? not just an excuse for a small minority to get dressed up in silly clothes. I'm gonna post this exact same thread in LGBT so I can compare the answers as the Dublin radio station did say that there are some LGBT people who find it embarrassing.

So good people of AH let me know how you feel.

Pride Parde, Empowering or Embarassing? 378 votes

Empowering
    0% 1 vote
    Embarrassing
    20% 77 votes
    Don't Care
    39% 149 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    39% 151 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I feel this thread is not going to end well.

...But to answer your question, live and let live. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

It's a day where participants live up to the stereo types which the fight so hard to distance themselves from the other 364 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

why cant we have a straight pride parade???

i dont see why they must have a gay pride parade, there is not much anti homosexuality left in ireland anymore as far as i can, we are a very accepting bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Meh, dont care really, let people have a parade if they want. Its just a bit of fun, some gay people I know love it and some think its a cringefest to be avoided, everyone to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The thing I hate most about the LGBT parade is that it's full of gays and always gives me a semi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's doesn't bother me, not doing any harm to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

rochey84 wrote: »
    I'm gonna post this exact same thread in LGBT so I can compare the answers as the Dublin radio station did say that there are some LGBT people who find it embarrassing.

o/ :pac:

I think it's all a bit cringeworthy and counterproductive. I've nothing against people marching for marriage or equal civil rights or whatever...but marching because of pride? Nah, not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Tis a load of sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭rochey84

why cant we have a straight pride parade???

i dont see why they must have a gay pride parade, there is not much anti homosexuality left in ireland anymore as far as i can, we are a very accepting bunch.

Its about achieving equal status, as it stands, gay people cannot get Married, or adopt children in the eyes of the state, Gay Pride is initally about that! When straight people are treated like second class citizens then maybe there will be a straight pride parade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

The thing I love most about gay pride events it how much they piss off christian groups. Their reactions are just priceless. Like the one in Belfast where some people dressed up as Iris Robinson

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As a filthy heterosexual I don't really care, but I can understand why some LGBTs would find it embarrassing

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

tolosenc wrote: »
    It's a day where participants live up to the stereo types which the fight so hard to distance themselves from the other 364 days...
    Have to agree here. I know a lot of gay people and some of them feel the same, others just think it's a great excuse for a p!ss up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Couldn't care less in the nicest possible way. What people want to do in their lives is their call. I probably do feel for the people in the gay community that might feel that they are not represented by some of the stereotypical characterization but that's possibly the case for most people in society anyway:

Empowerment can be a totally personal and self-referential feeling (to a single person or a group) so what does my censure or approval matter anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Shirley Temple of Telly Bingo and a lot of other stereotypes on display

You get recognition and rights by lobbying and campaigns and using the vote.
    Farmers are experts on how you do it!

Not dressing up and making a fool of yourself in costumes and loud bright clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

The thing I don't like about bisexual pride is that they claim they "were born that way" yet also want to take "pride" in it as tho they actually made some effort to be bi.

I guess they just want it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's no more cringe than most of the Paddy's Day parades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

freaks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

Gays can do pretty much nearly anything they want these days.
    March if ye will, but no need for miniskirts and stupid PVC suits.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you are proud of it fine...fair play...but keep it to yourself.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, if you are proud of it fine...fair play...but keep it to yourself.

Maybe they should be forced to wear a pink star in public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

stovelid wrote: »

Ah, better times.

• Advertisement

I've known two people who took part in the parade (ever) who were gay.

I've known LOADS of people who took part in the parade (even just last time) who were 100% straight but did it because they think it makes them fashionable. And then talked about it all the time because they're just SOOO cool.

While I obviously have a very specific sample size, and the majority of people marching must be gay, personally I've lost any interest in it as it's been portrayed to me over the last year or two as a fashion statement rather than an appreciation of freedom of expression being celebrated by LBGT, which was why (as a straight girl) I liked the idea of it in the first place. When I first heard of it I thought it was a brilliant idea, and thought it must be a great way to encourage sexually confused people, or people scared of reaction to their sexuality out of "hiding". So while I'm glad it's held, I don't have the same respect for it that I first did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Camp concentration.

bonerm wrote: »
    Ah, better times.

Leave your cares behind .

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Why are people proud of their sexuality? It's not something they have achieved or worked for, especially in such a Western nation. I'm not proud of being straight, it's just who I am.

And no, I'm not intolerant or homophobic. I even have mates who are gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

tolosenc wrote: »

So... it's a bit like St. Patrick's Day then? :D

Redlion wrote: »
    Why are people proud of their sexuality? It's not something they have achieved or worked for, especially in such a Western nation. I'm not proud of being straight, it's just who I am.

Its not about being proud of your sexuality as such, its about being proud of looking for equal rights, or at least thats my opinion of it I could be wrong though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

Here comes the drama again :rolleyes:

Happens everytime there is a thread on this topic.

Like someone said, they want pride, yet they say they were born that way... Hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Here comes the drama again :rolleyes:

Happens everytime there is a thread on this topic.

Like someone said, they want pride, yet they say they were born that way... Hypocritical.

CoolGirl101, do you walk down the road any other day of the year holding hands or showing affection to your partner without fear of recrimination even if it might only come from a small minority of idiots?? if you do you're showing pride in your sexuality, the LGBT community only get 1 day a year when they can confidently walk down the road showing affection to their partner without fear of re-crimination. Yes we were born LGBT so why not take pride in the diversity of our differences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Redlion wrote: »

Do you get bullied because you are straight? Are you suicidal because of that bullying? Have you been physically assaulted because you are straight? Has society deemed your relationships (upto now) unworthy of recognition? Do you fear coming out as straight? at home? in the workplace? in school? Do you feel that you can't discuss your private (straight) life because someone might be judgemental? Have you been kicked out of home by your parents because you came out as straight? Does the law treat you in many ways as a 2nd class citizen because you are straight? Do you fear walking down the street in certain areas with you partner?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement