Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Well me being me, I want a proper job done so I'm guessing in the region of €400-500. I'm not sure though, haven't even priced it yet.

Dont think it would be that much, but I'd say a decent job would cost in the region of 300/350 tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

For a black bonnet?

Me arse! You'd spray the whole front for that, lol.

Yeah, but you're thinking in Limerick Man money! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Like I said, I haven't priced it but I kept 500 in my head as a guide. Anything less would have been a bonus :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just spent ages detaring my wheels, still not done, kind of just gave up. Going to give the whole thing a proper wash tomorrow provided this nice weather holds up.

Just spent ages detaring my wheels, still not done, kind of just gave up. Going to give the whole thing a proper wash tomorrow provided this nice weather holds up.

What are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Well me being me, I want a proper job done so I'm guessing in the region of €400-500. I'm not sure though, haven't even priced it yet.

Just go get yourself some CF wrap off eBay and be done with it.Ardennes would easily oblige :p

Just go get yourself some CF wrap off eBay and be done with it.Ardennes would easily oblige :p

Hah you must think I'm not me at all :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What are you using?

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_844079_langId_-1_categoryId_212371

Not impressed with it at all. Waste of time. What do you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Use petrol in a spray can.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Paraffin works well.

• Advertisement

Ah lad, you may aswell have bought a tub of Avonmore fresh cream!!

What I use on wheels when they're off the car is Holts Tar remover. It sprays on as a gel and gets to work straight away. Be warned though, it's fairly messy and you will need to clean your wheels well afterwards.

It makes tar removal 10 times easier than anything else I've tried on alloys but I've changed to Orchard Tar Cleanse for the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Use Tardis. Cleancar.ie are doing it in a small spray bottle for €6. Literally melts off in front of your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Slowest job of the lot.

Often spent 4~5 hours doing my wheels :o

vectra wrote: »
    Slowest job of the lot.

Often spent 4~5 hours doing my wheels :o

All the wheels were pretty bad, ah sure I wasn't doing anything else so gave it a go. Front wheels are a pain though, covered in the stuff, the rears came up well enough. Have to give it a go tomorrow again!

Cheers for all the suggestions, gonna have to go and spend more hard earned cash:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

painted my calipers.
    before
    2012-05-2104-34-00-814.jpg
    during
    2012-05-2104-42-19-131.jpg
    after
    2012-05-2104-48-06-118.jpg

how to guide
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056647260

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Just the sides left to do as the difficult part the the rest should be easy...engine cover and sides have some heavy clearcoar scratchings. Probably have to revisit
    parts here and there but delighted with the difference..my mate asked did I get the bumper sprayed!

Panels clayed and DA'ed with Menzerna PF2500 PO203S

General

BEFORE:

img0954k.jpg

img0968i.jpg

AFTER:

img0975f.jpg

More!

BEFORE:

img0985ou.jpg

AFTER:

img0986oi.jpg

img0989vs.jpg

img0987qo.jpg

Centre panel:

BEFORE:

img1002e.jpg

AFTER:

img1004gl.jpg

BEFORE:

img0998vnm.jpg

AFTER:

img1010g.jpg

END RESULTS:

img0992ir.jpg

img1011yp.jpg

img1012u.jpg

Needs a good wash believe it or not!

img1016n.jpg

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Disappointed with the lack of a beading photo Erin... I'd say the beading is fair unreal laaaaaaaaaaadddddd...:pac:

Amazing work though!

Make sure you get tar remover and meguiars metal polish at those exhaust tips!

I'm having a bit of trouble getting scratches off mine at the moment. I started round 2 this evening and Im thinking menzerna is due into the mix.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting scratches off mine at the moment. I started round 2 this evening and Im thinking menzerna is due into the mix.

Do you moonlight as a meguiars salesman :pac:

I shined up the exhaust before with coke and tinfoil...it was a fair improvement...it shall be done as finishing touches :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Finally got the bonnet done á la Stewie's Bora post on DW. I took the kidneys off almost as soon as I got it.

Some shnaps: -

- build up the paint (bit sloppy)

step1.jpg

- 3M finesse it stick with 9 micron sanding paper
    step2.jpg

- post sanding. Started to get worried here
    step3.jpg

- measles. Looks terrible. Very worried.
    step4.jpg

step5.jpg

- DA with Sonus 1. Phew.
    step6.jpg

step7.jpg

step8.jpg

- on with the Svisswax
    step9.jpg

- new Roundel and back on with the decco's
    step10.jpg

step11.jpg

- cleaned the carpets too. APC heaven. Had already cleaned and nourished the leather.
    step12.jpg

step13.jpg

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

As per the 'keep her or the 8' chat, this machine is going on the market. In good shape both body and mechanics.

Bonnet came up very well I think.

edit: - Just to mention, I used Sonus 1 through 4 then the wax.

edit2: - I'd question the quality of the paint from paints4u.com Didn't seem to match perfectly but it might be down to the clearcoat delete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I shined up the exhaust before with coke and tinfoil...it was a fair improvement...it shall be done as finishing touches :cool:

I sure hope your reffering to the bottled variety. :p

Lol! If im going to suggest something, i have to know that you'll be very happy with the results. That's why I mainly suggest meguiars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Autosol is the shniz I believe. Will be getting some.

I sure hope your reffering to the bottled variety. :p

nah man, the white stuff is great for removing tough stains off the exhaust..

sure see how well it worked on Daniella Westbrooks nose :p

daniella+westbrook.png

Lol! If im going to suggest something, i have to know that you'll be very happy with the results. That's why I mainly suggest meguiars :D

I tried tardis as tar remover, impressed I didn't have to drain the local reservoir like the holts stuff.

+1 on the autosol stuff heard good things on that

I tried tardis as tar remover, impressed I didn't have to drain the local reservoir like the holts stuff.

+1 on the autosol stuff heard good things on that

Yeah Holts leaves a bit of a mess but the product works so I'm not fibbing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The exhaust tips on the jaaaag are a bit dull, what's the best thing to get the build up of stuff off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

some wire wool followed by autosol works wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wire wool ok on chrome?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The exhaust tips on the jaaaag are a bit dull, what's the best thing to get the build up of stuff off?

A bowl of coke...the cola variety :) and some balled up tinfoil...it works!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement