Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

not 100% sure of that.. maybe try it on a bit thats not seen first just to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wire wool ok on chrome?

fine wire wool is perfik

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Brillo pad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Brillo pad?

I'd imagine a brillo pad would scratch it but I'm not sure. I washed mine twice then used Autosol on it and it worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cool, will give it a go tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Did the same speedo rings mod as Alan on my e46 today. It's amazing what a simple thing will do to lift the interior of a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Owen wrote: »
    Did the same speedo rings mod as Alan on my e46 today. It's amazing what a simple thing will do to lift the interior of a car.

How exactly do you do that?

Also before and after pictures :p

Go back a few pages and you'll see Alan's before and after photos. There's how to's all over google. Well chuffed with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

today booked nct for my toyota avensis... only july month available... big q seems to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

OSI wrote: »
    Where did you book? I keep hearing people say there are queues, but got appointments for both cars within a couple of weeks of me booking them in Dublin, 1 in Northpoint 2 and one in Fonthill.

The GTI is up for her first NCT this Saturday (gonna be emotional). It's not actually due till October, but thought I'd get it out of the way while it was still relatively fresh from the last service and enjoy knowing it's due again for another 30 months.

Will have to spend the rest of the week getting it spotless :D

Northpoint 2 , 11 july... couldnt get any in june, car anyway not ready for it yet, but by the time nct, shall be fine. need to do some bits and boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Northpoint 2 , 11 july... couldnt get any in june, car anyway not ready for it yet, but by the time nct, shall be fine. need to do some bits and boobs.
    :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Go back a few pages and you'll see Alan's before and after photos. There's how to's all over google. Well chuffed with it!

It's great isn't it? Took me about 10 minutes all in, it's a bit fiddly, but nothing major. I coloured my needles red too, I take it you left them stock?

I'm actually tempted to change the LEDs to white, but I'd be worried my soldering skills wouldn't be up to the task. It definitely makes them look a lot better though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Things that come back to bite you in the ass:
    Did the timing belt on the MX5 a while back and thought to myself: "Sure that waterpump is grand, no need to change it along with the timing belt, it'll never give you any trouble"
    So today it crapped out on her and deposited a large amount of coolant on the drive.
    So out with the rad, off with the rocker cover, off with the timing belt, undo the alternator, undo the power steering pump and a thousand other ancillaries. Hours of fun!
    Here's where things are at the moment:

205806.jpg

I saw the trick with the two spanners on a Youtube How To. Very nifty if you don't have the appropriate Mazda tool.
    This will have to hold both cams at TDC till tomorrow, because my blue goo sealant had congealed into a blue blob. And I need a paper gasket, or at least some gasket paper.
    And a bit of coolant would be handy too...

Well, today the conclusion (almost):

After working on it on Sunday for 7 hours and Monday for 8 hours (fighting me all the way), I finally had it back together again.
    Turned it over, fine. Started it, engine sounding like a rubbish compactor full of teaspoons.
    Panic, but all was not lost. I forgot to tighten the nuts on the waterpump pulley.
    Ever hear that chatup-line "Baby, your eyes are like spanners, every time I look into them, my nuts tighten"
    Started her again, all was well, bled the system, all fine, but it still overheated on her.
    No leaks, coolant level fine, but that rad is looking a bit cruddy. A new one is on the cards.
    Anyway, here she is in all her glory:

206040.jpg

Apologies for the crappy pictures, all I have is a phone for taking pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

Mar4ix wrote: »
    today booked nct for my toyota avensis... only july month available... big q seems to be.

Only booked mine earlier and got it for next week down in arklow

I made this, I dont know exactly what to call it. But I drilled a hole in homers head and sliped a steel ring into his head. he now hangs from the back of the car.

Homerthingy.jpg?t=1337776765

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

^ LOL :D

^ LOL :D

Hahaha, You a simpsons fan?

But it needs a slight tweeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That made me laugh BW haha, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Wire up voice control for the RNS 510 so it works with a third party microphone (dension gateway).

Not sure it was worth the hassle...seems easier to use the buttons!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Hahaha, You a simpsons fan?

But it needs a slight tweeking.

Not really but it's still funny as hell!

It's great isn't it? Took me about 10 minutes all in, it's a bit fiddly, but nothing major. I coloured my needles red too, I take it you left them stock?

I'm actually tempted to change the LEDs to white, but I'd be worried my soldering skills wouldn't be up to the task. It definitely makes them look a lot better though.

Left mine stock alright, and even though on my MINI I replaced all the LEDs to a different colour combo, I'm really inclined in the e46 to leave everything amber. I just like the glow inside, especially the cascade light in the headliner that bathes your gearstick/shifting hand with orange light at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I just like the glow inside, especially the cascade light in the headliner that bathes your gearstick/shifting hand with orange light at night time.

It's the little things! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I made this, I dont know exactly what to call it. But I drilled a hole in homers head and sliped a steel ring into his head. he now hangs from the back of the car.

Saw something similar the other day. I thought a dog would go for it!

I had no dog problems yet with it, but I stoped at a petrol station today and there was nackers sitting outside the shop smoking fags and drinking red bull. Once I filled my petrol I then went into pay for the petrol. I came out and to my horror, one of them nackers had homer stuck up the exhaust. :eek::( I pull him out and when got home, cleaned him off and hes ready for some more road trips. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Once I filled my petrol I then went into pay for the petrol.

Like a good solid citizen eh? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Homerthingy.jpg?t=1337776765

Pic's not showing for me? :(

Edit: It is now? DAFUG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I had no dog problems yet with it, but I stoped at a petrol station today and there was nackers sitting outside the shop smoking fags and drinking red bull. Once I filled my petrol I then went into pay for the petrol. I came out and to my horror, one of them nackers had homer stuck up the exhaust. :eek::( I pull him out and when got home, cleaned him off and hes ready for some more road trips. :)

Bastard!
    Hope homer wasn't too traumatised!! :eek:
    Are you going to the next meet bubble wrap?
    Would be cool to see homer and my old white fluffy dice in the flesh lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

CianRyan wrote: »
    DAFUG?
    JDM Yo

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    Like a good solid citizen eh? :pac:

Has to be done. :D
    gollywog wrote: »
    Bastard!
    Hope homer wasn't too traumatised!! :eek:
    Are you going to the next meet bubble wrap?
    Would be cool to see homer and my old white fluffy dice in the flesh lol!!

Ah, no he wasnt to bad tbh. Just abit dirty from the exhaust.

Il have to see, Like I would have to go to longford and down then, as the ould yaris wouldent be fit for the motorway and Im still on the LP, but Im planing on going for the drivers test soon enough. (Im egar to get the full licence.) So we will just have to see what the future hold.. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement