Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Lovely job Jen! Good to see you weren't lazy by painting the pads :D

DId you use hammerite? See that ring of rusty water on the inside of the alloy? I had that too and it was fierce annoying :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Hammerite doesn't come in red - I used Tri...eh...tri...something. I've been staring at the tin all day, think I'd remember it. They might need another coat.

Also, it's just dirt and tar, not rust as such. I'm sure if I was arsed, I'd clean 'em up properly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Trimite I'd say. Made in naas.

jenizzle wrote: »
    Hammerite doesn't come in red - I used Tri...eh...tri...something. I've been staring at the tin all day, think I'd remember it. They might need another coat.

Also, it's just dirt and tar, not rust as such. I'm sure if I was arsed, I'd clean 'em up properly :D

Nope, that ring is rust that comes off the brake discs when they get wet ;)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Trimite I'd say. Made in naas.

.. or TriFlow :):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Dropped the Porsche Turbo up to Nissan Doc. Praying its not going to need a engine rebuild!!!

Sure an engine rebuild is easy, there's lots of pics on the DIY forum, sure how hard could it be:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Dropped the Porsche Turbo up to Nissan Doc. Praying its not going to need a engine rebuild!!!

Took its for a quick test drive before I left this evening.....wow thats a lot of smoke:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

Took its for a quick test drive before I left this evening.....wow thats a lot of smoke:eek:

What turbo is it? 996, 993?

Was with my Dad a few years back and heading up to Kirkistown for some racing. we were in his newly bought 930 Turbo. At some stage on the M1 looked back and noticed we were billowing lots of smoke out the back. Pulled in, analysed the situation and decided we would keep going.

Pulled in and topped up the oil in Belfast. Went racing and drove all the way home.

My Dad already planned on an Engine rebuild, as I think there were a few issues so it wasn't the end of the world.

When he was rebuilding the engine anyway, it turned out that it had burst a piston and rings. Along the side of the piston there was a decent sized hole and dents in the piston from the metal fragments bouncing off it.

It's gas thinking back, we drove up there parked up for 8 hours, it started again on the button and drove back down again not a bother on it. Old 911's I tell ya ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Timing belt on the 406. They forget to tell you to take the turbo pipes off to make the job go twice as fast!!! :rolleyes:

After getting this bastard off
    Image15610.jpg

I could finally get the belt off
    Image1525.jpg

Changing the tensioner meant the plunger and spring flew out
    Image15410.jpg

How I kept the tension off
    Image15510.jpg

And I didn't trust either the bolt or the pulley so I got another one of each :)
    Image15710.jpg

It's no different but my mind is at rest knowing the belt is done :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Love the way ya had to write turbo after Porsche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Cleaned it now taking it out for a spin to get it dirty again :)

n.jpg

Love the way ya had to write turbo after Porsche

Well I dropped my non-Turbo Porsche up to him last month :pac:
    I dropped the Bugatti up to get engine takin out gonna but it into a mini :)

Well I dropped my non-Turbo Porsche up to him last month :pac:

LIGHTNING isn't joking though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Why on earth would you do that? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sold the Touring on thursday. Wheels were handed off to the new owner yesterday.

Flying to Munich tomorrow to check out the next purchase. If all is well, I'll be driving that straight back home with a detour over Denmark.

/M

166man wrote: »

Why on earth would you do that? ;)
    Trying to see if mini can fly
    It's grand if it don't work il just order a new one should get it in two years the gt3 will have to do then while I wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Trying to see if mini can fly
    It's grand if it don't work il just order a new one should get it in two years the gt3 will have to do then while I wait :D

Fair enough. Lightning does own a Porsche ''Smokey'' Turbo though....:D

And a non turbo, non smokey Porsche.:D

And a non turbo, non smokey Porsche.:D
    Il race ya anytime I've a really quick mountain bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Took the M5 out for a spin yesterday to keep her in shape. Fook me it's mighty fast.

Finished the bonnet today. Looks good. Will post pics tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Sold the Touring on thursday. Wheels were handed off to the new owner yesterday.

Flying to Munich tomorrow to check out the next purchase. If all is well, I'll be driving that straight back home with a detour over Denmark.

/M

Are you going back to see your family?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Are you going back to see your family?

Yeah. And there's a danish VW camp weekend on Sealand also, that I might go over to.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Bollixed!! Spent a good part of today doing the rear bumper and MR2 centre panel (in between lights)

I'll leave it for today for going through pics...but like all other panels on the car. It wasn't in the best of nick.

On the homerun now, not too long much left before its finished. Noticing a few bits here and there I will have to go back over.:cool:

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8830/rearex.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Things that come back to bite you in the ass:
    Did the timing belt on the MX5 a while back and thought to myself: "Sure that waterpump is grand, no need to change it along with the timing belt, it'll never give you any trouble"
    So today it crapped out on her and deposited a large amount of coolant on the drive.
    So out with the rad, off with the rocker cover, off with the timing belt, undo the alternator, undo the power steering pump and a thousand other ancillaries. Hours of fun!
    Here's where things are at the moment:

205806.jpg

205807.jpg

I saw the trick with the two spanners on a Youtube How To. Very nifty if you don't have the appropriate Mazda tool.
    This will have to hold both cams at TDC till tomorrow, because my blue goo sealant had congealed into a blue blob. And I need a paper gasket, or at least some gasket paper.
    And a bit of coolant would be handy too...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

That is tidy man!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Gave the engine a 30 minute makeover with APC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

^ What did you dress it up with after wash? Looks good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement