Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Touch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hey Danny, Thanks for all the good work.

The issue with following a link from an email notification is really beginning to bug me - to the extent that I rarely follow the links anymore. Then my notifications get all screwed up...
    When you follow a link from an email, it brings you to the beginning of the thread, rather than the latest current post...

Are you any closer to resolving this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

This relies on "goto=newpost" functionality, see a few posts above your own - it's not slated for release any time soon I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I searched this thread for "pm" but couldn't find anything.

Is it possible to leave the previous pm in your reply or would that be a lot of work for you guys? Its just I'm a little forgetful and its handy to see the whole conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Just noticed I can't see polls on touch boards. I'm on a windows phone, my boyfriend is on android and it's the same on both phones.

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Just noticed I can't see polls on touch boards. I'm on a windows phone, my boyfriend is on android and it's the same on both phones.

Touch is not platform specific, if it's not there on Android it won't be there for iPhone, Windows or with a plain old browser pointed at touch.boards.ie

This is on our to-do list and will be rolled out in the new year, probably in stages (e.g. viewing existing polls first, then adding your vote to an existing poll, and then finally the ability to make your own poll).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Is it intended functionality that using the quote feature on the touch version includes recursive quotes? It doesn't happen in the full site.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Did touch puke tonight? Several times it went weird and threw me back to the desktop site. Android on Gingerbread HTC desire.

Tonight, as in right now? Or earlier, as in around 6pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Tonight, as in right now? Or earlier, as in around 6pm?

About three mins before I posted that. Went to thank two posts in feedback and it started doing it.

MugMugs wrote: »
    About three mins before I posted that. Went to thank two posts in feedback and it started doing it.

Working grand on my Android (HTC Desire Z with Gingerbread ROM). You might try another browser like Opera Mini?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can you set the TITLE tags to the thread title please? It'd make saving to social bookmarking sites a lot more intuitive/easier.

dahamsta wrote: »
    Can you set the TITLE tags to the thread title please? It'd make saving to social bookmarking sites a lot more intuitive/easier.

Will get back to you on this later :)

Thanks Danny. I do have one other thing to point out -- because of the speed at which you get new posts here, pages 2-7 of Latest Threads can be pretty much redundant, by the time you've clicked through to the next page, you're looking at the same threads. I'm not sure how you'd improve it without something like per-user caching, but I said I'd mention it.

Out of interest, did ye develop this from scratch or fork it from the vB mobile template, or perhaps the one from vb.org? And is the style jQuery UI Mobile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Out of interest, did ye develop this from scratch or fork it from the vB mobile template, or perhaps the one from vb.org? And is the style jQuery UI Mobile?
    the touch site of boards was developed and designed in house using our API which does the interaction with our copy of vBulletin. None of the front end has any ties to vbulletin or vb.org

Ta. Another thing: Some external links are wonkified, at least on my Android handset. Par example, clicking the first link on the 1st post here:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056101996

...brings me to...

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/www.Qwertee.com

I'm guessing it's just links posted without the protocol prefix not being updated on the fly as in vB, but I can't look at the source here.

Ta. Another thing: Some external links are wonkified, at least on my Android handset. Par example, clicking the first link on the 1st post here:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056101996

...brings me to...

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/www.Qwertee.com

I'm guessing it's just links posted without the protocol prefix not being updated on the fly as in vB, but I can't look at the source here.

From Chrome:

<a href="www.Qwertee.com" class="bbcode_url">www.Qwertee.com</a>

Requires moar digging, not working in a full browser either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is there any way to set up a link directly to the full version of the site? E.g., have two bookmarks, one which goes to touch.boards.ie, the other goes to www.boards.ie. If you just set up the second one as boards.ie, it redirects to whichever site your last visit was to.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

alwaysadub wrote: »

Polls are now available on http://touch.boards.ie

have a gander at this for an example.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76761921

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm only starting to use the touch version of Boards, and I really dislike the amount of adverts. The original mobile version doesn't have it as bad.

But one thing I suggested and was implemented on the old mobile site was that the category and main forum links appear. So if I am in Waterford forum, it currently shows at the bottom and top "Waterford City". But it would be handy to have "Region > South East > Waterford City" instead.

I kinda hate sometimes when I click a thread I may end up in the middle of it rather than the end, and I have to scroll all the way down to the numbers to go to the last page. Can the numbers go on the top or a link to go straight to the bottom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Sully wrote: »
    I kinda hate sometimes when I click a thread I may end up in the middle of it rather than the end, and I have to scroll all the way down to the numbers to go to the last page. Can the numbers go on the top or a link to go straight to the bottom?

if you click on the little arrow off to the right sully instead of clicking on the thread title, it takes you to the last post in the thread... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

xsiborg wrote: »
    if you click on the little arrow off to the right sully instead of clicking on the thread title, it takes you to the last post in the thread... :)

Ah brilliant. While I have you - don't suppose you know is there anyway I can change the amount of posts that show per page?! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, you can't change the number of posts per page like on the main site.

Ah brilliant. While I have you - don't suppose you know is there anyway I can change the amount of posts that show per page?! :P
    No, you can't change the number of posts per page like on the main site.

just like SP says there sully, i'd imagine it has something to do with page loading times and what not as i'd say they were thinking about people accessing the touch site on a mobile data connection, although it would be a good feature request suggestion!

a prime example this evening was the speed at which i could browse the touch site with a galaxy s+ versus a nokia x6 with the same wifi connection, galaxy was nice and fast, nokia x6 was what i now realise is an awful long time for a page to load! :(

I thought m.boards.ie had more posts per page than the touch tbh. Maybe im wrong!

I thought m.boards.ie had more posts per page than the touch tbh. Maybe im wrong!

i havent been on m.boards myself in a while, but i imagine they could do that because there was less throughput of data given that it was more text based as opposed to how graphics intensive the touch site is, plus navigating on the m.boards on a touch phone is a nightmare! :(

xsiborg wrote: »
    i havent been on m.boards myself in a while, but i imagine they could do that because there was less throughput of data given that it was more text based as opposed to how graphics intensive the touch site is, plus navigating on the m.boards on a touch phone is a nightmare! :(

Iv been doing it for a while, its not to bad I found especially with Google Chrome. As the text is small, when clicking links which are side by side google zooms in and lets you select then.

Iv been doing it for a while, its not to bad I found especially with Google Chrome. As the text is small, when clicking links which are side by side google zooms in and lets you select then.

*curses nokia browser an opera for their useless zoom functionality* :D

even browsing the full site on the galaxy s+ there earlier with the built in browser (is that chrome mobile?), it was a breeze, then went back to opera, slow as... well, you get the idea... :D

Chrome is only available on Android 4, at least that's the case on my SII. Much nicer than the stock browser.

For years though, I used the mobile site on my Nokia mobile. E71. Its a great development as is the touch, but the extra adds are annoying (though I know why they are needed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Should there be a pop up when a new PM is received? I'm not getting one

On iPhone 4s

• Advertisement

Slidey wrote: »
    Should there be a pop up when a new PM is received? I'm not getting one

On iPhone 4s

far as i know slidey that's a feature request that has yet to be implemented on the touch site, it does pop up though if you're browsing the full site on mobile.

i think the site devs said it would be included in the next iteration of boards touch though.

@sully, the samsung galaxy S plus isnt officially getting ice cream sandwich, and there's no official cyanogenmod 9 rom available for it, im just waiting til the unofficial port is perfected before i install it so im stuck with the stock gingerbread samsung rom for now... :(

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement