Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Touch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Any chance of just making the full site work better on the iPad instead? Spoiler tags are the main problem for me, everything else is okay.

The full site will be getting an overhaul in the future. It's in the queue behind the iOS and Android native apps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Conor wrote: »
    Any chance of just making the full site work better on the iPad instead? Spoiler tags are the main problem for me, everything else is okay.

The full site will be getting an overhaul in the future. It's in the queue behind the iOS and Android native apps.
    Cool. In the meantime, a small suggestion for the touch site: a "reply to all" button for PMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Awesome job lads! Looking well!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

The title of each page is boards.ie as opposed to the name of the forum or thread. This makes my browser history a bit difficult to use. Otherwise the site is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

Couple of things, first of all a preview button is a necessity.

Secondly and I know this has been brought up earlier but when I get an email of an update it still brings me to the start of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Hi. Few things - long threads, cant get to the end easily. Needs a first page, last page button. Would be nice if auto last post. Also auto see thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

So now when I click a link from a boards notification email it takes me directly to the 'touch' site on my phone.

It would be great if it would bring you to the last read post, rather than the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

It's interesting, might take some time to get use to. Have noticed a couple of forums where the whole first page is just stickies (accomadation and property for example) which is annoying and it's also not clear if a thread is locked when your looking at a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Ross wrote: »
    One problem I've encountered: it's not bringing me to the latest post. When I tap on a thread it brings me to the first page of that thread and I have to scroll to the end and tap on the last page and scroll to the end again, which is very awkward. Should it be remembering where I last was on the thread? If not, is there an easier way to get to the latest post?
    There we go, first bug! Fixed, thanks!
    Baza210 wrote: »
    In-line ads is asking a bit much, imo.
    It's gotta be paid for somehow dude. As I've mentioned, subscribers have the option of removing ads if they wish.
    Not fixed on this device!

Any way to set it so it uses the regular method?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Think I've spotted a bug in the latest posts section; some threads are appearing twice in the list rather than just the once - unless it's supposed to be that way but I don't think that's how it works on the main site.

When I say twice btw I dont mean directly following each other but interspersed with other threads by time of post. The threads i saw were from AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Just as a matter of interest, how long did it take to develop this 'touch' site?

As i've leaned from my ongoing CS degree, something like this looks simple to make...then takes weeks and weeks of hard work to actually develop :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Conor wrote: »
    I dunno, I like it. The main site used to annoy me on the iPad. My fingers aren't that pudgy but I was constantly having to zoom to get the taps in the right places.

Are there are any particular changes which would make touch better for you on the iPad?

I much prefer using the beta theme on the iPad, even if I have to zoom in to press links occasionally.

I don't know if it's a good idea to try and optimise the same theme for devices that can vary so much in screen size:

193420-ipad_iphone_350.jpg

Just as a matter of interest, how long did it take to develop this 'touch' site?

As i've leaned from my ongoing CS degree, something like this looks simple to make...then takes weeks and weeks of hard work to actually develop :P

I don't know quite how long it took to design it, elapsed time was about 12 weeks but that was mostly because the two people who did most of the work on the design weren't working on it full time.

Coding started around the end of April/start of May and it took about 5 weeks of work to make the UI and about 6 weeks of work to extend the API to support the UI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sticking with the original mobile site, don't like the touch version at all and ads are a major turn off.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Will you be keeping M.boards.ie active?

Will you be keeping M.boards.ie active?

For the foreseeable future, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Tonight has not been fun.

The first time I used the site in anger I was logged out of my user account for over five hours. Tried everything, even a full password reset. Nothing. Every time I put in the correct details the login page refreshed. Over and over and over.

My account mysteriously resurrected itself after midnight, but by then me and two other boardsies had missed the Beers :(

Coincidentally I am also unable to skip to the last post, threads always start from the very first post. That bugfix might not be working on Froyo...

At least I have an Edit button! :p

Edit - now I'm logged in threads start a few pages from the end rather than right at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

JohnK wrote: »
    Think I've spotted a bug in the latest posts section; some threads are appearing twice in the list rather than just the once - unless it's supposed to be that way but I don't think that's how it works on the main site.

When I say twice btw I dont mean directly following each other but interspersed with other threads by time of post. The threads i saw were from AH.

This is probably the only thing I dont like. Each one is for a different reply so if it's a busy thread it will come up over and over. It really clogs up the latest posts. You're only seeing a fraction of updated threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ross wrote: »
    Howdy all,

This isn't being "officially" announced until tomorrow (although obviously as soon as I've posted this it's kinda moot), we've got a new version of the site built with touch enabled devices in mind (smartphones like iPhones and Android phones mostly, but works pretty well on a tablet too!).

We've only just finished development on this, so I'm hoping anyone who reads this forum will be able to help flush out any major bugs before the masses get to it :)

At the moment we're not doing any magical redirects, so to access the site visit http://touch.boards.ie.

Hope you like it!

I'm on a 5'' tablet using Android and there's a 30-40 sec lag loading and replying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Firstly, I like it. It's now my homepage on my HTC Desire, good work.

One thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned here is that I can't see the subject of replies.

Example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72995200&postcount=2

I can see the subjects of threads OK, but no subject on individual posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Fair play with the touch idea; works great!

Not sure if it's been already mentioned but would like to have the "mark forum read" feature included if possible?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

hardCopy wrote: »

One thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned here is that I can't see the subject of replies.

Is it necessary though? Most people don't enter anything for the title when they are replying to a thread, except maybe new users. It's only when threads have been merged that you tend to see it over replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

hardCopy wrote: »

Is it necessary though? Most people don't enter anything for the title when they are replying to a thread, except maybe new users. It's only when threads have been merged that you tend to see it over replies.

It's not hugely popular but you lose context reading posts that do have a title.

The "Easy on the eye thread" in The Gentleman's Club is one example where post titles are frequently used.

Why have a post title feature if it's invisible to a large portion of users?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Android:

I threw together an app using http://www.appsgeyser.com/. It's basically just a dedicated browser set up for the site. The difference being, you get a boards.ie icon and the address bar etc is removed, so you can't browse away from the site. I am using it at the moment and it seems to be working fine. There are some extra adds included by default from the appsgeyser site. Nothing can be done about that unless it was built from scratch and I don't have the skills to do that so...

I can share unless that would be inappropriate. Mods / Devs care to comment? I believe an app is in the works, but this could be a stop gap for people..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I've got to be honest I'm struggling a bit on the iphone with it. I was so used to browsing and moderating with the full version. It doesn't look like I can moderate with touchboards on my iphone. Can someone point me in the right direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Apart from the character bug(http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056312896) and touch.boards.ie being quite a bit slower to load then m.boards.ie its headed in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Mod viewable only post -- posted this from touch.boards if I'm right, any reason why all my apostrophes came out that way? or is that nowt to do with the touch.boards part

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

bbability wrote: »
    I've got to be honest I'm struggling a bit on the iphone with it. I was so used to browsing and moderating with the full version. It doesn't look like I can moderate with touchboards on my iphone. Can someone point me in the right direction?

As above. I find it frustrating having to jump out of touch. into www. or even m. to take care of mod stuff. Even an edit/delete option for posts would be handy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Can pinch and zoom be enabled? Viewing text is fine, but you can't zoom in on images that have been scaled down.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement