Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Touch

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Thanks guys, we'll look into it as soon as we can

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

261380.png

Forgot to include this with an earlier post, so here it is for anyone who may have wondered what 'poetic prose' I was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Lads the new Adverts advertisements are very distracting the way they change from orange to grey, is there anything can be done just to make them a static advertisement?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Slidey wrote: »
    I know I have asked before and I dont really mean to harp on about it but the link to the last viewed post in a thread gets all funny if you havent viewed a thread in a while. You end up at the first page and have to click last page and work your way back which isn't that easy on touch.

As I post from the touch site 90% of the time this is a proper PITA.

Any idea if this is going to be addressed?
    Just came in to ask about this. It's very annoying. Seems to happen with threads I haven't read in 2 weeks or longer. Is this something that can be resolved?

Most likely threads you've not read in 10 days since that's our marking limit. I'm going to verify and find out what the standard behaviour for this situation is

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, the 10 day thing is annoying. The main site remembers forever. Is there reason why the Touch site needs a limit?

Yeah, the 10 day thing is annoying. The main site remembers forever. Is there reason why the Touch site needs a limit?

The main site does not remember forever, it also remembers for 10 days. I'm trying to find out what the main site does in the event that we don't have a thread read/forum read time for a user - what does it use then? Because our API resorts to the first post of the thread, and that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Most likely threads you've not read in 10 days since that's our marking limit. I'm going to verify and find out what the standard behaviour for this situation is

Danny is there any chance you could have a word with the people responsible for the adverts.ie advertisements that when you accidentally click on them they turn into a massive hand that leaves you having to scroll way up or down the screen to see where you are. Very disconcerting tbh, let alone the fact these adverts are animated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The main site remembers for more than 10 days for me. Unless you are talking about something different.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The main site does not remember forever, it also remembers for 10 days. I'm trying to find out what the main site does in the event that we don't have a thread read/forum read time for a user - what does it use then? Because our API resorts to the first post of the thread, and that's the problem.

The main site always takes me to the last read post whether it's been two days or two years since I opened the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Now that I think about it even if I haven't read the thread before I think the main site still takes me to the new posts but the first new post. E.g. if poster a bumps a one year old thread I've never seen before and ten different people post after poster a then I get taken to poster a post if I click the take me to the last unread post. I could be wrong but I think that's how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

*Bump*

I've noticed today that my phone (iPhone 4) keeps switching back to the touch site when I open links from notification e-mails, even when I choose the full site link. Has anything changed or is it just me?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Every time I post to a thread this evening I get that 404 (I think) page with the rhyme on it. The post does get through, I just don't get linked back to the thread.

Edit except for this time :) when I got brought back to the thread but my post wasn't showing.

Oryx wrote: »
    Every time I post to a thread this evening I get that 404 (I think) page with the rhyme on it. The post does get through, I just don't get linked back to the thread.

Edit except for this time :) when I got brought back to the thread but m y post wasn't showing.
    I raised this matter at end of June :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Karsini wrote: »
    I've noticed today that my phone (iPhone 4) keeps switching back to the touch site when I open links from notification e-mails, even when I choose the full site link. Has anything changed or is it just me?

We use a combination of cookies and UA detection to define what subdomain we direct users to. Would you mind opening a new thread in Site Dev if you think it's not working correctly and we'll take a look into it, thanks.
    Oryx wrote: »

Edit except for this time :) when I got brought back to the thread but my post wasn't showing.

Good chance this is related to db replication lag, something we've been actively working on the past few days. Would you mind starting a new thread and I'll get some details, just to ensure it's related. Cheers!
    Auld-Yin wrote: »
    I raised this matter at end of June :(

Danny responded to you around 14 minutes after that post asking you to create a new thread in site dev, with link details if possible, which you failed to do. Instead you continued to post details on thread, finally closing correspondence after providing working links with "C'est la vie" ?

If you've any further information that you think could help track this issue down can you please start a new thread in site dev, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Slidey wrote: »
    *Bump*

Danny's no longer with us unfortunately, would you mind opening a new thread in site dev detailing the issue if possible please.

I can pick it up from previous posts in this thread, but makes it easier for me to get the details I require to take a better look into it if we've a dedicated thread.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Danny's no longer with us unfortunately, would you mind opening a new thread in site dev detailing the issue if possible please.

I can pick it up from previous posts in this thread, but makes it easier for me to get the details I require to take a better look into it if we've a dedicated thread.

Thanks, much appreciated.

I've started it and I've figured out why the error actually is.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86231875#post86231875

Touch is going nowhere and it's very much active. It is no longer in beta though, so bug reports tend to get their own thread. Next time you reach a 404 page from my threads please post the link you received the 404 on to this thread (or start a new one if you prefer) and we'll do our best to get to the bottom of the problem.
    Danny
    Danny responded to you around 14 minutes after that post asking you to create a new thread in site dev, with link details if possible, which you failed to do. Instead you continued to post details on thread, finally closing correspondence after providing working links with "C'est la vie" ?

If you've any further information that you think could help track this issue down can you please start a new thread in site dev, thanks.
    Sorry; possibly a bit of misunderstanding or misreading of Danny's post, esp. "Next time you reach a 404 page from my threads please post the link you received the 404 on to this thread ...".
    I posted to this thread!
    Will do a new thread and paste the relevant posts.
    If "C'est la vie" terminated correspondence, it was not intended that way. It was a follow-up to:
    There's no 404 there for me :confused:

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

two things could a home button be added to the end of a thread so when your finished reading a thread and you want to go to the man page you don't have to scroll to the top to do this.

also a link to the main forum so say your browsing on of the motors sub forums the only way to get to motors is to type it into the search bar or to go to the homage and see if a motors related topic is on the homage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

shanec1928 wrote: »
    two things could a home button be added to the end of a thread so when your finished reading a thread and you want to go to the man page you don't have to scroll to the top to do this.

also a link to the main forum so say your browsing on of the motors sub forums the only way to get to motors is to type it into the search bar or to go to the homage and see if a motors related topic is on the homage.
    tap the link that read "copyright Boards.ie 2014..."

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement