Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Touch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I've just logged on now and been greeted by this-

Scr000007_1.jpg

Now I can understand the need to advertise, but this is, well it's inconvenient and obtrusive tbh, especially when screen real estate is at a premium on a small screen (Nokia N8).

Is there no way this could be sized down at least?

OT but it's all the more annoying given I'm not on android, and there IS no symbian based apps developed by daft media (adverts touch does me just fine!), so I can't even get rid of it by clicking on it just for the sake of trying to get rid of it!

PS: It doesn't show up on the native Nokia browser but I'd sooner use Opera Mobile as the native Nokia browser is just pants!

EDIT: It seems to have disappeared now, but just for reference, this OP was made about an hour ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

The advertisements are picked at random from our ad server which is why it doesn't always show up.

I see nothing wrong with the content size, it is the same height as a thread block. If you want to disable ads we have that option available for subscribers.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Danny, for Boards to make money from an ad, does it have to be clicked or just shown or how does it work?

Danny, for Boards to make money from an ad, does it have to be clicked or just shown or how does it work?

I'm not the money man or anything but I'm pretty sure it's Cost per impression (CPM)

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Bug Report: I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before, but when browsing on Boards touch, sometimes when I click on a thread that I've read hundreds of times before, it brings me to the very first post instead of where I left off. This is really annoying when it's a huge thread and I then have to find where I left off last time.
    It happens in all forums as far as I can see and isn't limited to the same thread or forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Dean09 wrote: »
    Bug Report: I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned before, but when browsing on Boards touch, sometimes when I click on a thread that I've read hundreds of times before, it brings me to the very first post instead of where I left off. This is really annoying when it's a huge thread and I then have to find where I left off last time.
    It happens in all forums as far as I can see and isn't limited to the same thread or forum.
    I have mentioned it.

It happens to me with certain threads every time. The Defender Thread in the 4x4 forum is one example. If I press and hold the link then click open when the pop up list appears it sometimes goes to the correct post

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭str|ct9

Duplicate threads appear on the homepage. Pagination at top of threads would be appreciated. Save having to scroll to end all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

On the new iOS 6 on the safari browser when I post in a thread and hit post reply it brings me to 10 pages previous instead of bringing me to my post

Edit: not always 10 pages, it brought me back 5 pages on this post

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭OU812

Hate the ads, don't use the touch site because of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

On the new iOS 6 on the safari browser when I post in a thread and hit post reply it brings me to 10 pages previous instead of bringing me to my post

I'm on Android and had the same happened to me today

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    I'm on Android and had the same happen today

Updates for this bug will happen on this thread

Danny

I'm just wondering is there a "Mark all forums read" button on the touch site?
    I can't seem to find one. I know I can just click "view full site" and select it that way but I just wanna know if I'm missing something on the touch site.
    Cheers. :)

I'm just wondering is there a "Mark all forums read" button on the touch site?
    I can't seem to find one. I know I can just click "view full site" and select it that way but I just wanna know if I'm missing something on the touch site.
    Cheers. :)

There is no mark all forums read button on touch - not yet.

Danny

Hi Danny, can you have a look st the bug mentioned by both myself and Dean09.

It can be very annoying in fast moving threads trying to find where you left off,

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Quick update to the touch site gone out there in the last few minutes.

When doing a "find all posts by <user_name>" from your account page, hitting the best/newest filters would lead to "0 Results" page, this is no longer the case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its probably been already suggested but for future consideration can we have the following;

- The forum name is linked at the top and bottom of the page but it would be great if it went like the site / mobile site breadcrumbs; Home > Sys > Site Development. Handier rather than going to the forum list or searching if I want to view a particular forum in that category.

- The pages each thread have is currently on the bottom. I don't always end up on the page I expect to when clicking the title so if I arrive at the first post it would be nice to be able to click the page number I want at the top rather than scrolling to the bottom.

Another update gone live now - Registration and Lost Password Recovery is now possible on Touch without moving to the main site

Danny

Another update gone live now - Registration and Lost Password Recovery is now possible on Touch without moving to the main site

Danny
    Can we get a PM pop up?

I'd also like to be able to leave a half read thread without the whole thread being marked as read

Slidey wrote: »
    Can we get a PM pop up?

A popup, on touch? Nope. We are looking at various improvements to touch at the minute, notifications will fall in here somewhere but a popup is an awful user experience :o
    I'd also like to be able to leave a half read thread without the whole thread being marked as read

The main site doesn't do this, neither will touch. We currently have no way of knowing if you've just read page 1 or all pages of a thread.

Danny

Can we get a PM pop up?

A popup, on touch? Nope. We are looking at various improvements to touch at the minute, notifications will fall in here somewhere but a popup is an awful user experience :o

The main site doesn't do this, neither will touch. We currently have no way of knowing if you've just read page 1 or all pages of a thread.

Danny
    Well maybe just a small number one or something like that beside the PM button

• Advertisement

Well maybe just a small number one or something like that beside the PM button

Now you're talkin' :)

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

...or change b'ground color of PM box/button or just invert color

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Danny

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean, you're actually wrong on that point. If I read page 1 of a 20 page thread, go back into the thread listings, it's still bolded as unread. If I click "Go to new post" from there, it'll bring me to the first post on page 2. This is on the full site.

RolandIRL wrote: »
    Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean, you're actually wrong on that point. If I read page 1 of a 20 page thread, go back into the thread listings, it's still bolded as unread. If I click "Go to new post" from there, it'll bring me to the first post on page 2. This is on the full site.

This is correct.
    But on the touch site, even if I only read the first page of a big thread and then leave the thread, it's marked as read and when I click on it again it brings me to the last page.

Any word on this being sorted?
    It still happens on a regular basis and is really annoying trying to find where you left off in a big thread.

Any word on this being sorted?
    It still happens on a regular basis and is really annoying trying to find where you left off in a big thread.

When was the last time you read this big thread?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, the touch site only seems to remember your place in a thread for 2 or 3 weeks. After that, unless you re-vist the thread on the main site first, it will throw you back to the beginning of the thread. I consistently experience this will oldish threads that have been bumped.

It happened to me today one of the threads in this forum which isn't that old

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fair play on the improvements to the touch site guys - especially the more posts per page and PM notifications. Makes it a much more pleasant experience all in all :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement