Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Touch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

not sure if it's been mentioned/noticed, but when you go to PMs you only have options of inbox/sent. With m.boards down the bottom there are more options, not that all are needed but a 'send new message' one would be useful I would think. Otherwise you'd either have to have a PM from someone to reply to or visit their profile to get an option of sending them one.
    (sorry if it was mentioned already, my excuse is I'm not well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I just love it. Simple still getting used to it but it is working beautifully on the Android tablet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

One problem I've encountered: it's not bringing me to the latest post. When I tap on a thread it brings me to the first page of that thread and I have to scroll to the end and tap on the last page and scroll to the end again, which is very awkward. Should it be remembering where I last was on the thread? If not, is there an easier way to get to the latest post?

not fully solved. if i want to get to pg 4 of a thread i have to open up the first page then scroll to the bottom and click on 4 (or whatever page i want), can you list the page numbers in the contents section?

also is it possible to revert to the desktop version on smartphone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Dont know if its been mentioned, slightly trivial anyway but avatars don't seem to update. Changed mine a couple of days ago but still showing the old one, noticed a few others too (so its not just me ). Other than that, loving it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Replying to posts was broken for a couple of hours there, apologies.

I've been trying to track down a problem with quotes for some users and inadvertently fudged the ability to post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭du6linjoe

Ross wrote: »
    Yep, subscribers can turn off ads!
    Yeah i'm impressed, I like it. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

This post has been deleted.
    a full request of www.boards.ie with a cold cache (downloading every file) is ~390kb. the same on touch.boards.ie is ~66kb. that's a significant drop on the home page alone. these drops follow through on the rest of the site's main pages. (show thread etc.).

*edit* sorry i misread your post.

m.boards.ie home page is ~10k, so there's a six fold increase, but in all fairness all static content like javascript and images will get cached when you browse touch.boards so it's not that much extra overhead for the richer user experience you'll gain. actually when client side caching of your browser kicks in 14kb is downloaded from touch.boards.ie and 9kb from m.boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gymnipities

I like it a lot and was using it until a few days ago when the following problem finally got too annoying.

As mentioned before you get taken to the start of thread which would be fine if there were links at the top of the page to the other pages in the thread. As it is you have to scroll down to the bottom to click (touch?) through to the last page.

The annoying thing is that when I start scrolling down, after three or four swipes I get taken back to the top and have to start all over again. This happens when you start scrolling before the full page has loaded. It will let you scroll away but when page finishes loading you're back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The annoying thing is that when I start scrolling down, after three or four swipes I get taken back to the top and have to start all over again. This happens when you start scrolling before the full page has loaded. It will let you scroll away but when page finishes loading you're back to square one.

That is a problem with your mobile browser and not with boards. This happens with every site for me with safari on iOS. The guys wouldn't have stuck code into touch to do this.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping anyone who reads this forum will be able to help flush out any major bugs before the masses get to it

In-line ads need to be got rid of completely. Its not good enough that you need to subscribe, the mobile site is ad free and better in terms of how the screen real estate is utilised. The ads on the touch site just take up too much screen space.

Also it could benefit from thread subscription management being built into it, that's all it's really missing.

Nice interface for replying to messages though, it's vastly better than m.boards for iPhone, just sort out the ads, please, it's single-handedly enough to stop me wanting to use it.

EDIT: more options on how threads are displayed too please. "go to last post" or "display last post first" in options or something. It's a pain scrolling through lots of pages/posts to get to most recent activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Love the interface. Much cleaner and easier to view. Between this and reddit I'm screwed for free time. Ads don't seem to bother me at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm not getting any notifications of PMs either. A few times I've been online on my phone during the day, but it's only when I sign on to the full site on my laptop that I see that I've received PMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Looks good, nice job.
    Some things I'd like to see

The box the posters names and picture is in to be dark blue and quoted text to be a darker blue like m.boards.

Show what number post it is.

Instead of having to reply to a post then delete the quoted post, just have a box down the bottom that can be clicked and reply, like m.boards. Not sure if there is another way but I can't see it.

There's a problem with the optimus win 7 mobile that at the top the search is covered by the forum button. Its not a big deal really.

Thanks

/Edit also not a big issue but when viewing a forum like this one its shows like this.

Boards.ie Touch (134)
    Last poster:Jet Black3 min ago

Would it be possible to show on the second line either

Last poster:Jet Black 3 min ago
    or just

Jet Black: 3 min ago

Not a major issue

Thanks

/Edit would it be also be possible to have -home forums Subbed new usercp on the top of every page. I have to go to a thread before I can click forum to access my subbed forums.

Another thing I've noticed is there seems to be something wrong with the reply box. The first letters get cut off after typing and going into the second line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Is it possible to add a tab at the top of the homescreen beside my threads that says my posts and list the last number of posts you have. It makes getting back to where you were much easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Was something changed?

I noticed, when reading a thread, that the link to the parent forum is no longer in top left corner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Was something changed?

I noticed, when reading a thread, that the link to the parent forum is no longer in top left corner
    I've noticed this too - and as you say the link was there previously. Please restore this if possible. Thanks.

Oh and BTW, well done on the touch version - use it all the time now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Was something changed?

Happening me too. SUPER annoying because you have to go to the forums list to get back to the forum.

Bug introduced with an update yesterday, fixed now, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

Howdy all,

This isn't being "officially" announced until tomorrow (although obviously as soon as I've posted this it's kinda moot), we've got a new version of the site built with touch enabled devices in mind (smartphones like iPhones and Android phones mostly, but works pretty well on a tablet too!).

We've only just finished development on this, so I'm hoping anyone who reads this forum will be able to help flush out any major bugs before the masses get to it :)

At the moment we're not doing any magical redirects, so to access the site visit http://touch.boards.ie.

Hope you like it!

Great new site, I'm using it on my IPhone and it's great, I will probably use this alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

Is there twitter integration yet or are there any plans? Sorry if it's already been mentioned in the thread. Don't have time to read through it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Twitter integration? Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Apologies if this has been mentioned already.

Just noticed when using the touch version, it doesn't display increased font size or changes to text color.

Is this done on purpose for some reason? or something that could be fixed?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Well done on the touch site guys it rocks !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm experiencing a strange issue where the keyboard will not appear and allow me to enter text in the reply box.

Happens on both stock Android brower and Fennec. Android 2.3.3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not sure if this has been mentioned...

One of regulars in A&A (thanks Barrington!) has noticed an anomoly where two new threads that I have merged with an existing stickie are showing up in the Touch skin as duplicates of the original stickies on the homepage.

See below where the "Ongoing religious scandals" stickie is there twice outside of the top stickies. These appear where the redirected threads appear on the normal site.

G'luck. :)

photo_5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've been getting that too.

I also noticed This post of mine is, at least on the touch version, somehow thanked twice by koth. While flattering, it's probably not supposed to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

only finding this now going to try it out as full boards and mboards is slow to load and render and fully load
    will let you know if i find anythin looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

When you receive mail for subscribed threads when link opened your brought to full site......

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    When you receive mail for subscribed threads when link opened your brought to full site......
    Not unless you've specifically clicked the "view on full site" link at the bottom previously.

If you visit touch.boards.ie again in your phone's browser it should reset your cookie and then you should be redirected correctly on subsequent visits from email notifications.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement