Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Touch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Ross wrote: »
    Not unless you've specifically clicked the "view on full site" link at the bottom previously.

If you visit touch.boards.ie again in your phone's browser it should reset your cookie and then you should be redirected correctly on subsequent visits from email notifications.

On a mobile phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thefaizan

Nice so far. Won't let me thanks though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They might have been mentioned already, but 2 things that would be great:
    - A "mark forum as read" button
    - Links to stand out more by being bold or underlined. At the moment they just blend in to the rest of the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭NTC

Looks good. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

works well now on IE9 on windows phone 7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Would be nice to be able to vote in polls using the touch interface

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Ross wrote: »
    Yep, subscribers can turn off ads!
    Where are the settings to turn off the adds?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You are not a subscriber, you can't turn off the advertisements. To sign up to be a subscriber you can see this page. Not really anything to do with boards.ie Touch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Get a WP7 :) Ads dont come up on IE9 in most cases :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

If you're in a forum within a forum it would be handy to be able to go up to the parent forum, but I can't see any way to do that. Say for example you're in the Elections forum, and want to go up one to the politics forum, there's no way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

If you're in a forum within a forum it would be handy to be able to go up to the parent forum, but I can't see any way to do that. Say for example you're in the Elections forum, and want to go up one to the politics forum, there's no way to do it.
    Our hands are a little tied with this one as we run the risk of cluttering up the screen, the only real viable place for this link to live would be under the Forum title, which is quite small enough area as it is. Increasing this section of the touch site would mean there'd be less more important data (post data) above the fold (viewable portion of screen) of the phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A thread options dropdown / pop-out menu could be cool, given that most touch screen devices can support all that client side scripting goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There is still a problem with the links from email notifications, they bring you to the first post instead of the last. Most of the time I don't follow them as it takes you to the first post, you need to wait for the page to fully load, or else it brings you back to the first post again, then you need to scroll down, choose the last page (hoping) that's where you previously left off, wait for the page to fully load etc...

It's just too much effort and spoils the site for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Our hands are a little tied with this one as we run the risk of cluttering up the screen, the only real viable place for this link to live would be under the Forum title, which is quite small enough area as it is. Increasing this section of the touch site would mean there'd be less more important data (post data) above the fold (viewable portion of screen) of the phone.

Maybe just an "up one level" button, like you have in windows explorer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

hardCopy wrote: »
    Maybe just an "up one level" button, like you have in windows explorer?

It can't be that hard to do, surely. (Not that I know!)

This is what the bottom of a page in a thread in the elections forum looks like at the minute:
    http://omg.wthax.org/photo1_2.jpg (I can't seem to embed images, or upload attachments this morning for some reason)

And this is all that really needs to be done:
    http://omg.wthax.org/example_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

And this is all that really needs to be done:
    http://omg.wthax.org/example_1.jpg

This may be possible, technically it's trivial but would need to be tested quite a bit on various devices and different hands, not all of us have skinny fingers ;).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

This is more of a moderator issue, rather than a general one, so i don't know if this is he right place for it,

but anyway, when I'm viewing my forum, i have to moderator options in view, so I've to switch to either the full site or the m.boards site.

even if you would just add a check box to each post, then a moderator tools pop out at the bottom, that would apply to the ones you've ticked.

Even if you could just include some simple options like delete, and forget about the merge post etc, we could delete the offending post on the go, then deal with it properly when we are on a computer.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

This is more of a moderator issue, rather than a general one, so i don't know if this is he right place for it,

but anyway, when I'm viewing my forum, i have to moderator options in view, so I've to switch to either the full site or the m.boards site.

even if you would just add a check box to each post, then a moderator tools pop out at the bottom, that would apply to the ones you've ticked.

Even if you could just include some simple options like delete, and forget about the merge post etc, we could delete the offending post on the go, then deal with it properly when we are on a computer.

Thanks!

I'm afraid that there are no facilities in the tech that touch is built on for any moderator functionality, simple or otherwise. It is coming, though there's no timeline at the minute for when it'll be done, or when touch will have those features.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Thanks!

I'm afraid that there are no facilities in the tech that touch is built on for any moderator functionality, simple or otherwise. It is coming, though there's no timeline at the minute for when it'll be done, or when touch will have those features.
    That's fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but the "follow" button at the bottom of threads doesn't work, only the one at the top.

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but the "follow" button at the bottom of threads doesn't work, only the one at the top.

I've got a fix in for this now, going live soon. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I browsed through the thread, didn't see this except for the first page.

The touch screen version of the site is really good but I have a little problem that puts me off using it. When I tap the 'go to first unread' icon beside the thread name it just takes me to the start of the thread.

I know it doesn't seem like a big thing but in large threads like YLYL, it is annoying trying to find what page you're on.

Any help would be great.

Ledger wrote: »
    I browsed through the thread, didn't see this except for the first page.

The touch screen version of the site is really good but I have a little problem that puts me off using it. When I tap the 'go to first unread' icon beside the thread name it just takes me to the start of the thread.

I know it doesn't seem like a big thing but in large threads like YLYL, it is annoying trying to find what page you're on.

Any help would be great.

What icon are you clicking?

If you want to go to the last post in a thread then click on the text that says when the last post was:

185933.png

What icon are you clicking?

If you want to go to the last post in a thread then click on the text that says when the last post was:

185933.png

Well on my phone the control panel comes up as the desktop site version, and when I go from there it switches to the touch site. The icon I mean is the little down arrow icon at the start of the thread name. Sorry can't get a screen cap at the moment.

If you're on a mobile device and wish to use the touch site then you should be using it from the get-go - it has both My Forums (subscribed forums) and My Threads (subscribed threads). Moving from the full site to the touch site mid-way through use based on a link you click is going to cause issues :)

If you're on a mobile device and wish to use the touch site then you should be using it from the get-go - it has both My Forums (subscribed forums) and My Threads (subscribed threads). Moving from the full site to the touch site mid-way through use based on a link you click is going to cause issues :)

Thought it might be something to do with that. Thanks Danny.

Thought it might be something to do with that. Thanks Danny.

Yup, that's what it is. And it's not something easily fixed - we detect you're on a phone, pull out the thread ID and send you on to touch. However, there because of the way touch works there's no equivalent function to "goto=newpost" like there is in full Boards (well, at least not yet and it's not in the pipeline remotely soon).

Yup, that's what it is. And it's not something easily fixed - we detect you're on a phone, pull out the thread ID and send you on to touch. However, there because of the way touch works there's no equivalent function to "goto=newpost" like there is in full Boards (well, at least not yet and it's not in the pipeline remotely soon).

Pity. It's such a handy feature. Ce La Vie.

• Advertisement

Pity. It's such a handy feature. Ce La Vie.

Yes, it is. All in good time though :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement