Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

1.579 for unleaded and 1.479 for diesel in Newbridge

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

1.64 here in east cork. prices always rise with good weather. more demand. don't forget without various taxes fuel would be around 70 cent a litre and about 23 cent has been added with carbon taxes etc since 2008 so not sure the garages are to blame for high fuel costs

East Cork is on a planet of its own for fuel prices. Midleton is always 5c more than any other place in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭allinthehead

whiterebel wrote: »
    East Cork is on a planet of its own for fuel prices. Midleton is always 5c more than any other place in Ireland.

ya and 10 minutes from the refinery

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

fryup wrote: »
    fuel is on the up again, but why??

greedy garage owners taking advantage of the tourist season??

Lol

You mean the season where garages drop about 20% in fuel sales, hardly a good time to profiteer by making 3c instead of 2c on a €1.50 product. These 1% margins are a rip off I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Hammertime wrote: »
    Lol

You mean the season where garages drop about 20% in fuel sales, hardly a good time to profiteer by making 3c instead of 2c on a €1.50 product. These 1% margins are a rip off I tell you.

i would have assumed people do more driving over the summer

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

i would have assumed people do more driving over the summer

No, considerably less

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wow that is expensive! I paid 138.9 today

Where??????????? Saudi Arabia

whiterebel wrote: »

Go to Texaco old cork road near island gate 5c cheaper than Midleton

And that is exactly what is happening, sadly.
    The government is broke and being sustained by loans it cannot ever hope to repay.
    So their idea is "Hey, let's tax our way out of this!".
    More taxes means less money, less spend, businesses closing down, rates down, more people unemployed, tax take down, more loans, higher taxes and it all starts again.
    Protests won't help, voting another shower in won't help, the only consequence will be to default on your mortgage, therefore deepening the hole for the banks, more government money into the banks, higher taxes and so on.
    The inescapable conclusion is that this won't end well.
    Those who can, get out and the others will clog up the dole queue.
    The lucky few who have jobs will pay double the tax in ten years.
    The others will lose everything.
    If there was intelligence in government this would be obvious, but a country isn't run on intelligence, it is run on "tax take is down, let's raise taxes".
    I have absolutely zero faith in the government, no matter what bastards are in it.

Agree with above but which country do you emigrate to for good: England are they not doing the same as us wrt Tax. Australia? USA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hammertime wrote: »
    Lol

20% drop:confused: what are you on about...this is the height of the tourist season.. the population increases by over a million resulting in far more traffic on our roads not to mention people buying fuel for lawnmowers, strimmers etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

it seems to be in touristy areas that the price is that bit higher, so i agree some garage owners are taking advantage at the height of the tourist season

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

162.9 for petrol today in Galway, it was 159.9 last month. No explanation, no budget, just deal with it.

it seems to be creeping up again, anticipation for trouble in the middle -east??

i suppose prices will rocket if there is military intervention in syria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Yeah gone from 145.9 to 147.9 for diesel in my usual spot, after being consistent at 145.9 for a good while

1.499 here.

Strong Euro (1.33 USD), Brent down to $113, gasoline in the States excluding taxes is 2.80 (20 cents lower than two weeks ago) and yet we see an increase? Why's that?
    Petrolheads should start their own political party and what they should do is drop some tax on fuel, and include motor tax in the price of petrol/diesel/lpg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Sobanek wrote: »
    Strong Euro (1.33 USD), Brent down to $113, gasoline in the States excluding taxes is 2.80 (20 cents lower than two weeks ago) and yet we see an increase? Why's that?
    Petrolheads should start their own political party and what they should do is drop some tax on fuel, and include motor tax in the price of petrol/diesel/lpg :D

I wouldn't be surprised if all those increases recede at the weekend though. Assuming that trend will continue of course.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Now that Syria will handover/relinquish chemical weapons to international bodies, will the cost of fuel drop quickly?

I'll give this one a double positive;

Yeah Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

This is great news, the annual price drop which will allow the government to levy fuel some more, without seeming like a big rise.

Then come January prices will rise again and we can look forward to €1.75+

I'd rather prices stayed a bit high and dropped after the budget!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fryup wrote: »
    it seems to be creeping up again, anticipation for trouble in the middle -east??

i suppose prices will rocket if there is military intervention in syria

Whenever there's a sniff of trouble in the Middle East prices rise instantly... But when the price of a barrel
    of oil drops on world markets we are told it takes a few months for the drop to filter through...funny that

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Spokesman on TV this morning saying that consumption in China has risen by 9% in the last year, so no price drop.

Have to keep those profits up?

see-saw effect is still on going

prices seems to be dropping a wee bit now :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

They never drop by much for long the sand jockeys club will adjust production so there is never over abundance to drive prices down.

I know it has to do with taxation in this country and the inflexibility of prices. It has amazed me though how in other countries this rigidness doesn't happen.

In August I was in the Netherlands for a little over a week. The price for Euro 95 at the 'local' filling station where I was fluctuated by 8 cent over that week. And then when you fill up on a Saturday you get another 8 or so cent off as well.

But in a country where 167.9 c/l is very cheap you'd want it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

pajor wrote: »
    I know it has to do with taxation in this country and the inflexibility of prices. It has amazed me though how in other countries this rigidness doesn't happen.

In August I was in the Netherlands for a little over a week. The price for Euro 95 at the 'local' filling station where I was fluctuated by 8 cent over that week. And then when you fill up on a Saturday you get another 8 or so cent off as well.

But in a country where 167.9 c/l is very cheap you'd want it..

i drove through the Netherlands last week, i saw unleaded for 1.89c/l at one garage. I assume they have their road tax on fuel?

snaps wrote: »
    i drove through the Netherlands last week, i saw unleaded for 1.89c/l at one garage. I assume they have their road tax on fuel?

Nope, separate motor tax too.

Motorway service stations are at least 10c more per litre than everywhere else though. If that wasn't on the motorway.. well they have cowboys over there too. :pac:

is it just garage owners way of softening the blow before the budget hike??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

What goes up, must come down.

Except fuel prices....

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    What goes up, must come down.

Except fuel prices....

More like what goes down, must go up.

Advertisement