Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Seweryn wrote: »
    Still not quite close to figures we are looking for (i.e. €0.899 per litre), but we are going the right direction ;).
    My households financial situation would improve vastly if it went down to €1.359 a litre. That's all I'm wishing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Sobanek wrote: »
    My households financial situation would improve vastly if it went down to €1.359 a litre. That's all I'm wishing for.
    Not just yours situation ;). But you can reduce the mileage you drive to compensate, if you need to ;).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

filled up yesterday at 146.9 a litre. girl said they are going down again next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Reason why fuel should or is coming down is due to the price of wholesale oil tumbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Long may it continue.

Of course, with a potential attack on Iran only around the corner... :mad:

• Advertisement

Brent's been at the $105-107 level for the past couple of days, so I think unless the dollar weakens, the prices are going to stay at the same level for now.

kceire wrote: »
    filled up yesterday at 146.9 a litre. girl said they are going down again next week :D

Derv or petrol??? Thought you sold the 530d :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ottostreet wrote: »
    Kilkenny prices are disgraceful, I've been all over most Leinster and parts of Munster over the last week, Kilkenny is higher than everywhere.

You'd want to try Midleton, Co Cork all of 10k from the refinery. All 4 garages charge the same, €1.64 still for petrol.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

kceire wrote: »

Thats what she said
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

1:46 for diesel in dundalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Go figure:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Galway City surely the most expensive in Ireland? Mainly around 164-165, but have seen a few 167s the last few days. Had been 169 absolutely everywhere a few weeks back. Prices are always suspiciously similiar too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Is it that dear now! I used to pay 1.33 for the cheap stuff about 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

148 for diesel on the N2, and 158/59 for petrol.

Theres a guy in Navan still selling petrol for 169.9. Cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Go figure:D

slab murphy diesel??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Vicxas wrote: »
    Theres a guy in Navan still selling petrol for 169.9. Cowboy.
    Can be got on the Kells Rd for 157.9. 12c difference. Anyone that pays the high price deserves it.
    I usually fill up in Ardee, currently 159.9. Great to see it move in the right direction, currently doing a 70 mile daily commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am back in Ireland for four days in June, then France for 7 and driving from Cannes to Barcelona after that and back home.

I havent been home in a long time and have not given a thought to fuel prices, think I will get the train in France so I will just be driving at home.

Its 25 cent a litre here, heavily subsidised. The thought of paying 1.50 is nuts. I remember when people were saying there would be riots if it hit 1 euro. I also work in the Petro/Oil/Gas Industry out here and we are not increasing overheads, actually reducing them due to more efficent methods of petroleum development. Due to economic conditions worldwide and the willingness of people to move offshore or to a desert salaries have not increased or are decreasing.

Tax and propaganda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Jude13 wrote: »
    I am back in Ireland for four days in June, then France for 7 and driving from Cannes to Barcelona after that and back home.

I havent been home in a long time and have not given a thought to fuel prices, think I will get the train in France so I will just be driving at home.

Its 25 cent a litre here, heavily subsidised. The thought of paying 1.50 is nuts. I remember when people were saying there would be riots if it hit 1 euro. I also work in the Petro/Oil/Gas Industry out here and we are not increasing overheads, actually reducing them due to more efficent methods of petroleum development. Due to economic conditions worldwide and the willingness of people to move offshore or to a desert salaries have not increased or are decreasing.

Tax and propaganda

And don't forget international speculators exploiting a vulnerable market to make a few more billion through reckless gambling. Funnily enough exactly what got the global economy into a mess in the first place.
    And yet there seems to be a global acceptance that a model of trading that impoverishes billions on the supply and consumer side so that a very small handful can enrich themselves to the tune of billions, every now and then crash the world economy and be given big, nice, juicy handouts to "bail them out".
    At the moment there are billions living in poverty in the third world due to this model and we in the developed world are about to join them.
    Petrol is just one example of a completely corrupt and unsustainable model of trade that is about to ruin the planet.
    These people will do more damage to the world than WW2 and will eventually be regarded the same as the people who caused that war.
    IMO they should be arrested and executed for genocide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Jude13 wrote: »
    Its 25 cent a litre here, heavily subsidised.

And where is that? In Spain and France it's nowhere near that either by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

smash wrote: »
    And where is that? In Spain and France it's nowhere near that either by the way.
    Probably some Arabian country. I think the likes of Bahrain/Saudi are cheaper than that though

• Advertisement

I think Qatar is around that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

cisk wrote: »
    I think Qatar is around that.

I was in Brunei in April and Petrol costs 30c and Diesel 20c/ litre. The cost of Petrol before tax is around 70-75c a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

I have been out in the UAE a week and I think its 32cents a litre, the size of car engines here is unreal, diesel is like LPG virtually non existent. The amount of huge gas guzzler jeeps is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I have been out in the UAE a week and I think its 32cents a litre, the size of car engines here is unreal, diesel is like LPG virtually non existent. The amount of huge gas guzzler jeeps is unreal.
    Subsidizing fossil fuels to allow people to use it that way (as we can see in far East and by taxing it very low like in US) is the worst idea ever. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Subsidizing fossil fuels to allow people to use it that way (as we can see in far East and by taxing it very low like in US) is the worst idea ever. IMO.

I wouldn't disagree with low fuel tax.
    I'd be delighted if fuel was 90¢L

And I don't believe that we could ever afford to subsidise fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

those of you who buy cheapy diesel, here's the consequences....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0529/toxic-diesel-sludge-found-dumped-in-co-louth.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The thing is, taxing it as all makes no difference to the world stocks. building your economy on taxing fuel is a hiding to nowhere very quickly.

We [the motorist at the pumps] could be buying fuel at approx 50C per litre and everybody would still be getting a huge cut out of it. Taxes should be a percentage of and not be hundreds of percent of the selling price; we are carrying some 300% taxes on fuel.

A whole review needs to be undertaken, we could be driving vehicles that would return in excess of 300 miles per gallon, but other legislation, mostly safety legislation undoes this potential as does 'traffic' management, speed bumps, traffic lights, toll plazas and then we have cityscapes, urban dormitories, Industrial parks, retail parks, commercial parks, clamping at urban railway stations, urban railways running through the countryside and so on and on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

RoverJames wrote: »
    You seem to be one of those folks who like to see fuel prices rising so you can bitch about it, petrol is back to January/February prices now. You didn't expect that to happen back in January.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76361900

Where are all the" it will be €2/litre for unleaded by the Summer" brigade now ?

the prices are 'mysteriously' dropping due to referendum vote this week. Also haven't seen many speed camera vans for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

mcwhirter wrote: »
    the prices are 'mysteriously' dropping due to referendum vote this week. Also haven't seen many speed camera vans for a while.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The one conspiracy that intrigues me is the one why fuel prices rocket up at the forecourt as soon as there is a hint of a rumor that oil might possibly go up at some stage in the future and take weeks or months to come down once oil has gone down.
    Mystery seems to be solved, they where robbing us!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/government-issues-price-warning-to-petrol-companies-7803661.html

So soon enough this will be one of things that was "impossible and too difficult" to implement that suddenly becomes all to possible and easy to do once the relevant legislation is introduced.

Advertisement