Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭ofcork

I assume thats why many stations basically became mini supermarkets,people coming in paying for fuel and picking up other items as they were there pricey as they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Blut2 wrote: »
    Quick, someone inform the Licensed Vintners Association, they'll sort these loss-leading shenanigans out!
    Unrelated rubbish of a post.
    There's fewer than half the number of petrol stations in this country then there were in 1995. They didn't all close down because they were making too much money on fuel, but the remainder stayed open (presumably for their own good healh?). I worked in a petrol station during my college years and if we made 3 cent a litre we were doing very well, and this was a very busy site with an owner who wasn't afraid to bargain with the supplier. I've no connection with the business now, or the fuel retail industry generally, but trust me on this, I saw the invoices myself.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how can some guy afford to sell petrol at 147.9 :confused:

in a few places the petrol is cheaper than the diesel very odd:confused:

take a look at latest prices Pumps.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There's fewer than half the number of petrol stations in this country then there were in 1995. They didn't all close down because they were making too much money on fuel.
    I'd imagine a lot closed down because their owners cashed in on the rapidly appreciating site values.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

prices have dropped a wee bit

last week at my local 168.9 for petrol

this week .........163.9

hope it continues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

philstar wrote: »
    prices have dropped a wee bit

last week at my local 168.9 for petrol

this week .........163.9

hope it continues
    Yeah, can't wait to see €0.899 per litre again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Seweryn wrote: »

Beer maybe...

Beer maybe...
    Well, at least we are going the right direction ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Green diesel at 0.89 is a deal!
    I've started paying by card so I don't have to pay attention to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

We think we have it bad; yesterday E95 unleaded in Italy was 1.92. Not a one off, seems to be a fairly common price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Given that around 80c a Litre is tax, it will never be below €1 again. Definately prices seem to have stopped rising and a slight fall in some places

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Max Power1 wrote: »
    FFS there must be money in fuel sales or they would close and just run the shop as a standalone:rolleyes:

How many people are going to randomly pull in to a shop in the middle of nowhere on the side of a road; or a few doors down from a cheaper shop?

Why people still seem to assume there's some huge margin on fuel is beyond me. The maths are public, there is bugger all margin and there hasn't been for years.

Count the number of closed stations you see around, either obvious ones where there's still something left behind or ones listed on an older satnav. High profit businesses don't close down.

Also note how few stations are left without full shops. Last one I knew of in Dublin was at a car dealers, and recently they built a shop in half the showroom...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

MYOB wrote: »
    How many people are going to randomly pull in to a shop in the middle of nowhere on the side of a road; or a few doors down from a cheaper shop?

Why people still seem to assume there's some huge margin on fuel is beyond me. The maths are public, there is bugger all margin and there hasn't been for years.

Count the number of closed stations you see around, either obvious ones where there's still something left behind or ones listed on an older satnav. High profit businesses don't close down.

Also note how few stations are left without full shops. Last one I knew of in Dublin was at a car dealers, and recently they built a shop in half the showroom...

thats the Daybreak shop I presume?

Dont think its doing the business unfortuantly, lovely setup though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hammertime wrote: »
    thats the Daybreak shop I presume?

Dont think its doing the business unfortuantly, lovely setup though.

Yeah. Not been in to it since it opened, mainly because I've not bought a car from them since 2005! Just see it in passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

MYOB wrote: »
    Yeah. Not been in to it since it opened, mainly because I've not bought a car from them since 2005! Just see it in passing.

Bought my first car ever from there !

Fiat Bravo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

prices are slowly heading south:)

159.9 for petrol

will it continue???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

157.9 in Carlow, but was in Kilkenny yesterday and saw 165.9 in a few places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

fryup wrote: »
    prices are slowly heading south:)

159.9 for petrol

will it continue???

Not unless the Euro regains ground against the dollar quickly, €1.75/litre is looking more likely than that it going south.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Not unless the Euro regains ground against the dollar quickly, €1.75/litre is looking more likely than that it going south.

You seem to be one of those folks who like to see fuel prices rising so you can bitch about it, petrol is back to January/February prices now. You didn't expect that to happen back in January.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76361900

Where are all the" it will be €2/litre for unleaded by the Summer" brigade now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Owryan wrote: »
    157.9 in Carlow, but was in Kilkenny yesterday and saw 165.9 in a few places.

Kilkenny prices are disgraceful, I've been all over most Leinster and parts of Munster over the last week, Kilkenny is higher than everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

153.9 in Ashbourne last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Ginny wrote: »
    153.9 in Ashbourne last night.

For diesel? 10c more than that for petrol on Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

haven't seen anything less then 163.9 in Dublin so far.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Sorry, Typo was 159.8 for petrol in Ashbourne, just rechecked the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

152.9 for Devils Juice in most parts of Limerick and Kerry

Mc Love wrote: »
    152.9 for Devils Juice in most parts of Limerick and Kerry
    Still not quite close to figures we are looking for (i.e. €0.899 per litre), but we are going the right direction ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Still not quite close to figures we are looking for (i.e. €0.899 per litre), but we are going the right direction ;).

Who said they were looking for that?, i see it mentioned as a price afew years ago but i see nobody expecting it :pac:

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Who said they were looking for that?, i see it mentioned as a price afew years ago but i see nobody expecting it :pac:
    How do you know :pac: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Was in ardee last week and diesel was1.49. Diesel is coming down in Dublin but not at the rate it should be. The governments have not help fuel prices with their tax rises either. 90c we may never see again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

How do you know :pac: ?

Fuel prices when only drop when taxes are eased again and euro gains strength against the dollar, i love the people who treat it like it's a petrol station conspiracy :p

Advertisement