Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Prices

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Lutecia

For the ones who like to grab a bargain, ESB is still providing 0.00€ full tanks of electricity :D Here at the new J3 services on the M8. Great facility BTW :cool:

1545211_10152798937471891_6803658536877922221_n.jpg?oh=21853d4966e55c880b45e033ae2b4f80&oe=56140808

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

Anyone have any idea why the gap between petrol and diesel prices has widened so much lately? Lots of stations with differences of 17c or so which is much higher than recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I see Petrol is down below 1.40 now again on the South Link service station, hopefully that will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I see Petrol is down below 1.40 now again on the South Link service station, hopefully that will continue.

It won't

Unl is going up almost two cents tonight wholesale. That will filter thru to the pumps by Monday/Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

omicron wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea why the gap between petrol and diesel prices has widened so much lately? Lots of stations with differences of 17c or so which is much higher than recently.

I was wondering that myself. It was only 10c difference a year ago when prices were much higher. Petrol is ~12% cheaper whereas diesel is ~18% (rough guesses) cheaper than it was. I was over in the UK recently and diesel was 4p more expensive than petrol, although given the exchange rate meant the petrol price was about €1.70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Over 22c a litre between the cheapest diesel and the dearest petrol in cork now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

omicron wrote: »
    I was wondering that myself. It was only 10c difference a year ago when prices were much higher. Petrol is ~12% cheaper whereas diesel is ~18% (rough guesses) cheaper than it was. I was over in the UK recently and diesel was 4p more expensive than petrol, although given the exchange rate meant the petrol price was about €1.70

Duty is part of the reason - higher duty on petrol than diesle here. Way higher duty on diesel in UK than petrol.

Main reason is processing / refining.

A barrell of oil contains 159 litres, it produces about 175-180 litres of various fuels and by products as chemicals and other stuff are added to the mix to get the desired end results which vary depending on demand.

In summer, petrol is in big demand due to "driving season", so refineries have to turn 40%-50% of their prduct to petrol.

In winter, diesel demand is high due to boht heating requirements and more truck miles.

A certain percentage of raw oil is relatively easy to refine into petrol / diesel / jet fuel, but once demand is higher than this "easy" amount, the rest has to be "manufactured" and this uses relatively costly chemicals to do so.

Hence, when you see the barrel of oil price quoted you are just seeing the raw material cost. - currently about 29c (euro)

Refining, transport, and massve taxes are then added to get to the forecourt price.

BTW - mid august will be great time to fill home heating tanks with 1000 litres dropping to under €600.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Brasso

I seen UAE just deregulated their petrol market, removing subsidies and increasing pump prices from the equivalent of about €0.43 up to €0.53. They priced down diesel accordingly to bring transport costs down so that CPI inflation would not occur. If other middle East countries follow suit and deregulate this could help sustain low oil prices for longer. We probably won't see a strong enough euro to give us the benefit of this for a while though :-(

Advertisement