Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nibiru........True or False??!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,230 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

RedRaven wrote: »
    So lets just say we have detected Nibiru and it is coming to pass us in Dec next year and cause a polar shift and earthquakes etc.

As a nation what do we do?

What would your plan do?

Nothing, There's nothing that can possibly be done to save any large number of people or preserve the human beyond one or two generations.

What I'm more interested in is why you believe that they are building bunkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

ed2hands wrote: »
    Earlerizer liked your post. It was just the highlighted bit i was disagree with, but sure thats for another time. No problems with rest at all and it wasn't meant as a defense of the exitence of Niribu. I'm actually with you fully in what you said about it. Well put might i say.:)

Cheers Ed, I guess sometimes what we read in print can be misinterpreted,so,my bad for taking it the wrong way.

...it can be difficult enough to convey an opinion without offending or irking others (moreso here on boards lol people can be very defensive,myself included)....even moreso if you happen to have an interest in 'alternative reasoning' or Conspiracy Theory's , a term i hate using as it's too general and there's a stigma about it these days.

That said, this 'nibiru' subject is something of an oddity in that it's neither an astronomy/science nor a conspiracy thoery subject ,so where should such a thread reside? ........ lol no sooner have I wrote that and I can hear some of the responses already :D

Ed, really? do you not believe that we as a species have impacted negatively on the planet? i'm talking in terms of enviromentally impacting the planet? the adverse weather conditions been experienced and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

So lets just say we have detected Nibiru and it is coming to pass us in Dec next year and cause a polar shift and earthquakes etc.

As a nation what do we do?

What would your plan do?

A polar shift wouldn't do anything do the planet, it happens quite regularly. If something the size of Jupiter came close to earth, it's gravity would take earth along with it as a moon I'd imagine. Which is why the idea holds no merit.

To give you an idea of how large Jupiter is (assuming that we go with the speculation of Nibiru being similar in size of Jupiter), have a look at this scaled image.

earthm.png

Now imagine something that size coming within even the distance of Mars to us (Approx 0.5 AU away from us, but as close as 0.38 AU) - I'd imagine it would have a profound gravitational effect on Earth. Remember that Jupiter is almost 4 times the distance from the Sun as Mars is. The inner solar system is tightly knit in terms of distance, but beyond mars - planets get increasingly separated.

Now let's suppose it actually passes earth - it's gravitation pull would probably be akin to Jupiter's pull on Io, which is the most geologically active body in the solar system. Earth would most likely crack, and tear the earth so bad - earthquakes would be off the Richter scale, and Volcanos would cover the earth in volcanic ash, sending us into an ash Winter for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

To put it mildly - Nibiru in the context of the conspiracy theory Nibiru couldn't possibly exist. There may be a planet the size of Jupiter somewhere out there in the outer Kuiper belt - but to come in near earth - it would have to have an orbit so elliptical, if you were to draw it - earth's would be a circle around the sun, while Nibiru's orbit would be a straight line.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

King Mob wrote: »
    Nothing, There's nothing that can possibly be done to save any large number of people or preserve the human beyond one or two generations.

What I'm more interested in is why you believe that they are building bunkers.

The letter.

http://planetx-nibiru-jb.blogspot.com/2008/01/letter-from-norwegian-politician.html

And you believe that letter to be true? You can't be serious.

• Advertisement

Man thats a serious size difference Jupiter is a monster, How close would we need to be to get sucked into the orbit of something that size?

So do you actually think that's a reliable source?
    An anonymous letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I have an anonymous letter sent to me saying that the guy who writes that blog made the whole thing up. Oh, and you should buy me a new car, to save the world.

Is an interesting read.

Is an interesting read.
    So is a lot of fiction.

But do you believe it's a reliable source or not?

• Advertisement

I'll keep an open mind about it.

Can you see governments/military turning on the general populus should it come true?

The letter is fake. There's no point keeping an open mind about such things. "Don't open your mind so much that your brains fall out."
    Can you see governments/military turning on the general populus should it come true?

We're talking science fiction now. If something the size of Jupiter was approaching us then there wouldn't be much point in governments turning on their populations. Everybody on Earth would likely be killed by such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

WOW, you can really see where alot of people can get pulled in by soemthing like this ,all things considered.

Interesting read,but it was like reading a tour guide to Dr Evils underground empire, I mean the security in these places is ridiculously over the top considering noone knows about them the threat level is at best minimal yet these guys are packing guns miles below the surface and unwilling 'visitors' are willingly following directives of men in strange uniforms. ....... he later goes on to describe a scene from Men in Black followed by the story of the Arks ala the film 2012.........nonetheless thats not to say it's not true :rolleyes:

Although it suggests a wild imagination,possibly fuelled by witnessing or knowledge of the building over the past 5 years of 'arctic seed vaults' in Norway like the facility in Svalbard , there was actually a news report on it last week.

;) but then the conspiracy theorist in me would tell me that that story is just a front for whats really going on in there!

However, if this 'letter of warning' & it's contents were to be true,then what they (the governments of the world) are doing is akin to hiding under the table in the feotal position whilst waiting for a nuclear missile strike.

.....i'm pretty sure digging a few miles into the earth won't get you far enough away from the end of the world!

So I suppose you keep an open mind about Armageddon being a documentary as well?

Seriously there's a difference between open-mindedness and gullibility.

Its believed to be passing us.....so world wide disaster not impact.

You very dismissive about it Dodger......do you work for the government?

King Mob wrote: »
    So I suppose you keep an open mind about Armageddon being a documentary as well?

Seriously there's a difference between open-mindedness and gullibility.

Ouch.....

Its believed to be passing us.....so world wide disaster not impact.

If it passes within 0.20 AU of us, which is the figure I've seen quoted, it would in all probability be a global catastrophe. It would, in all likelyhood, bring the end of our species--along with the vast majority of other species.
    You very dismissive about it Dodger......do you work for the government?

It's an idiotic excuse for a conspiracy theory. It has absolutely no basis in reality whatsoever; not a shread of evidence exists to support the theory. I'm usually quite dismissive of such nonsense, especially in this case.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

EarlERizer wrote: »
    .....i'm pretty sure digging a few miles into the earth won't get you far enough away from the end of the world!

Sounds like the tagline for a film

If it passes within 0.20 AU of us, which is the figure I've seen quoted, it would in all probability be a global catastrophe. It would, in all likelyhood, bring the end of our species--along with the vast majority of other species.

It's an idiotic excuse for a conspiracy theory. It has absolutely no basis in reality whatsoever; not a shread of evidence exists to support the theory. I'm usually quite dismissive of such nonsense, especially in this case.

Ah JD your no fun........

Heres a thought, What is that planet could support life....could we send probes etc to see it we could populate it....just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Cheers Ed, I guess sometimes what we read in print can be misinterpreted,so,my bad for taking it the wrong way.

...it can be difficult enough to convey an opinion without offending or irking others (moreso here on boards lol people can be very defensive,myself included)....even moreso if you happen to have an interest in 'alternative reasoning' or Conspiracy Theory's , a term i hate using as it's too general and there's a stigma about it these days.

That said, this 'nibiru' subject is something of an oddity in that it's neither an astronomy/science nor a conspiracy thoery subject ,so where should such a thread reside? ........ lol no sooner have I wrote that and I can hear some of the responses already :D

Ed, really? do you not believe that we as a species have impacted negatively on the planet? i'm talking in terms of enviromentally impacting the planet? the adverse weather conditions been experienced and such.

I very much do believe so when you put it like that. Couldn't agree more old chap. I feel though that we are not much responsible for the adverse weather conditions. That's it really. Sorry to barge in;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Heres a thought, What is that planet could support life....could we send probes etc to see it we could populate it....just a thought
    If its orbit is so elliptical that is has escaped notice for 3000 years or whatever, it will be a tad too cold to support life.

If its orbit is so elliptical that is has escaped notice for 3000 years or whatever, it will be a tad too cold to support life.

Fair point good sir........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

It would appear gentlemen and ladies, that the Astronomy guys have well and truly kicked ass here:D. From the horses mouth seems to be a good source for me...

Man thats a serious size difference Jupiter is a monster, How close would we need to be to get sucked into the orbit of something that size?

Put it this way - Jupiter's gravitational field is the reason why we don't get smashed with asteroids and comets every week. It's like a solar system vacuum cleaner, sucking in anything that's unfortunate enough to come near it. One of Jupiter's moons is 24,000,000 kilometres away - in comparison, our moon is only 360,000 from earth. That's around 70 times as far as our moon.

As far as I know, it's hill sphere (the distance at which it's gravity is dominant) is 0.35au (about 50,000,000km) - That's roughly the distance between Earth and Mars at their closest point.

Now, I'm not a mathematician - so I can't work out how that's lessened the closer a body gets to the sun (as the sun will have dominant pull on earth), but it could be potentially almost as far as Mars for it's gravity to disturb earth. If it was within a few million miles of Earth, Earth would be biologically destroyed I'd imagine.

My maths could be slightly off here and there ;) I'm tired. But you get the jist.

ed2hands wrote: »
    It would appear gentlemen and ladies, that the Astronomy guys have well and truly kicked ass here:D. From the horses mouth seems to be a good source for me...

Yes it does seem so at present and thanks to them for their comments, not bad for a topic that was initially booted off the astro section....it apppears the gravitational pull of this topic was too much for some of them to escape eh.

Conspir + Astro topic x 3200 thread views = Even though they think its PANTS....secretly they love it!!!

Only kidding guys....thanks for the input.........by the way...if that fookin planet shows up Im calling round to yours with a crew and it wont be for feckin tea and bikkies.:D

There is another slant on this....its supposed to be on a 3600 year cycle which indicates we dont entirely get wiped out by we do take a pasting.....

There is another slant on this....its supposed to be on a 3600 year cycle which indicates we dont entirely get wiped out by we do take a pasting.....

Where are you reading this from out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

10 pages? I thought this had killed us already?

• Advertisement
Advertisement