Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nibiru........True or False??!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

Thats a fair point Mob,

So what lets say it does appear for the hell of it and we have lets say 12 to 14 months to get ready.

What happens to societies around the world chaos?? War??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,230 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

RedRaven wrote: »
    Thats a fair point Mob,

So what lets say it does appear for the hell of it and we have lets say 12 to 14 months to get ready.

What happens to societies around the world chaos?? War??
    Bruce Willis saves us all.

Armageddon is about the level of science this sort of nonsense is on.

So what you are saying is that Aerosmith could actually be in on this too....

I think you are wrong otherwise Steve would be far too busy to dp the US version of X Factor....

So underground bunkers then?? Norway and the Swiss

So underground bunkers then?? Norway and the Swiss
    So if the secret conspiracy can do the impossible and keep every single last astronomer and person who can afford a basic telescope quiet, why exactly would they allow any information at all slip out about their secret bunkers?

So why do you think there are these bunkers in the first place?

Not sure why they are being built but it is something to think about eh.

Ims ure we will know more as the months go by.......hope its a hoax.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ims ure we will know more as the months go by.......hope its a hoax.....

Of course it is :)

What is it that you've read that leads you to believe otherwise? I'm genuinely curious.

Only if you're straining to find a conspiracy.
    So what specifically leads you believe that these things are being built in the first place.

Given that you seem to be getting information from people who don't understand basic astronomy, shouldn't that make you think whether or not they are being accurate about these bunkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Well I for one am very grateful that the 'serious' astronomy & science folk of boards are still posting on this 'nonsensical' thread that they were shouting to have removed from their sacred forums :rolleyes:

Now,about this end of days planet hurtling towards us........in astronomy & scientific terms is 22 million miles extremely close? or close enough to see it? if indeed there is a 'Nibiru' out there?

What kind of signs (events) should we expect to see if indeed something like this was happening?

I'm not one for absolutes so i'm neither absolutely with the pro-nibiru nor anti-nibiru camps but I have to say to all those who run with the 'it's real' school on thought,the point about basic astronomy and the fact that there is no blind spot on earth in regard to our veiws of space and that the countless amateur and/or professional astronomers of the world have yet to see it (and of course they're not all keeping some safely guarded secrets on this) would suggest (very strongly) that this is all a big spook story!

There is indeed a lot of crazy stuff happening to the world in terms of enviromental occurances but these can almost all be put down to the fact that we (mankind) are causing them and not the onset of a rogue planets impending fly by.

Look, if it doesnt happen then those who told the world it was all rubbish will be satisfied and can say "told you so" to those who believed the whole thing and if it does happen then we're all fooked and noone can say "told you so" to anyone so in both cases the non beleivers win the argument, time now for all of us to just carry on with life until such time that we cant. :D

:eek: maybe .....it's a long shot, but maybe there's a death star approaching and the new galatic empire are closing in on us.

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Now,about this end of days planet hurtling towards us........in astronomy & scientific terms is 22 million miles extremely close? or close enough to see it? if indeed there is a 'Nibiru' out there?
    22 million miles is barely a stones throw in space.
    This is less than the closest Mercury comes to the Sun.
    It would be closer to us than Mars.

If this thing was the size of Jupiter, you'd probably see it during the day.

King Mob wrote: »
    22 million miles is barely a stones throw in space.
    This is less than the closest Mercury comes to the Sun.
    It would be closer to us than Mars.

If this thing was the size of Jupiter, you'd probably see it during the day.

So if there was such a thing out there,without the benefit of a telescope we could expect to see an extremely large 'star' (much larger than all the others and I'd assume brighter or even a different colour) in the sky on a clear night?

For as long as I can recall I've always been fascinated with the night sky,space and the like, well actually more intrigued than fascinated but as far as knowing what exactly I'm looking up at, I'd liken to Stevie Wonder flicking through a newspaper :o

• Advertisement

I just did a quick calculation, and if an object the size of Jupiter was about 20 million miles from Earth it'd appear about 65-75% the size of the Moon. Assuming the object had a similar albedo (level of light reflectance) as Jupiter, it'd be about 3 times brighter than a full Moon. (I'm using rough figures.)

Something roughly 3 times brighter than the full Moon would be pretty hard to miss.

I just did a quick calculation, and if an object the size of Jupiter was about 20 million miles from Earth it'd appear about 65-75% the size of the Moon. Assuming the object had a similar albedo (level of light reflectance) as Jupiter, it'd be about 3 times brighter than a full Moon. (I'm using rough figures.)

Something roughly 3 times brighter than the full Moon would be pretty hard to miss.

So this given,even as a rough estimate it's safe to say that all this 'Nibiru' talk ,firstly,is null and void! and secondly should be seen from the 'common sense' veiwpoint as opposed to a 'conspiracy theorys' one? .....and if that be the case then this thread is again in the wrong forum and would be best served in a 'sci fi' forum or elsewhere and not cluttering up the CT forum leaving all us "nutters" to get on with our crazy notions of conspiracys.

Unless this is all part of the cover up!!! :cool: hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

you all assume nibiru is even in the light spectrum. :rolleyes:

digme wrote: »
    Ah so it's magically invisible for some reason.
    That must be the explanation...

Times like this you wish there was a 'shaking head in despair' smiley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

thought the rolling eyes would have made you click...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

For as long as I can recall I've always been fascinated with the night sky,space and the like, well actually more intrigued than fascinated but as far as knowing what exactly I'm looking up at I'd compare to Stevie Wonder flicking through a newspaper :o
    You're missing out. Astronomy is one of those things that are more beautiful and awe-inspiring than fiction.
    It's easy to get started too. Grab a cheap binoculars and you can begin.

thought the rolling eyes would have made you click...

:o My bad ..... I blame the lack of sleep.

Nevore wrote: »
    You're missing out. Astronomy is one of those things that are more beautiful and awe-inspiring than fiction.
    It's easy to get started too. Grab a cheap binoculars and you can begin.

I know, I try catch 'The Sky at Night' on TV , I always like hearing about average joe's building telescopes and finding things in space. I love a clear night sky, I cant go outside for a smoke without craning my neck and just watching ..... usually see 'falling stars' , 'passing satelites' or whatever they are.

I Have cheap binoculars and even a cheap telescope but other than getting a great look at the moon on a clear night you wouldnt see much more through them......or am I just looking in the wrong direction? ...then again one mans bargain buy is another mans extravagance (when I say cheap I'm talking a few quid)

I've always wanted to get to look at space through one of those big massive observatory telescopes.

The good aul Irish weather doesnt always lend itself to star gazing and then of course there's the light pollution from street lights.

......and while i'm here.....thank god for Prof Brian Cox as poor aul Sir Patrick Moore isn't getting any younger.It's a shame they dont give more time on TV to space watching/exploration.

Earl, you could get a decent 8" dobsonian for about 300 euro. Best investment you will ever make. This is my bad boy: 22658_234606987427_509082427_3431828_7528957_n.jpg

You'll be able to see the bands of jupiter, the rings of saturn, the polar caps of mar (obviously not in great detail), many nebulae, and galaxies and star clusters. You're truly missing out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Part of the whole Nibiru theory is that of a governments building underground bunkers etc.

Does this seem possible that they would keep it a secret in order to maintain control etc.
    Obvious flaw in that logic is that, if these powerful people knew the world was going to end, why would they bother their arses working long hours in their tedious jobs instead of partying like it's 1999?

All the bunkers in the world won't save us if we get entangled with a Jupiter-sized object.

Oh god. suicide.gif

:)

dlofnep wrote: »
    Earl, you could get a decent 8" dobsonian for about 300 euro. Best investment you will ever make. This is my bad boy:
    I picked up one out of curiosity a while back. I'm not too scientific with it - I just point it a bright things and try to see what they are. :)

Best moment was when I pointed it at a particularly bright 'star' and noticed there were four moons around it on a plane...Jupiter!

The moon looks stunning through an 8 inch telecope too. I need to wear sunglasses looking at it, it's so bright :cool:

In a few years time when I'm more settled, I reckon I'll start going along to those Astronomy Ireland public viewing things to see more interesting stuff like nebulae, and learn a bit more about how to use the telescope.

Monty, download Stellarium if you want to try and find things to look at :) It's a free download and will show you what's in the sky at any given timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

:eek: maybe .....it's a long shot, but maybe there's a death star approaching and the new galatic empire are closing in on us.

If that were to become true the hours of my childhood spent trying to move objects with the force will have become justified. It exists!:D (I just can't control it yet though. :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

Well I for one am very grateful that the 'serious' astronomy & science folk of boards are still posting on this 'nonsensical' thread that they were shouting to have removed from their sacred forums :rolleyes:

What kind of signs (events) should we expect to see if indeed something like this was happening?

I'm not one for absolutes so i'm neither absolutely with the pro-nibiru nor anti-nibiru camps but I have to say to all those who run with the 'it's real' school on thought,the point about basic astronomy and the fact that there is no blind spot on earth in regard to our veiws of space and that the countless amateur and/or professional astronomers of the world have yet to see it (and of course they're not all keeping some safely guarded secrets on this) would suggest (very strongly) that this is all a big spook story!

There is indeed a lot of crazy stuff happening to the world in terms of enviromental occurances but these can almost all be put down to the fact that we (mankind) are causing them and not the onset of a rogue planets impending fly by.

Look, if it doesnt happen then those who told the world it was all rubbish will be satisfied and can say "told you so" to those who believed the whole thing and if it does happen then we're all fooked and noone can say "told you so" to anyone so in both cases the non beleivers win the argument, time now for all of us to just carry on with life until such time that we cant. :D

Lets stick to the facts, eh mate? :)

ed2hands wrote: »
    Lets stick to the facts, eh mate? :)

OK ........ could you bullet point a few for me and I'll run with them :) .... as i've said, i'm no astronomer or scientist so I wouldn't go giving an opinion as fact, but common sense and reading some of whats already been posted would suggest (as I suspect) that this is nothing more than a 'bogey man' story

......if you think i'm wrong with that opinion please furnish me with some facts to the contrary.....I'm honestly interested in what both camps have to offer on the whole 'nibiru' subject.

.....just to add, the piece you highlighted is an opinion not a fact, in my opinion alot of whats happening around the world is a direct result of mankinds impact on the planet as opposed to what some would have us believe.

Also, if anyone can throw up an answer to my previous question above (highlighted in red) I'd be grateful.

Malty_T wrote: »
    If that were to become true the hours of my childhood spent trying to move objects with the force will have become justified. It exists!:D (I just can't control it yet though. :( )

:D lol you probably need a trip to degobah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

Earlerizer liked your post. It was just the highlighted bit i was disagree with, but sure thats for another time. No problems with rest at all and it wasn't meant as a defense of the exitence of Niribu. I'm actually with you fully in what you said about it. Well put might i say.:)

• Advertisement

So lets just say we have detected Nibiru and it is coming to pass us in Dec next year and cause a polar shift and earthquakes etc.

As a nation what do we do?

What would your plan do?

Advertisement