Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Legends (LoL) General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Could someone briefly explain the difference in terms of challenge and strategy with regard the top and bottom lanes? I see champs recommended without question for one or the other lane, but to a relative newbie in terms of skill, I'm not sure of the difference between the two lanes (other than the monsters available off either) and how any champ could be better suited to one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

ionapaul wrote: »
    Could someone briefly explain the difference in terms of challenge and strategy with regard the top and bottom lanes? I see champs recommended without question for one or the other lane, but to a relative newbie in terms of skill, I'm not sure of the difference between the two lanes (other than the monsters available off either) and how any champ could be better suited to one over the other.

Top lane champs are usually refered to "Bruisers".

The majority of Bruisers have all or some of these
    • Some sort of sustain
    • A gap closer
    • good burst damage
    • tankiness

ADCs are usually in the Bot lane with a support. ADCs need a support because they're generally very squishy. The support usually keeps the enemies off the ADC so they don't die.

ADCs need a lot of farm, and so do bruisers, however the Bruisers don't need the peeling/babysitting an ADC needs, so they're more suited to laning alone. Support does not need farm to be useful, so they let the adc farm and protect them / harass then enemy laners.

The ADC/Support lane is bot because of dragon. Its better to have more champs down near it for when you have an opening to take it.

That's just a quick overview off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Kold wrote: »
    Just bought Zed. Holy crap I'm just raping people. I play him kinda kamikaze and end up taking out about 3 before either flashing or W-ing out or else just dying and letting my teammates push. Was finding him pretty decent top but I tried him mid and haven't lost a game yet. The utility of the shadow is so handy but waiting for the cd and managing your energy takes a little practice.

Been going long sword+2 pots> Dorans> bruta> BF> Giants belt> Cleaver> BT/Warmogs> LW

I'm ending up using my ult on people and killing them before it even goes off.

Zed can literally one shot on ADC in team fights. He's probably the most over powered Champion in the game right now (I am sure he will get a nerf). Don't want to get too mathematical on it but Zed's ultimate can essentially "double-dip" with BotRK to one-shot ADC's.

What I mean by that is his ultimate is on a timer (dealing massive dmg at the end of the timer). However, it scales with his AD (or something, not 100% sure) AND causes dmg on impact (when initially cast). If you cast his Ult and THEN use BotRK (Blade of the Ruined King) and THEN press R again you can, literally, one shot an ADC. It's completely broken right now even after BotRK nerfs.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is why you're seeing a lot of ADC's get GA vs Zed in LCS right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Let's face it - ADC's role and job requires them to go for completely raw damage alone - This means almost anyone with burst can one-shot them. I'm pretty sure my Panth can put an ADC on the run or outright kill them in a simple combo if they land it and that doesn't include ultimate.

Yeah but he can't triple blink to them and become untargetable.

• Advertisement

Saw that earlier. Her ult is mental. If she uses it on herself its basically a zonias with damage and slows...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

What I mean by that is his ultimate is on a timer (dealing massive dmg at the end of the timer). However, it scales with his AD (or something, not 100% sure) AND causes dmg on impact (when initially cast).

His ult does no damage when initially used but it creates another ghost, his W basically, then it does 100% ad + 20/35/50% of damage dealt in the time since it was cast.

n1ck wrote: »
    His ult does no damage when initially used but it creates another ghost, his W basically, then it does 100% ad + 20/35/50% of damage dealt in the time since it was cast.

Yeah so double dips with BotRK. Pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Just got raped top lane as Elise versus AP Xin Zhao - incredible sustain.

The IP boost is live btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The IP boost is live btw.

What IP boost?

tuxy wrote: »
    What IP boost?

For your next four wins you get an IP boost.

Details: The last patch (Karma rework) took over 12 hours to be applied to US. Naturally, nerd tears were shed and Reddit exploded. Riot responded by offering 4 win IP boost. Naturally, EU tears were shed and Reddit exploded. Riot responded by offering 4 win IP boost. It is now live.

For your next four wins you get an IP boost.

Details: The last patch (Karma rework) took over 12 hours to be applied to US. Naturally, nerd tears were shed and Reddit exploded. Riot responded by offering 4 win IP boost. Naturally, EU tears were shed and Reddit exploded. Riot responded by offering 4 win IP boost. It is now live.

Finally, its damn annoying that the US gets **** loads of stuff for very little hassle. While EU has to put up with crippling lag & patching issues. Its basically a meme at this stage. "Oh, the EU servers are down, better give NA free RP"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just played (and lost) my 10th ranked with 6 wins and got placed into Silver 4. A game we should have won but the Gold Elo Singed fed his top lane to a Jayce. Not bad considering i have two other friends that are both playing LoL since season 1 and are both Silver 3 and 4:D

Just played (and lost) my 10th ranked with 6 wins and got placed into Silver 4. A game we should have won but the Gold Elo Singed fed his top lane to a Jayce. Not bad considering i have two other friends that are both playing LoL since season 1 and are both Silver 3 and 4:D

Just played my first blind pick in days.... Picked Cait. Went 15/1. Got told I was bad. Final score 18/3. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Sin looks like a lot of people were getting dropped from games.

Orizio wrote: »
    Sin looks like a lot of people were getting dropped from games.

Thanks, just read apparently EU Servers are down.

EDIT: LOL indeed they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

NA

RP

You know how it goes by now. :D

Taylor365 wrote: »
    NA

RP

You know how it goes by now. :D

Considering I'm at 1K ping currently on EUW I don't think NA is a good idea. But I'll probably do it anyway :P

EDIT: Had to get an update - -;

EDIT2: better MS on NA :(

EDIT3: NA's a lot of fun to play on, lol. They're pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Borderline thinking of quiting LoL right now. How do i go from 71 points in Silver 4 to being demoted to Silver 5 in the space of 5 losses back to back. Whats my ****ing luck? I hate people

• Advertisement

Started a smurf last night. Finding it alot more enjoyable starting from scratch :)

Borderline thinking of quiting LoL right now. How do i go from 71 points in Silver 4 to being demoted to Silver 5 in the space of 5 losses back to back. Whats my ****ing luck? I hate people

It's actually you. There's 2 types of MMR/ELO in LoL. One if the public ELO/MMR you can see by looking at lolking and in-game. The other is a hidden MMR. The hidden MMR is the most important one. I've been reading constantly about people who are losing 12 points a game and gaining 3 for a win. The reason: They are in a division that is currently above their skill level (according to the game) and it's trying to find out where you belong. If you (plural) win more games you will begin to slowly increase your hidden MMR and begin to gain more LP per win and lose less for a loss.

Also, Division means nothing.

Played two games last night, both Classic 5 v 5, each time trying out a new champ.

Started off with Graves, had a great game and really enjoyed his skills, Buckshot (Q) is the business and really allowed me to farm the lane effectively. His ult is pretty cool too. I really like playing ranged champs, I like the 'sniping' experience :)

In my second game I tried Draven and that didn't go as well, wasn't helped by the fact a player with a German name disconnected immediately after his champ was first killed near the start of the game, we played on but were fighting against the tide from that point onwards. I had to solo mid lane and was repeatedly killed by the opposing champ, I just couldn't get any traction. Thought my skills were a bit weak too, even my ult.

One problem I have as a 'beginning-intermediate' player (level 12) is when following the guides, they don't map out the item progression well enough for me - I get the starting items, and the next items recommended in the guides cost 2400 or 3200 gold - I know that I should be getting intermediate items in the meantime, but am never sure what I should go for if I'm eventually planning to get The Bloodthirster or Infinity Edge or whatever! I know that my lack of knowledge is on me and I shouldn't expect to be spoon fed the info... just never have the time to research it! I'm definitely lacking in knowledgeable and know-how with regard items, as I don't think I've ever used a high-level item's active, I just never remember to do so.

This is the most infuriating thing about levelling an account. The f*cker who d/cs as soon as they die twice. Then the dick who sees that they've d/ced and d/cs themselves.

Level 16 on my Viet account now with twice as many wins as losses and I'd say that more than half the losses are simply down to leavers.

Although they may as well call free Fizz week, free smurf win week.

Played two games last night, both Classic 5 v 5, each time trying out a new champ.

Started off with Graves, had a great game and really enjoyed his skills, Buckshot (Q) is the business and really allowed me to farm the lane effectively. His ult is pretty cool too. I really like playing ranged champs, I like the 'sniping' experience :)

In my second game I tried Draven and that didn't go as well, wasn't helped by the fact a player with a German name disconnected immediately after his champ was first killed near the start of the game, we played on but were fighting against the tide from that point onwards. I had to solo mid lane and was repeatedly killed by the opposing champ, I just couldn't get any traction. Thought my skills were a bit weak too, even my ult.

One probably I have as a 'beginning-intermediate' player (level 12) is when following the guides, they don't map out the item progression well enough for me - I get the starting items, and the next items recommended in the guides cost 2400 or 3200 gold - I know that I should be getting intermediate items in the meantime, but am never sure what I should go for if I'm eventually planning to get The Bloodthirster or Infinity Edge or whatever! I know that my lack of knowledge is on me and I shouldn't expect to be spoon fed the info... just never have the time to research it! I'm definitely lacking in knowledgeable and know-how with regard items, as I don't think I've ever used a high-level item's active, I just never remember to do so.

She's expensive but I'd suggest getting Caitlyn if you like that playstyle. Also, Guides don't mean too much. It's useful at your level but most items stay the same for each role (ie; ADC, Support, Top, Mid, Jungler) so my suggestion would be to play a lot of different roles and learn the basic item layouts for each role and then familiarise yourself with them. By level 20 you'll want to be adapting to what the OTHER team/enemy laner(s) are building in order to win the game (and because Runes begin to have a major effect).

I would give Draven another chance.

Played a game last night on my main were we had a double mid and a pretty selfish jungler so i was left bot by myself. Kept up in cs by stealing golems when i could and ended up 1/0/5 20mins in by using the ult to get piggyback assists.
    Had near 50 armor pen by then. We were act winning until the trolls fell apart and engaged vs5 before any ally was near.

TIL Draven rocks.

On knowing which items to buy, its never been easier! And now with a customized item list, you can create recommend builds that show up in game. Its pretty much the same items on every role too. I used to look at guides but after awhile you know what to build and when soon enough.

Any chance you could give me a pointer on what item progression I should aim for so? I just wonder after getting the initial 'cheap' weapons and armor, what to go for before being able to afford the end-game stuff.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I would give Draven another chance.

We were act winning until the trolls fell apart and engaged vs5 before any ally was near.

You misspelled "Soloq heroes".

Any chance you could give me a pointer on what item progression I should aim for so? I just wonder after getting the initial 'cheap' weapons and armor, what to go for before being able to afford the end-game stuff.

I could tell you here but it just wouldn't be worthwhile. Add me in-game at IRLSinisteR and I'll explain many of the options available during the laning phase and why :)

As ADC,

get some damage and more attack speed. I usually try getting a vamp scepter too for sustain.

Then work towards your first major item. (IE, BORK, PD, BT) Your first major item depends totally on whats happening in game.

youll learn about item builds the more you play and will learn how to itemize depending on what the enemy is building.

• Advertisement

Korvanica wrote: »
    As ADC,

get some damage and more attack speed.

Then work towards your first major item. (IE, BORK, PD, BT) Your first major item depends totally on whats happening in game.

Unless you're Kog or Vayne, your first item should never be PD. Even if you are one of those 2, I'd go for a [zeal into BF item then finish PD] or even BotRK. An early PD isn't worth a damn unless you've some dmg to go with it.

Advertisement