Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'll try, but don't ask for details ;-) all found on google, I have a rough idea how it works:

SNR - signal-to-noise ratio, more the better, limit for QAM256 modulation is 35 dB + 3 dB for changing conditions. So you're on the limit (not good, but not very bad)

POWER (downstream) - -3 to +6 dBmv. That's a general rule. You're on -4.9 to -6.9 dBmV, so it's out of the limits. It could work, but probably combined with low SNR results as 15Mb instead of 100Mb.

If someone can correct me please do it!!

BTW, UPC upgraded my 30Mb to 50Mb minutes after my phonecall, but old router doesn't handle that, so I have no internet at home now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I'll try, but don't ask for details ;-) all found on google, I have a rough idea how it works:

SNR - signal-to-noise ratio, more the better, limit for QAM256 modulation is 35 dB + 3 dB for changing conditions. So you're on the limit (not good, but not very bad)

POWER (downstream) - -3 to +6 dBmv. That's a general rule. You're on -4.9 to -6.9 dBmV, so it's out of the limits. It could work, but probably combined with low SNR results as 15Mb instead of 100Mb.

BTW, UPC upgraded my 30Mb to 50Mb minutes after my phonecall, but old router doesn't handle that, so I have no internet at home now. :(
    Makes sense! Would explain why speeds are varying from 15mb to around 85mb or so. Still waiting on them to come back to change the outside box thing (whatever it's called) so hopefully that'll improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

can anyone on 100Mb with a wired PS3 connection tell me if they are able to achieve regular 100Mb speed tests from speedtest.upc.ie?

i can usually only manage 75-80Mb on my PS3, similar to my wired laptop connection (but that only has a 10/100 NIC, and i'm waiting to receive my gigabit ethernet expresscard). i have only ever gotten over/close to 100Mb on a couple of occasions on the PS3 and wondered if this was the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭Nollog

Made both those points thor and vibe, that was the reply to thor's.
    Still waiting on a reply to what vibe said, but only sent that about 25 hours ago.

Twitter guys must be on a break or something.

Twitter's a Godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i did it via email on a week day and although the first email took a while, the callback to my request to send it up the chain was only an hour or so i think after the email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

PrzemoF wrote: »

For downstream, the most important number is SNR. If the power level is low, it won't matter provided the background noise level is also lower than expected. A weak but clean signal can be dealt with by the modem simply by turning up the internal amplification of the signal. AKA automatic gain control. There is a limit to how weak a good signal can be compensated for by the modem but the downstream value here is not at that point so that's why the modem is working fine.

The power level is more important for Upstream. Or at least you can draw more conclusions for the upstream power value than the downstream power value. The modem can only increase power up to a point, 56dBm I think. The modem only needs to work at a fixed level of SNR, i.e. the SNR needed for 16QAM plus a small amount of margin. So its power output will be the noise value plus an extra 20dB or whatever the signal margin required is. The upstream power value is therefore basically a direct measure of how good the upstream signal is.

Long story short, upstream values below 50dBm are good. It seems like UPC's cable is hindering the downstream channels excessively compared to the upstream. Shouldn't be too hard to diagnose and find the problem and have it fixed!

Speed fluctuations probably come down to how busy the internet itself is or how busy websites are! Most websites wouldn't be setup to provide 100mb/s of their bandwidth to any one browser. And speedtest.net is sometimes not very accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭KeithM23

Had the box delivered today and after hours of phone calls am left very disappointed.

Signed up online for 100mb ad yet was put on 50mb.

Received router and a modem, unfortunately modem cant handle 50mb let alone 100mb and yet was given phone line. Fixed but was annoying.

This would all be okay if the 50mb actually worked but, Turns out speedtest.net can't calculate my upload now, it just freezes.

1377230495.png

Can only get over 1mb on a 50mb connection that's meant to be 100mb, called the guy and he said that the router had been double loaded, whatever that means hopefully it is fixed by tomorrow.

........very disappointed. Took me 3 days to get the old one working properly so.....

KeithM23 wrote: »
    ........very disappointed. Took me 3 days to get the old one working properly so.....
    fingers crossed for you mate, keep the faith, it'll all come good in the end. :)

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Finally got 100mb installed this morning! :D Installer said the signal is "shíte" in my house, but the houses either side are fine. Speed is currently running at 15meg according to speedtest.net (unreliable at best, I know)

He's said someone will be out later today to fit a new box-thing outside the house and that should fix things. He's due to call back too to run some speed tests he said.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m65/bennyx_o/Untitled-2.jpg

That's the info from the modem, all just numbers to me. Can anyone explain just how bad it is?

Cheers
    Bit of an update on this. Installer came back yesterday and installed a new box-thing on the outside of the house but as still getting a bad signal reading. Checked the houses both sides and came back and said the houses either side both have a reading of 10, but mine has a reading of -1. Another guy coming out today to check if it's a problem with the box or with the cabling either side.

On a side note, the UPC Mediabox we also had installed wont come out of standby at all. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come!

True to their word

Wireless - from a good distance
    1377935740.png

Now just have to have it upgraded to 100mb. Delighted

• Advertisement

KeithM23 wrote: »
    True to their word

Wireless - from a good distance
    1377935740.png

Now just have to have it upgraded to 100mb. Delighted
    nice one, glad you got it sorted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I've ordered the 50mb, guy rang my sister and says to have the old box ready for collection tomorrow. Does this mean I'll have to install it myself or will the guy do it. I've had bad experiences installing routers in the past.

Jet Black wrote: »
    I've ordered the 50mb, guy rang my sister and says to have the old box ready for collection tomorrow. Does this mean I'll have to install it myself or will the guy do it. I've had bad experiences installing routers in the past.
    it depends on if you ordered the self install option or an engineer install when you ordered it. :)

it's simple enough though, you just need to plug out the old router and plug in the new one. it comes with instructions and a CD and it's pretty straightforward so you should be okay.

It took mi 3 minutes (mostly waiting for the router to establish connection with the network) to have wifi up & running. I'm sure you'll be able to do it.

Bit of an update on this. Installer came back yesterday and installed a new box-thing on the outside of the house but as still getting a bad signal reading. Checked the houses both sides and came back and said the houses either side both have a reading of 10, but mine has a reading of -1. Another guy coming out today to check if it's a problem with the box or with the cabling either side.

On a side note, the UPC Mediabox we also had installed wont come out of standby at all. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come!

Another update on this. No one came on Saturday to check (didn't expect anyone to as the installer had come on the Friday without any appointment) The mediabox was still acting up so my mother called them and went through everything with them and still got nothing, so they're sending an engineer out on Wednesday to fix that and hopefully will check the point on the outside, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Decaydub

Folks, in case people haven't seen this - the notebook offer is on again at DID for new customers - http://community.did.ie/sign-up-to-upc-and-get-a-free-netbook

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭Nollog

:( Seriously, why 3 new offers not even two weeks after I upgrade?
    Space them out a little so I can feel better damnit!

Another update on this. No one came on Saturday to check (didn't expect anyone to as the installer had come on the Friday without any appointment) The mediabox was still acting up so my mother called them and went through everything with them and still got nothing, so they're sending an engineer out on Wednesday to fix that and hopefully will check the point on the outside, too.

Yet another update. Had two guys call today and they said they would sort it. They seemed to change the trunk or tappets or whatever they called them on the outside then left. I've since checked the signals on the modem and this is what I saw.

upcsignal.jpg

I'm no expert, but I can tell these are worse than what they were before (between -4.9dBmV to -6.9dBmV)

They're still due to come out tomorrow for the Mediabox, so will mention it to them. Has anyone else had any experience of low signal and how long it takes to get sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Yet another update. Had two guys call today and they said they would sort it. They seemed to change the trunk or tappets or whatever they called them on the outside then left. I've since checked the signals on the modem and this is what I saw.

They're still due to come out tomorrow for the Mediabox, so will mention it to them. Has anyone else had any experience of low signal and how long it takes to get sorted?

The power levels are within the limits of +/-15dB. Mine is at +11dB with an SNR of 41dB and its maxing the 50mb connection.

shuyin1 wrote: »
    The power levels are within the limits of +/-15dB. Mine is at +11dB with an SNR of 41dB and its maxing the 50mb connection.
    Ok, I've been going by what the installer has told me. Maybe he's more concerned with the signal at the tappets (still dunno what they're called!) being -1 for my house, but the houses either side having a signal of 10. Maybe I'm just getting wound up over nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ok, I've been going by what the installer has told me. Maybe he's more concerned with the signal at the tappets (still dunno what they're called!) being -1 for my house, but the houses either side having a signal of 10. Maybe I'm just getting wound up over nothing!
    If the neighbouring taps have a spare socket, the installer could just run a normal cable from one of the neighbouring taps and plug it into your existing cable. It's worth suggesting (even if it's a little like telling them how to do their job:))

Yeah, the figures are slightly worse but once the SNR doesn't drift towards 36dB then I still wouldn't be too concerned.

Let us know how it works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Got the 50mb and seems to be working fine. Just wondering, when I was connecting via wifi there is 2 options to connect to, one has the SSID filled in and there is another one that's blank. I filled on the SSID on the blank one just to see and it connected. Is it on a different ip or something?

Got the 50mb and seems to be working fine. Just wondering, when I was connecting via wifi there is 2 options to connect to, one has the SSID filled in and there is another one that's blank. I filled on the SSID on the blank one just to see and it connected. Is it on a different ip or something?

Probably your computer allowing you to specify a network that may be hidden or it couldn't find, nothing to fear I believe.

Tried to upgrade to 100mb for 10euro after having upgraded to 50mb and phone but was told that this was a deal exclusive to newcomers and I would have to pay 20euro extra. Even though email told me it was an offer for my loyalty. Anyone else get this?

It might be G band and N "band" separately. I have my laptop connected twice to the same SSID. One connection is 54Mb/s (built-in G wifi) another is 150Mb/s (usb wifi N dongle).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Placed my order for 100mb today. They said I would need an engineer to install in at a cost of €40. I already have 30mb and they replaced a load of stuff when I got that in so what exactly is the €40 for? The guy on the phone said it was because it was sooo fast....I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

LoGiE wrote: »
    Placed my order for 100mb today. They said I would need an engineer to install in at a cost of €40. I already have 30mb and they replaced a load of stuff when I got that in so what exactly is the €40 for? The guy on the phone said it was because it was sooo fast....I laughed.

Well, he's right. :pac:

The €40 is to cover the cost of the new Thomson modem. The previous Cisco EPC2425 and Scientific Atlanta 2203 modems are not capable of 100mb speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I replaced 30mb with 50mb last month, they sent out the new modem and I plugged it in myself for no charge.

it could well be THIS that the Dutchies were going on about when they first got the Thompson over there.

it seems like they patched it over there, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was patched on the firmware they are using here too.

i just checked mine and it's definitely also transmitting the 2nd hidden SSID when i turn on the wireless on my thompson and interestingly enough, also seems to be following/shadowing the wireless channel and frequency of the main SSID of the router, even hopping over to 5Ghz when i switch the wireless over from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz in the settings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

roast wrote: »
    Well, he's right. :pac:

The €40 is to cover the cost of the new Thomson modem. The previous Cisco EPC2425 and Scientific Atlanta 2203 modems are not capable of 100mb speeds.

He could have just said it was the cost of the modem :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He could have just said it was the cost of the modem :rolleyes:

I thought the €20 was for the engineer and the other €20 the router, = €40

€20 of which is taken off if you decide to do a self install (if you were with UPC before and only need to change router/modem). Then again they seem to tell different people different stories quite frequently.

Advertisement