Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭Nollog

letitroll wrote: »
    OVH??? what does that mean

so anyone get full 50mb down on hotfile/fileserve

A giant in Continental European Server Hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi sorry if this is the wrong place but I really need an answer and my brain is fried!!

We're looking to change from eircom to UPC - going to get the 50mb broadband with anytime world phone.

I have a few questions about this.

If I do it online does it mean I have to self install? If so how do I do this? I'm worried I won't be able to! We currently have eircom broadband and phone. Does another line need to be installed for UPC?? Is it just a case of connecting the new UPC router to the mains and then the eircom broadband is disconnected?

Also we'd want yo keep our landline number and I know there is a porting form on the UPC website - do you fill this out after you have signed up for the phone and broadband?

Sorry but I am clueless when it comes to these things and I hate hassle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

This is somewhat suited to this thread so I'll post it here instead of starting a new one!

I'm getting the UPC 100mb and Freetime World installed on Wednesday. There's 3 TV points in the house (one point was split into two in the attic if you get me) First thing I'm wondering is would the split on the point affect the speed of the broadband? I'm assuming it will. Second thing, I've no wireless on my PC, and was looking into a wireless n usb adapter. Would there be much speed loss using the USB adapter as opposed to a PCI card?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

bennyx_o wrote: »
    This is somewhat suited to this thread so I'll post it here instead of starting a new one!

I'm getting the UPC 100mb and Freetime World installed on Wednesday. There's 3 TV points in the house (one point was split into two in the attic if you get me) First thing I'm wondering is would the split on the point affect the speed of the broadband? I'm assuming it will. Second thing, I've no wireless on my PC, and was looking into a wireless n usb adapter. Would there be much speed loss using the USB adapter as opposed to a PCI card?

Cheers!

Hi Benny,

The split will not affect the actual speed on the line or at least it doesn't in my house. As for the Wireless N, you get a free usb adapter when the technician comes out to install it but if you are not planning on using the 100mb via an ethernet wire then just go with the 50mb as chances are you will only reach maximum speed of about 50-60mb using the usb key

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi sorry if this is the wrong place but I really need an answer and my brain is fried!!

We're looking to change from eircom to UPC - going to get the 50mb broadband with anytime world phone.

I have a few questions about this.

If I do it online does it mean I have to self install? If so how do I do this? I'm worried I won't be able to! We currently have eircom broadband and phone. Does another line need to be installed for UPC?? Is it just a case of connecting the new UPC router to the mains and then the eircom broadband is disconnected?

Also we'd want yo keep our landline number and I know there is a porting form on the UPC website - do you fill this out after you have signed up for the phone and broadband?

Sorry but I am clueless when it comes to these things and I hate hassle!!
    I'm not sure what you mean there by the mains - if you're talking about the power supply of the router, you can leave the eircom one plugged in or not, whatever you want (but it makes sense to plug it out if you're not using it!)

If I recall, application for porting your existing number comes after you get the UPC installed. But you can call them up on 1908 (free) and ask to be put through to sales or maybe the customer support people will tell you straight-off. The direct sales number is 1890 940 070.

The big question here is Do you already have UPC for TV or is there a UPC point already installed for TV in the past? UPC won't have anything to do with phone lines but if you never had UPC then a technician will have to call out and run a new cable into your house or at least connect up the existing cables outside the house. Much like a Sky install, but without the dish of course:)

If you have a house alarm connected to e.g. phonewatch, you'll need to get the alarm fitted with a GSM module so it doesn't need a phone line. Straightforward to arrange and have installed but you have to pay for it. The upc router supplies the phone socket and it's not usually easy to run wires from an alarm to the UPC router!

I don't know about self-installing only when you order online but that's another simple thing to ask them on the phone.

Simply put, your best bet is to call UPC themselves and get the answers from the horse's mouth!

• Advertisement

GiddyUp86 wrote: »
    Hi Benny,

The split will not affect the actual speed on the line or at least it doesn't in my house. As for the Wireless N, you get a free usb adapter when the technician comes out to install it but if you are not planning on using the 100mb via an ethernet wire then just go with the 50mb as chances are you will only reach maximum speed of about 50-60mb using the usb key
    If the split wont affect the speed, I can have the modem/router beside the PC, but if not, I'll either get some HomePlugs or run ethernet cable through the attic. Was just looking for a temporary solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

The various packages offered by UPC look like a worthwhile deal. I'm currently with Imagine, on WiMax. The phone performance has been abysmal ever since I made the switch. It's interesting to note the necessity to cancel the mandate as well as the DD. My contract doesn't expire till Aug/Sept but I feel I'm not obliged to adhere to the contract as Imagine haven't fulfilled their part of the contract. Should I worry about having the phone number ported from them to UPC - can they refuse to make the necessary switch?

Does UPC use the traditional phone line to provide my phone connection or does everything come through the co-ax cable? My old NTL cable box up on the outside wall was disconnected several years ago when I installed satellite TV. I presume a service technician will have to reconnect this, even though I've opted for self-instal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

ttenneb wrote: »
    Does UPC use the traditional phone line to provide my phone connection or does everything come through the co-ax cable? My old NTL cable box up on the outside wall was disconnected several years ago when I installed satellite TV. I presume a service technician will have to reconnect this, even though I've opted for self-instal.

Everything comes through the coax. The installer will come and sort it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Yes he will have to reconnect it and probably install the newer upc boxes that go onto the walls, The have to replace the outdated ones.

Also the phone goes through your modem

• Advertisement

Anything's got to be better than the quality of my phone, using WiMax. Since the day it was installed I've had to contend with distortion on the line. All sort of remedies, including using a new phone were to no avail. Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

bennyx_o wrote: »
    If the split wont affect the speed, I can have the modem/router beside the PC, but if not, I'll either get some HomePlugs or run ethernet cable through the attic. Was just looking for a temporary solution.

Benny, at the rate the data travels through the cable you should have no problem getting the full 100-105mb speeds downstream. I rent the place I am in now but if I was moving house, I would make sure that the UPC 100mb line or at least 50mb was available. I have previously been with wimax, Eircom and BT/Vodafone and I can honestly say their connections are very poor -vs- the UPC one BUT in saying that, I did have 4 days in the past 4 months of being with UPC where I actually couldn't even get over 10mb speed and they denied it was a problem on their end but there were 6 UPC vans at the exchange in the area the day the problem was resolved! I was not impressed but I still would never go with any other provider!

Has anyone else had a problem where their thomson modem reboots every time they turn on their PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Hi Folks

All this talk of high speeds is making me jealous! For the last few years I was with a local wireless provider with just 1mb upload! In fairness it was all I could get , stupid Eircom still havent enabled our area (just 1km from a town) and probably never will. Recently my providers have upped it to 4mb and reduced the price, which is still €29pm though.

My question is, what do I need to get UPC.....is it relying on Eircom lines cos if so Im fecked!! i wud probably take the phone as well.

thanks

h

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

hawthorn wrote: »
    Hi Folks

All this talk of high speeds is making me jealous! For the last few years I was with a local wireless provider with just 1mb upload! In fairness it was all I could get , stupid Eircom still havent enabled our area (just 1km from a town) and probably never will. Recently my providers have upped it to 4mb and reduced the price, which is still €29pm though.

My question is, what do I need to get UPC.....is it relying on Eircom lines cos if so Im fecked!! i wud probably take the phone as well.

thanks

h

UPC doesnt rely on phone cables,its fiber cable that is run from the big square shores outside your house...Your estate needs to be enabled though

Hopefully UPC are in your area and you will never have to worry about Eircon again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

GiddyUp86 wrote: »
    you get a free usb adapter when the technician comes out to install it
    that's very much pot luck if you get one or not, i didn't and plenty of others didn't too. :(

you can pick one up for 20 quid tho just about anywhere tat does electronics.

if you think that range might be an issue, try and find one with an external antenna socket so you can give it a boost if you need to.

Thanks Kev.
    I have a funny feeling that my estate is not enabled...... I'll give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I just ordered upgrade 30/3Mb -> 50/5Mb (it will be roughly the same price). I'll get a new thomson wifi N router. Is it any good? The cisco router that I got with 30Mb package was the worst wifi router I've ever had and I had to bridge it with my own dlink router to be able to use wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 noclue1

Maybe not the right place but here goes.

Moved into a new apartment UPC gear is already in there no doubt in the previous tenants names who I have been informed have an outstanding bill and as they've moved back to the UK i'm guessing no intention to pay. Their service is still working TV & Internet and I can use it.

What do you think will I continue to watch the telly and surf the net till I they cut off the service then ring up and ask for a new contract in my name? Any downsides?

Sadly I was right. Not in Birr, and no immediate plans. No Eircom broadband either. :mad:

h

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I just got a UPC 25mb line today. Hooked it up. Used a regular coax cable to bring the connection into my kicthen (the wires upc gave werent long enough)

I am only maxing out about 1.1mb a second. Knowing its a 25mb line I should be getting anything between 2mb and 2.5.

is this normal? ... or is it because i used a regular coax cable i got from an aerial kit? (coax is coax i thought)

noclue1 wrote: »
    What do you think will I continue to watch the telly and surf the net till I they cut off the service then ring up and ask for a new contract in my name? Any downsides?
    technically speaking (not judging, just saying), you're talking about theft of service and nobody here is going to be able to help you with something like that on an open forum.

my best advice would be to contact UPC and tell them you just moved in and it was on when you got there and can it be switched over to you as you'd like to sign up as a new customer (without inheriting the old customer's bills) and that the old tenants have done a bunk and left the country. :)

LighterGuy wrote: »
    is this normal? ... or is it because i used a regular coax cable i got from an aerial kit? (coax is coax i thought)
    there's definitely different grades of coax cable, i know from having used cheap cable for a tv extension point for my sky box and then having to fork out for some decent grade cable to replace it when the signal was crappy.

the only way to tell for sure will be to try it at the UPC cable point and see what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭KeithM23

Hello, need a bit of help here.

Spoiler contains my life story, be warned.
    Have been with UPC now for a full year after 8mb eircom connection couldn't reach 1mb for over 2 months, switched to UPCs 30mb for practically the same price 49.75 a month, but left the phone with eircom.

Have always believed that Eircom were the phone people, Sky the tv people and now after a year of flawless service UPC the internet people.

Am relatively happy with everything until UPC send me a text saying check my inbox, I do and I find that they are offering 50mb and home phone for 47 euro, 2 euro less than just the 30mb. The home phone package they offer is even slighty better than my current eircom one which is talktime with friends. So all in all I would end up saving 38 euro, is this really, really for real? Where is the catch?

Couldn't find one so headed online to see, saw their anytime world for 5 euro extra and 100mb for extra 10 and decided to treat myself as I once went over the 250gb usage allowance by, yes 250 gb (good times).

So i am now saving 23 euro after switching phone to upc alongside upgrading 30mb to 100mb so am basically wondering, what UPC tv is like? Is it a steal as well? Would love to give it a go but have heard stories and am currently on a killer sky package at 1/2 price thanks to trying to cancel, would upc offer any discounts for me chancing my arm even further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

UPC have a weak tv lineup compared to Sky. Their new CEO has admitted that. No point switching if you have Sky or better yet half price Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭KeithM23

aphex™ wrote: »
    UPC have a weak tv lineup compared to Sky. Their new CEO has admitted that. No point switching if you have Sky or better yet half price Sky.

Yea, only thing is I took a list of channels the family watches and their all there, mostly internet is used in house with 5 computers so not big on tv really so if a saving was possible it would be the selling point.

Will take your advice though and stay with sky for now.

Ref: [number]

Dear [person],

Thank you for your recent email.

Please be advised that the offer for no standalone charge on the purchase of TV and Phone is only for the new customer from 9th May 2011.

Please also be advised that as you are an existing customer availing Broadband from [date]2010 and as the Telephone is been installed on [date]2011 a Broadband standalone fee for €7.75 will be charged.

I wish to inform you that if you go for Television service Broadband standalone

charge will be waved off.
    I hope this is to your satisfaction and thank you for your valued custom.

For more helpful information, please visit the

Customer Support section of our website.
    If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to

contact us.
    Kind regards,

Rajiv
    Going to try to talk to an Irish person on... *shivers* twitter tomorrow.
    If I have any trouble with them, please comment below saying if your standalone charge has been waived so I can give them the old equality speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

/\/ollog wrote: »
    If I have any trouble with them, please comment below saying if your standalone charge has been waived so I can give them the old equality speech.

I love that they continulissly argue these points when most if not all people who have been informed that it's "Only new customers" end up getting the standalone charge removed anyway"

Also I must to note that under then own terms and conditions it clearly states this.

" A standalone charge of €7.75 applies to all broadband packs and is in addition to the prices shown here. This charge is not applicable if broadband is taken with a UPC TV or Phone service"

Nowhere mentioning it's for new customers only, Meaning if you get there 12Mbps, 25Mbps, 50Mbps or 100Mbps then you are now apart of the terms and condition brought with this packages and the terms and condition clearly state there is no broadband standalone charge if you have tv services!!

It boggles the mind how these people think!!

I got the standalone charge removed by just telling them it was clearly there by mistake, They removed it straight away and even credited my account straight away!!

/\/ollog wrote: »
    i got the same thing, told them (via email) that it was not acceptable and to put me on to someone who could fix it and got a callback within an hour from customer loyalty to say it was all sorted (they fecked up the bundle thing as well) and that i'd have a credit on my account the next month.

its not right that you have to complain to get it fixed, but if you do then they will so it's no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Thor wrote: »
    I love that they continulissly argue these points when most if not all people who have been informed that it's "Only new customers" end up getting the standalone charge removed anyway"

Also I must to note that under then own terms and conditions it clearly states this.

" A standalone charge of €7.75 applies to all broadband packs and is in addition to the prices shown here. This charge is not applicable if broadband is taken with a UPC TV or Phone service"

Nowhere mentioning it's for new customers only, Meaning if you get there 12Mbps, 25Mbps, 50Mbps or 100Mbps then you are now apart of the terms and condition brought with this packages and the terms and condition clearly state there is no broadband standalone charge if you have tv services!!

It boggles the mind how these people think!!

I got the standalone charge removed by just telling them it was clearly there by mistake, They removed it straight away and even credited my account straight away!!

It probably doesn't apply for customers who haven't signed a new contract since that was brought in for instance my family havent signed a new contract in 6/7 years we just keep getting upgrades way after everyone else but it doesn't bother us.

• Advertisement

Finally got 100mb installed this morning! :D Installer said the signal is "shíte" in my house, but the houses either side are fine. Speed is currently running at 15meg according to speedtest.net (unreliable at best, I know)

He's said someone will be out later today to fit a new box-thing outside the house and that should fix things. He's due to call back too to run some speed tests he said.

Untitled-2.jpg

That's the info from the modem, all just numbers to me. Can anyone explain just how bad it is?

Cheers

Advertisement