Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I just got off the phone with UPC, I asked for the 5oMB upgrade, I'm currently on 30Mb so that should mean that they would boost me up to 50 for free.

I got the brush off so I asked to be put through to loyalty, she wouldn't put me through at all. I told her that they had only 3 packages not, she told me that the packages started at 12Mb. WTF is going on??
    I told her I'd call back. Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I just got off the phone with UPC, I asked for the 5oMB upgrade, I'm currently on 30Mb so that should mean that they would boost me up to 50 for free.

I got the brush off so I asked to be put through to loyalty, she wouldn't put me through at all. I told her that they had only 3 packages not, she told me that the packages started at 12Mb. WTF is going on??
    I told her I'd call back. Anyone got any ideas?

Fire off a concerned email to them, and hint at getting a call-back from the loyalty department.

roast wrote: »
    Fire off a concerned email to them, and hint at getting a call-back from the loyalty department.

Yep I was pretty pissed at the response, I told her I didn't find this response satisfactory, after all plenty of guys here have been put straight through to loyalty.
    Contract is up on the 22 of july, looks like I'll have to cancel and organise a new contract afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

is this thread going off topic - given that Vodafone was the ISP in question?

Any news on the firmware update?

They are coming out on Wednesday to replace my modem, Due to the fact no one there knows how to update the firmware.

Hopefully the new modem has the new firmware on it or i will be going through this entire mess again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Yep I was pretty pissed at the response, I told her I didn't find this response satisfactory, after all plenty of guys here have been put straight through to loyalty.
    Contract is up on the 22 of july, looks like I'll have to cancel and organise a new contract afterwards.

look for upc help account on twitter , pm them with ur account number , they will actually get customer loyality to ring you, thats what i did to upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hugorudd

I grabbed the 50mb/s and have been overall impressed with the whole experience. Kit arrived a day early, straight up to 23mb/s and after a bit of tweaking by UPC over the weekend, getting every drop of 49mb/s.

One concern I did have was their DNS, which seems pretty awful. Slow page seeks were resolved with OpenDNS.

Anyone else with this bugbear?

j4vier wrote: »
    look for upc help account on twitter , pm them with ur account number , they will actually get customer loyality to ring you, thats what i did to upgrade

What should I say in the DM?

hugorudd wrote: »
    I grabbed the 50mb/s and have been overall impressed with the whole experience. Kit arrived a day early, straight up to 23mb/s and after a bit of tweaking by UPC over the weekend, getting every drop of 49mb/s.

One concern I did have was their DNS, which seems pretty awful. Slow page seeks were resolved with OpenDNS.

Anyone else with this bugbear?

Yep the DNS servers seem to always be under full load. When I lived in sandyford both dns servers were always going down.
    I suggest you get the IPs of some free dns servers and substitute when they go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

grc have a nice dns benchmarking tool to test the speed of various dns servers from your connection.

http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

i run it periodically and put the 3 fastest results as my dns servers on my router and its worked well for me so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Nollog

Anyone with the Thompson router can tell me if there's a bandwidth monitor for usage on it?
    If not, reccommendations for windows programs to give me a rough idea of my useage?

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Anyone with the Thompson router can tell me if there's a bandwidth monitor for usage on it?
    If not, reccommendations for windows programs to give me a rough idea of my useage?
    that was one of the reasons for using my own router with the thompson, along with a few other advanced features the thompson doesn't have.

in my pre router bandwidth monitoring days, i always used DU Meter (it's a paid app with a free trial, but there's plenty of free alternatives in a similar vein) to keep an eye on things, but its usefulness diminished once i had multiple machines to monitor and not all of them were windows so something router based was the only way to go for me.

HA, Technician due today, So what do you know!!

UPC disconnect me!!!!!

for not paying a bill that isn't even due yet!!! The due date for the bill isn't until next week as they extended because of the issues i had before i even got the 100Mb line. Funny thing is, They added the €20 install charge a month before i even got the 100Mb up and running and also they were charging me for the phone line aswell!!

Absolute disgraceful behaviour from UPC. So i rang them there and they said they extended the suspension date by one week. Even though it wasn't suppose to happen until next week!!

Getting fed up with the problems these people keep on giving me!!

Thor wrote: »
    Getting fed up with the problems these people keep on giving me!!
    it's pretty poor alright, but keep your chin up, it'll all be worth it in the end. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's pretty poor alright, but keep your chin up, it'll all be worth it in the end. :)

Yeah I'm hoping so but here is some more bad news!!!

Technician came, I was on the impression that he was here to replace the router like UPC told me he was going to do on the phone!!!

BUT NO!!!!!!!!!!

Simple maintenance guy doesn't carry the Thomson modems!!! apparently they aren't allowed yet!!(What he said). So he came and left and nothing done!!

So yet another day waiting around for UPC for nothing!!!!

If upc want to loose a a customer permanently, They are on the right track!!!

I got 100mb installed today.
    I broke my router so I can't monitor my bandwidth using that anymore.
    I have others but I'd take a rough idea over a router simply to monitor my bandwidth precisely.

I got 100mb installed today.
    I broke my router so I can't monitor my bandwidth using that anymore.
    I have others but I'd take a rough idea over a router simply to monitor my bandwidth precisely.

hey nollog, Any chance you could check what firmware your router has, Want to see if newly installed routers come with new firmware or if it is updated automatically afterwards.

You can check it here http://192.168.100.1/HardwareInfo.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

UPC finally started accepting orders here in D15 today (After five years mind you...). I ordered 50MB and apparently a courier will be around to me tomorrow to deliver the modem.

I'm still unsure as to what I should do to port my number from Vodafone to UPC. Is it:
    1. Wait for the modem/router to be installed
    2. Wait for the service to be activated
    3. Fill in the form online on UPC's website for porting the number

Do I have that right? I have no need to cancel manually with Vodafone, do I?

hey nollog, Any chance you could check what firmware your router has, Want to see if newly installed routers come with new firmware or if it is updated automatically afterwards.

You can check it here http://192.168.100.1/HardwareInfo.asp

Software Build and Revisions
    Firmware Name TWG870U-BA.01.36-110429-F-1C1.bin
    Firmware Build Time 14:45:07 Fri Apr 29 2011

Software Build and Revisions
    Firmware Name TWG870U-BA.01.36-110429-F-1C1.bin
    Firmware Build Time 14:45:07 Fri Apr 29 2011

Cheers man!!

Just had the technician out there, Came with the replacement modem in his hand, Same guy from yesterday, Which was great because it meant i didnt need to explain the issue to anyone again. Anyway, He swapped out the modem, Did the magic which his android app to switch the mac address's!!

Said it could take sometime!!!

So while waiting, I decided to check the firmware!! Still the same old STBA.01.05 firmware from back in December 2009!! So i assumed it would have to update then!!

IT DID!!!!!!!!!!!

Box now has STB9.01.30!! which is dated October 2010!!!! Only problem is the box is still offline and still waiting for the damn telephone light to come one!!!

Here is something even more odd!! This box is older than the one i had by 4 months, Its manufacture date is 10/2010 which my older(No updated one) was 02/2011, So not sure if that had a part in it not being able to update its firmware!!

Anyway, I'm just waiting for it to provision fully and to test to see if everything is okay, Which i believe it will be!!!

Is there a default username and password for the thompson router?

• Advertisement

Is there a default username and password for the thompson router?

blank username and admin is the password

So router finally provisioned and to my surprise it updated yet again!!!

Finally on the newest firmware which is STBA.01.36 dated April 29th 2011!

Also the problem i was having is no longer happening, Which makes me think it was the old firmware i was using.

Not sure if that box was just broken and couldn't accept new firmware updates, But at least now the problem no longer exists!!!

Mine took a while to provision too, the guy was cool and stayed for a good hour waiting for it to light up, not 2 minutes after he left it finished.

blank username and admin is the password

Cheers mate!
    Installed the router but still getting 30Mb DL and UL speeds, gave them a ring and was told they would contact me in an hour....that was 2 hours ago ^ ^.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

Going to get UPC 50mb here in swords,I see some rumbles about traffic shaping on here I use hot file/fileserve fairly regularly how you guys find it????

Haven't used torrents how are they on UPC these days

letitroll wrote: »
    Going to get UPC 50mb here in swords,I see some rumbles about traffic shaping on here I use hot file/fileserve fairly regularly how you guys find it????

Haven't used torrents how are they on UPC these days

They mainly only shape OVH downloads.
    Most problems with semi-ddl services are problems on the other end, not UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

They mainly only shape OVH downloads.
    Most problems with semi-ddl services are problems on the other end, not UPC.

OVH??? what does that mean

so anyone get full 50mb down on hotfile/fileserve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I get full speeds on hotfile and rapidshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The only OVH I know of is a major European web host. All I know about them is they hosted (Continue to host?) Wikileaks' website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

ttcomet wrote: »
    Anyone else get charged two activation fees? Looks like they charged me for the phone and the broadband where as I thought there would only be the one for the bundle.

I finally got the extra fee refunded. They will take it off the next bill.

Advertisement