Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

jor el wrote:
    The stand alone charge of €7.75 is actually now a stand alone charge. If you get more than one product (like broadband and phone) then you don't pay it at all.

Do you have a source for this ? When I phoned them today the UPC representative I spoke to insisted that this was not the case. As did the UPC customer loyalty person.

When I checked the first time with UPC customer support, I got the reply:
    I can confirm that the offer of no broadband standalone fee is for new customers only, I can confirm that existing customers are being charged for this.

I called up to confirm this, stating that I could save myself the fee by cancelling my contract (I'm out of contract anyway) and signing up again as a new customer. I was promptly transferred to customer loyalty and they tried to sign me up to a new, higher package.

I argued the point that I wouldn't need the higher speed, or the additional calls and that my existing package would be sufficient (but without the Standalone charge, please).

After some wrangling and manouevering attempts by Customer Loyalty to move me to the higher package, they said that I could keep the lower package (12 Mbps, basic phone) and they would remove the Standalone charge if I signed up for another 12 months.

Done deal. Thank you very much - but only because I was prepared with the facts of the matter from their own web site.
    upc.ie wrote:
    A standalone charge of €7.75 applies to all broadband packs and is in addition to the prices shown here. This charge is not applicable if broadband is taken with a UPC TV or Phone service. link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Just want to add to this stand alone charge thing, I spoke to Customer care a few days ago about upgrading to 100mbps, and they said it'll only be ready in my part of Limerick in 2-3 months, and I queried about the standalone charge being dropped and the lady told me that its going to be "phased out" and should be gone when i upgrade. (im out of contract now but on the 20mbps stand alone package)

Im not sure if she was only saying that to make me happy or not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

When I checked the first time with UPC customer support, I got the reply:

When I spoke to them on the phone, they confirmed that the total price was €57. No mention of the stand alone charge. The charge is gone according to their own site, and the Twitter feed from last week and earlier this week. I'll be watching the first bill to make sure of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Just got the automated call for my installation on Saturday, seeing all these reports of the engie coming out with no modem worries me... when they ring in advance im going to say it straight out to him about the modem to make sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

just of the phone from them and they said this is not availible for existing customers!!

said to ring back tomorrow and speak to the retention unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I feel like i want to stab everyone who was able to get there 100Mb line installed today!!!!

DAMN AUTOMATED SYSTEM..

Be careful people, even if it says your house can get it, There is a chance it cannot. While mine is probably only a week or two away from people ready(Hopefully sooner)

This still can cause problems for some people like me taken a day off work for the technicians to get here.

Has anyone else had this problem. I know they technicians have to come out and check the lines to see if they can take, My problem was that the new lines aren't even active yet, Meaning it was a complete waste of time.

Rant over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

skelliser wrote: »
    just of the phone from them and they said this is not availible for existing customers!!

said to ring back tomorrow and speak to the retention unit.

Someone in UPC Management needs to get the finger out, get off their arxx or whatever. Its insane the way existing 'valued' customers are having to protest (in the majority of those who have provided feedback on this forum) before they are eventually given what they want to pay for. More UPC internal training needed (as it can be a bit hit & miss in terms of your experience depending on who you talk with at the initial point of contact in sales).

There's no way existing customers should be treated so poorly & be made what feels like 'jump through hoops' in order to get a particular service. There's also no way that 'Engineers' should be arriving with incorrect install details, without the required hardware etc..

Don't get me wrong - these new products / offerings are very good & I admire the company for probably doing more than they actually have to (considering their serious lack of competition) but as ever Sales / Cust Service definately need more work on them.

Thor wrote: »
    I feel like i want to stab everyone who was able to get there 100Mb line installed today!!!!

DAMN AUTOMATED SYSTEM..

Be careful people, even if it says your house can get it, There is a chance it cannot. While mine is probably only a week or two away from people ready(Hopefully sooner)

This still can cause problems for some people like me taken a day off work for the technicians to get here.

Has anyone else had this problem. I know they technicians have to come out and check the lines to see if they can take, My problem was that the new lines aren't even active yet, Meaning it was a complete waste of time.

Rant over!!

Sorry for how things went for you Thor.

I know I'd be pretty peeved too.

I'm due for 100Mb install this Sat, & I am excited (I know we're a big feckin bunch of geeks :D) but I'm not getting over excited until the job is done etc..

Hang in there anyway & stay away from reading this forum for a few weeks (if you can pull your self away - its good reading how the success stories have gone for some so far though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

IDIOTS! - this is a PR disaster!

There are many ways of looking at this.
    Yes you can advertise the new 'teaser' rates to get new customers, and leave existing customers on the current package
    or
    You could write out to all existing customers informing them that out of their loyalty to the company you will be offering them 'more for less' or whatever new favourable terms. The reason why you would do this is because word of mouth from the existing customers and the good publicity will get more people discussing your price plans. This will make it easier to attract new customers.

But they've gone for the first option and managed to get people's back up!
    In my opinion, the Marketing Manager should be removed from their position for this cock-up.
    Also they should have updated this page http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/ - where it says
    Areas in blue will be able to get TV, Fibre Power Broadband and Home Phone by the end of 2010.
    before this offer was made, so that people would know what area was covered. Instead they had their Customer Service teams being inundated with calls from people that could not avail of the offer.
    Now the design of that page was updated in recent weeks, so why wouldn't they have updated the content - it looks incompetent.
    There is no mention of the Work they did around the Coombe earlier this year or around Donnybrook in at the minute - its a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My speeds have actually gone down. When I was on 20mb my speeds were never below 18mb. Now I'm on 25mb, done a speedtest three times since I got it and they've all been below 17mb and I have restarted the router.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Engineer waited over an hour for the new modem to 'initialise' and no sign so he's calling back in the morning, in the meantime the modem came online with the following results (Cat6E)
    1293039415.png

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

fionny wrote: »
    Just got the automated call for my installation on Saturday, seeing all these reports of the engie coming out with no modem worries me... when they ring in advance im going to say it straight out to him about the modem to make sure!

Just got mine too myself...(its like dangling a carrot in front of a Donkey......that doesn't say much for me does it ;))

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Ive been trying to get info on weather the upgrades are available in my area by using the new chat function on their site. Was told to ring 1908. Would rather know before ringing to save the hassle.

Anyone here from Greystones give me a heads up?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Alas...no modems available here in Mullingar either....and no record of my BB upgrade on worksheet - just a new phone which I had specifically told them I did not require when I ordered.....my 100mb put back until next Tuesday now...Oh Dear.....knew it was too good to be true....while they seem to be answering the phones quicker from a customer service point of view, the breakdown in communications seems to be on the installations side now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

This is in Tallaght, ping time and upload not too clever

1293146679.png

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've ordered an upgrade to 50Mb and had been told the modem would be couriered out but have also received a call (and a confirmation) giving an appointment for a tech visit tomorrow (the day they expected the courier to call).

Is it confusion or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The UPC installer who came out to do the 100mb Broadband today thought he was installing digital boxes as well, we got those yesterday! Seems a bit all over the place.

Speeds not great here in Clondalkin yet.

1293185694.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

stimpson wrote: »
    What is your wireless (g or n)?

What speed is your belkin rated at?

Wireless is N
    Using Belkin network mains adapters. They are rated at 200mbps.
    I thought it may be because there was 3 of them. But its the same with just the pair.
    M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Change the wireless channel from Auto to something else,

The wireless on its own is not getting past 30 .

With both wireless & belkin adapters connected on my PC I have got full speed
    1293171439.png
    Its not consistent though. Should these 2 network connections be bridged? Or would that make any difference?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Amazing offers, pity my housemates watch tv or id get the 100meg + phone for 57....which is what I pay for 20+tv now. Wish there was a good tv+net deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

Amazing offers, pity my housemates watch tv or id get the 100meg + phone for 57....which is what I pay for 20+tv now. Wish there was a good tv+net deal

http://www.upc.ie/deals/tvbroadbandphone/fibrepowerultimate/
    Extra Options
    Double your speed to 100Mb €10.00 extra a month

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

thanks but too poor for 85 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fitzy94

So i ring Upc After reading this thread ,thinking id have to argue my way into an upgrade to 50mb so i ask him can i upgrade and he just said YES and said he would ring back later with details about the sending of modem ........but they never called ....should i ring them or just wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Shred

Registered though http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/ last night, got a call this afternoon and mentioned I wanted 100Mb + Anytime World phone (phone is currently with UTV) expecting to have to argue but the price was confirmed as €62 without issue and the €40 install charge waived as I'm a boards user. I was given a Saturday afternoon install time & got the automated confirmation call around 5; really couldn't have been easier!

Currently I pay €41.75 for UPC 20Mb and €25.36 line rental to UTV plus calls (€15 average); so I'm saving a minimum of €15 but I can make calls all day (wife due a baby shortly and will be home all day) and my BB will be 5 times the speed! Awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

thanks but too poor for 85 :D

Me too. Tempting though isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I pay €65 per month for UPC's basic TV package and 10mb BB (at least, that's what it says on my bill, but it may have been updated to 30mb recently? Not certain.)

Just noticed I can get a better TV package and 25mb Fibre BB and a free phone service for the same price! Hope they allow existing customers upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

KoolKid wrote: »
    Wireless is N
    Using Belkin network mains adapters. They are rated at 200mbps.
    I thought it may be because there was 3 of them. But its the same with just the pair.
    both wireless & wired powerline adapter performance is going to depend very much on local interference.

in the case of wireless, it's anything from other wifi networks to microwaves, video senders, cordless phones, bluetooth, baby monitors & just about anything else that creates EM interference on 2.4Ghz.

did you try doing a wireless survey of your house by walking to each window (upstairs & down if applicable) using inSSIDer to look for other wifi networks? you'll want to put your own wireless network on the channel with the least interference from other wireless, the one that is quietest and furthest away from other networks, inSSIDer will show you which ones are where and where their frequency is touching yours.

the speed you'll get from powerline adapters is subject to the quality of the electrical cables & any interference from anything plugged into it.

speed will drop the further apart the adapters are, particularly if one plug socket is on a different fuse to the other.

cheap CFL bulbs will trash the speed totally as well as they create a lot of interference. you'll also find that just like wifi mfg's, powerline adapter mfg's are very liberal with their quoted speeds and fail to mention all of the above info most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Brian017

For those who upgraded to the 50mb package did your old UPC Connection go down? my old 30mb connection doesn't work anymore. I was told it would take 3 working days for my new modem to arrive? Am I without broadband til Monday or Tuesday until it arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Hope they allow existing customers upgrade.

Yes they do, just ask for the loyalty department as the sales and customer services people don't the authority to change your package. You don't even have to kick up a fuss really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Tony wrote: »
    This is in Tallaght, ping time and upload not too clever

1293146679.png

Please say it has improved. I'm getting my BB and phone installed tomorrow, Also in Tallaght, Jobstown, Area. My Estate was just upgraded to Fibre a week or so ago. Was looking forward to lighting fast Broadband:D

Advertisement