Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

atgate wrote: »
    Bit OT but does anyone know off the top of their heads if you can connect a USB hard drive to the Thomson box?

Apparently not. There is a USB host On the back but no support for NAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Tony wrote: »
    Just got a call from techinical supprt. They are trying to blame my network card for the slower than expected upload speed and want me to call their PC support line at 95 cents a minute. When I told her that the upload speed was better on the lower package she said " oh the new modem uses a different protocol " Unreal

What a bunch of ignoramusses (if that's how its spelt ;))

UPC can be such a pain sometimes - some individuals that they seem to employ in important customer facing positions should be replaced, along with whoever is in charge of managing & maintaining standards...

I feel your frustration Tony (hope you have a squeezy mouse handy to take it out on :D )

Thanks for that info bonoman66. Im actually just trying to determine what adaptop i have in device manager. Im assuming its an n seeing an n is in the description. 1505 Draft802.11n Wlan Mini-Card?.

I'll look into inSSIDer you mention but yeah like you say this new modem seems to be superior by all accounts so hopefully signal should be better. The modem is behind the tv knee height but its not as if theres a concrete wall divider, just ply wood doors mainly!. l'll also be on deck for the adaptor in the box when he arrives in case it goes missing!. Roll on the 21st May!

ok - got it now rounders123 - you should be fine with that adaptor so..

I've been spoilt in terms of having good coverage within my own house (I use a Dlink 855 at present) & you are right - there usually shouldn't be any issue with relatively thin walls / floors..like in most new or recently built houses / apartments etc..(excluding self builds where people have the chance to do a better job of it..) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

LOL, deep breath and i'm over it :) I just hate people who instead of identifying and solving a problem make it worse by waffling on, little realising the person they are talking to may know more than they do.

Sorry for off topic

bonoman66 wrote: »
    I feel your frustration Tony (hope you have a squeezy mouse handy to take it out on :D )

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

LOL, deep breath and i'm over it :) I just hate people who instead of identifying and solving a problem make it worse by waffling on, little realising the person they are talking to may know more than they do.

Sorry for off topic

Like when they say XP isn't 'compatible' with 100Mb BB service :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Thanks for that info bonoman66. Im actually just trying to determine what adaptor i have in device manager. Im assuming its an n seeing an n is in the description. 1505 Draft802.11n Wlan Mini-Card?.

I'll look into inSSIDer you mention but yeah like you say this new modem seems to be superior by all accounts so hopefully signal should be better. The modem is behind the tv knee height but its not as if theres a concrete wall divider, just ply wood doors mainly!. l'll also be on deck for the adaptor in the box when he arrives in case it goes missing!. Roll on the 21st May!
    ok - got it now rounders123 - you should be fine with that adaptor so..

I've been spoilt in terms of having good coverage within my own house (I use a Dlink 855 at present) & you are right - there usually shouldn't be any issue with relatively thin walls / floors..like in most new or recently built houses / apartments etc..(excluding self builds where people have the chance to do a better job of it..) :eek:

lol that sounded wrong. I should have said i just happen to be finding what adapter i have just as i seen your post!. Funnily i read on another thread that vista wasnt the best for smooth running and the engineer who rigged it up confirmed it. Imnot having a nightmare with it or anything like it but it is dropping often enough to be a pain at times.

lol that sounded wrong. I should have said i just happen to be finding what adapter i have just as i seen your post!. Funnily i read on another thread that vista wasnt the best for smooth running and the engineer who rigged it up confirmed it. Imnot having a nightmare with it or anything like it but it is dropping often enough to be a pain at times.

No probs at all..

Have to admit - I'm no fan of Vista myself, thought it was absolute sh$te (prefer XP to it :eek:) BUT I like Win 7 64Bit best (so far)..

Like when they say XP isn't 'compatible' with 100Mb BB service :)

How did you know she said that ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

I've been with UPC for 5 or 6 years now. I currently get the 20MB broadband, digital max+ and DVR from them for €76 a month. Naturally the Fibre Power Essential @ €65 a month interests me as I'd be getting home phone and paying less (I'd pay the extra €3if possible to bring the TV package up to Digital Max+).

I rang up to be told I couldn't avail of the offer as it's basically geared towards new customers. If I wanted home phone I'd have to pay extra for that bringing my bill to €89 per month as opposed to €65. I mentioned that I wasn't happy with this as I've been with them for several years and that it's quite a silly policy. I work in retail and put it to the salesman that I couldn't adopt such a policy with my customers.

He's just doing his job and I appreciate that. I asked if he would get a manager or someone to give me a call. So apparently at some point I can expect a call from the customer loyalty department.

I wouldn't even wait for the call back, just ask straight away to be put onto the loyalty Department. If they ask what it is about, tell them you were talking to somebody there already and got cut off. You'll be fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

hey got the new router today,

im on th 50mb package, im getting this wirless

1294669242.png

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The router was installed at 2.30 and still wasn't provisioned by 6 so I rang tech support. Their supervisor attempted to provision it but no luck so the request has gone to the provisioning team with a delay of 24-48 hours so I'm broadband-less for pretty much the weekend. Bah.

parsi wrote: »
    The router was installed at 2.30 and still wasn't provisioned by 6 so I rang tech support. Their supervisor attempted to provision it but no luck so the request has gone to the provisioning team with a delay of 24-48 hours so I'm broadband-less for pretty much the weekend. Bah.

I don't think you'll go into 'Cold Turkey' unless its over 48 hours (for the average user)...but for us lot on this forum, it would probably be a lot less than 24 hours ;)

Hope you get sorted asap Monday..

hey got the new router today,

im on th 50mb package, im getting this wirless

1294669242.png

Pretty darn good so far I'd say...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

And finally! could someone post a link of these home plugs thats recently being discussed!, i dont know what they are but sounds like a fix!

I use these. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160665 Very good.
    I've been with UPC for 5 or 6 years now. I currently get the 20MB broadband, digital max+ and DVR from them for €76 a month. Naturally the Fibre Power Essential @ €65 a month interests me as I'd be getting home phone and paying less (I'd pay the extra €3if possible to bring the TV package up to Digital Max+).

I rang up to be told I couldn't avail of the offer as it's basically geared towards new customers. If I wanted home phone I'd have to pay extra for that bringing my bill to €89 per month as opposed to €65. I mentioned that I wasn't happy with this as I've been with them for several years and that it's quite a silly policy. I work in retail and put it to the salesman that I couldn't adopt such a policy with my customers.

He's just doing his job and I appreciate that. I asked if he would get a manager or someone to give me a call. So apparently at some point I can expect a call from the customer loyalty department.

Loyalty number = 061 272 190 They are not going to get a shock or anything if you ring :) The sales people gave me that number.

Can't understand why no one (as far as I could see) has put it up yet.
    Just got a call from techinical supprt. They are trying to blame my network card for the slower than expected upload speed and want me to call their PC support line at 95 cents a minute. When I told her that the upload speed was better on the lower package she said " oh the new modem uses a different protocol " Unreal

Ask technical support to run a diagnostic on your line. Get them to check the upstream/downstream. Your problem might be there, like me.

You can also check yourself by going into your modem and looking at Status>Connection...after that google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ShaneU wrote: »
    My speeds have actually gone down. When I was on 20mb my speeds were never below 18mb. Now I'm on 25mb, done a speedtest three times since I got it and they've all been below 17mb and I have restarted the router.
    Did three speedtests today, one was 7mb, the next was 11mb. Went into modem settings and turned off firewall protection and got this

1294806970.png

Ask technical support to run a diagnostic on your line. Get them to check the upstream/downstream. Your problem might be there, like me.

She claimed to have done this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Hi Lads.

Sorry it this has been asked but it's to many post to read.

I'm on pack that had 20MB/Sky HD/ Movies/Phone etc.

I didn't even know about upgrade to 25MB since i read it here.

I did a few test this evening and was only getting 19.something MB

I restarted my modem and was still getting this

1294868518.png

Do i have to ring them or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

My brother had his 100meg installed today, however provisioning failed on his modem and he is still offline... I hope I dont get this tomorrow.

FYI the reason the 100meg folks have to get engie visits is they replace all the cabling with triple shielded cabling, I presume to ensure no interference with thel line.

@Never Yes you do need to ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

fionny wrote: »
    My brother had his 100meg installed today, however provisioning failed on his modem and he is still offline... I hope I dont get this tomorrow.

I was told the "provisioning" thing too and I didn't really understand it. What they did was put me back on the 30MB for the time being. I also have an engineer coming out next week to check the line into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Seems as though the reason the new lines aren't active at my house is because of a house 20 doors up after telling them they could put the lines through there house are now saying they aren't allowed.

Absolute disgrace that some people won't allow cables to go by the side of there roof!! It's not like anyone would use that space themselves

No wonder Ireland is so far behind in technology!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭Nollog

Thor wrote: »
    Seems as though the reason the new lines aren't active at my house is because of a house 20 doors up after telling them they could put the lines through there house are now saying they aren't allowed.

Absolute disgrace that some people won't allow cables to go by the side of there roof!! It's not like anyone would use that space themselves

No wonder Ireland is so far behind in technology!

If it's different it must be bad for me!!!
    Same reason towns build out here instead of up.

fionny wrote: »

FYI the reason the 100meg folks have to get engie visits is they replace all the cabling with triple shielded cabling, I presume to ensure no interference with thel line.

Thanks for the additional info fionny.....fingers crossed for my own install tomorrow...If I don't post back here until next Monday, you can assume I've been without a service..hopefully that won't happen...:eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I don't think you'll go into 'Cold Turkey' unless its over 48 hours (for the average user)...but for us lot on this forum, it would probably be a lot less than 24 hours ;)

Hope you get sorted asap Monday..

I'm surviving using an o2 hotshot.

What's surprising me is that I'm quite calm about it - I'd usually be hopping about this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Thanks for the additional info fionny.....fingers crossed for my own install tomorrow...If I don't post back here until next Monday, you can assume I've been without a service..hopefully that won't happen...:eek:

Ill let ye know via 3g one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ive been on 30mb for a few months...only saw this thread today and never knew about these upgrades til today...what happens to my 30mb does it stay at 30?...no changed for me ?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

MarkY91 wrote: »
    ive been on 30mb for a few months...only saw this thread today and never knew about these upgrades til today...what happens to my 30mb does it stay at 30?...no changed for me ?

Upgrade to 50Mb for a few € more or downgrade to 25Mb for a € less.

Check upc and see what is best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Upgrade to 50Mb for a few € more or downgrade to 25Mb for a € less.

Check upc and see what is best for you.

thanks for the reply, so nothing changed for me?..may upgrade to 50 ill check it out :)

Edit: it seems for a extra 3 odd euro i can get the 50 :O if i upgrade do i need them to come out and like give me a better router or will they just do it from their offices like eircom did when i upgraded with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

FYI, anyone wanting to try resolve speeds issues or squeeze a little more out of the connection should try a tcp optimizer.

UPC supply one on their site here :

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/264

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

What is the ip address for the Cisco modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

CorkMan wrote: »
    What is the ip address for the Cisco modem?

I believe its 192.168.100.1

Advertisement