Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

fionny wrote: »
    What speed are your Home Plugs out of curiosity?

The homeplugs are rated at 200Mb p/s

I have 3 running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

hey Guys,

i got the new modem today its says its comes with a usb adapter did anyone get that?

i got a extra point recently installed upstairs, can i put my router there instead of downstairs?

You can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

The homeplugs are rated at 200Mb p/s

I have 3 running.

Cool hopefully my Gigabit one's will handle the full line then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Sweet... saved myself 3 euro per month, and upgraded BB speed from 12 (apparently i was already upgraded automatically?) to 25!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Would someone know. I have 2 computers in a network at home both currently wireless. Im on 20MB and upgrading to 50MB soon. The PC tower in one room is close enough to rig an ethernet cable from the modem in the same room(6ft). So would my laptop from the other room be getting quicker speeds on account of the other computer now powered from ethernet?.

Would the engineer provide a cable if asked?, is this requests reasonable or even the sort of thing your paying for in the €40 fee?.

Also i cant find the quote but i read earlier in this thread some lettered network cards are better than others for the 50-100mb thompson modem. and ive got an L one in the laptop(vista). What would you regard to be the optimum network cards?.

I ask because im with upc a month now and my connection on my laptop in the other room is periodically dropping and back again soon after with a refresh. The other computer who the engineer threw us an external atlantic usb card works a treat. Would i be as well just to use a similar usb atlantic card on my laptop to over ride the inbuilt one?

And finally! could someone post a link of these home plugs thats recently being discussed!, i dont know what they are but sounds like a fix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

hey Guys,

i got the new modem today its says its comes with a usb adapter did anyone get that?

?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i didnt , ffs,

I was under the impression that if you wanted the wireless adapator you had to buy one for 15 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i didnt , ffs,

You have to pay an extra €15 for the usb adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

you have to pay 15euro extra for the usb adapter according to the website

• Advertisement

Clover wrote: »

We tried to order one and were told they had none in stock. The installer gave us one anyway.

fionny wrote: »
    I was under the impression that if you wanted the wireless adapator you had to buy one for 15 euro.

Me too, but i suppose the boards offer of free bundle installation might have covered it as i was'nt charged.

Also i cant find the quote but i read earlier in this thread some lettered network cards are better than others for the 50-100mb thompson modem. and ive got an L one in the laptop(vista). What would you regard to be the optimum network cards?.

There is no such spec as L there is A, B, G, N
    I ask because im with upc a month now and my connection on my laptop in the other room is periodically dropping and back again soon after with a refresh. The other computer who the engineer threw us an external atlantic usb card works a treat. Would i be as well just to use a similar usb atlantic card on my laptop to over ride the inbuilt one?

You could try, this but its probably more to do with signal strength.
    And finally! could someone post a link of these home plugs thats recently being discussed!, i dont know what they are but sounds like a fix!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0046MKOOK/ref=olp_sss_new?ie=UTF8&shipPromoFilter=1&sort=sip&me=&seller=&condition=new

These are the one's i have the slower the cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Hi Guys,

Am thinking of getting the 50mb bundle for €70

I use wireless only and my laptop is only wireless G, what i'm reading here i would only get realistically 30 - 35Mb so might be better sticking with the 25Mb but I would like the new modem as have crap wireless signal in other parts of apartment, new modem should make this much better

Any advise?

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I got one in the Thompson router box

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Am thinking of getting the 50mb bundle for €70

I use wireless only and my laptop is only wireless G, what i'm reading here i would only get realistically 30 - 35Mb so might be better sticking with the 25Mb but I would like the new modem as have crap wireless signal in other parts of apartment, new modem should make this much better

Any advise?

Cheers,

Yes Wireless G wont cut it for 50meg.

You could take the 15euro Wirless N dongle they provide if you want.

If you are happy with 25meg then you could just buy a seperate wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Tony wrote: »
    I got one in the Thompson router box

Good for you , did you open the box yourself ?

They had everything set up, cleaned and packed away when I came back into the room so I did not notice if it came in the box.

Did not pay for one but it would have been nice :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

so is it like lucky dip some people get the adapter some dont

No I just found it when I went to pack the box away

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

They had everything set up, cleaned and packed away when I came back into the room so I did not notice if it came in the box.

Did not pay for one but it would have been nice :D .

I have just has mine installed, and the adapter was in the box and handed to me by installer. Waiting impatiently for modem to initialize:D

Speed test to follow. Could take up to an hour I'm told

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've been with UPC for 5 or 6 years now. I currently get the 20MB broadband, digital max+ and DVR from them for €76 a month. Naturally the Fibre Power Essential @ €65 a month interests me as I'd be getting home phone and paying less (I'd pay the extra €3if possible to bring the TV package up to Digital Max+).

I rang up to be told I couldn't avail of the offer as it's basically geared towards new customers. If I wanted home phone I'd have to pay extra for that bringing my bill to €89 per month as opposed to €65. I mentioned that I wasn't happy with this as I've been with them for several years and that it's quite a silly policy. I work in retail and put it to the salesman that I couldn't adopt such a policy with my customers.

He's just doing his job and I appreciate that. I asked if he would get a manager or someone to give me a call. So apparently at some point I can expect a call from the customer loyalty department.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

paddyk wrote: »
    I have just has mine installed, and the adapter was in the box and handed to me by installer. Waiting impatiently for modem to initialize:D

Speed test to follow. Could take up to an hour I'm told

I've been waiting over 1.5 hrs so far. Then again it took a while the last time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

I've been with UPC for 5 or 6 years now. I currently get the 20MB broadband, digital max+ and DVR from them for €76 a month. Naturally the Fibre Power Essential @ €65 a month interests me as I'd be getting home phone and paying less (I'd pay the extra €3if possible to bring the TV package up to Digital Max+).

I rang up to be told I couldn't avail of the offer as it's basically geared towards new customers. If I wanted home phone I'd have to pay extra for that bringing my bill to €89 per month as opposed to €65. I mentioned that I wasn't happy with this as I've been with them for several years and that it's quite a silly policy. I work in retail and put it to the salesman that I couldn't adopt such a policy with my customers.

He's just doing his job and I appreciate that. I asked if he would get a manager or someone to give me a call. So apparently at some point I can expect a call from the customer loyalty department.

Sorry to hear that - but unfortunately it appears to be the way most (if not all) existing customers have been treated when they contacted UPC to avail to the new offers. Its very poor alright.

Based on my own experience (so far - install due tomorrow), I'd say you'll be fine & will get get whatever you are interested in if you contact (or they contact you) the Customer Loyalty Team (Hey UPC - just gid rid of the Sales Team & replace them with this Customer Loyalty team & save everyone some flippin time & stress!! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Would someone know. I have 2 computers in a network at home both currently wireless. Im on 20MB and upgrading to 50MB soon. The PC tower in one room is close enough to rig an ethernet cable from the modem in the same room(6ft). So would my laptop from the other room be getting quicker speeds on account of the other computer now powered from ethernet?.

Would the engineer provide a cable if asked?, is this requests reasonable or even the sort of thing your paying for in the €40 fee?.

Hi rounders123,

Firstly - I'm no expert - lots of people here will know far more than I do..

Here's my '2 cents' in case it helps - one PC being wired, the other wireless, would the wireless laptop be getting quicker speeds...

Both are drawing from the same modem/router (whether they are wired or wireless) so I'd guess if you are 'hammering' it eg - with heavy torrenting on either connection, it could negatively impact the other - I don't think its safe to assume by default that by making one wired instead of wirless that, the other wireless will be quicker.

I'd imagine that the PC you made wired, should have a better connection though as its directly wired so will have better speed transfer capabililty, & maybe reliabilty of its own connection etc..

If you are having speed issues with wireless on the laptop it might be related to other devices inside the home (microwaves / phones maybe) interefering or maybe even neighbours (their wireless systems if they've any) or placement of the wireless router. Your existing router is probably wireless G, so when you move to 50Mb, the router will be a new one, Wireless n capable. You could try purchasing a new wireless n adaptor for your laptop (if its not got n built in) & you may see an improvement in speed.

You could also try out a utility called inSSIDer which can help identify / troubleshoot wireless devices & inteference potentials etc.. (To see of there's other things detected on the same wireless channel you are using which are affcting its robustness or speed, causing dropouts etc..)

Ask the engineer about the cable - not sure if he'd have the length you need - the usual ones that come with some modems can be fairly short so I'm sure if he has one, he'd probably just give it to you.

Hope this helps.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Just off the phone with UPC. We're existing customers with TV (max, hd, mutiroom and sky sports), 30mb BB (old speed) and phone (anytime world). We were paying ~€141 per month so wanted to move to fibre power ultimate and add all the bells and whistles to make the same package we have currently. The cost would then be €123 pm on the new bundle 'fibre power ultimate'. Was fully expecting to fight and be put through to the loyalty department. Surprisingly I didn't need to do this. Got onto sales and a very helpful girl went though everything and said that's fine and put me on the new bundle. I made her double check the price and she confirmed it. So new modem and 50mb on the way and a total saving of approx €18 per month! Nice one UPC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Yakuza wrote: »
    Can it be set to forward to another device as the DMZ?

The option is there but I haven’t used it.

Bit OT but does anyone know off the top of their heads if you can connect a USB hard drive to the Thomson box?

Just got a call from techinical supprt. They are trying to blame my network card for the slower than expected upload speed and want me to call their PC support line at 95 cents a minute. When I told her that the upload speed was better on the lower package she said " oh the new modem uses a different protocol " Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

so is it like lucky dip some people get the adapter some dont
    What does the adapter do?? I only use wireless myself so bit worried I wont get much improvement on download speeds.
    Also, do they just hand you the router and leave or do they install it for you?? How do I log into my current router settings? 192.168.0.1 is it?? Its not working.:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info bonoman66. Im actually just trying to determine what adaptop i have in device manager. Im assuming its an n seeing an n is in the description. 1505 Draft802.11n Wlan Mini-Card?.

I'll look into inSSIDer you mention but yeah like you say this new modem seems to be superior by all accounts so hopefully signal should be better. The modem is behind the tv knee height but its not as if theres a concrete wall divider, just ply wood doors mainly!. l'll also be on deck for the adaptor in the box when he arrives in case it goes missing!. Roll on the 21st May!

Advertisement