Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

me: "Hello I'd like to upgrade my current package to the 50meg or 100meg package please"

UPC: "Let me check. Sorry sir that is not available in your area"

me: "Fair enough. So my 30meg package will be downgraded to 25meg. What will the price be? including the phone service"

UPC: "42 euro plus the standalone charge "

me: "What about the package advertised on UPC.ie?"

UPC: "That's only for new customers."

me: "Doesn't that appear a little silly to you ? I'm out of contract, you're downgrading my service and there is nothing on the website that indicates any standalone charge."

UPC: "I'm sorry sir that's the way it's set up"

me: "Fine. Put me through to customer loyalty"

Customer loyalty in their generosity gave me a new contract waiving the standalone charge. :rolleyes: I should feel lucky.... right?

What a way to run a business.

Suits me: I get a lower bill saving me €14 a month & I really won't notice the slightly slower speed.

Now, so long as I don't need their tech support all should be fine and dandy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

fionny wrote: »
    and if you move out of upc coverage the contract is waived anyway (or so they told me a few years ago)

Unless you have that in writing, then I wouldn't count on it. UPC have never waived a contract, that I've heard of, instead they make you pay a cancellation fee. If you move, then you are breaking the contract, and a penalty will apply.
    ttcomet wrote: »
    So do I need to cancel nothing or just the broadband?

I wouldn't cancel anything, as it may delay the number porting. When the number is ported, eircom will have no choice but to cancel your phone line (which will terminate the broadband too).
    Cork24 wrote: »
    Dad was paying 60.69 euro for 20mb Bb world anytime phone so rang them got 50mb and down grade phone for 47 a month is that total or do you pay other fees that they don't show on their site

That's all you pay. The stand alone charge of €7.75 is actually now a stand alone charge. If you get more than one product (like broadband and phone) then you don't pay it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

If i am to switch from vodafone broadband to UPC can I use my vodafone wireless modem ?? How do i go about cancelling vodafone and ensuring UPC broadband is switched on around same time that vodafone is switched off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

@Jor_el ya I dont, not worried about it anyway not planning on moving anywhere and the max cancellation fee is 200euro, Which is way better then eircom who years ago told me id have to pay the full remaining tarrif came to like 500euro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

If i am to switch from vodafone broadband to UPC can I use my vodafone wireless modem ?? How do i go about cancelling vodafone and ensuring UPC broadband is switched on around same time that vodafone is switched off?

Vodaphone use phone lines

UPC use cable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Cheers. Do you actually get sent a copy of the contract? Something to sign?

Don't know about a copy of the contract but I think you sign for the new contract when you sign the couriers PDA cos in the top of the window was a check box with 'agree to UPC's terms and conditions' or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Vodaphone use phone lines

UPC use cable
    but wireless modem can be connected to UPC box by ethernet cable no?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

jor el wrote: »
    Unless you have that in writing, then I wouldn't count on it. UPC have never waived a contract, that I've heard of, instead they make you pay a cancellation fee. If you move, then you are breaking the contract, and a penalty will apply.
    To my understanding,if you move, you are not breaking the contract, only if you did not try to move the line with you.
    Now, if the new address have coverage, you have to transfer it to the new address (if not, yes, it would be breaking your contract).
    But if there is no coverage, you are not breaking the contract, they are not providing a service you are paying, so the contract is automatically cancelled.

Yes but Im guessing what you currently have is an ADSL Modem + Router in one?

UPC will provide you with a Cable Router / Router.

serarra wrote: »
    To my understanding,if you move, you are not breaking the contract, only if you did not try to move the line with you.
    Now, if the new address have coverage, you have to transfer it to the new address (if not, yes, it would be breaking your contract).
    But if there is no coverage, you are not breaking the contract, they are not providing a service you are paying, so the contract is automatically cancelled.

That sounds like what they told me all those years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I wouldn't cancel anything, as it may delay the number porting. When the number is ported, eircom will have no choice but to cancel your phone line (which will terminate the broadband too).

That's all you pay. The stand alone charge of €7.75 is actually now a stand alone charge. If you get more than one product (like broadband and phone) then you don't pay it at all.

That's good news as the Bb and phone with stand alone charge. Is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm on the Fibre ultimate bundle which is about 86 quid per month (30mb broadband + HD digital +)

I still have 3 months left on my contract, which is free due to a student offer when signing up. Rang up there to try upgrade from 30mb-50mb but got nowhere. Would have had to sign up to a new 12 month contract (thus losing the 3 free months) to get the new speed.

Tusky wrote: »
    I'm on the Fibre ultimate bundle which is about 86 quid per month (30mb broadband + HD digital +)

I still have 3 months left on my contract, which is free due to a student offer when signing up. Rang up there to try upgrade from 30mb-50mb but got nowhere. Would have had to sign up to a new 12 month contract (thus losing the 3 free months) to get the new speed.

thats fair enough I would have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

thats fair enough I would have to say.

Yep - was chancing my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Damn it, 100mb not available in Waterford (I just called up).

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Yep I got told the same, I was more than surprised as it doesn't seem that long ago they dug up the roads. Got a very helpful lady in the loyalty department though who did her very best to make sure I was happy.

Its probably nothing to do with the cableing, I understand the base-stations around the place need upgrading, the probably just prioritised dublin and cork first being the biggest cities.. hopefully ye wont have to wait long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

serarra wrote: »

That's not how it works. They are contracted to provide the service at your specific address. If you move, then you are breaking that contract. The only way out of a contract when moving is if they chose to let you out, which they may well do.

No, you need a wireless router, not a wireless modem. Irrelevant anyway as UPC will provide a cable modem that has a wireless router built in, so there's no need of an external router except if you have specific requirements that the UPC router can't handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

The stand alone charge of €7.75 is actually now a stand alone charge. If you get more than one product (like broadband and phone) then you don't pay it at all.

Do you have a source for this ? When I phoned them today the UPC representative I spoke to insisted that this was not the case. As did the UPC customer loyalty person.

In order to reduce my bill I have taken out another one year contract.

If both of the UPC representatives I spoke to were incorrect I want to go back to them with indisputable proof that they were incorrect and have them remove the standalone charge without me having to commit to a one year contract.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Tell them it says so on their web site.
    [sigh] the confusion.
    When are we getting the Talk to UPC forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Got this installed an hour ago. Getting 30-40 mb on what I can only assume is an unbonded line. Thats a pretty good speed for a single line!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Getting steady 49.9 on a wired connection but its struggling to get above 35 on either wireless or Belkin mains adapters.
    Anyone any ideas?
    Upload is steady @ 4.9

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

KoolKid wrote: »
    Getting steady 49.9 on a wired connection but its struggling to get above 35 on either wireless or Belkin mains adapters.
    Anyone any ideas?
    Upload is steady @ 4.9

What is your wireless (g or n)?

What speed is your belkin rated at?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Just got the 100 mb in . Same story as others, guy arrived without router as his paperwork said it was just a phone fit , must be frustrating for the installer.

I notice though the upload sped is actually lower than what it was, I'll give it a few hours and check back, think someone said earlir it "fixed" itelf.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Its probably nothing to do with the cableing, I understand the base-stations around the place need upgrading, the probably just prioritised dublin and cork first being the biggest cities.. hopefully ye wont have to wait long.

That makes sense, she said I'd be contacted as soon as it became available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bluesteel7

Yea the 50 MB and 100 MB wont be in waterford until 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 32 plumbman

i have been in contact with upc again , my installer also never had 100 meg modem on board and came back later to install , he also didnt do a speed test as it was on "provision" and said it should come on later and that he would call me , guess what , no call , i am starting to smell a rat , full day later and no 100 meg ahhh me thinks the supply of goods act could be unleashed here with a cancellation and change to something more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Bluesteel7 wrote: »
    Yea the 50 MB and 100 MB wont be in waterford until 2012

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

provisioning took no more than 15 mins here

plumbman wrote: »
    i have been in contact with upc again , my installer also never had 100 meg modem on board and came back later to install , he also didnt do a speed test as it was on "provision" and said it should come on later and that he would call me , guess what , no call , i am starting to smell a rat , full day later and no 100 meg ahhh me thinks the supply of goods act could be unleashed here with a cancellation and change to something more reliable

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

KoolKid wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas?
    Upload is steady @ 4.9

Change the wireless channel from Auto to something else,

Vibe would suggest the same thing, some good advice from him here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72156746&postcount=343

Advertisement