Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Hope they allow existing customers upgrade.

Should do, I'm an existing BB user. Register interest through the boards deal url in my last post.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thanks for all the info & advice vibe. Downloading SSIDer now .
    There is a crude guide to the configuration I have here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61766610

The Belkin router has wireless also . Is there a way to get a good wireless connection between the 2 & just use a network cable from the belkin to the PC.
    This would mean the mains adapters are just being used to connect 1 device & not the actual feed.

Any thoughts.?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Brian017 wrote: »
    For those who upgraded to the 50mb package did your old UPC Connection go down? my old 30mb connection doesn't work anymore. I was told it would take 3 working days for my new modem to arrive? Am I without broadband til Monday or Tuesday until it arrives?
    your connection should stay up and when you restart your modem it should at least give you an improved upload speed if nothing else, even before the new modem arrives.

try pulling the power out for 2 minutes and then giving it another go and if it doesn't work then give them a call tomorrow and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

paddyk wrote: »
    Please say it has improved. I'm getting my BB and phone installed tomorrow, Also in Tallaght, Jobstown, Area. My Estate was just upgraded to Fibre a week or so ago. Was looking forward to lighting fast Broadband:D
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Back when I upgraded from 15Mb to 30Mb, for a while I was getting anything from 12-18Mb, but once it settled (after a week or so iirc) I got from 26-30Mb, usually at the higher end, around 29Mb. So it does seem to take a while to settle in when you upgrade, but once it settles, you should get very close to the top speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Afraid not, d/load is fine but upload way below what is was. I've raised a support query with them. I mentioned it to the installer but he "recommended" I test again in a few hours (as if somethings going to magicially fix itself)

paddyk wrote: »
    Please say it has improved. I'm getting my BB and phone installed tomorrow, Also in Tallaght, Jobstown, Area. My Estate was just upgraded to Fibre a week or so ago. Was looking forward to lighting fast Broadband:D

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Alas...no modems available here in Mullingar either....and no record of my BB upgrade on worksheet - just a new phone which I had specifically told them I did not require when I ordered.....my 100mb put back until next Tuesday now...Oh Dear.....knew it was too good to be true....while they seem to be answering the phones quicker from a customer service point of view, the breakdown in communications seems to be on the installations side now.

Wow I wonder would it be worth my while calling up tomorrow and confirming they have the right things on the work order...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Yakuza wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye on my speeds and report back here.
    Well, after 2½ days of no speed bump, I got on to Technical Support.
    When I told him what the sales chick said about not needing a new modem, I could almost hear his eyes rolling up. I did tell him that I told her I thought I'd need a new modem, but she was fairly insistent they could bump me up at their end.
    *Sales in a not knowing their arse from their elbow shocker*

Yakuza wrote: »
    Well, after 2½ days of no speed bump, I got on to Technical Support.
    When I told him what the sales chick said about not needing a new modem, I could almost hear his eyes rolling up. I did tell him that I told her I thought I'd need a new modem, but she was fairly insistent they could bump me up at their end.
    *Sales in a not knowing their arse from their elbow shocker*

So they sorting you out with the new modem now?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 plumbman

this is what i am getting from my 100 meg download now 2 days later and still no calol back
    upc shxxte 3.docx

plumbman wrote: »
    this is what i am getting from my 100 meg download now 2 days later and still no calol back
    upc shxxte 3.docx

Ring them,

FYI if you click the share option on speedtest it lets you copy a link to share the results via an image.

• Advertisement

thanks for the heads up Fionni and i am sick of ringing them and getting the same answer (we are aware of this and have told installation they will call you blah blah blah)

Fair enough, hopefully it will "settle" down like the 30meg did after a week or two,

1293973457.png just trying that info you gave me Fionni still sh1te

fionny wrote: »
    So they sorting you out with the new modem now?
    I'm expecting a call from sales to book an appointment for a tech to come out and set it up. The Tech Supp guy I spoke with can't make / change orders. (Apparently there was an order in the system under my account for an upgrade without a tech callout). If I don't hear from them by 11:00 I'll get onto them myself again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Ronan wrote: »
    Yes they do, just ask for the loyalty department as the sales and customer services people don't the authority to change your package. You don't even have to kick up a fuss really.

Sorry, I'm having a bit of a blonde moment here...are you joking or do they actually have a "loyalty department"??

Sorry, I'm having a bit of a blonde moment here...are you joking or do they actually have a "loyalty department"??

Yes they do, its basically their cancellations dept but they call it Loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

bk wrote: »
    I've read the manual and I've a similar Thomson modem for my DSL service from Smart, it looks pretty similar. Looks like a pretty solid modem with all the standard features, bridging, dynamic dns, port forwarding, etc.

Just got this modem and Dynamic DNS appears to have been removed in the shipped firmware.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just got this modem and Dynamic DNS appears to have been removed in the shipped firmware.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

plumbman wrote: »
    1293973457.png just trying that info you gave me Fionni still sh1te

Wired or wireless connection to the modem? Make sure to do your speed test with a wired connection.

Just got another call from UPC confirming the appointment for tomorrow *giddy*

I asked her to confirm what was being installed so they bleedin well better turn up with the modem!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When the guy phoned for my install yesterday he didn't know it was for the 100mb option so had no modem, ended up calling in the evening as he had sourced one by then.
    I'd imagine that given the great deals they are simply swamped at the minute and guys are beating new orders/call-outs into the system with an associated number of hebe gebe's.
    It will settle in a while hopefully.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

fionny wrote: »
    Just got another call from UPC confirming the appointment for tomorrow *giddy*

I asked her to confirm what was being installed so they bleedin well better turn up with the modem!

I'll be watching closely to see how you get on Fionny.

Hope all goes well for you.

I'm in the 'same boat' myself with 100Mb+Phone install due for tomorrow between 9am-1pm etc.. ;)

Ill let ye all know, my install is between 1 and 6. Maybe he's going from your gaff to mine :P

Can it be set to forward to another device as the DMZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Why are people ringing and not filling out the boards.ie form in order to get the €50 voucher?

filled the form yesterday and no call back yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

On the 100Mb package. Wireless g giving me roughly 20Mb which is about average for that.
    getting 60Mb over the home plugs.

I tried just a straight ethernet connection earlier and I was getting in the low 90's and 9Mb upload. Probably still stabilising but I am now gonna run an ethernet cable to the 2 main comps and use a switch to hook up my ps3 and xbox. Boom

getting 60Mb over the home plugs.

What speed are your Home Plugs out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

100 Mbps installed earlier. Took over an hour waiting for the modem to be provisioned.

Current results:

Wireless using Thomson box (faster than my Airport Extreme):

1294205254.png

Wired:

1294195125.png

Was getting 102 Mbps earlier but I can live with the above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Just off the phone,upgrading to the 50meg and getting €2 off the bill.Had
    it down to €12 until they realised I had 3 hd boxes,just happy to get any
    thing off or not pay anything extra at all.
    On another note,when I said I wanted to upgrade my BB,I was put straight
    through to another dept ,didn't catch the name and I found them very
    helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

hey Guys,

i got the new modem today its says its comes with a usb adapter did anyone get that?

i got a extra point recently installed upstairs, can i put my router there instead of downstairs?

Advertisement