Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry and Kate Mcann promoting Book on Late Late next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

laura. wrote: »
    And windsock, I don't care what you write, the 25th comment was disgusting, can you imagine if someone said that about your child!

Have you not seen the famous Derek Acorah video or are you just incapable of taking a joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

To repeat as others have said - the McCanns did not protect their children, not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Wibbs wrote: »
    Quoted for truth. Jayzuz Keith would you ever **** off being so sensible at times agreeing with me. It's bloody confusing ya Orange barstew..... *shakes fist*:D I'm waiting for the day Wolfetone or Predator_ thank one of your posts or vice versa.
    I think he has :pac: Hes a traitor! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The book that they're hawking on the Late Late next week is a big clue.

You're a ****ing moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Do you have your eye on your kids 24/7? I don't. they take the bus to and from school. They play outside. They sleep with their bedroom windows open sometimes.

No parent can prepare for EVERY eventuality. Blaming the McCanns is pointless. The Lindburgh baby was stolen from his cot while his parents slept, the Chamberlain baby was taken yards from his parents, , Jamie Bulger was taken from outside the butchers shop where his mother was buying the dinner.

Blaming the parents, who are clearly good people, for one lapse of judgement is stupid. Yes, as parents we clearly wish to protect our children at all times. Unfortunately, sometimes, the kidnappers are waaay ahead of us in that regard.

All I'm saying is, it can happen to any parent, regardless of how much we wish to protect them.
    but they were thier,not a 120 yrds away havin a meal and beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You're a ****ing moron.
    Excellent contribution. Care to back it up with a coherent argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

cosanostra wrote: »
    Most children get abducted when there out playing on their own no difference to mccann their parents weren't supervising them they wouldnt get abducted if they were

fair enough, i know that this occurs and they are just as much responsible for the lack of supervision...

however

out of the parents of the children who were playing out (in their their own country usually in broad daylight)
    how many of them were in a tapas bar eating and drinking??

just seems so wreckless...thats all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

All I'm saying is, it can happen to any parent, regardless of how much we wish to protect them.

I agree with this, of course.
    But I'm sure you'll agree that parents should take reasonable steps to protect their kids. The McCanns didn't. Not by a long shot. And although they have paid a terrible price, their daughter has paid a worse one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Thanks. Morons like yourself deserve little else. A right lot of Jim Corr's we have here don't we. A sad bunch of people. What's the matter with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Einhard wrote: »
    In the likely event that the McCanns had nothing to do with their child's disappearance, I can't even imagine by how much their grief and pain must have been compounded by accusations of amateur sleuths and conspiracy theorists on the internet, safely ensconced in their own homes whilst casting the most vile slurs against a grieving couple.

presuming a lot are we not - i would imagine felling guilty should also be included in that statement , but for what we may never know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do you have your eye on your kids 24/7? I don't. they take the bus to and from school. They play outside. They sleep with their bedroom windows open sometimes.

No parent can prepare for EVERY eventuality. Blaming the McCanns is pointless. The Lindburgh baby was stolen from his cot while his parents slept, the Chamberlain baby was taken yards from his parents, Sarah Payne was taken from the field next to her granparents house, Jamie Bulger was taken from outside the butchers shop where his mother was buying the dinner.

Blaming the parents, who are clearly good people, for one lapse of judgement is stupid. Yes, as parents we clearly wish to protect our children at all times. Unfortunately, sometimes, the kidnappers are waaay ahead of us in that regard.

You really don't get scales of risk at all. Of course bad shít happens to good people, but one aims to minimise that shít. "Oh lets go out for a slap up meal and a few beers and leave our (barely out of the womb)kids alone while we do it" is not minimising risk.

OK lets take a different angle. Two people have a fancy valuable car. Person A gets an alarm and doesn't leave the car in dodgy areas. Person B doesnt bother with an alarm and sometimes forgets to lock it. Both get the car stolen. In both cases the scum who stole it are to blame, but person A shouldn't feel bad, they did what they could. Person B is a fúcking moron.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

It's interesting,I would have a thought a guilty party who got away scott free would let it lie after so many years, you know, out of sight, out of mind, but what do I know. Perhaps writing books and going on the telly to talk about the perfect 'crime' is the way to divert attention.

In other words, I don't agree OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No parent can prepare for EVERY eventuality. Blaming the McCanns is pointless. The Lindburgh baby was stolen from his cot while his parents slept, the Chamberlain baby was taken yards from his parents, Sarah Payne was taken from the field next to her granparents house, Jamie Bulger was taken from outside the butchers shop where his mother was buying the dinner.

Wanna know how me and Wibbs know each other?
    We both went to the same school when we were 3.

Hey, Wibbs! Remember the paint class?
    That was a bitch. You were great at the matchstick men though.
    It was awesome how we both had the freedom and common sense to walk to school when we were 3 years old. It was almost like our parents didn't really give a flying **** about us.
    Ahh, they did though. We know they loved us. Sure they were always so happy when they knew that we were going to be on our own.

It's a good thing this all happened in the 70's. There were no murderers or kidnappers around back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

when you are on holiday all hotels will let you keep you kids close,
    cos they want you to feel safe,after all ist is a strange place to you.
    you do not know who is stayin there!so why would you leave little
    kids alone?even if they are asleep???what if they wake up?
    oh dont worry sure we look in on them every 15-30 mins!
    **** off.keep them with you at all times.

You're a ****ing moron.
    Thanks. Morons like yourself deserve little else. A right lot of Jim Corr's we have here don't we. A sad bunch of people. What's the matter with you?
    Didn't think so. GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

you think the parents were right to leave their children alone while they went drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭laura.

Bertser wrote: »
    Have you not seen the famous Derek Acorah video or are you just incapable of taking a joke?

I'd be the first to laugh if it was slightly funny bertser, it's the context in which it was said...Not Funny..

And i am very capable of taking a joke, thanks for your concern on my sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You're a ****ing moron.

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

bad2dabone wrote: »
    hang on, i'm off to Look at every recorded child abduction case.

Now I know why you're called Dark Crystal.

You're a muppet.

Lol, well done. point well made alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The book that they're hawking on the Late Late next week is a big clue.

Fair enough...if they pocketed the money themselves. If it goes to the Find Maddie fund, then I fail to see how the McCann's are profiteering from exploitation of Maddie's disappearance. Just had a quick google, and AFAICS, the profits of the book are going to the fund. How is that personally profiteering?

Seriously, there were three planks to the accusation that the McCanns were exploiting Maddie's disappearance for their own personal gain:

1: Money was used to pay their mortgage. In some quarters, it appeared that their entire mortgage was paid off, or a substantial portion. In fact, it came to about £10k, a figure that none of the papers mentioned. Why? Because they knew it dampen the indignation and thus their sales.

2: Libel damages. Two newspapers stated that their accusations were entirely baseless, and apologised unreservedly for their slurs. But whereas their initial lies helped convict the McCanns in the eyes of some, their retractions had no such impact in the other direction.

Also, from what I've seen, the damages went o the Find Maddie fund. So, no evidence of the McCann's pocketing the award, as one would have expected from the allegations here.

3: The profits from the book. Again, nothing at all to suggest that the McCanns are pocketing a substantial (indeed, any) of the profits from this book.

I'm sorry to ramble on, but I've nothing better to be doing tonight, and the accusations levelled against the McCann would, if they were true, make them a couple worthy of contempt. However, they don't appear to be true. Not from the evidence presented here. The money which some have stated lined the pockets of her parents, actually went to a fund to find Maddie; a fund in which her parents are but 2 of 7 directors, and whose accounts are scrutinised by the Companies Office and available to the public.

I think people dislike the McCanns. They were obviously grossly negligent. But, more than that, they didn't react as people expected. They didn't break down. They didn't retreat into themselves. They didn't act as we demand such people to act. And that raised peoples' suspicions. And when the newspapers appeared to confirm these suspicions, they becamse set in stone. Even though th papers involved admitting that their accusations had no basis in fact. Fact didn't matter; evidence be damned; opinion and heresay is all that's needed to convict in the court of public opinion. Anyhoo, I'll leave it at that. I hope to got that nobody finds an article proving that the McCanns live in a luxury palace in Barbados paid for out of the fund, or else I'll be eating a lot of words tomorrow!!:D

• Advertisement

I'd be the first to laugh if it was slightly funny bertser, it's the context in which it was said...Not Funny..

And i am very capable of taking a joke, thanks for your concern on my sense of humour

Don't see why you're giving Wibbs such a hard time over it though, he clearly means nothing by it, he sees it as a joke, funny or not that's what it was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Who what now? I made a joke/valid point? Unlikely. :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Don't see why you're giving Wibbs Windsock such a hard time over it though, he clearly means nothing by it, he sees it as a joke, funny or not that's what it was.
    FYP ;)

Wibbs wrote: »
    Who what now? I made a joke/valid point? Unlikely. :confused:

My mistake, getting quite late :P

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭laura.

Don't see why you're giving Wibbs such a hard time over it though, he clearly means nothing by it, he sees it as a joke, funny or not that's what it was.

Each to their own Bertser, each to their own my friend! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

A friend of mine uses "Madeline" as his bluetooth name,so whenever someone checks who is on bluetooth they think they found her,sick bastard really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they've become nothing more than media wh0res, any excuse to get themselves on telly and make money in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

hondasam wrote: »
    you think the parents were right to leave their children alone while they went drinking.

Nobody agrees that was a good idea (for the record, I think simplifying it to make it look like they were simply out on the p!ss is a gross misrepresantation of their actions that night...), but the amount of vitriol directed at the McCanns is misplaced, imo.

They made a mistake, yes. However, the person or persons who took Madeline are to blame, not her parents. All parents of missing children could be held culpable for their actions, but let's not lose sight of the fact that someone was clearly watching and decided to steal a child that night.

As far as I'm concerned, they are the ones I hold culpable, not merely the McCanns themselves.

Each to their own Bertser, each to their own my friend! :)
    Indeed, normal not to find jokes about certain things funny but being the heartless ****e I am that's just not me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Terry wrote: »
    Yes, we all feel sorry for the chld, but the parents were negligent.
    They do not deserve any sympathy.

Regardless of the fact that they were negligent I feel that they do deserve sympathy.
    And now this pair are selling a book to make a few quid on the back of their kid's disappearance? They make me sick.

Maybe, just maybe they are doing it to reawaken interest and remind people of their daughter's disappearance and to ensure that when people are out and around she is in the back of their minds and that subconsciously they will observe.
    WARNING!!!!!!! RANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate how they've gone about this whole thing. They've decided that they should look for their daughter by taking up as much limelight as possible. In doing it they constantly rubbed in our faces that they made a mistake, despite the fact that feckall parents would leave their kids unattended on holiday for even 5 minutes. Obviously it was horrible what happened and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. They made sure to make as much media appearances as possible. Do other families of missing children get that exposure? No.

I hope they find Maddie one day but how her parents have gone about this is awful and it spits in the face of any missing children's families.

I don't get this RANT! Taking up limelight indeed. :rolleyes: If my child went missing you can be damn sure that I would do whatever it would take to keep their face in the public eye for as long as I humanly could. Do other families of missing children get that much exposure? No? Well they should bloody well be trying to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement