Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry and Kate Mcann promoting Book on Late Late next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Look at every case of an abducted child ever recorded. You could make the case that every one of their parents were negligent in some way.

Why so quick to blame the parents instead of the perpotrators, all of whom make it their business to watch and strike when the parents aren't looking.

I honestly don't get the venom aimed at these people. Why lay the blame so squarely at their door??
    Because most parents would be being what most reasonable people would call responsible. Heading out for the night whilst leaving your kids in an apartment is not responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

WARNING!!!!!!! RANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate how they've gone about this whole thing. They've decided that they should look for their daughter by taking up as much limelight as possible. In doing it they constantly rubbed in our faces that they made a mistake, despite the fact that feckall parents would leave their kids unattended on holiday for even 5 minutes. Obviously it was horrible what happened and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. They made sure to make as much media appearances as possible. Do other families of missing children get that exposure? No.

I hope they find Maddie one day but how her parents have gone about this is awful and it spits in the face of any missing children's families.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

laura. wrote: »
    From a 'mod' too ... you should be ashamed of yourself.

Never in my life have i read a more disgusting thread, lets hope all your perfect worlds never come crashing down. And another thing, if ye are all such fab parents maybe you shoud write an effin book.

DONE
    It's little or nothing to do with 'perfect worlds'. Of course no one is going to be a perfect parent. Of course even with the best will in teh world **** can hit the fan. No one can be or perfect in that or anything else, but that doesn't take away from people being incompetent and/or selfish and/or thick.

It's real fcuking simple, you don't leave kids barely off the the teat alone for hours with no adult or near adult sibling supervision. If you do, you are a fcuking moron. I have no personal problem with being that blunt. Do you deserve the loss of your child and the anguish and heartbreak that follows? Hell no, but IMHO you do deserve every bit of the guilt from being a fcuking moron and I'm not a big fan of that emotion. Balanced against the terror and likely horrible end of the kid in question? You're getting off light.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

bad2dabone wrote: »
    because its their fault!

oh man, this is a slow one we got here!

I'll repeat myself, as you seem to have missed the point, Einstein....

Look at every recorded child abduction case - surely you could pin the blame on all the parents there as well. They took their eye off the ball too, didn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Einhard wrote: »
    Damn. My google must be broken.:o

I read that article though, and it states that the McCann's were going to donate the award towards the Find maddie campaign. How is that an act of gross profiteering? Is there evidence to suggest that they kept the money?

Also, people seem to be unwilling to accept that the papers involved apologised unreservedly for their stories, acknowledging that there was "no evidence whatsoever" to support their claims, and that Mr and Mrs McCann are "completely innocent of any involvement in their daughter's disappearance".

I find it instructive that, when presented with this admission, people ignore it in order to focus on the payout, which, it seems, went straignt to the fund established to find Madeline. It appears to me that some people just want the McCann's to be guilty, and will cherry pick evidence to suit that agenda.

Again, I've seen nothing so far to support evidence of the McCann's profiteering from the disappearance of Maddie.

Ah here, will you just give up.

How about you provide us with the link that shows that they did donate the money to the Find Maddie campaign(their own slush fund coincidentally)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

oh the person who took them was a cruel horrible person and will go to hell.....

i dont think the way a person stealing a child does....
    as a parent i can put myself in their shoes easily

parents should have been there to protect their child....
    thats our job...day and night
    these were well educated people that shudda known better even without hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Yeah, I fooked up on that. But where is the evidence that they pocketed the libel damages as you claim? I mean, that's what we're arguing about here. People claim that the McCann's exploited their daughter's disappearance for their own financial gain. A horrific accusation. And yet, very little to substantiate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 no_bother

Look at every case of an abducted child ever recorded. You could make the case that every one of their parents were negligent in some way.

Why so quick to blame the parents instead of the perpotrators, all of whom make it their business to watch and strike when the parents aren't looking.

I honestly don't get the venom aimed at these people. Why lay the blame so squarely at their door??
    Agreed,

I find it difficult to believe the parents were responsible for the childs death and as most of vitriol here seems to be aimed at the parents leaving their children unsupervised - so i guess do most of the posters - but the level of comment about the parents actions is amazing - as a parent of 3 children i cannot claim to have all three in sight at all times! it is simply impossible and if someone is intent on taking one of them then i am not 100% sure i could prevent that if i was unaware of the fact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Look at every recorded child abduction case - surely you could pin the blame on all the parents there as well. They took their eye off the ball too, didn't they?
    You do understand scales of risk don't you? Taking ones eye off the ball is one thing, kicking said ball into another pitch and going for a pint quite another.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I felt so sorry for them 4 years ago. But not now. How can a child go missing into thin air? With the coverage they got, someone, somewhere surely would have found her within a couple of hours.

If I had a missing kid. I dont have kids but if my dog with missing, I wouldn't spend that fund on paying the mortage. I'd keep every penny on finding the kid.

How did they smuggle a dead child out of the apartment in a holiday destination? Throw the body into a black sack and into the boot? How did anyone not see them?

I dont believe them. They should lock them up and throw away the key.

• Advertisement

nope

parents actually decided to stay in the house with their children and they still managed to get abducted....this deserves all the sympathy in the world....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Are there dingos in Portugal?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Its one of these things I hope we find out some day - I don't think they physically killed their Daughter but they are guilty of neglect and for that the loss of their little girl is enough of a sentence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

If you really look at it, Kate and Gerry must be the worst parents on this planet. Who in their right mind leaves a kid of that age in a hotel room on their own, while you fcuk out for a pint and a bite. It truly is bizarre how they could be so thick.

And to do it in a foreign country too when the surroundings are much more less known. You would not even do it in your country but that was taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

hang on, i'm off to Look at every recorded child abduction case.

Now I know why you're called Dark Crystal.

You're a muppet.

no_bother wrote: »
    but the level of comment about the parents actions is amazing - as a parent of 3 children i cannot claim to have all three in sight at all times! it is simply impossible and is someone is intent on taking one of them in my opinion.
    Of course, but I'm fairly sure no_bother you've never chosen to leave any of your three alone and unsupervised for hours in a strange place when they were 3 year old toddlers.

Agreed,

I find it difficult to believe the parents were responsible for the childs death and as most of vitriol here seems to be aimed at the parents leaving their children unsupervised - so i guess do most of the posters - but the level of comment about the parents actions is amazing - as a parent of 3 children i cannot claim to have all three in sight at all times! it is simply impossible and is someone is intent on taking one of them in my opinion.

but would u leave ur house when they are sleepin and go for a meal down the road?? checking on them every now and again.... at 4years and two 2 year olds??

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

You're making it sound like they accidentally left them in the apartment...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You know, this reminds me of the case where the Chamberlains in Australia were villified by the press and public for leaving their baby daughter alone in a tent whilst they ate barbeque nearby. The child was then dragged off by a dingo and they were put on trial for manslaughter by the police, who blamed them for concocting such a ludicrous story.

Of course, people were so quick to judge their parenting abilities, it never occured to them that they may be innocent, grieving parents thrown to the wolves by the press and the baying mob, simply for the committing the crime of leaving their child on it's own temporarily whilst they ate dinner as their child slept, as they thought, safely. She was jailed, later to be pardoned, when the story turned out to be true.

The McCann family have not been convicted of anything.
    However, it is my opinion that they are guilty of child neglect.
    They left their children alone when they went out drinking.

I'm getting closer to pulling out the trump card.
    Surely the above will give you a clue as to where I'm going to go with this.
    Of course, my heart goes out to Maddie, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge her parents as others are. As parents, we all make judgement calls - most are sound; others not so much. the McCanns don't strike me as bad parents at all. I'm sure they feel guiltier than anyone else could ever make them feel.

I'm not a parent and I am an idiot, but I am not so much of an idiot as to think that leaving a 3 year old child alone in order to go drinking is a good idea.

Seriously. What sort of parent leaves a 3 year old child alone so that they can go off and get drunk?

I'd be much quicker to direct my accusations at whoever kidnapped the child, rather than the grieving parents left forever to pick up the pieces and regret that evening 'till the day they die.
    There is no doubt that the kidnapper is to blame for kidnapping the child. We can all see that.
    However, her parents left the child alone. They didn't give her a chance.
    They left the child in an apartment and went off to get drunk.
    That is negligence. How they haven't been charged over that is beyond me.

Wibbs wrote: »
    This in a big way. I'm not paternal in the slightest, but leaving a 3 year old child alone so you can chug a few beers and stuff your faces? Yea in 90% of cases it's not going to to result in a tragedy, but... No, seriously no. You're an adult and a parent, you look after the vulnerable, not sidetrack them for a 2 course tapas. Of course they were negligent. But T, be careful, "victims" these days are all the same and victimhood is sacrosanct, never requiring to take any responsibility. Oh no doubt there will be comeback along the lines of "oh but I feel so guilty now *sob sob*", yea to little too late IMH. Answer one better to realise toddlers aren't to be left unsupervised and alone for hours.

Yeah, the PC brigade.
    Ahh, sure they only went out for a couple of drinks. There's no harm in having a couple of drinks.

Yeah, there is no harm in having a couple of drinks. In fact, a couple of beers in moderation is actually good for you. Red wine in moderation is good for your heart.
    That's all good.

Leaving your child alone for a couple of hours is grand. Sure you're only looking after you health by getting drunk.

You're dead right on the victim mentality, Wibbs.
    Very few people are willing to take responsibility for thir own actions.

**** it. I'm done for the night. AH makes me too angry. Time to walk away for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Agreed,

I find it difficult to believe the parents were responsible for the childs death and as most of vitriol here seems to be aimed at the parents leaving their children unsupervised - so i guess do most of the posters - but the level of comment about the parents actions is amazing - as a parent of 3 children i cannot claim to have all three in sight at all times! it is simply impossible and is someone is intent on taking one of them in my opinion.
    ah yes but,would you leave them alone so you can have a meal with
    friends.only lookin in at them every 15-30 mins?
    no!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

sxt wrote: »
    I see a Gerry and kate mcann have a new book out, and are appearing on the late late show to plug it next week. A good place for them to appear as they are probablly aware that Ryan Tubridy is a soft touch interviewer lacking the guile and skill to ask and pursue tough questions where they are merited . This is a couple who will do anything to court the media and muster public support to thier own gain. A couple who pass the blame on to everyone but themselves for the "abduction"(an abduction in which Columbo could not have solved because there is zero evidence of an abduction), not the fact that they left their children unattended while they wined and dined with friends, and now they have been given a prime time slot on RTE to plug their book and gain the love of the nation

http://mccannexposure.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/friday-13th-may-mccanns-scheduled-to-appear-on-late-late-show/

The Portugese and British investigators didn't believe the Mcanns Story,Their conclusion was that the abduction scenario was impossible and that Madeline died by cause of accident in the appartment.

I have a couple of other questions Which Ryan could ask them?

Why Did the specially trained cadaver sniffer dogs, flown in from the Uk detect the presence of a dead body in your appartment , and in your rental car? Were those dogs lying?Were they incompetent fools like you made the portugese police out to be?

Why do you imply that the "Madeline Fund" is a charity, It is a private limited company? How much do you spend on your legal expenses ,
    , lawsuits against people trying to tarnish your brand name, and on your own personal expenses?

Why didn't you answer the 48 police questions asked you by the police, they seemed like pretty reasonable and straight forward questions ?I can;t spot any trick questions

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/48-Questions-Kate-McCann-Faced-from-Portugese-Police/Article/200808115070874

Some more questions

http://mccannexposure.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/the-madeleine-foundations-50-facts-leaflet/

This is most dangerous and predictable question(s) that the DLB will ask them, which will be pre rehearsed and executed with aplomb by team mcann

"What do you say to those people that say you might have something to do..../know what happened to Madeline...."

Cue emotion from Kate Mcann , and RTE camera zooming in our Gerrys hand squeezing hers , and so on

And Tubridy ending the interview with deep sorrow etched on his face, wishing them well and every success in the future, and how he can't imagine what they are going through etc

http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=sick/sick0006.gif

If they were not a well off couple and had not of whipped this into a media frenzy, this couple would have been rightfully behind bars to this day.

Do you think they should be given the platform to rally the compassion of the public, by being given an easy ride by Tubridy and prime time slot by RTE ,to plug their book and themselves and put forward a view which is contrary to Every police force involved in the case, man, woman and canine and I think that majority of people as well. :confused:

idiots like you believe in Jesus,Santa Claus, 9/11 was done by they US government etc/ landing on the moon was a hoax..
    Luckily people of such low iq are in the minority and as such don't hold back the human race...otherwise we'll still be competing with apes for the best bananas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

TheZohan wrote: »
    Ah here, will you just give up.

How about you provide us with the link that shows that they did donate the money to the Find Maddie campaign(their own slush fund coincidentally)?

No, sorry I won't give up. There's been horrible accusations made against the parents, and their exploiting of their daughter's disappearance. It was stated as a fact. And yet, thus far, nobody has been able to provide any evidence for the gross and personal profiteering.

It smacks really of people getting an idea into their head, and then not allowing the facts to get in the way of their mind made up. And so does your post. One of the earlier links that brummytom (I think) posted, actually stated that the trust fund was independently administered, and was not controlled by the McCann's. So, it's not their slush fund, coincidentally or otherwise.

And seriously, practically everyone on this thread disagrees with me, and vehemently so. They made accusations that I disagree with, and now, after they've failed to prove them, you want me to disprove them?! Come off it...

I'm open-minded. I'm perfectly willing to accept that the McCann's benefitted financially from their daughter's disappearance. But nothing I've read over the years suggested that to me, and thusfar, nothing in this thread has suggested it either.

EDIT: More about the fund here. http://www.findmadeleine.com/about_us/madeleines-fund.html

The McCann's are two of 7 directors on the board. he accounts are published annualy with the Companies Office in the UK. I imagine that office would not take kindly to the use of the money as a "slush fund".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Einhard wrote: »
    People claim that the McCann's exploited their daughter's disappearance for their own financial gain. A horrific accusation. And yet, very little to substantiate it.
    The book that they're hawking on the Late Late next week is a big clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

PinkFly wrote: »
    nope

parents actually decided to stay in the house with their children and they still managed to get abducted....this deserves all the sympathy in the world....

Most children get abducted when there out playing on their own no difference to mccann their parents weren't supervising them they wouldnt get abducted if they were

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭laura.

Have any of you venemous people never made a slight mistake as a parent, granted, you would never leave your kids alone at night. We all know not to do that, but as someone already stated earlier people still do it.

I just don't know why all your hatred is aimed at Kate & Gerry, they have been cleared of all charges, but you just wont let it go...WHY?? I can't imagine or would ever want to imagine how they feel every day of their lives. It would be absolutly unbearable, and if it just happened that they stumbled on here and seen the bile that people are saying about them, they have lost their child for God sake, show a bit of compassion!

And windsock, I don't care what you write, the 25th comment was disgusting, can you imagine if someone said that about your child!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 no_bother

PinkFly wrote: »
    but would u leave ur house when they are sleepin and go for a meal down the road?? checking on them every now and again.... at 4years and two 2 year olds??

Mine are not the same age - but have i stayed in a hotel and dined in the dining room while they were in the bedroom - yes i have - they had a hotel provided babysitter - but sure how would i know anything about that person. could the same have happened to me in this instance - yes it could - am i in any way unusual in my actions - or were they - i don't really think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Don't forget the 'ol blue eyes and blonde hair. Great selling point.

Not quite the same as there was a body I've seen a few documentaries on Jon Benet Ramsey.
    I suppose the fact it's never been solved and there were so many theories keeps it interesting.

I doubt it will ever be solved and the same for the McCann case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Ya shoulda seen how fast the aul boys in blue came round the gaff when I put Madeline McCann down on the census form...

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Who in their right mind leaves a kid of that age in a hotel room on their own, while you fcuk out for a pint and a bite. It truly is bizarre how they could be so thick.

And to do it in a foreign country too when the surroundings are much more less known. You would not even do it in your country but that was taking the piss.
    Quoted for truth. Jayzuz Keith would you ever **** off being so sensible at times agreeing with me. It's bloody confusing ya Orange barstew..... *shakes fist*:D I'm waiting for the day Wolfetone or Predator_ thank one of your posts or vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wibbs wrote: »
    You do understand scales of risk don't you? Taking ones eye off the ball is one thing, kicking said ball into another pitch and going for a pint quite another.

Do you have your eye on your kids 24/7? I don't. they take the bus to and from school. They play outside. They sleep with their bedroom windows open sometimes.

No parent can prepare for EVERY eventuality. Blaming the McCanns is pointless. The Lindburgh baby was stolen from his cot while his parents slept, the Chamberlain baby was taken yards from his parents, Sarah Payne was taken from the field next to her granparents house, Jamie Bulger was taken from outside the butchers shop where his mother was buying the dinner.

Blaming the parents, who are clearly good people, for one lapse of judgement is stupid. Yes, as parents we clearly wish to protect our children at all times. Unfortunately, sometimes, the kidnappers are waaay ahead of us in that regard.

All I'm saying is, it can happen to any parent, regardless of how much we wish to protect them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement