Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry and Kate Mcann promoting Book on Late Late next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

cassid wrote: »
    I feel sorry for poor little Maddie, whatever has happened to the little pet.

As a mum of a 2 & 4 yr old, I could never leave my children on their own, my 4 yr old would have a heart attack if he woke up and discovered we were not around and the 2 yr old would have a field day destroying everything. Children this age are just too young to be left unsupervised and thats the part I don't understand.

totally agree. It just makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Only if you're a bit mental does it do the opposite.

Well you're the one with the infatutaion with lamps!;)

It does the opposite in some respects, because the vehemence of the reaction here led me to expect some form of "smoking gun" evidence showing the McCanns exploiting their daughter's disappearance for gross personal profit. Yet, what I'm presented with is the fact that approx £10k of their mortgage wa spaid off in the months after their child's disapperance. If that's the standard of evidence on which the other charges are laid, then it does actually lead me to believe that the charges have little credence.

As I said, I'm willing to change my mind, but not on such a flimsy basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I see there are people here quick to blame Maddie's parents for profiteering from her disappearance - yet, on this same forum, there are people defending John Venables right to privacy. Only on AH could you have people slating the McCanns and defending the rights of a child killer.

I suspect the McCanns would pay any amount of money to have their beautiful daughter back and they undoubtedly spend countless hours of every day wishing they could go back to that evening and change what they did that night.

Laying the blame with a pair of grieving parents is beyond disgusting - no parent should ever have to go through that pain. No parent is perfect; we all make mistakes. I certainly don't begrudge those people one cent, when the likes of Venables get hundreds of thousands of tax payers money to protect them. If you don't agree with the McCanns choices, don't buy the book.

I hope beyond hope these poor people eventually get some closure on what happened to their child. I too would spend every cent I had searching for my child if I was in their situation.
    I disagree.
    You don't leave a 3 year old child alone in a foreign country.
    Actually, you don't leave a 3 year old alone anywhere.

Yes, we all feel sorry for the chld, but the parents were negligent.
    They do not deserve any sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Einhard wrote: »

It does the opposite in some respects, because the vehemence of the reaction here led me to expect some form of "smoking gun" evidence showing the McCanns exploiting their daughter's disappearance for gross personal profit. Yet, what I'm presented with is the fact that approx £10k of their mortgage wa spaid off in the months after their child's disapperance. If that's the standard of evidence on which the other charges are laid, then it does actually lead me to believe that the charges have little credence.

As I said, I'm willing to change my mind, but not on such a flimsy basis.

You've been shown three ways in which they've made money out of it.

1. Using money for purposes other than what it was raised for.

2. Libel award - which wasn't their own doing but they did benefit.

3. a nice book deal.

If you want to continue to ignore the facts, go ahead.

The child deserves sympathy. The parents, deserve a trial to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Terry wrote: »
    Everyone feels sorry for the child, but nobody is willing to point out that the parents are responsible for her disappearance.

No, whoever took madeline from her bed was responsible for her disappearance.
    This incident could have happened while they were sleeping in their bed.

Yes, they probably shouldn't have left them alone, but I suspect they didn't in their wildest dreams, think someone would snatch their child from their bed in a holiday resort, yards from where they were sitting.

Hindsight is 20/20 vision, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Someone hasn't seen Anchorman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What is it with tabloids and names?

The McCanns never used Maddie, their daughter was called Madeline and you'll see that in any interview or quote. Even tonights LLS
    Same as Mrs Bulger called her son James, the tabloids changed it to Jamie

Ok, not a huge point but I'm sure if there is another unfortunate case the tabloids will immediately change the names and run with it.
    And then that's what people go with, including this thread

btw - am I the only one who looks at Kate McCann and thinks: "I would"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The McCanns never used Maddie, their daughter was called Madeline and you'll see that in any interview or quote. Even tonights LLS

Ok, not a huge point but I'm sure if there is another unfortunate case the tabloids will immediately change the names and run with it.
    Catchier headlines. Apparently Kate Middleton is normally called Catherine but the DM changed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

The more child-like name gets more immediate sympathy I guess. Although it is a bit sad that children like that are remembered by a name that was never really theirs.

I've addressed this. £10k paid off their mortgage in the 6 month period after the disappearance of their child? During which they were not only out of work, but living in a foreign country. I'm sorry, but that is not evidence for the gross profiteering which has been claimed.

I've seen no evidence for this, beyond the fact that libel was awarded. Did they personally benefit from it? Did they give it to charity. Contribute it to their Find Maddie fund?

Incidentally, if I were wrongly accused in the media of killing a child, let alone my own, and was awared damages, would you accuse me of greed and exploitation if I decided to keep it?

3. a nice book deal.

Again, have they pocketed this? Or does it go to the fund they set up?
    If you want to continue to ignore the facts, go ahea

I'm questioning the opinions that you and others present. In one instance, the supposed paying off of their mortgage, that questioning has been entirely justified. So far, I've seen nothing to justify the vehemence of the "profiteering" accusations, and nothing really to back them up.

Someone hasn't seen Anchorman :)

I have. I just want to know does he really love the lamp, or is he just saying that because he saw it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yes, they probably shouldn't have left them alone, but I suspect they didn't in their wildest dreams, think someone would snatch their child from their bed in a holiday resort, yards from where they were sitting.

The child would have had a chance were there an adult looking after her.
    However, there was not.

Any child is at risk of abduction. It doesn't matter who they are, who their parents are, or where they live.
    What does matter is that children need constant protection.

That child did not have any adults protecting her.
    No parent should ever leave their child alone.

I'm leaving it at that for the moment. I'm right, and they were wrong.
    If you want to continue this, then I'll play my trump card.
    I'm going to win this argument either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Aoifey! wrote: »
    The more child-like name gets more immediate sympathy I guess. Although it is a bit sad that children like that are remembered by a name that was never really theirs.
    Don't forget the 'ol blue eyes and blonde hair. Great selling point.

Hundreds of missing kids but because the majority of them seem to come from poor/ethnic backgrounds, they are largely ignored by the media. Disgusting.

And now this pair are selling a book to make a few quid on the back of their kid's disappearance? They make me sick.

I disagree.

You know, this reminds me of the case where the Chamberlains in Australia were villified by the press and public for leaving their baby daughter alone in a tent whilst they ate barbeque nearby. The child was then dragged off by a dingo and they were put on trial for manslaughter by the police, who blamed them for concocting such a ludicrous story.

Of course, people were so quick to judge their parenting abilities, it never occured to them that they may be innocent, grieving parents thrown to the wolves by the press and the baying mob, simply for the committing the crime of leaving their child on it's own temporarily whilst they ate dinner as their child slept, as they thought, safely. She was jailed, later to be pardoned, when the story turned out to be true.

Of course, my heart goes out to Maddie, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge her parents as others are. As parents, we all make judgement calls - most are sound; others not so much. the McCanns don't strike me as bad parents at all. I'm sure they feel guiltier than anyone else could ever make them feel.

I'd be much quicker to direct my accusations at whoever kidnapped the child, rather than the grieving parents left forever to pick up the pieces and regret that evening 'till the day they die.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I disagree.

This in a big way. I'm not paternal in the slightest, but leaving a 3 year old child alone so you can chug a few beers and stuff your faces? Yea in 90% of cases it's not going to to result in a tragedy, but... No, seriously no. You're an adult and a parent, you look after the vulnerable, not sidetrack them for a 2 course tapas. Of course they were negligent. But T, be careful, "victims" these days are all the same and victimhood is sacrosanct, never requiring responsibility. Oh no doubt there will be comeback along the lines of "oh but I feel so guilty now *sob sob*", yea to little too late IMH. Answer one better to realise toddlers aren't to be left unsupervised and alone for hours.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

allegedly took her.
    Wouldn't have happened if the parents were actually being parents.
    Yes, they probably shouldn't have left them alone

you think? yeah, probably was a bad idea alright.
    , but I suspect they didn't in their wildest dreams, think someone would snatch their child from their bed in a holiday resort,

You don't leave 3 children under 4 years old alone because you think they'll be abducted, you keep the children close because kids that small can literally get up to anything to hurt/injure themselves. The irresponsibility of the parents was criminal.
    yards from where they were sitting.

120 yards. And out of sight.

Not being a pair of ****ing eejits and looking after the kids properly is better than hindsight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

her parents werent arsed wat was happening to her when they were feeding their faces and havin a good time....
    what hope had she got??
    thats wat parents are for. they shudda protected all of their children and they failed...
    they were very lucky it wasnt all of their children that went missing...
    i will defo not be watching them next week....
    for fear of ruinin my telly....
    ill be listening to my son sleeping safely in bed...
    the end.

3. a nice book deal.

If you want to continue to ignore the facts, go ahead.

BTW, could you provide a link to this libel award of theirs? I've checked myself, and all I can find is some articles from january 2010, in which the McCann's state that they are confident of winning the case. Thusfar, there doesn't appear to have been a judgement. Somewhat difficult to profit from damages that haven't even been awarded yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

the questions that always seemed to be there: how is it that the twins never woke up when it happened - whatever it was?
    and if it was abduction then why did they take madeleine and not the twins? or maybe a twin as they were younger.
    there was never evidence of forced entry - why not?
    her blood was found in the hire car and traces found in the flat, why? - kids hurt themselves but it leaves questions.

these are the types of questions that raise flags in peoples minds - perhaps the book explains it from the mcanns perspective although it doesnt seem likely they'll give out any information we dont have.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭laura.

WindSock wrote: »
    Him gibbering 'Maddie loves Dick' won't go down too well I'd imagine.

From a 'mod' too ... you should be ashamed of yourself.

Never in my life have i read a more disgusting thread, lets hope all your perfect worlds never come crashing down. And another thing, if ye are all such fab parents maybe you shoud write an effin book.

DONE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

BTW, could you provide a link to this libel award of theirs? I've checked myself, and all I can find is some articles from january 2010, in which the McCann's state that they are confident of winning the case. Thusfar, there doesn't appear to have been a judgement. Somewhat difficult to profit from damages that haven't even been awarded yet...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7303801.stm

You're not looking hard enough then:
    KATE and Gerry McCann accepted £550,000 libel damages today over allegations that they were responsible for the death of their daughter Madeleine.
    The couple, who were not at London's High Court for the hearing, said they were pleased Express Newspapers had admitted the "utter falsity" of the articles.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/Kate-and-Gerry-McCann-receive.3894432.jp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7303801.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

laura. wrote: »
    And another thing, if ye are all such fab parents maybe you shoud write an effin book.

DONE

whos claiming to be a fab parent???

common sense when making decisions

thats all

And another thing, if ye are all such fab parents maybe you shoud write an effin book.

Parenting:

Chapter 1:

Don't leave your 3 kids alone while you and your mates have a few beers and dinner. Take your kids with you in their buggies. Enjoy your meal and beers on the balcony of your apartment. Or, if you're a wealthy doctor couple and can afford it, hire a babysitter.

I think it's gonna be a bestseller!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

From a 'mod' too ... you should be ashamed of yourself.

Never in my life have i read a more disgusting thread, lets hope all your perfect worlds never come crashing down. And another thing, if ye are all such fab parents maybe you shoud write an effin book.

DONE

Not leaving 3 kids under the age of 4 alone while you wine and dine isn't being a 'fab' parent. It's just being a parent.

PinkFly wrote: »
    her parents werent arsed wat was happening to her when they were feeding their faces and havin a good time....
    what hope had she got??
    thats wat parents are for. they shudda protected all of their children and they failed...
    they were very lucky it wasnt all of their children that went missing...
    i will defo not be watching them next week....
    for fear of ruinin my telly....
    ill be listening to my son sleeping safely in bed...
    the end.

Look at every case of an abducted child ever recorded. You could make the case that every one of their parents were negligent in some way.

Why so quick to blame the parents instead of the perpotrators, all of whom make it their business to watch and strike when the parents aren't looking.

I honestly don't get the venom aimed at these people. Why lay the blame so squarely at their door??

Why lay the blame so squarely at their door??

because its their fault!

oh man, this is a slow one we got here!

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »

Damn. My google must be broken.:o

I read that article though, and it states that the McCann's were going to donate the award towards the Find maddie campaign. How is that an act of gross profiteering? Is there evidence to suggest that they kept the money?

Also, people seem to be unwilling to accept that the papers involved apologised unreservedly for their stories, acknowledging that there was "no evidence whatsoever" to support their claims, and that Mr and Mrs McCann are "completely innocent of any involvement in their daughter's disappearance".

I find it instructive that, when presented with this admission, people ignore it in order to focus on the payout, which, it seems, went straignt to the fund established to find Madeline. It appears to me that some people just want the McCann's to be guilty, and will cherry pick evidence to suit that agenda.

Again, I've seen nothing so far to support evidence of the McCann's profiteering from the disappearance of Maddie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement